Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Facts of the Hobby: Comic Fatigue VS "Fanboy Fade"

Historically, when posting on this forum, I've been at work or on a random internet browse. My comments, be they within another topic or when creating a new topic altogether, can often seem jumbled or even illicit debate towards a point I wasn't even trying to make. So, with that in mind, I came up with the idea for this topic "genre" as it were as a place for those relatively new to the hobby to ask for the advice of those more steeped in the tradition.

Facts of the Hobby, I'm calling it. Feel free to use that moniker as you please.

I've also elected to allow myself time to "sort out" my thoughts before posting, so hopefully what follows is a more concise representation of EXACTLY the notion I intended to broach with this audience.

Onto the main event. (forgive the wordiness of this post, I tend to be more loquacious and long winded when I've put my mind to the task of writing)

In my wanderings about the comic community, I've heard tell of comic fans who've simply (at one point or another) "fallen out" of the hobby, only to be entranced by its colorful pages once more in their future. Usually this individual is a person who began reading as a child, fell out of it around the teenage years and returned as an adult.

Secretly, I've always been worried that this was a merely an inevitable "fact" of the hobby, a rite of passage all comic fans must endure in their tenure as a comic fan.

As someone who only started reading comics regularly with 'Rage of the Red Lanterns: Final Crisis Special', that hidden concern has been squashed by all of the wondrous comics (and comic podcasts) I've discovered since then. Lantern titles led to DC titles, DC titles led to Marvel titles, Marvel led to Indy and soon enough, my comics consumption rounded its way back to the characters I had only a single issue of each as a child: Nexus, Union, Ms. Marvel & Modred the Mystic

When I thought I had no further to go, Fredric Wertham was introduced to me and comics history became my girl Friday. Given that I've only been regularly reading comics since 2008, what I've learned is quite substantial. I'm a sponge of comics information, continuity and history.

But my concern has resurfaced.

I've made no secret, both here and on my podcast that DC comics editorial, creative and even business practices are of major concern to me. The direction they seem to be taking their characters and company seems to be one that values money over creativity and mass market ready storytelling (eager to be adapted someday to the larger audience) as opposed to occasional love letters to the fans that have been supporting the company for generations.

Although I still get excited to flip through my free PREVIEWS every month (shoutout to my LCS, Tribe Comics and Games) I worry that my interest in the hobby has become more habit than hobby.

So I put it to you, my fellow comic fans who enjoy dissecting every panel of a comic page AND every aspect of the comic life, is "fanboy fade" a reality? Is it a fact of comic geekery that, eventually, we all go through a "break" with our love of the graphic storytelling medium? Do you think I'm experiencing the tell tale signs of an upcoming break? Or is my despair over DC affecting my passion overall? (Remember, I love DC characters and history above all others.)

What about you? Have you been having the same internal struggle? Are you worried that your disinterest in the direction of so many comics is the result of your fading interest in the hobby?

Or have I just not been a fan long enough to know that, hypothetically speaking, the direction of comic storytelling is cyclical and, a few months or years from now, DC (and other publishers) will be putting out comics that I adore once more?

Comments

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I'll describe my experience. I started collecting DC and Marvel in 1974 at age 10, and quit in 1980 at age 16. I just matured out of the hobby; the only thing interesting in 1980 was Miller's Daredevil, and the Uncanny X-Men. Everything else was just a constant rehash of what came before, and DC was particularly bad. I eventually went to college and got busy with life. My little brother, meanwhile, continued reading comics and kinda mentioned that Watchmen was a big deal and Miller's Dark Knight was cool, so I did read the occasional comic (and realized they were getting much better), and later on I read Maus, but I largely I stayed away from the hobby.

Finally, I got back into the hobby in 2004 in a big way. And I was buying stuff like crazy. When the recession hit, however, I had to trim back, so I once again stopped buying the Big Two in monthlies. And Event Fatigue was also a factor. But I still read comics; I buy discounted copies of Fables and other non-superhero trades; I borrow from the library.

I don't think I'll ever abandon comics again. But I constantly adjust what I'm reading, based on several factors.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I have a very long and complicated answer to this and I'm not ready to dive into it.

I'm in a funk right now. For the last several weeks I have had no desire to read anything. It's been feeling like work, I haven't been enjoying it and so I'm stepping out for awhile. My last break from comics lasted twelve years.
  • Options
    My break was 15-18. Since then I've had lulls (like now for instance) but never completely dropped out. I could imagine a scenario where that does happen, like once I've read most of the classic stories featuring characters I like, but am not interested in their current stuff.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I started reading comics back in 1978. And didn't stop until August 23rd 1992 when I shipped off to Arm BCT.

It wasn't until I moved to SE Texas that I got back into comics. This was March of 97. Once Preacher and Hate ended I stopped again.

Then in 2005 I discovered CGS and got back in. Still mostly reading older stuff.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Had my ups and downs ice the last 30 years or so, but have always maintained a level of interest and involvement. Most my waning has been in regards to certain characters. I've gone into and out if titles like Spider-Man, superman, cap, punisher xmen etc. right now is the first time in my fan life I'm not getting any monthly books. There are a couple I could be getting but nothing is appealing enough to warrant the expense. Comics now are just ok at best IMO and many are plain bad (DC especially to me). I'm getting trades periodically now of Locke and key, Y, and walking dead. If/when I learn of something spectacular, ill happily check back in and see what's what, but at this point Im in a state where I feel I've seen and read it all. Or enough anyway. Years back i stopped committing what I was reading to memory and started forgetting much of what I had previously read. feels like everything is just repeating itself or simply not being written for me or my tastes anymore.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Placeholder for a much longer response:

Yes.

I never completely stopped buying comics, but there have been periods where I was buying very few.

Currently, my books are piling up unread.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    My "fanboy fade" was enforced - we hit financial hardships in my family and comics were a luxury that needed to be sacrificed. Even still, I bopped down to the local shop every month just to look at books and keep up with the scuttlebutt.

I have been reading funnybooks pretty much from the moment I saw the purty pictures in my older sisters copies of Supergirl, and I'll likely be reading one on my deathbed in a hospital somewhere (God-willing, of course).

What fades and comes back is my love of particular companies, characters, and genres. While I'm a DC Nation Citizen through and through, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy Marvel, Image, etc. And the books that tend to stick with me the most are the indie titles like Zot!, Strangers in Paradise, Bone, and Elfquest (which I've only started reading but I can tell you right now will be in my collection for life).

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I started reading comics "full time" at around the age of 9(1989) and was out by 11(1991). In 2001, after getting married, I was feeling nostalgic for the comics of my youth and bought a bunch off Ebay. That was all it took. I found a LCS and haven't looked back.

The "fanboy fade" is something I feel from time to time. The reason I never leave the hobby, unlike when I was a kid, is because I have more access to many different comics..something that I didn't have in my youth. I know that as soon as DC pisses me off Marvel is publishing something awesome. When the big two suck there is Image, IDW, Dark Hoarse, and many many independent titles to keep my satisfied until I feel the superhero bug again.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I've told my origin story before, but I started reading comics at 5/6 when my cousin gave me the entire mutant massacre as a christmas present. Mom helped me read them. I read comics until I was 15/16 but basketball, friends, and fishing took comics place.

I started reading comics here about 5 years later when I was up at UGA (2001). I wasn't real serious about it; I would pick up trades here and there (Preacher, Sin City, The Tick). Comics were never a huge deal to me until 05-06 (the best two years of comics since 85-86). I've been an avid buyer of comics since then.

However I mini-murd stack of comics/trades that I've not gotten too. I fade from reading because other things catch my interest. It can fishing, books, legos, hunting, work, etc. I don't think I've ever left comics bc I thought they were terrrible.
  • Options
    We had a pattern at the comic shop I worked at so predictable, we would joke about it: One of the subscribers who bought a lot (over 50) every month would come in and tell us about the great girl he had started dating. Then, he’d bring her to the shop and introduce her around….and in a couple of weeks, he’d cut some books. A few months later, he’d cut a few more books, saying he was saving for something. Then, he’d get engaged, a few more books would drop…until by the time he was married, he would end his subscription.

Some people grow out of it…a lot of people left comics after Crisis because “their” DC was gone and they hated the new “Marvel-ized” version. In the 90’s, people left because there was too much and it all looked back. In the early 2000’s, people left because of the switch to trade paperbacks and long form stories rather than the “soap opera” approach to stuff. I’ve been hearing for years about how people are leaving because of price (one guy on the Timey-Atlas discussion group said comics weren’t any good once they went to 15 cents).

Myself, there have been times I have bought fewer comics due to disinterest or finances, and I am terribly behind on things due to a hectic schedule, but I’ve always liked reading them. I have disconnected from fandom at times as well, and to be honest, if The Comics Forum goes the way fo the Bendis Board, which there are no indications of, I probably will not be involved in any sort of discussions on comics other than on my own podcast because…fandom is too focused on the movies and TV, which are nice, but…I like me some funny books.

Back in ancient history when I started collecting, the idea was that you read comics until you discovered girls. Then, when you went to college, then when you got a job and so on. I think for each person, it happens when it happens. The art styles change, the storytelling changes, the industry changes, people do and don’t have disposable income.

For me, worse comes to worse, I’ll always have my EC Box sets and my Archives, Masterworks, Showcases and Essentials.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    My other big fear is that I'll end up like Burgess Meredith in that famous Twilight Zone episode where he finally has time enough for everything and can sit and read and breaks his glasses. I have stacks of books I've been picking up because they were really cheap at the time, or I have been collecting them and "will get around to it".

So I've forcibly set aside an hour or so (at minimum) to sit, in my comfortable chair, and just read. Not for any purpose like writing a review or so I'll be ready for the next book when it comes out, but simply because there was a time in my misspent youth when lying on my bed reading a stack of comics was one of the greatest things ever. Somewhere that got lost along the way with me. It's not that comics became a chore to read, but I wasn't getting that same sense of wonder out of the reading.

Because the last thing I want is to have someone come in after my death, look at shelf after shelf of books and think "Wow, he must have been quite the comic book reader!" only for my wife to say "Actually, half these things I don't know that he ever opened up." :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

My other big fear is that I'll end up like Burgess Meredith in that famous Twilight Zone episode where he finally has time enough for everything and can sit and read and breaks his glasses. I have stacks of books I've been picking up because they were really cheap at the time, or I have been collecting them and "will get around to it".

Alternatively, you could just stock up on reading glasses.
  • Options
    Crap. I just went to use that Burgess Meredith line on the Time Bubble thread. Son of a ... !
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Torchsong said:

So I've forcibly set aside an hour or so (at minimum) to sit, in my comfortable chair, and just read. Not for any purpose like writing a review or so I'll be ready for the next book when it comes out, but simply because there was a time in my misspent youth when lying on my bed reading a stack of comics was one of the greatest things ever. Somewhere that got lost along the way with me. It's not that comics became a chore to read, but I wasn't getting that same sense of wonder out of the reading.

After not reading anything really since March I'm trying to set aside 30 minutes a day to read comics. I can read books at night (I've got one of the fancy nooks that lights up), but it's hard to read comics in the dark.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Started reading comics in the mid 80's when I was around 8 or 9. Marvel was the only thing my local grocery store sold. Dropped out in the 90's due to the grocery store no longer selling comics and not knowing where else to get them.

Got back in during the mid 2000's. Fell in love with DC. Started mostly trade only about 3 years ago. I tend to buy mostly older stuff but there are some newer things I follow. The N52 has soured me on a lot of what DC is doing.

Because of Air Force personnel cutbacks due to sequestration, I have to switch careers now into a lower paying job which will mean less comics. I am not getting out completely, but I am going to have to be a lot more selective in what I buy. I have been spending $150 a month on average for years. Looking to cut that in half and maybe even skip a month every once in a while. Also, I have a comic book room that is full of trades. I do not have too much more room for more and I do not want to go digital. This is making cutting back a little easier to deal with.

I can see myself in a few years getting out (almost) all the way. I have almost all the old stuff I want - at least that is in print. There is not really that much new stuff that would keep me in the hobby. I would still check previews though to see if something is finally being released in trade.
  • Options
    Something I believe I have notice that many fans who have gotten 'fed up' have in common. A hughley bloated dependence on Marvel/DC for their comics entertainment. Both being part of huge money forward conglomerates may effect their decision making rather then a view of the hobby itself.

Switch to the smaller companies that may be able to release things in a more creative manner and not have to rely on big numbers. I'm much happier having done it.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407

Something I believe I have notice that many fans who have gotten 'fed up' have in common. A hughley bloated dependence on Marvel/DC for their comics entertainment. Both being part of huge money forward conglomerates may effect their decision making rather then a view of the hobby itself.

Switch to the smaller companies that may be able to release things in a more creative manner and not have to rely on big numbers. I'm much happier having done it.

I agree with this. And its just easier to follow a story when you get away from superheroes. If you pick up Persepolis, its not like you have to have read five crossovers to make sense out of Marji's life.

• Options
    I read from the mid 70's till I went to college in 1983 and trailed off as I got into school. Secret Wars and new suit Spidey was the last things I got. Then started a nearly 20 year lull. I may have looked at an occasional spinner rack. Got married and my wife was a STNG fan but I was still in non-geek mode.

The catalyst of was the talk the Spider-man movie. What I had hoped for as a kid was finally happening. It was 1999 so I was still about 3 years from buying a comic. What got me in a store was saying "Why wait for the next Spidey movie when I can read the source material?" So I started back and thanks to Wizard magazine and then CGS and DCBS I got back into it good. I sorted faded when I started only buying dollar bin books and stopped going to the shops. This went till 2011 or so and I took a break and I went back in with Superior Spider-man.

I now buy some things digital and watch the shows and movies and hang out here. If I do completely fade out I want finish up at Heroes Con next year. Fitting place to go out :)
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I'm hearing a recurring theme here about getting married and being out of the game for a decade or two and then getting back in down the road. I don't think the love of comics ever goes away I think you make decisions necessicary to put food on the table when you have a young family. I wasn't able to collect from about 23-33 because I was raising 4 kids. Now that the situation has changed and careers have evolved to maybe a more comfortable place and there is some disposable income involved I can pick up some titles. I got back on the train in 2007 after about a decade absence and allowed myself 7 titles initially. I think All New Atom with Gail Simone was one of those. The Mark Waid (you can't go home again Wally West) Flash and Brad Meltzer's Justice League of America were starting points for me. I was talking geek stuff with a couple guys at work and discoved podcasts for the first time (CGS & Around Comics specifically) That really turned me on to some things I may not have run across otherwise (Matt Fraction before he became a Marvel Architect for example).
  • Options
    random73 said:

I'm hearing a recurring theme here about getting married and being out of the game for a decade or two and then getting back in down the road. I don't think the love of comics ever goes away I think you make decisions necessicary to put food on the table when you have a young family.

Plus, you know, the ol' mid-life crisis kicking in probably helps.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    The first time I quit it was for 2 reasons.

1.I was shipping out for Army BCT and went 4 months without any comics.
    2.I was burnt out on 90% of the comics I was reading. I did keep getting 4 titles.

The second time,well I started working almost 60 hours a week. The two titles I loved ended.
  • Options

random73 said:

I'm hearing a recurring theme here about getting married and being out of the game for a decade or two and then getting back in down the road. I don't think the love of comics ever goes away I think you make decisions necessicary to put food on the table when you have a young family.

Plus, you know, the ol' mid-life crisis kicking in probably helps.

Geez...I just turned 50, maybe I should get me one of those. I'd like a sports car and a 21 year old girlfriend. She'd be impressed with comic book collection, right?
  • Options

Geez...I just turned 50, maybe I should get me one of those. I'd like a sports car and a 21 year old girlfriend. She'd be impressed with comic book collection, right?

Crickets chirp in the distance as an awkward silence ensues ...

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Would you believe I went from strictly reading the Big2 to getting only 4-5 titles a month...only 1 is from the Big2 (Marvel, actually.) Having dropped my anchor in DC (Batman) and in Marvel (Spider-man), felt like a great release to move on from them. Its similar to why I do not watch new TV series; I gained a lot more free time and don't feel the shackles anymore.

M