Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Late to the Party: Comics that have come and gone but you just read.

Comments

• Options
    Flashpoint Hardcover.

4 out of 5.
    Great writing. Good art. Interesting Story.
    Kind of sad that this was what ended the old DCU and started the New 52.

Did the DCU ever explain the two page spread with the hooded woman that appeared out of nowhere, that had nothing to do with the story (at least that I can remember) and started blabbering:

Barry :
    "I SEE THREE TIMELINES. WHY--?"

Hooded Woman :
    "BECAUSE THE HISTORY OF HEROES WAS SHATTERED INTO THREE LONG AGO.
    SPLINTERED TO WEAKEN YOUR WORLD FOR THEIR IMPENDING ARRIVAL.
    YOU MUST STAND TOGETHER. THE TIMELINES MUST BECOME ONE AGAIN.
    YOU CAN HELP ME FIX THAT, BARRY ALLEN, BUT AT A COST."

Who's impending arrival? WHF does this mean? Was this just tacked in at the last minute to explain things away?

Thanks!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    AxelBrass said:

Flashpoint Hardcover.

4 out of 5.

Did the DCU ever explain the two page spread with the hooded woman that appeared out of nowhere, that had nothing to do with the story (at least that I can remember) and started blabbering:

Barry :

Hooded Woman :

Who's impending arrival? WHF does this mean? Was this just tacked in at the last minute to explain things away?

Thanks!

Pretty sure that's just been referenced in last months issue of Justice League and the current solicits for the Green Lantern books.

JL, IIRC, suggested that the Crime Syndicate were running from Darkseid when they came through the portal in Forever Evil. Not a huge reveal since Darkseid has already attacked this earth (and Earth 2).

Green Lantern has the impending return of the New Gods.
  • Options
    Ahh, gotchya.

Kinda falling off reading DC this year, but have been following the "BIG PICTURE" the best I can without breaking the bank.

Thank you!
  • Options
    I'm about halfway through Irredeemable/Incorruptible and am enjoying both quite a bit.
  • Options
    I just picked up a stack of DC's Vigilante on the cheap. I was more interested in Star Wars and X-Men comics when this series was around the first time but I'm kinda glad I bought them because so far I'm really liking the seriousness of the series but the book does show it's age with Vig's ski suit-like costume and goggles.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Green Arrow: Year One by Diggle & Jock on Comixology. Good quick read.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Crossed

Read the Ennis run on Friday. Wow ,this is a great comic. Never see it mentioned here. But I never see most of the Avatar stuff mentioned here. Like Caligula. Another great series.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    dubbat138 said:

Crossed

Read the Ennis run on Friday. Wow ,this is a great comic. Never see it mentioned here. But I never see most of the Avatar stuff mentioned here. Like Caligula. Another great series.

Agreed. I gave Ennis' most recent story in Badlands a shout out on the what's great right now thread, but in general it doesn't get much talk, nor do most Avatar books.

I have found that stories by other writers on Crossed have been hit or miss, but all of Ennis' have been excellent, and unflinching. And often they out-Walking Dead The Walking Dead.

• Options
    David_D said:

dubbat138 said:

Crossed

Agreed. I gave Ennis' most recent story in Badlands a shout out on the what's great right now thread, but in general it doesn't get much talk, nor do most Avatar books.

I have found that stories by other writers on Crossed have been hit or miss, but all of Ennis' have been excellent, and unflinching. And often they out-Walking Dead The Walking Dead.

Just read the first Caligula mini series from Avatar. Holy hell is it good. Not for everyone. But a fun read.

• Options
    Caligula... like the Roman Emperor?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    dubbat138 said:

David_D said:

dubbat138 said:

Crossed

Just read the first Caligula mini series from Avatar. Holy hell is it good. Not for everyone. But a fun read.

Cool. Haven't done that one yet, but I want to. There has been a lot from Avatar I like.
  • Options
    Speaking of Avatar... I'll have to check out "Caligula", especially now that I look and see that it's written by David Lapham, who is usually excellent. Very interesting historical figure. A few nights ago I actually watched the notorious movie they made about him. What can I say... At least Malcolm McDowell did a GREAT job with what he had to work with.

I've never read "Crossed", but it might interested you guys to hear that Alan Moore is apparently doing an issue of it in the near future.

Also as far as Avatar goes, I should mention that a year or two they put out Alan Moore's Fashion Beast, which I highly recommend.

But I came into this thread to say that I just read "52", finally. I was only barely getting back into comics while it was coming out, so it totally passed me by. I did read two issues of it (30 and 47) due to their connection to Grant Morrison's Batman run, but that's it. I've obviously heard "52!" talked about quite a bit over the last several years. So at long last I bought the entire run of it for quite cheap on eBay, and then read it in about five days or so.

I liked it but didn't love it, which goes along with how I've always felt about the DC Universe in general: I like it but don't love it. I don't have a deep affection for or affinity with a lot of these characters, but I can appreciate a lot of them to an extent and definitely recognize that quite a few of them are good and substantive even if they aren't really "my thing". In particular, I can never really get into Booster Gold, Rip Hunter, or the Captain Marvel family. I really did like most of the stuff with Animal Man, Starfire, the Question(s), and Kate Kane, though. Basically, I liked most of the sections that seemed to be written by Morrison and Rucka. And I liked the sections that seemed to be written by Geoff Johns when he was on his A-game. Normally I like Mark Waid but for whatever reason his sections didn't seem to do much for me.

Overall, though, I'm glad I read it finally. It puts a lot of the... "baseline understanding of contemporary DC fandom" (or whatever) into perspective for me. It was really impressive that they pulled this off editorally and had it turn out as successful as it was. The art was consistently good, and I liked Oliffe's contributions in particular.
  • Options
    David_D said:

dubbat138 said:

David_D said:

dubbat138 said:

Crossed

Cool. Haven't done that one yet, but I want to. There has been a lot from Avatar I like.
    Ended up reading both Caligula mini series yesterday. While the first mini is a better series. The second one I found more entertaining.

Found out the other day that in the mid 80s DC put out a series of graphic novels based on classic Science Fiction novels. Gonna have to track down the Harlan Ellison one.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Avatar is that section of Previews where I close my eyes and turn the pages as fast as I can.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Avatar is that section of Previews where I close my eyes and turn the pages as fast as I can.

Agreed. I've had enough dealings with their associated comic shop to not want to touch anything they do.
  • Options
    Read Crossed Family Values and Crossed Psychopath today. Once again why didn't someone tell me about this series?
    I can see where they aren't for everyone. But I loved them.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,623
    After taking advantage of topshelfs most recent sale I finally read Too Cool to be Forgotten.
    I should have read this years ago. When I got to the end I almost started crying.

In a few days I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of my father in laws death. My wife never got to really say goodbye; he went into the hospital which we thought he would be out in a few days. He had been in and out over regularly for over five years after his battle with cancer. He went into a coma and that was it.

So if you've read the book you understand why the last few pages would be hard. Man it was a good story though. Alex Robinson makes great comics; if you haven't read Box Office Poison pick that one up too.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Agreed…I just don’t care for the house art style and the reliance on a LOT of gore for many of their series. I’m sure they have some good books, and I have tried a few of their Alan Moore adaptations, but it’s just my cuppa. Just because you CAN show everything doesn’t mean you have to. Even Romero at his goriest knew when to cut away.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I took advantage of that TopShelf sale as well - just finished God is Disappointed in You (not a comic but a great read nonetheless), I'm currently reading the collected League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Century), and up next? The fabled and lauded Essex County trilogy...
  • Options
    I ordered from TopSelf also, haven't received my order yet, though (really wishing I had tracking info...).

I got The King hardcover (been wanting to read this story forever), a $40 From Hell Companion for $1 ($1!!), and the hardcover omnibus edition of Eddie Campbell's Alec.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Last year, my TopShelf order took a good long time, but it did arrive. They're probably swamped.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    ^That's good to know. I didn't even consider it, but yeah they must have more orders than they can handle in a super-timely manner right now.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Finally read Days of Future Past. After watching the cartoon version & the movie, it was kind of...underwhelming. First, there's 2 issues & the trade essentially has 4 other issues that didn't actually relate to the story. It happened in the 2 issues, then they moved on. No real build up either. Much like Demon in a Bottle, the legend of the story over shines the actual issues.

Although I liked a Wolverine who wasn't everywhere, I was kind of disappointed with how much 'unstable' & weaker he was. I recall Adam complaining that Logan shouldn't be able to regenerate/heal if his skin & muscle gets vaporized, but this seemed to make him very killable.

M
  • Options
    I'm witchoo. Didn't care for the Days of Future Past comic either.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

Finally read Days of Future Past. After watching the cartoon version & the movie, it was kind of...underwhelming. First, there's 2 issues & the trade essentially has 4 other issues that didn't actually relate to the story. It happened in the 2 issues, then they moved on. No real build up either. Much like Demon in a Bottle, the legend of the story over shines the actual issues.

Although I liked a Wolverine who wasn't everywhere, I was kind of disappointed with how much 'unstable' & weaker he was. I recall Adam complaining that Logan shouldn't be able to regenerate/heal if his skin & muscle gets vaporized, but this seemed to make him very killable.

M

Once again, context is everything.*

These two issues were incredibly cool when they came out.

And Wolverine back then had not become the overexposed, overpowered superstar he is now. Back then, he could be killed.

Apparently, just as subtext is Bry's kryptonite, context is yours. B-)
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Once again, context is everything.*

These two issues were incredibly cool when they came out.

And Wolverine back then had not become the overexposed, overpowered superstar he is now. Back then, he could be killed.

Apparently, just as subtext is Bry's kryptonite, context is yours. B-)
    Actually, no. I'm aware at the time these type of stories were really only an issue or 2. I also know Wolverine was still a fairly new character to be used (an issue or 2 before the name 'Logan' was revealed)

This is another example of how the legacy of something builds this expectation. We've talked about the Beatles, I think we talked about how underwhelming I found Apocalypse Now (we can add the Pink Panther to that list...I just dumped the series off my Netflix list).

I'm not saying any of it sucks; its been replicated (or attempted to be) over the years, so its obviously a milestone. Getting exposed to the replicants before the original just waters down the original.

I think that's what happened with Days of Future Past.

M
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,623
    Elsiebub said:

^That's good to know. I didn't even consider it, but yeah they must have more orders than they can handle in a super-timely manner right now.

It's a huge sale for them every year. It seems like every year it gets bigger and better. Next year I would recommend getting Infinite KungFu.
    Last Sep. was an alltime late to the Topshelf party sale. Infinite Kungfu, The King, Nemo Heart of Ice, and Dragon Puncher Island.
    This year doesn't seem too bad either Too Cool to be Forgotten, Tricked, Essex County, and BB Wolf and the Three LPs.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

I'm not saying any of it sucks; its been replicated (or attempted to be) over the years, so its obviously a milestone. Getting exposed to the replicants before the original just waters down the original.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    hauberk said:

AxelBrass said:

Flashpoint Hardcover.

4 out of 5.

Barry :

Hooded Woman :

Thanks!

Pretty sure that's just been referenced in last months issue of Justice League and the current solicits for the Green Lantern books.

JL, IIRC, suggested that the Crime Syndicate were running from Darkseid when they came through the portal in Forever Evil. Not a huge reveal since Darkseid has already attacked this earth (and Earth 2).

@hauberk @‌AxelBrass

Superman assumed it was Darkseid. It was actually shown to be the Anti-Monitor at the end of Forever Evil.
  • Options

hauberk said:

AxelBrass said:

Flashpoint Hardcover.

4 out of 5.

Barry :

Hooded Woman :

Thanks!

@hauberk @‌AxelBrass

Superman assumed it was Darkseid. It was actually shown to be the Anti-Monitor at the end of Forever Evil.
    Doh! that's right. Can't believe that I forgot that.