Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My adventure in 'Crisis'

So here is what I plan on doing. I have never read a DC comic, seriously, just Marvel (and that only 7 months ago) I am going to read the comics relating to the 'Crisis' theme/storyline. I'm going to use the Crisis reading order from, tradereadingorder.com . I am also thinking about blogging this entire journey. I figure it will help me process it all. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    If you've never read DC and you're starting with the Crisis titles -- I don't know about that. That seems like starting your Lost binge-watching with the final season.

My humble suggestion would be to read Justice League, specifically the annual JLA-JSA crossovers that started in the 60s. (Most or all of these have been collected). These crossovers helped to explain the whole Earth 1-Earth 2 (multiverse) concept, plus they are great fun. Once you have that, then the first Crisis book (from the 80s) will make more sense.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    One of the first things I read when I got back into comics was my friend's Crisis TPB. I had been pretty much a Marvel only reader as a kid so Crisis was my baptism by fire into the DCU. It was TOUGH to get through. After reading a lot more DC I went back and gave CoIE another shot and enjoyed it a lot more. It really helps to understand who the characters are and where they're coming from.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,624
    I disagree with those 2 guys. I did the same thing as you. Just dive into it and go from there. It's the best place to get into the PreFlashpoint DCU. If you grew up with Batman, Superman, and Justice League cartoons (or movies) you know the characters well enough to figure out what is going on.

What I would recommend is after you are finished with Crisis is jump around DC books. Ask what people like.
    Try DC One Million, John Ostrander's Spectre (1992, not the 1987 version which was not that good), Hitman, Byrne's Superman, Perez's Wonder Woman, JLI/JLE, Legends (defined what the Post Crisis DCU would be like), Robinson's Starman, Seven Soldiers, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

Even newer stuff like Shadowpact, Checkmate (2006), REBELS (2009), Green Lantern Sinestro War, Simon Dark, Allstar Superman.

The big thing is to remember the DCU is huge, do not feel the need to try to read everything in order, just find good stories and go.
  • Options
    For a little more detail, I am reading the pre-CoIE issues. Specifically those collected in the Crisis on Multiple Earths Team Ups Vol 1 & 2 and the CoME Vol 1-5. Then I will actually get to CoIE. This is to get a feel for the heroes. Im presuming this will give me some foundation of the DCU characters.
  • Options
    I think reading the Crisis stuff before the BIG Crisis would be more than enough. Crisis on Infinite Earths was written to try to bring Marvel readers over to DC, and at the time, a LOT of people who hadn't read a DC comic were picking it up and got hooked.

After for the DCU after that, go with what looks fun...but beware that a lot of the Pre-New 52 stuff is going to go out of print, and DC's current leadership puts little to no emphasis on bringing it back to print unless there is a "hot artist" involved or a media tie-in. Their trade backlist is becoming frightfully limited, and the rumors are that they will not being doing a lot of 2nd printings of things, since they want to drive monthly sales.
  • Options
    But are those issues/collections available digitally? I wonder what percentage DC might be at for their whole back catalog...
  • Options
    While I agree that Crisis is a BEAST of a story, there are COUNTLESS examples of people out there who got into DC Comics via that event. Murd started with Zero Hour, sure, but Crisis captivated him. Peter started with Titans when Wolfman was writing, then went into Crisis. Sure, each had slight background knowledge of DC, but I'm sure it was no less overwhelming.

Just because the width and breadth of a series can be overwhelming in scope, doesn't make it incomprehensible or uninteresting. I'd LOVE to see if a comics reader TODAY can jump in feet first into Crisis and come out the other side enraptured by the DC Universe, not scared away.

All the best, get it up and running, tell me where it is and I'll follow along.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Speaking of the Titans when Wolfman was writing. I just picked up that first collection and it is Awesome! When I was a kid DC had Wolfman/Perez on the Teen Titans and Marvel had Claremont/Byrne on Uncanny X-Men. Those two titles at the time seemed like the peak of comic storytelling. They also seemed to be battling it out on the spinner rack at my local drugstore, too. for pre-teen me those two books were the top.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited October 2014
    Hey Joe,

I would just recommend reading whatever looks interesting to you. That's always my advice to anyone starting out. It's more important to pursue whatever excites you to read it than to look for perfect entry points.

One of my first comics was CoIE #8, which I got when I was like six years old. I enjoyed the hell out of it and read it many times over the years.

When I got back into comics several years ago, one of the first comics I read was the Astonishing X-Men vol. 1 TPB. This was a logical point to start reading an "auteur" run like that.

Old hands like us can look at what you're doing and scratch our heads. Because obviously, yeah, you're diving into something that's steeped in like half a century of continuity rather than going for something more inviting to new readers.

But before 2004 or so, this is what every new reader of every comic book did. We just picked up random issues that looked interesting to us. And as long as you've got the spirit to have fun with this stuff and enjoy figuring it out, then it's fine. It works particularly well with the non-decompressed storytelling of yesteryear. Those sorts of comics seemed to encourage engagement and curiosity on the part of the reader specifically because they were so byzantine in their allusions and continuity. They were a challenge to read and get into, and several hundreds of thousands of children enjoyed taking up this challenge. This was before the days when 40-year-old grown men with access to Wikipedia started fussing and tearing their hair out over "OMG where do I start with Green Lantern???" It doesn't matter if you have the spirit of curiosity and discovery in you.

There are other, "easier" recommendations that I'm sure everyone would be happy to give you, but for now -- Good luck with Crisis!
  • Options
    @elsiebub - I'm not sure if I have heard the exact phrase or wording of 'spirit of curiosity' but I really like that. My problem (personal) with that is the lack of logic in just jumping in. I really dislike using the term OCD towards myself, but sometimes in some areas I have those tendencies. But the thoughts/encouragement's in post are going to help me move away from 'crisis and pick up something fun that is current or at least more recent than those early JLA issues. I have spent since last March reading the first 30 issues of Marvel's Silver Age comics. Not starting with vol 1 issue 1 of the DC comics feels like a crazy/whimsical idea. I will post progress. Flash 123, 129, and JLA 21 down, and a whole lot to go.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Keep on trucking, brother. Any comic you like is good comics!