Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1507 Talkback - Comic Talk

Kiss structured discussion goodbye, 'cuz it's Comic Talk time! In this episode, we recap the recent Retro Con 2014; recommend some romance comics; run down the top ten spots in CBR's '75 Most Memorable Moments in Marvel Comics History' list; react to the second-season premiere of 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'; and do whatever else comes naturally. (1:25:40)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    My wife and I would very much love to come to the WildPig Halloween Event since we have off that weekend. We were wondering if anyone could recommend any inexpensive hotels or other forms of lodging in or near Kenilworth so as to cut down on the amount of time we have to spend on the road Saturday.

Also, thank you for mentioning Alex + Ada, Murd. Excellent series that I don't hear enough people talk about.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Pants, Chis.

I have good news.

That TV show you like is going to come back into style.

https://deadline.com/2014/10/twin-peaks-series-showtime-david-lynch-mark-frost-845804/
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited October 2014
    Great episode.

Firstly: Shane, you were very wise to keep those video game boxes. You will probably be shocked once you go on eBay and start looking into how much "complete in box" vintage video games sell for. I know I was.

Secondly: I'm glad Dani was there to rein you guys in, in regards to what constitutes a romance comic or what would likely appeal (or not appeal) to a woman who reads romance novels. Virtually everything you guys mentioned is decisively rooted in very violent fantasy worlds. I love Preacher, and yes it is in some sense a romance story. But thinking that something like Preacher, or even Saga, would likely appeal to a non-comic reader whose only known criteria is that she likes romance novels? Quite a risk there. I also think Strangers in Paradise is more about "relationships" than romance, as I think Dani said. I mean, I haven't read all of it but it seems to be more about pain and dysfunction and unresolved personality issues than it is about romance. And Scott Pilgrim is not a terrible choice, but the appeal of Scott Pilgrim is hipster-ish humor, magical realism, and storytelling innovation; the theme is romance, but on a page by page basis a reader is mostly dealing with very atypical storytelling. It's almost like saying "Oh you like romance? James Joyce's Ulysses has a husband and wife in it, so go read that." Not that your suggestions are as difficult to read as Ulysses, but you get my point that in all of these works the romance is not actually foregrounded or easily palatable, what with all the constant fantastical/violent/weird/dysfunctional/avant guard elements going on. You may as well suggest the wedding of Peter and Mary Jane, or the Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix... Probably not what a non-comic reader who likes romance novels is looking for.

I don't mean to take you guys to task. I probably wouldn't've been able to come up with any great suggestions myself. I've never read Blankets, but there again too it seems like the work is about relationships and DYSFUNCTION rather than romance and happy endings or whatever. It's actually quite an interesting topic to stop and consider why Western comics don't seem to offer any analogue to the experience of reading a romance novel or watching a Jennifer Aniston movie or whatever. I suppose the obvious answer is: "Well, because fewer women write comics." But the impression I get is that even within the field of comics written by women in the English-speaking world there are not a lot of straightforward romance stories.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    edited October 2014
    My wife reads those trashy romance novels as well. And has absolutely latched on to Saga as a non comics reader (not to mention the large following of non-traditional readers it seems to have if you read the letter columns). Just because those novels are "romance" doesn't mean they don't have other elements in them as well: revenge plots, twists, love triangles, etc. I've never read them, but from what I hear from her, they are exactly what was mentioned above: pain and dysfunction and unresolved personality issues. Haha.

So I don't think the Geeks were off the mark. Romance doesn't have to mean doves and sunsets. It can be any mixture of things.
  • Options

My wife and I would very much love to come to the WildPig Halloween Event since we have off that weekend. We were wondering if anyone could recommend any inexpensive hotels or other forms of lodging in or near Kenilworth so as to cut down on the amount of time we have to spend on the road Saturday.

Also, thank you for mentioning Alex + Ada, Murd. Excellent series that I don't hear enough people talk about.

The Kenilworth Inn is up the road from WildPig. It's a local motel, so I wouldn't have high expectations for the quality of the rooms, but it's less than 5 minutes from the shop.
    Thanks for the support!

Best,

Chris, WP
    www.wildpigcomics.com

• Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited October 2014
    Elsiebub said:

You may as well suggest the wedding of Peter and Mary Jane, or the Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix... Probably not what a non-comic reader who likes romance novels is looking for.

Honestly, Peter's relationships have always been part of the foundation that Spider-Man comics were built on. From the very beginning he was involved in an awkward love triangle between Betty Brant and Liz Allen. The death of Gwen Stacy is not only a defining moment in Spider-Man's personal history but what many would consider the end of the Silver Age. And then there was the Black Cat... um, yeah, that happened. Moving on.

To this day there are still fans who feel betrayed by the dissolution of Peter and Mary Jane's marriage. Personally, I always thought that their relationship was the best part of the comics when written by competent writers such as J.M. DeMatteis, Howard Mackie and J. Michael Straczynski.

Moving away from Spider-Man, Saga is most certainly a story that could not exist without it's more romantic elements, which serve as motivation for several characters. And anybody remember a little story from Astro City called "Dinner At Eight"?

Romance, just like any other genre, can be presented in an infinite number of ways. Just because it's combined with other genres doesn't diminish it's importance to the overall narrative. It's talented writers such as Brian K. Vaughan, Kurt Busiek and the aforementioned Spider-Man scribes who bring it to life on the pages by infusing their characters with the same qualities we encounter in every person we interact with every day of our lives.

Bottom line, if somebody came to me seeking comics with good romance in them, I would hand them anything I previously mentioned above. I certainly WOULDN'T hand them a copy of Trouble.

• Options
    On the romance comic side, I would recommend Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, if you can find it. It's currently out of print, but I know I've seen plenty of them roaming around the cheap bins at conventions either as single issues or half-off trades. It's written by Sean McKeever with art by Takeshi Miyazawa, and it really manages to capture the lighter side of Spider-Man. The book is as much about Mary Jane, if not more about her, than Spidey, and there is tons of romance all over the place in each issue.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited October 2014

On the romance comic side, I would recommend Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, if you can find it. It's currently out of print, but I know I've seen plenty of them roaming around the cheap bins at conventions either as single issues or half-off trades. It's written by Sean McKeever with art by Takeshi Miyazawa, and it really manages to capture the lighter side of Spider-Man. The book is as much about Mary Jane, if not more about her, than Spidey, and there is tons of romance all over the place in each issue.

Seconded. I found some of the digests for my daughter and gave them a read. Terry Moore writes the last five issues.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited October 2014
    Back when my wife taught college she would put a few covers or pages of Kirby/Simon romance books in her powerpoints. Yeah I've bought reprinted color Simon/Kirby romance books and the DC Young Romance Showcase, "for research"....

She said her students got a kick out of the covers, especially the older students (she taught at a community college after her TAing at UGA).

edit: 12 year old Matt would be embarassed by what 34 year old Matt has in his collection.
  • Options
    Shane - Right there with you on Assault on Arkham. I've now attempted three viewings and fallen asleep every single time. Still haven't finished it.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Shane - Right there with you on Assault on Arkham. I've now attempted three viewings and fallen asleep every single time. Still haven't finished it.

But at least you're getting some rest.
  • Options
    Ha! David D! Lol , I could always use rest
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Just scratching the surface of the episode, but wanted to offer that Buckaroo Banzai's band was the Hong Kong Cavaliers. ;)
  • Options
    That's it!!!! OMG Scott Powers, our friend, would be so disappointed I didn't know that off the top of my head. UGH, face palm!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

That's it!!!! OMG Scott Powers, our friend, would be so disappointed I didn't know that off the top of my head. UGH, face palm!

No worries! You saved yourself with a Perfect Tommy reference and can probably leave yourself in good graces by identifying where Pecos was for the movie. ;)
  • Options
    Another fun episode, guys. Thanks for the shout-out, Murd. Hope you enjoy the series when you get to it.

Also wanted to mention that the journal with my story - which, though in a literary journal, is set in a dystopian future and contains a bit of horror for your troubles - is now available digitally. It's issue #2. Here's a link.

chris
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Great episode! Loved the laughter and camaraderie! And the Rios! Interesting reports on the cons and Kirby/Marvel-Disney! Thanks for making my Saturday stuck at home entertaining.
  • Options
    Great episode, especially liked the discussion about romance comics!… but am surprised that neither the podcast nor this thread has mentioned Struble & Grace's LI'L DEPRESSED BOY (Image Comics). LDB may be emo and hipster too, but romance - the drive to find it - is definitely one of its chief dramatic engines.
  • Options
    Great episode....I like the fact that it didn't have much structure to it. I feel like these general discussion episodes should probably be like that...just friends getting together and talking about geek stuff. I loved it.

Really enjoyed hearing the 75th anniversary stuff from Marvel. I came up with one or two that were on the list that you guys didn't, but then you all came up with ones that I didn't even think of. I think in the end I guessed 5 that were on the list before hearing all of your guesses.

I believe it was this episode that Peter mentioned seeing toys from the 70s and 80s that he vaguely remembered but didn't realize that they had as much behind them as they did. That Sectaurs base was called The Hive. The figures were 6 inches in scale, so the base was huge for that reason...it was also pretty rare because not many people bought it back then. Adam was close in the description of the property. They were a blend of humanoid aliens and insects. They looked completely human except that they had antennae and somewhat bug eyes. They rode giant insects (which in the toys were hand puppets) and had large insect companions (which the toys did stuff like shoot water, had a grappling line, etc).

Sectaurs is one of my favorite obscure toy lines from the 80s, and many toy lines had a full treatment of comics, toys and cartoons to back them up. Sectaurs had a short lived 9 issue comic from Marvel and even had a short lived cartoon (which the cartoon is horrible). I would probably blow Peter's mind with all of the 80s obscure properties that were out there and what they had out when they were released.

A shameless plug here, I did a short solo episode for Star Joes where I reviewed the first mini-comic for Sectaurs (yes, some of the figures even came with mini-comics):
    starjoes.podbean.com/e/episode-117-the-kessel-run/