Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Secret (Wars) Is Out.

13»

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I'm not entirely sure when it became cool to hate Secret Wars

A: 1984

;)

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Secret Wars is still a fun read for me, as long as I'm not thinking too hard about it.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Going a step further back. I loved Contest of Champions as a kid. LOVED.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    random73 said:

Going a step further back. I loved Contest of Champions as a kid. LOVED.

I picked up the issues here and there in the early 2000s.

For a couple of Oldest beings in the universe, Death and the Grandmaster could -not- count at all!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

I'm not entirely sure when it became cool to hate Secret Wars

A: 1984

;)
    =))
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327

I'm not entirely sure when it became cool to hate Secret Wars but as somebody who missed it when it came out and didn't read it until I was in my twenties, I still enjoyed it even though I was probably beyond the target range. I just got back into comics about a year ago after One More Day led to a five year absence and cynical crap like Original Sin has essentially driven me to pursue mostly indie titles now. I'll take some silly fun like the original Secret Wars any day over the confused and boring mess that Jason Aaron churned out recently. Hickman's not giving me any proof I'll feel differently toward his contributions to my favorite fictional universe.

I'm with you. I read it later only so I could follow along with the Secret Wars episodes the CGS geeks did on the series issue by issue. I don't have much to compare it too from other titles of that time, but as far as recognizing and getting a shot of all those characters in one story, it works for me. Truthfully, some of the simplest ways those characters are shown seem refreshing from the angst and forced backstory characters get today. It's also one to share with younger readers who just want an in your face type comic. I am from Beyond! Haha.

• Options
    I want to know who read and thought, "it was ok." It seems like it was a love it or hate it kind of project. I fall into the former, and as I was a toddler when it came out (though old enough to get a much treasured black spiderman figure) I also read it in my early 20s. It was silly, goofy and a little stupid, but man did I have fun reading it. More than I have 85% of the time I read things now.
  • Options
    Marvel has released the Alex Ross cover for Secret Wars #1:

• Options
    Who's the cyborg looking dude in the bottom right corner?

Also, is it just me, or does the guy underneath him, seemingly in free fall, look a lot like Metron from the New Gods? Side note: maybe he's in free fall because he lost his Mobius Chair. :-)
  • Options
    From the stretching arm, I would guess the guy in the lower right hand corner is a new or alternate version of Machine Man

In fact, I think the Metron-looking guy might ALSO be Machine Man. As I think the image has multiples of some characters (like there are two versions of Spider-Woman, I think.)
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2014
    David_D said:

From the stretching arm, I would guess the guy in the lower right hand corner is a new or alternate version of Machine Man

In fact, I think the Metron-looking guy might ALSO be Machine Man. As I think the image has multiples of some characters (like there are two versions of Spider-Woman, I think.)

He's the Ultimate version of Machine Man from Ultimate FF. The other one might be the 616 version. There is Ultimate Iron Man from UFF in the upper left.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Detailed Battle world map

Areas of note that I am excited about;
    10. Weirdworld
    11. K'un Lun
    23. New Quack City
    25. Valley of Flame
    40. New Xandar
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Area 13, New Mars?

I'm wondering if this might be something to do with Killraven or maybe the GotG (original)
  • Options
    Marville? Ugh. No, thanks.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Wouldn't mind seeing the CrossGen, Ultraverse, and New Universe show up in this.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Does Marvel own CrossGen?
  • Options
    I am under the impression that Disney /Marvel did acquire the properties.

Wikipedia seems to back me up... but she is fickle...
  • Options
    Hex said:

Does Marvel own CrossGen?

They do. Marvel put out a couple of Crossgen related (but heavily revamped, think current Valiant vs 90s Valiant) titles a couple of years ago, although other than Ruse I couldn't tell you what they were.
  • Options

Wouldn't mind seeing the CrossGen, Ultraverse, and New Universe show up in this.

Ultraverse won't show. Marvel says it's "legal stuff". The legal stuff is that if they use it, they have to pay the people who created it. And Marvel don't do that unless they have to.

• Options

I totally agree about the New U -- the original, I'm hoping. I didn't love the mid-2000s reimagining, but I adore the original 80s New U for all its warts. With the prominence of New U related content in various Avengers titles recently, I am wondering if it is one of the "Classified" continents on the map?
  • Options
    I'm hoping they *don't* do this, but in a multleversal story like this one, I wonder if they will make the world of Miracleman a spot on the map.
  • Options

Ultraverse won't show. Marvel says it's "legal stuff". The legal stuff is that if they use it, they have to pay the people who created it. And Marvel don't do that unless they have to.

You're probably right, but I can day-dream me some good old fashioned fan-fic can't I?

:)

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I've heard one of those classified lands is going to be Margaritaville. They're everywhere nowadays...
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    David_D said:

I'm hoping they *don't* do this, but in a multleversal story like this one, I wonder if they will make the world of Miracleman a spot on the map.

I'd imagine they let Gaiman and Buckingham restart and then finish their run before they pull the pin on that particular grenade.
  • Options
    Brack said:

David_D said:

I'd imagine they let Gaiman and Buckingham restart and then finish their run before they pull the pin on that particular grenade.
    I hope you're right. They were calling a lot of attention to the annual that is about to come out, and that they are doing new material, and as that is ahead of Gaiman and Buckingham resuming, I wondered whether that was them testing the waters on starting to use these characters more. But hopefully they leave it alone to be a self-contained thing.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    David_D said:

Brack said:

David_D said:

I hope you're right. They were calling a lot of attention to the annual that is about to come out, and that they are doing new material, and as that is ahead of Gaiman and Buckingham resuming, I wondered whether that was them testing the waters on starting to use these characters more. But hopefully they leave it alone to be a self-contained thing.

The "new" material is a new story from Milligan/Allred in the style of Mick Angelo and an old Morrison script from the time that was never used, so I don't think it'll play much into the overall Miracleman story.

I would totally be up for a Marvel Universe version of Marvelman (as opposed to Miracleman) from Milligan and Allred once Gaiman and Buckingham are done.