Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What's Your "Best Comics of 2014?"

The year is close to coming to an end, so I am wondering what people think when looking back? What was your best ongoing titles of the year? Best miniseries?

My favorite(in no particular order)

-Saga (I feel like this is never going to leave my best lists)
-Walking Dead (Still, even after all out war)
-Outcast
-Ms. Marvel
-Batman
-East of West
-Revival
-Pretty Deadly
-Letter 44
-Stumptown Vol. 3
-Life After
-Coffin Hill
-Astro City
-Mind MGMT
-Manhattan Projects

Miniseries
-Trillium
-The Wake
-Bodies
-Vertigo Quarterly
-The Names
-Pop
-Annihilator
-Sandman: Overture
-Memetic

Best overall publisher is Image, followed closely by Vertigo.

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited December 2014
    Marvel:
    Secret Avengers
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man
    Black Widow
    Silver Surfer
    Inhuman
    Loki: Agent of Asgard
    Thor: God of Thunder
    She-Hulk
    Hawkeye (forgot to include initially)
    Ms. Marvel (forgot to include initially)

DC:
    Injustice
    Grayson

Independent:

Lazarus
    COWL
    Fade Out
    Saga
    Day Men
    Low
    East of West
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I finally read a great chunk of Saga. Now I know what all the fuss is about. It is/was glorious,

Ms. marvel is too much fun.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Saga
    East of West
    The Manhattan Projects
    New Avengers
    Avengers
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man
    Hawkeye
    All New and Uncanny X-Men
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Moon Knight
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited December 2014
    This is super easy as @Torchsong‌ and I (and a few others!) have been keeping track for the whole year... B-)

January Winner: Wonder Woman #1-24 (digital)
    February Winner: Hawkeye #1-11 (digital)
    March Winner: Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem (HC)
    April Winner: Boxers & Saints (TPB)
    May Winner: Amazing Spider-Man #1
    June Winner: Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #1
    July Winner: The Guns of Shadow Valley HC (Kickstarter)
    August Winner: Grayson #1
    September Winner: Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland #1
    October Winner: Southern Bastards #1-3
    November Winner: Jim Henson's The Musical Monsters of Turkey Hollow HC
  • Options
    I can't agree enough when it comes to the Breath of Bones mini-series/HC. God I loved that comic.

As for the rest, its hard to tell because I get back issues also throughout the year, I'll have to check.

The Spider-Gwen issue from the Spider-verse story was pretty damn good though. Superior Iron-Man as well.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    My favorite(in no particular order)

Monthly (or on a regular schedule at least) comics
    -Synder/Capullo Batman
    -Velvet (Image)
    -Southern Bastards (Image)
    -She-Hulk
    -Daredevil
    -Saga
    -Little Nemo Return to Slumberland (IDW)
    -Stumptown
    -Amazing Spider-Man 1-6
    -Fatale (Image)
    -Fairest
    -Fables Camelot tpb
    -Action Comics
    -Superman
    -Superman/Wonder Woman

Special art benefit book

The Sakai Project 30 years of Usagi Yojimbo HC (well over 120 pages of various artists contributions)

Miniseries

-Superman Unchained
    -Superman Doomed storyline
    -Amazing Spider-Man Spiderverse
    -Blacksad Amarillo HC (the 3rd collection from Dark Horse)

Digital only
    a few more issues of The Private Eye
    http://panelsyndicate.com/ (pay what you want)

Matthew
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Sorry to interrupt for a second, but I wanted to say welcome back! to @mguy1977‌ We haven't seen you in awhile.

And thanks for the reminder about The Private Eye. I've got to get back on that.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Where have you been Matthew?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Here's mine so far:

January Winner: Marada the She-Wolf (Titan)
    February Winner: Will Eisner's The Spirit: Femme Fatales TPB (DC)
    March Winner: Locke & Key: Alpha & Omega (IDW)
    April Winner: Cannon (Fantagraphics)
    May Winner: Nelvana of the Northern Lights (Kickstarter)
    June Winner: Android Angels (Gen Manga)
    July Winner: Death Sentence HC (Titan)
    August Winner: TIE! - Rat Queens Vol. 1 : Sass & Sorcery (Image) / Good Dog (Fantagraphics)
    September Winner: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Century HC (Top Shelf)
    October Winner: The Curse of Ragdoll Vol. 1 (Kickstarter)
    November Winner: The Complete Elfquest Vol. 1
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited December 2014
    I was busy w/ checking on my mom more often, she recently turned 61. Comics were on the backburner for a while I recouped from my seizure back in Sept. The holidays busted my hump towards the end. I have been helping the seniors at my apt. complex to two afternoons of bingo a week & helped w/ the Thanksgiving dinner at the apt complex a small bit last Monday. So two Thanksgivings in a week (one w/ my mom & a friend), add in an exciting Iron Bowl Sat. night & sleeping off the turkey coma.

The only thing I learned is I can't binge read like I want. If I get 5 comics done a night or a trade over two days that I consider a success.

I missed you guys too. HUGS!!! I'm hoping things slow down after the new year.

Matthew

PS
    Merry Christmas to everyone!
  • Options
    shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    I should probably add a couple.
    Thor: God of Thunder
    Locke & Key (Not caught up to this year's)

David McKean Dustcovers
    New Arkham Asylum
    Batman Noir: Long Halloween
  • Options
    Off the top of my head...

Saga
    Hawkeye
    Black Science
    Velvet
    Fatal
    The Private Eye
  • Options
    Astro City, GI Joe
  • Options
    I'm kind of surprised to see how many people are singing the praises of the new GI Joe series.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    shaneb said:

I'm kind of surprised to see how many people are singing the praises of the new GI Joe series.

It's great. When I gave the new volume a chance, I was surprised how good it was.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Off the top of my head...

Saga
    Deadly Class
    Swamp Thing
    Outcast
    Valiant (the whole line is great. After the humble bundle they done In all over Valiant and loving it)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    My very favorite has been Lumberjanes. What a fun, inventive, truly all ages adventure/humor series that has been, and I'm stoked that it got bumped up from a mini to an ongoing. It's the best TV cartoon series that isn't on TV.

Others on my list:
    Ms. Marvel
    Velvet
    Silver Surfer
    Captain Marvel
    Gotham Academy
    Bandette
  • Options
    Boy, I really need to check Saga out . . . clearly I am missing something. My list for this year, in no particular order:

Ongoing:
    Batman
    Batman Eternal (maybe a maxi? certainly not a mini :))
    Silver Surfer (the art is just fantastic!)
    Daredevil
    Fade Out
    Grayson
    Velvet
    Woods

Mini:
    Memetic
    Holmes vs Houdini
    ST: City on the Edge of Forever
  • Options
    Lazarus
    Silver Surfer
    Daredevil
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Great thread! Are the geeks planning another annual awards episode?

Hope so.

Please @Adam_Murdough‌ ?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited December 2014
    Lazarus and Black Science continue to top my list. Grayson is also way up there.
  • Options

Hope so.

Please @Adam_Murdough‌ ?

If I'm not mistaken, the CGS award show always happens was mid/late February with category choices announced in January. I had just assumed that it was still happening.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Hope so.

Please @Adam_Murdough‌ ?

If I'm not mistaken, the CGS award show always happens was mid/late February with category choices announced in January. I had just assumed that it was still happening.
    I sure hope so. I love that show!
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited December 2014
    Cyclops
    Dream Police
    Justice League 3000
    Ms. Marvel
    Shutter
    Silver Surfer
    Velvet

I'm especially curious to hear others' thoughts on Dream Police and Shutter. My wife and I have both been enthusiastically recommending them all year and I never hear mention of them anywhere.
  • Options
    I continue to subscribe to Shutter, though it isn't necessarily continuing with the same spark it started with.
  • Options
    I have been working on getting nominees ready for a best of 2014 show myself. Here's what I have so far. Feel free to agree, disagree or add your own nominees.

best new hero or team - Ms Marvel, Silk, G.I. Zombie, Asa Stone

Best new villain or villain team - Joker's Daughter, Wraith, Dr Elisa Warsame, The Armor Hunters

best new ongoing comic - (Harley Quinn), SSWS GI Zombie, Hulk, Moon Knight, Rai, Rise of the Magi, Miles Morales Ultimate Spiderman, She Hulk

best limited series - Wildfire, Death of Wolverine, Superman Unchained

best cliffhanger/moment - House Blows Up Clone #15, Baby taken into office with bomb Clone #19, Arclight kills John C.O.W.L. #5, Fatality is a Durlan Green Lantern Corps #33, Yacht blows up with Redmonds family aboard Thief of Thieves #21, Marc Spector loses(?) powers stuck in office as it explodes Moon Kinght #9, Lanterns go to rescue captured comrades Green Lantern #31,

best sleeper/surprise hit - Letter 44, A Voice in the Dark

best ongoing comic - East of West, Clone, Harbinger, C.O.W.L, Grayson, Hulk, Thief of Thieves

best graphic novel/One Shot - Thanos Infinity Revelation, Teen Titans Earth One, Think Tank Fun With PTSD,

best writer - Matt Hawkins, David Schulner, Nick Spencer, Charles Soule, Scott Snyder, Josh Dysart, Matt Kindt, Robert Venditti, Kyle Higgins

best artist - Jim Lee, Stjepan Sejic, Linda Sejic, Jeremy Roberts, Alex Garner

best writer/artist - Jeremy Dale, Mike Mignola, Francis Manapul, Jim Starlin, Alan Davis, Larime Taylor

best inker - Art Thibert, Norm Rapmund, Richard Friend, Scott Williams, Danny Miki

best color artist - Brian Buccellato, Jordie Bellaire, Marcelo Maiolo, Adriano Lucas

best new/breakthrough talent - Jeremy Roberts, Babs Tar, Marguerite Bennett, G Willow Wilson, Van Jensen, Larime Taylor

most underrated book/book you think more people should be reading - Clone, Rise of the Magi, C.O.W.L, A Voice in The Dark, SSWS GI Zombie, Bunker

book, project or event you are most looking forward to in 2015 - Ninjak, Divinity, Convergence, Secret Wars, Tithe, The Con Job
  • Options
    Solid list, but do you have a spot for Best OGN? There's a few books I think that should be on that list: Boxers & Saints, Nnewts, The Guns of Shadow Valley, and Jim Henson's The Musical Monsters of Turkey Hollow.
  • Options

Dark Horse: King Conan: The Hour of the Dragon & King Conan: The Conqueror

DC: Gotham Academy & The Multiversity: Society of Super-Heroes

Dynamite Entertainment: The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow

IDW: Half Past Danger & Wild Blue Yonder

Image: Invincible

Marvel: Avengers Undercover
  • Options
    So, in preparation of the actual nominations and voting for awards, I'm narrowing down a few of my favorites into some categories.

Best Writer: Scott Snyder, Johnathan Hickman, Robert Kirkman, Brian K Vaughn, Greg Rucka, Jason Aaron

Best Breakout: James Tynion IV

Best Miniseries: Trillium, The Wake, Bodies, The Numbers, Memetic, Sandman: Overture, Caliban, Auteur, Annihilator

Best New Series: Outcast, Wicked + Divine, Wytches, Afterlife With Archie, Sabrina, Stumptown vol. 3, The Life After, Gotham by Midnight, Letter 44, Velvet

Favorite "New Edition": Batman: The Long Halloween Noir, Batman Arkham Asylum 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, Pride of Baghdad Deluxe Edition, Miracleman Marvel Reprint

Best Penciler/Artist: Fiona Staples, Greg Capullo, J.H. Williams, Mike Mignola, Nick Dragotta

Best Colorist: Laura Allred

Best Overall Series: Walking Dead, Afterlife With Archie, East of West, God is Dead, Saga, Revival, Stumptown, Ms. Marvel, Southern Bastards

Best Superhero Comic: Ms. Marvel, Thor, Batman, Gotham by Midnight, Arkham Manor, Moon Knight

Best Publisher: Image, Oni

Best Licensed Property: Game of Thrones

Best Horror Comic: Outcast, Wytches, Wolf Moon, Afterlife With Archie, Sabrina

Best Single Issue: Afterlife With Archie #5, Bodies #1, Saga #19, Miracleman Annual #1, Southern Bastards #6

Best Comedy Series: Sex Criminals

Best Story Arc: Saga vol. 4, Life After 1st vol., Stumptown vol. 3

Best Anthology: Vertigo Quarterly, Dark Horse Presents

I feel like I'm missing a whole lot, but this is where I'm at right now on 2014.

Most Anticipated Book of 2015: Lady Killer, Suiciders, Fables: A Wolf Among Us, Nameless, Effigy

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    A couple fun articles I did/participated in:

As most of you know, I ran a bunch of threads throughout the year logging exactly what I read. This was the end result: https://comicspectrumblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/guest-blog-als-year-in-graphic-novels/

We (the reviewers of ComicSpectrum) all threw in our favorites of the year as well:
    https://comicspectrumblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/comicspectrum-reviewer-favorites-of-2014/