Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

So what comics did yall get for the holidays?

I got

Maximortal trade
Bratpack Trade
The three trades of Roaring Rick's Rarebit Fiends
Judgement Day trade by Alan Moore
Plus got that Limited edition tin set of the Warriors of Plasm card set.

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I got a good haul this year...

Ghostbusters vols 7-9
    The Wake HC
    Batman Killing Joke (I know! It's a hole I've had in my collection for too long!!)
    Avengers The Final Threat Epic Collection
    Avengers Judgement Day Epic Collection

Also got the 1970's Comic Book Chronicle from Twomorrows publishing. Really good looking book. Can see why Chris of @wildpigcomics‌ raves about there books.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    I got The Complete Dredd Case Files 7 & 8
    Invincible Compendium 1 & 2
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited December 2014
    1963 #1
    Doctor Solar, Man Of The Atom #15 (Gold Key)
    Doctor Solar, Man Of The Atom Vol. 1 (Dark Horse reprinting of Gold Key issues #1-7)
    Lastly, not comics per se but still comic-related, my wife bought me the first DVD set of The New Adventures Of Superman and a Milk And Cheese Lunchbox from Dark Horse that has been collecting dust at my LCS for over a decade.
  • Options
    A $25 gift card to my LCS
    DC Showcase: Elongated Man #1
    Marvel Essentials Godzilla
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    My wife is always scared to buy me comics as she never knows what I have or want(despite me telling her, lol). However, I did get the DK Marvel Comics: 75 Years of Cover Art..which is pretty damn cool.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    DC Comics 75th Anniversary Poster Book
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Pretty Deadly, vol 1 tpb
  • Options

Geeky things in that group of items:

DC Deck Building Crisis Expansion Pack 1
    Wonder Woman Unbound: The Curious History of the Worlds Most Famous Heroine
    American Comic Book Chronicles: 1965-1969
    The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes
    A homemade Green Lantern window decoration

(not pictured because I'm wearing it when I took this picture)

• Options
    I received the huge volume of The Art Of The Simon And Kirby Studio -- chock full of comic pages that were photographed, white-out and all. Gorgeous stuff.

I also got DVDs of the Guardians Of The Galaxy and Captain America: Winter Soldier films, which gets me up-to-date on the Marvel Studio films.

And I have a gift card for Barnes and Noble, which will allow me to hunt for a copy of either the new Blacksad book (Amarillo) or the new Grandville book (Noel). Only one or the other, unfortunately, but either is more than worth it.
  • Options
    Young Romance Vol 1 & 2 by Simon and Kirby.

Looking forward to having time to start reading through this stuff as I know very little about Kirby's romance work.
  • Options
    How does the Young Romance vol. 2 look?

I bought vol.1 and was really pleased with the book.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

How does the Young Romance vol. 2 look?

I bought vol.1 and was really pleased with the book.

Pretty much the same. Dunno about the stories, though.
  • Options
    No comics. Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Yippie!!!
  • Options
    Bulletproof Coffin Volume 2: Disinterred
    Baltimore Volume 4: Chapel of Bones
    Afterlife With Archie Volume 1

• Options
    Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga Vol. 1

Pretty cool read so far.

• Options
    phansford said:

Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga Vol. 1

Pretty cool read so far.

I agree!
  • Options
    I received a nice hardcover copy of Batman: A Celebration of 75 Years. Also received Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America: Winter Soldier, both on blu-ray.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I gave my 6-year old nephew another collection of reader copies of Spidey Super Stories and the first Fireside TPB which included 8 of the first tales.

Once the wrapping paper settled down he was curled up on the couch reading the Spidey TPB. Also gave him #4, 6, & 7 of the Ofiicial Handbook of the Marvel Universe tpbs from the mid-80's. He likes to browse through the OHOTMU books, but the reading isn't as light as the Spidey stories. I think I may download all of @Adam_Murdough‌'s episodes and give those to him when his OHOTMU collection is complete (as mine is :) )

• Options
    The Shadow - Fire of Creation and Volume Two: Revolution

Black Adam:Dark Age

Crisis On Infinite Earth book

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Thanks to giftcards and one loveable Aunt waiting until the last minute to order gifts I just got in more comic or comic related X-mas gifts.
    This trade from Checker Books reprints the last year or so of the second series of Aien Legion.
    I love Mr Monster,I love pre-code horror comics,so I love this comic. sZEgmwQ8a2c/VKeq2eXCISI/AAAAAAAACjM/7DRHYUiiYx4/s1600/DSCF3535.JPG" />
    Every year since I spend the X-mas holiday 4 hours from my girlfriend,she will mail a stocking full of small gifts to one of my relatives homes. Last year she stuffed it with as mayy Pez dispensers as she could fit in it. This year I got the above pictured Archie digest and three envelopes. Each one had a store name printed on the outside,then money inside them. I love to go bargain shopping in stores like Dollar General,Family Dollar,Dollar Tree and other stores of similar ilk. But almost always afterwards I feel bad cause the money I spent ,which is usually spent on books or dvds I won't watch/read for sometimes many years. So with the envelopes was a note. Telling me that she would come down and take me to one of the stores on the envelopes and I have to try my best to spend all the money in there. The Archie Digest is pretty good. Maybe someone can answer this for me,when did Archie start giving credit to who created the comics? Most of the stories in this digest at least list who wrote them and who did the pencils. One other neat thing is very early on in the background you get to see Chuck's girlfriend taking a selfie with the hispanic lady they introduced a few years back. Now if you have read Afterlife with Archie you will know in that series these two have a secret relationship. I am wondering if the writer of Afterlife saw this panel and got the idea from it.

I mentioned in my first post in this thread that I got the limited edition tin set of the Warriors of Plasm trading card set that makes up issue 0 of the comic book. I opened it up and was getting ready to sort them all before putting them into my trading card album. Well I am missing 6 cards. So if anyone out there has some extra Warriors of Plasm cards please message me and I will gladly pay you for the cards I need,shipping and even throw in some comics for your time.

One of the envelopes with money said Dirt Cheap on it. Dirt Cheap is a chain of stores that is mostly in the Southeast area. They buy up stock from stores that close or get major damage. Imagine a dingy,slightly smelly,not organized at all version of Big Lots. I love the store cause I never know what I am going to find when I go there. Plus they always got huge bins of ex-rental DVDS or Blu Rays from Blockbuster. I rarely buy toys at Dirt Cheap. Because the stock comes from closed down stores,plus to keep costs down they don't have many employees watching the customers most packages are opened up and sometimes stuff is missing. Add in that all sales are final,I kind of avoid buying stuff like Legos or jigsaw puzzles.
    imageimage

Got this Construct Bots Predaking set for 80% off 25 bucks. I had never bought any of the toys from this line. But I like Legos and had been wanting something new to put up on display on my shelves.Before I put it together I figured it would be hard to get together. It would have almost no articulation. And transforming it wouldn't work that well. I was totally wrong. It was simple to build it in robot and dragon form. It has more articulation than the G-1 Transformers I had as a kid. And it was super easy to Transform. I might go back in a few days and see if they got any more in.This is much better than the K-Reo Optimus Prime Lego ripoff set I got a few years back.
    imageimage
    Got both these novels from my favorite Aunt. I had read Kryptonite Kid years ago. And just re-read it recently as part of my doubletsblogofreviews.blogspot.com/2015/01/2015-reading-challenge-book-001.html. The Wild Cards novel is one of the newer ones I haven't read. Found out that my Uncle had picked out the Wild Cards novel. He saw it on my Amazon wishlist and wanted to read it. So got my Aunt to grab it as one of my X-mas gifts.

I have loved the Wild Card series since I got the first volume from my local library when I was maybe a bit to young to be reading it. I used an Amazon giftcard to get this volume.Mostly because it cost way more than I am willing to spend on a paperback book.

Not really a comic book related item,but the film had Hugh "Wolverine" Jackman in it.I have been meaning to read some fiction from Richard Matheson. Another of my "spending spree" envelopes was for Dollar General. For some reason my tiny town has 5 Dollar Generals. And all of them have 2 spinner racks of cheap paperback books. This collection has 15 short stories. The first one is what the film Real Steel was based on.I haven't seen the film,but did read the story the other night before bed. From talking to a friend that has seen the film,it seems the first 20 minutes of the film adapt the short story and the rest of the film is all new stuff. Another of the stories in the collection was made into an episode of Family Guy. I am not a fan of Family guy but who knows the story might be good.

Got this the same day as I got the Richard Matheson collection. Not a huge Superman fan,but I have enjoyed the Kevin J Anderson books I have read.And $3 for a paperback is decent.And I like the noise the cover makes when I scratch my nail over the lenticular animation cover.

Wow I rambled for a bit. But that is all my comic book related holidays gifts.
  • Options

1963 #1
    Doctor Solar, Man Of The Atom #15 (Gold Key)
    Doctor Solar, Man Of The Atom Vol. 1 (Dark Horse reprinting of Gold Key issues #1-7)
    Lastly, not comics per se but still comic-related, my wife bought me the first DVD set of The New Adventures Of Superman and a Milk And Cheese Lunchbox from Dark Horse that has been collecting dust at my LCS for over a decade.

I love 1963 and find it to be one of Alan Moore's best comic work. Also I am a bit jealous of the Milk and Cheese lunchbox. I collect metal lunchboxes and that one is one of the few post 1986 ones I want.

• Options

I gave my 6-year old nephew another collection of reader copies of Spidey Super Stories and the first Fireside TPB which included 8 of the first tales.

Once the wrapping paper settled down he was curled up on the couch reading the Spidey TPB. Also gave him #4, 6, & 7 of the Ofiicial Handbook of the Marvel Universe tpbs from the mid-80's. He likes to browse through the OHOTMU books, but the reading isn't as light as the Spidey stories. I think I may download all of @Adam_Murdough‌'s episodes and give those to him when his OHOTMU collection is complete (as mine is :) )

I love those trades of OHOTMU. When the deluxe editon of OHOTMU started coming out my Uncle found them and started buying each issue for him and I.It was thanks to that series that he got back into comics. He had started reading comics around the time of Fantastic Four #2. At one time he had a decent collection of early Silver Age Marvel comics. Then one day in the early 80s he loaned them all to a friend that he had served in the Navy with. He never saw that guy again. And while the comics were not in the best shape it still would have been nice to get to read his copies of the classic beginnings of the Marvel universe. I think I might go right now and add all those OHOTMU trades to my Amazon wishlist.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited January 2015
    I got a $100 gift certificate to my LCS (which I plan on blowing today).
    a Rocket Racoon & an Avengers T-shirts
    and Marvel Invaders Classic Vol 1

My daughter got a $25 gift certificate to my LCS
    and the massive Marvel Encyclopedia (Revised edition)

Ho Ho Ho!
  • Options
    Even more cheap comic trades off Amazon using giftcards.

I read a random issue of Terry Leban's Cud Comics years ago. I love his Archie homage artstyle. Been wanting to read more from him. And this trade as a buck plus shipping. YAY cheap trades.

Dark Horse Presents is one of those comics that if I find an issue for a buck or under I am gonna buy it. Found this trade for $1.50 plus shipping. Might end up tracking down volumes 1 and 2.

I have really enjoyed the issue of Nexus I have read. So finding this hardcover archive for 90 cents plus shipping I had to get it. I hope I can find the first volume for cheap soon.

I still got over 30 bucks in credit at Amazon. So gonna search for more cheap trades.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

I have really enjoyed the issue of Nexus I have read. So finding this hardcover archive for 90 cents plus shipping I had to get it. I hope I can find the first volume for cheap soon.

The Dark Horse Nexus archives are great but I think they're far too expensive. However, Dark Horse came through awhile back and started putting out omnibus of the series, full color for $25. It's, for my money, the best damn deal in comics. If you're good with it, I'd suggest switching over to those.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    My ocd is playing up!!! They should be placed in order from 1 - 6, not 6 - 1 :D
  • Options
    When it comes to books, I don't care about WHICH way the order goes, so long as they're in order.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

The Dark Horse Nexus archives are great but I think they're far too expensive. However, Dark Horse came through awhile back and started putting out omnibus of the series, full color for $25. It's, for my money, the best damn deal in comics. If you're good with it, I'd suggest switching over to those.

Thank you for the tip. I find all the Dark Horse trades/hardcovers/archives to be overpriced. That is why I wait and get used copies. At least they aren't as bad as IDW or Dynamite.
  • Options
    The Immortal Iron Fist omnibus- Which is incredible enough I named my username on here after it.

Blackest Night Trade- I like this trade, and picked it up mostly because I was very interested about the other lantern cores. The problem was I'm more of a marvel guy, and I haven't read much DC at all, let alone the build up for this event, so there was a lot of prior knowledge that would of helped to have.

Jason Aaron's Thor God of Thunder Vol 1 Trade- I love this book. Thor is a character that I haven't read a whole lot of, and after reading this trade I am very much so looking forward to remedying that.