Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1526 Talkback - Post-Christmas Mishmosh

Basking in the afterglow of the Christmas holiday, the Geeks open up a sackful of merrily miscellaneous Comic Talk in this episode. We open mail (and presents!) from listeners, compare notes on the geeky gifts we gave and received, reminisce (fondly and less-than-fondly) about various Star Trek movies, describe the latest DC Lego sets, and wander off on plenty of tangents and sidebars that go a-wassailing WAY off topic! Plus there's time for a Muddle the Murd and a bit of Doctor Who talk. It's like a mug of fresh cocoa for your ears--with marshmallows! (1:51:57)

Fa-La-La-La-Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited December 2014
    Another fun episode geeks! Perfect pace and length too, with some fitness advice added in as well.

Wanted to respond to the Dark Horse Star Wars story talk. Some of you may have seen this since recording this episode, but Marvel is indeed reprinting the Dark Horse tales under the "Legends" banner, meaning, no longer cannon, but some great stories... or some such. This is expected to be the first of many. I for one am glad these tales won't fade away into the ether.

According to a recent solicit on StarWars.com, the tales will be reprinting in the Marvel prestigious Epic Collection format beginning with Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Empire Vol. 1 (TPB). This will be a trade paperback that collects Star Wars: Republic #78–80, Star Wars: Purge, Star Wars: Purge: Seconds to Die, Star Wars: Purge: The Hidden Blade, Star Wars: Purge: The Tyrant's Fist #1–2, Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Lost Command #1–5, and Star Wars: Dark Times #1–5. It will be released on April 8, 2015 and the retail price is #34.99, most certain to be discounted through DCBS and IST.

I did not get into much of the Dark Horse titles at the time, so I don't know if this is a complete collection or proper reading order, but I'm sure someone else in the forums can offer a better perspective on this. Those issue numbers certainly give me pause. As far as who decides what is canon in the Star Wars universe, it still falls under the Lucasfilm banner via folks like Leland Chee, who maintains Lucas Licensing's continuity database. I'm sure Disney is involved to a large degree, but it was announced on StarWars.com back in April that the entire EU would be converted to merely "Legends," much to the rising anger of EU fans worldwide.

Congrats to @Caliban‌ on successfully muddling the Murd! Awesome. Be sure to add it to the archives. Looking forward to the upcoming BOMC and Spotlights that were mentioned near the end. Always a delight when @wildpigcomics‌'s Chris Eberle takes us to school, and I look forward to Professor Adam's Spotlight turn as well. And before I forget, Happy birthday @Adam_Murdough‌ and Happy New Year to you all. May your 2015 be an even more blessed year than 2014!
  • Options
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my fellow geeks!
  • Options
    Thanks for this last episode of the year geeks!

There is actually this whole wikipedia article about Star Wars canon, its history and current state.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Nice episode, guys. Happy New Year to all and Happy Birthday to Adam.

Congrats to Pants for taking off so much weight and becoming more physically active. I agree with Chris that there's really no need to go all out with both lifting weights AND extensive cardio (running) on the same day. My advice would be to just do whatever you feel like doing and whatever feels good, because if you're already at the point where you feel good to have done some exercise, then in a sense you've already won. A little jogging on the days when you lift weights or do crunches is fine, but there's absolutely no need to run three miles after working out for an hour already. Also, even though I myself am more of a runner and a cross-country skiier and a kayaker... it has to be said that just straight up WALKING is infinitely better than nothing. Don't feel bad if you're "just" on a treadmill walking for a half hour or whatever; walking is still really healthy. Congrats again.

Also, Avengers World: It's a decent title. I think I liked the first 7-8 issues more than the more recent 7-8 issues, but it's still a fun read, with every few issues giving a spotlight to various characters. I do think it was better when Hickman was more involved, but I still think it should be selling more copies than it does. Can't say I'd recommend anyone going back to snap up many $3.99 back issues, but if you find them at a discount ever, they are worth the money and really do add to the mythos of Hickman's saga.
  • Options
    Another solid episode of catching up with the goings ons of the geeks. SOOOO looking forward to the Best of 2014 episode as well as the spotlight Murd is working on. That character is one of my favorites.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Elsiebub said:

Also, Avengers World: It's a decent title. I think I liked the first 7-8 issues more than the more recent 7-8 issues, but it's still a fun read, with every few issues giving a spotlight to various characters. I do think it was better when Hickman was more involved, but I still think it should be selling more copies than it does. Can't say I'd recommend anyone going back to snap up many $3.99 back issues, but if you find them at a discount ever, they are worth the money and really do add to the mythos of Hickman's saga.

Yup, enjoyed it until Hickman moved on.

• Options
    Make sure to listen to the extra bits on the App this time around specifically. Lots of good nuggets about future episodes there that have me pumped!
  • Options
    Is this app available at Amazon for my Kindle Fire legit? Made by Wizzard Media...
  • Options
    I got the app! Thanks!
  • Options
    The app is available for Android now? I have been sad to be missing the extras!
  • Options
    Because it's available at Amazon for Kindle Fire, it just about has to be for Android at the Google Play store.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited January 2015
    Random thoughts on things from this episode:

I also remember hearing that Gene Roddenberry said he didn't consider Star Trek V to be canon, but like the thing Pants read (though always take Wikipedia with a grain of salt unless it's super well-sourced... and that's One to Grow On!), I'm not sure how official that decree was. I remember reading that he definitely considered the 70s Filmation animated version out of bounds, though. But whether you're talking about Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, or anything else with a ton of spin-off material, I'm a big fan of head canon... if you like it, it counts to you.

Also, Star Trek V is dumb, but fun. Lots of good Kirk-Spock-McCoy bits in there, and the Yosemite scenes with them might be some of the best character moments between the 3 of them in all of Trek. And I liked Kirk's bit about needing his pain. That says a lot about ol' JTK.

The new DC Lego sets are awesome... I only have the Grodd one so far, but I may end up getting the whole range sooner or later. I noticed that the Hawkman wings and Batman space wings did look a little softer/flimsier, which is too bad, but the regular capes are made of a different (or at least slightly thicker) material now, too, and I like those better. Also, the new Bat cowl is fantastic and looks a lot less helmet-ier, now. You take the good, you take the bad.

And my wife and I both took a page from @ShaneKelly‌'s book this Christmas. I FINALLY tracked down and bought the Lego Ideas Research Institute set for my wife to give back to me, and she bought a laminating machine for scrapbooking that I could give to her. Takes the surprise out of Christmas morning, of course, but you know you'll dig the gift! :))
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited January 2015

@JaceTheComicSource‌ It is, yeah. But it is on the Amazon store only, not the Google one. So all you would need to do is install the Amazon App on your device if you have not already done so, then go to Settings on your phone or tablet. Under Security, make sure "Unknown Sources" is checked. That will allow you to install apps from other app stores. Then search for the CGS app on the Amazon App, buy it, download, install, and voila!
  • Options

@JaceTheComicSource‌ It is, yeah. But it is on the Amazon store only, not the Google one. So all you would need to do is install the Amazon App on your device if you have not already done so, then go to Settings on your phone or tablet. Under Security, make sure "Unknown Sources" is checked. That will allow you to install apps from other app stores. Then search for the CGS app on the Amazon App, buy it, download, install, and voila!
    Hmm I bequeathed my Kindle Fire to my 3 yr old daughter when I got a 10 inch tablet, but I am pretty sure my phone has the Amazon marketplace on it. I can't wait ... looks like Christmas has come all over again.
  • Options
    Also, @Pants, related to the sound volume: There's an application I've used for years now called Levelator. You can run any .wav through it, and it will equalize the sound of each microphone. And best of all, it doesn't change the original file, so if you're not satisfied with the wav it creates, you still have the original to work off of. It's available for both Windows and Mac, so if you want to give it a shot, it might be worth it.
  • Options

Also, @Pants, related to the sound volume: There's an application I've used for years now called Levelator.

Filing that bookmark away for possible future very helpful use. Thanks!
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    Really enjoyed the episode.

I'm curious about Avengers World ... I'll admit that I've been away from comics reading for a great long while (and yet can still enjoy CGS - how about that!) but my ears perked up when Starbrand was mentioned.

Is this the New Universe Starbrand?
  • Options
    I'm looking at Murd through my iPod.
  • Options
    Steeven said:

I'm curious about Avengers World ... I'll admit that I've been away from comics reading for a great long while (and yet can still enjoy CGS - how about that!) but my ears perked up when Starbrand was mentioned.

Well, it's definitely not the same character (Ken Connell) who bore the Star Brand in the New Universe comics--it's a native of the mainstream Marvel Universe Earth (616) who's gained the Star Brand and its powers. Whether the Star Brand itself is, or is related to, the one that originated in the New Universe, or is just an Earth-616 analogue to it, I'm not at all sure.
  • Options

Steeven said:

Well, it's definitely not the same character (Ken Connell) who bore the Star Brand in the New Universe comics--it's a native of the mainstream Marvel Universe Earth (616) who's gained the Star Brand and its powers. Whether the Star Brand itself is, or is related to, the one that originated in the New Universe, or is just an Earth-616 analogue to it, I'm not at all sure.
    Intersting ... this is what happens when you stop reading comics for 5 years :smiley:

• Options
    The discussion of original art has started to get my eye twitching again. I haven't added much in the way of original art to my collection in the last year or two. I'm feeling the need again. :smiley:
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    I have no original art, but know that the one artist I want is going to be expensive. Where are the best places to look online to buy art? Is eBay the best, or are there other places? Teach me the ways of the @Pants‌ !
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    compsolut said:

I have no original art, but know that the one artist I want is going to be expensive. Where are the best places to look online to buy art? Is eBay the best, or are there other places? Teach me the ways of the @Pants‌ !

First listen to Episode 591 where we talked original art. 8-)

Besides eBay, there are plenty of dealer sites and auction houses where you can find lots of art. It all depends on what you're looking for.

• Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    Pants said:

First listen to Episode 591 where we talked original art. 8-)

I have been going from the beginning using the app, and just finished Episode 583 on the drive this morning. Couldn't have timed this better, a CGS episode in continuity!

• Options
    Great episode as always, gentlemen!

Here comes a whole lot of thoughts on things talked about:

As mentioned above, Marvel does have the rights to reprint the Dark Horse stuff, and they will be in their "Epic" line of trades. The trade posted above is the first of many. That particular trade is full of stories from various publications, but all relate around Darth Vader, and they appear at first glance to be all around a similar time period chronologically....if memory serves me right. I'm sure with certain reprints we'll get special treatments....like maybe a nice hardcover edition of Dark Empire.

I looked up the variant covers being listed, and one site is claiming 95 total covers. BUT, when you take out the "signed" editions which are just the same covers with a signature and you take out the "remarqued" editions which are the blank covers with a drawing of a character on them, you come down to 65 covers. Then when you take out those covers that are just B&W sketch versions of the same cover, you get down to 42 covers that actually have a different image on the front (and this includes the recently announced Alex Ross cover exclusive to the Alex Ross store online).

Shane, I was equally disappointed in the cape/wings for the Justice League Lego figures. I thought for sure they would be hard plastic. They are still awesome sets. I just wish those wings had been done differently.

Chris cracked me up sounding like the stodgy old guy complaining about video games. It reminded me of phrasing you could hear from parents in the 50's, "These kinds with their rock and roll." While I completely agree with monitoring the time that kids play games and making sure they pursue other endeavors, I can't support the thought that video games don't have their own merits. As comic book readers, I'm sure we have been dismissed in the same fashion that comics serve no purpose, yet we know that they help in reading, an appreciation for art, knowledge, etc. Video games many times can serve the same purpose. They can give an outlet to socialize for those kids that are more introverted. They can help kids problem solve. There are a number of things they do. I grew up in the days of the original Nintendo Entertainment System, and I have a lot of fond memories playing those games, with friends and on my own. Some of those game franchises tell amazing stories that to this day inspire me to be creative (and why we can't get a decent movie made about any game is beyond my comprehension because the stories are rich if not dismissed). Much like comics, movies, TV, books, etc., video games have their place in entertainment and there are amazing worlds created to enjoy. Yes, monitoring what your kids play and how long they play is essential (as with anything else), but I wouldn't readily dismiss them.
  • Options
    Oh, and I know Chris mentioned how DDP went to IDW and it was uncertain if IDW had the rights to reprint DDP's run. They do, and actually have been reprinting those. They have been releasing trades called "Disavowed". They have done the full initial run of DDP's Joe title, and are a few trades into America's Elite. The latest trade that was solicited by IDW has the issues leading right up to the World War III story that Chris talked about. So the next volume should start that story (maybe, and hopefully, they will produce a hardcover collection again for that story). Once that story is done, the full DDP run will be in trade format from IDW, and then they can focus on the side series that were done like Frontline and Reloaded.

Now you know....
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

Didn't Quasar bring the Starbrand into the 616?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Didn't Quasar bring the Starbrand into the 616?
    He did, and his receptionist/love interest Kayla Ballantine ended up "branded" with it. But I don't know whether or not that's the same Star Brand currently in use in Avengers World.
  • Options
    SpydesSpydes Posts: 35
    Another great episode, guys. The dynamic topic changes and mish-moshed Christmas tales, made me already nostalgic for the recently passed holiday season.

I just wanted to add a quick note to congratulate @Pants on his commitment to wellness. Over the past few years I have lost quite a bit of weight myself (currently about 40lbs lighter than my former self), so I know how significant a change this is on your lifestyle. I just want you to know that you CAN maintain a healthier you and your family, friends, and body will thank you for all the hard work. Don't worry so much about your endurance for running, and remember to celebrate your successes!

Keep up the good work in all aspects! =D>