Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cons 2015!

So, what is everyone planning or looking forward to?

Me, Gallifrey One, Heroes Con and Chicago Tardis.

Comments

• Options
    Wondercon and SDCC
  • Options
    MSP ComiCon, formerly SpringCon. I love the Minnesota conventions.

And if I get the job I am gunning for, I may try C2E2. Maybe.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'll be setting up a table at both Amazing Arizona 2015 and the Phoenix ComiCon...both great shows.

In addition, I'll be attending SDCC if I can get pro passes again this year.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Thinking about skipping my annual con this year. The guest list is crap,the dealers I like aren't coming this year. Plus they just raised the price to $50 for the weekend. Might just instead take half the money I was going to spend driving down and going,and go dig through a few shops cheap bins.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Thinking about skipping my annual con this year. The guest list is crap,the dealers I like aren't coming this year. Plus they just raised the price to $50 for the weekend. Might just instead take half the money I was going to spend driving down and going,and go dig through a few shops cheap bins.

What Convention is that?

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Planning is one thing, being able to actually make to the con is another. We try to go as a family but the cost is just getting too prohibitive for some of them and sometimes it just doesn't happen because of work.

We make tenative plans for Adepticon, NWI Comic Con, BrickWorld Chicago, Indy and Fort Wayne, Gen Con, C2E2, Wizard World Chicago, Indiana Comic Con, Origins and Appleseed.

That's not too many, right?

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Barring any family members weddings, I'll be heading to the Denver Comic Con. I'll be attending as a fan for pme. of the day and I'll be there representing my school for a few hours as we attempt to recruit new families. I'll have my son, and maybe my daughter, there with me.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

dubbat138 said:

What Convention is that?

Coast Con in Biloxi MS. It has become more of a gaming/costuming con that it use to be. I have kept going mostly out of habit. I know Jackson has a con might check it out instead. It is much closer.
  • Options
    I won't be getting to may cons at all this year, unfortunately, but, barring any last-minute disasters or catastrophes, I will be helping out a friend at his table in the Artist's Alley at this year's Emerald City Comic Con, here in Seattle.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited January 2015
    The Atlanta Comic Convention meets 4 times per year. The next one is Sunday Feb 1 11am-5pm. It's a one-day con. $5 admission. Lots of dollar comics, a few guests, nothing earth shattering. A real no frills comic con.
    Website here: http://www.atlantacomicconvention.com/index.html

DragonCon, MUCH.BIGGER.DEAL. also takes place in Atlanta, going on Sept 4-7: http://www.atlantacomicconvention.com/index.html

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'll probably just daytrip HeroesCon this year.

I'm also looking forward to the second year of SC Comicon, and hoping they out-draw the interlopers from Wizardworld, who are moving into Greenville this year.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Opinions of WonderCon Anaheim?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    WonderCon isn't bad. A decent amount of focus is still on comics. It's pretty heavy on cosplay, as you might expect for that area, but I get to talk to a bunch of animation guys I know, so that's cool.

I'll be working WonderCon again this year, and Heroes Con, of course. I'll probably do NYCC too. That'll likely be it.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I haven't been to a convention since NYCC 2012. It's getting to be too expensive and it's hard for me to get into the city on the weekends from where I live in Jersey. I'd love to go back to NYCC or the Special Edition thing they do.
  • Options
    AxelBrass said:

To me Wondercon is SDCC lite. All the same things that you would find at San Diego just on a smaller scale. A very good show to attend in my opinion.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

AxelBrass said:

To me Wondercon is SDCC lite. All the same things that you would find at San Diego just on a smaller scale. A very good show to attend in my opinion.
    A much smaller scale. And I do think the ratio of comics to other media is larger at WonderCon than CCI:SD. There's not much of a video game presence at WonderCon for example. And while there is a large movie/TV presence in the programming and in the autograph area, it's not nearly as evident on the main show floor.
  • Options
    JaceTheComicSourceJaceTheComicSource Posts: 140
    edited January 2015

AxelBrass said:

A much smaller scale. And I do think the ratio of comics to other media is larger at WonderCon than CCI:SD. There's not much of a video game presence at WonderCon for example. And while there is a large movie/TV presence in the programming and in the autograph area, it's not nearly as evident on the main show floor.
    True but it gives you an idea of what San Diego is like. I would always suggest for someone to try out Wondercon first before going to SDCC. If you can't handle the crowds/lines at Wondercon, then there is no way you should go to SDCC.
    Wondercon has a great Artist Alley, good publisher presence and tons of creators to meet! Not to mention a very good retailer area with plenty of good deals to be had. One word of advice though, since it is often held on Easter weekend a lot of the creators aren't actually there on Sunday so I suggest going on Friday or Saturday.
  • Options

AxelBrass said:

True but it gives you an idea of what San Diego is like. I would always suggest for someone to try out Wondercon first before going to SDCC. If you can't handle the crowds/lines at Wondercon, then there is no way you should go to SDCC.
    Wondercon has a great Artist Alley, good publisher presence and tons of creators to meet! Not too mention a very good retailer area with plenty of good deals to be had. One word of advice though, since it is often held on Easter weekend a lot of the creators aren't actually there on Sunday so I suggest going on Friday or Saturday.
    I just checked out the guest list.

Neal Adams, Sergio Aragonés, Becky Cloonan, Darwyn Cooke are all on the first page.

No brainer - I'm buying tickets.

Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    I just need to get my one day pass of C2E2 this year. I have my cosplay almost ready to go as well. So excited!
  • Options
    croshin said:

I just need to get my one day pass of C2E2 this year. I have my cosplay almost ready to go as well. So excited!

Be sure to post some pic's!

• Options
    I'm going to try and go to East Coast Comic Con. This will be my first time going there, so I hope it is worth the price of admission. Plus, Neal Adams and Jim Steranko are going to be there!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    @Pants will we be seeing you in Minnesota again this year?
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Mr_Cosmic said:

@Pants will we be seeing you in Minnesota again this year?

No plans now. The closest I'll get to Minnesota is probably C2E2 at the end of April.

• Options
    chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    Boston Comic Con and New York Comic Con.
  • Options
    Rod28 said:

So, what is everyone planning or looking forward to?

Me, Gallifrey One, Heroes Con and Chicago Tardis.

JEKYLL COMIC CON - Dec 12 2015. :) Mike & Ming from comic book men, Walking Dead guests, artists, indie films...
    facebook.com/jekyllcon2

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508

I won't be getting to may cons at all this year, unfortunately, but, barring any last-minute disasters or catastrophes, I will be helping out a friend at his table in the Artist's Alley at this year's Emerald City Comic Con, here in Seattle.

Hey, that's great. Maybe I'll run into you there. I had bought my 3-Day pass 2 months ago, but I just found out that the passes are all SOLD OUT for all three days. I guess some of my Seattle friends won't be able to attend. I should've warned them. That con has become more popular year-by-year.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Shafted out of SDCC (again), but I'm hoping to make it to several other cons this year to make up for it. Headed down to Jersey for East Coast Comicon in early April. Going to a Lego fan convention in May in Marlborough, MA. Hoping to check out a new show in nearby Worcester, MASSive Comic Con, in June. Boston Comic Con is that last weekend in July/first weekend in August and expands to a much needed 3rd day. And Rhode Island Comic Con is in early November, but I'm wondering if I'll skip that this year in favor of Long Island Who, the nearest Doctor Who con.

Busy year, is what I'm saying.
  • Options
    Rod28Rod28 Posts: 63
    @LibraryBoy, I highly recommend LI Who 3. Ken Deep does a great job running this con.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Definitely C2E2 with my son in April. Can't wait! It will be his first major con at 11. Going to focus on him.

Might hit Gem City con in Dayton OH for one day trip. Need to decide on HeroesCon.