Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Infinite Crisis

Well, as i said in another post i'm new to the DC universe but keen to get in to it so i gave infinite crisis a bash....my face the whole way through :s it confused the crap out of me! so many characters! Good art though and probably a good story in there, just not ideal for new readers! Kept seeing marvel characters and having to go no thats not she hulk, its some other green lady! the most confusing was Deathstoke....Slade Wilson.. reminds me of a certain someone, anyone know who came first and why they are both so similar?!

Best Answer

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Answer ✓
    From wikipedia:

Created by artist Rob Liefeld and writer Fabian Nicieza, Deadpool made his first appearance in the pages of New Mutants #98 published in February 1991. Rob Liefeld, a fan of the Teen Titans comics, showed his new character to then writer Fabian Nicieza. Upon seeing the costume and noting his characteristics (killer with super agility), Nicieza contacted Liefeld, saying "this is Deathstroke from Teen Titans." Nicieza gave Deadpool the real name of "Wade Wilson" as an in-joke to being "related" to "Slade Wilson", Deathstroke.

Answers

• Options
    deathstorke showed in 1980.
    deadpool in 1991.

As for why they are similar I do not know but it's comics every takes other folks ideas.
  • Options
    DerroldDerrold Posts: 11
    well that makes inventing a new character so much easier!
    Introducing: Toni Sterk AKA Steel lady! (Patent pending)
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    From wikipedia:

Created by artist Rob Liefeld and writer Fabian Nicieza, Deadpool made his first appearance in the pages of New Mutants #98 published in February 1991. Rob Liefeld, a fan of the Teen Titans comics, showed his new character to then writer Fabian Nicieza. Upon seeing the costume and noting his characteristics (killer with super agility), Nicieza contacted Liefeld, saying "this is Deathstroke from Teen Titans." Nicieza gave Deadpool the real name of "Wade Wilson" as an in-joke to being "related" to "Slade Wilson", Deathstroke.
    So you could argue that the similarity in names is Nicieza making fun of Liefeld? Now, that's funny.
  • Options
    Well, as i said in another post i'm new to the DC universe but keen to get in to it so i gave infinite crisis a bash....my face the whole way through :s it confused the crap out of me! so many characters! Good art though and probably a good story in there, just not ideal for new readers! Kept seeing marvel characters and having to go no thats not she hulk, its some other green lady! the most confusing was Deathstoke....Slade Wilson.. reminds me of a certain someone, anyone know who came first and why they are both so similar?!
    Wow... Some punctuation and capital letters would do wonders for my understanding of the first 4/5ths of what you wrote...

As for Dtathstroke/Deadpool... Deathstroke always reminded me more of Taskmaster... another character (I presume) was designed by Perez.
  • Options
    Wow... Some punctuation and capital letters would do wonders for my understanding of the first 4/5ths of what you wrote...

:D
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    feel your pain on understanding infinite crisis, i found the trade at a half price books and was pretty excited to check it out (mostly a marvel guy) and by the end i was just.....huh?
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    feel your pain on understanding infinite crisis, i found the trade at a half price books and was pretty excited to check it out (mostly a marvel guy) and by the end i was just.....huh?
    I enjoyed Infinite Crisis,but totally understand how it could be confusing to anyone that hasn't read a bunch of DC stuff.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    deadpool in 1991.

As for why they are similar I do not know but it's comics every takes other folks ideas.
    If you read Deadpool's early appearances by Liefeld, he is a straight up Deathstroke knockoff. It wasn't until Joe Kelly revamped the character that he became the character we know now.

• Options
    edited May 2012

I'm sorry @Justin_TheBuck, but I had to...

• Options
    I'm not writing an academic essay so you'll have to excuse me I I forget a few capital letters. If you can't read something that is so obviously legible to everyone else then don't bother and don't bother commenting on it.
  • Options
    I'm not writing an academic essay so you'll have to excuse me I I forget a few capital letters. If you can't read something that is so obviously legible to everyone else then don't bother and don't bother commenting on it.
    Much better.
  • Options
    Thanks autocorrect accepts your approval
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Infinite Crisis was a piece of garbage, even for those of us who were reading plenty of the company's comics at the time.

Pick up the far superior Identity Crisis, or even go to the first big event, Crisis on Infinite Earths.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Infinite Crisis was a piece of garbage, even for those of us who were reading plenty of the company's comics at the time.

Pick up the far superior Identity Crisis, or even go to the first big event, Crisis on Infinite Earths.
    Before Infinite Crisis the only DC stuff I had read in about 5 years was Identity crisis. I loved Infinite Crisis and it got me back into the DC universe. Which is something that Identity crisis didn't do.

• Options

I have to disagree. I know that a lot of people like Identity Crisis, but the "mystery" wasn't one as they used the oldest cliche in mystery writing(attempted victim, who is the second attack is the killer), it brought a level of darkness to characters not built for it, and turned heroes into distasteful bastards just to fit the story, not as an outgrowth of character.

It was just tone deaf.
  • Options
    PS the "rejected answer" was a mistake. I was trying to quote and hit the wrong button. I apologize...still getting used to the new forums.
  • Options

Before Infinite Crisis the only DC stuff I had read in about 5 years was Identity crisis. I loved Infinite Crisis and it got me back into the DC universe. Which is something that Identity crisis didn't do.

Infinite Crisis brought me back to reading the DCU.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I had to knock this thread back up to the top because I re-read Infinite Crisis over the weekend. It's the first time reading it since the original issues came out. I'm not feeling the New 52 and been on this pre-Flashpoint continuity kick lately. I find myself appreciating Infinite even more than I did the first time I read it. I really thought it was a pretty good follow up to Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I also went back and listen to the CGS podcast discussion on Infinite Crisis #7. It was sooo great to hear Jamie's voice. I miss him. I really do. I have to give props to Peter Rios. He was pretty much being ganged up on my Bryan, Matt, and Jamie, who didn't like IC as much as he but he held his own pretty well. All in all, it was a great spirited discussion. I started listening to CGS in 2005, not long after they started, and I do plan on going back and listening to more classic episodes. I think the 1997-2006 JLA is next on my Down pre-New 52 DC Memory Lane agenda.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited September 2014
    I think I might dig up Final Crisis and reread it w/commentary. Julian and Murd blew that up. DC should pay CGS to package that with an Oversized Ultimate Final Crisis Omnibus - Deluxe Commentary Edition.

edit: that edition wouldn't be an Omnibus; it would be an Absolute Edition.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Dman said:

I had to knock this thread back up to the top because I re-read Infinite Crisis over the weekend. It's the first time reading it since the original issues came out. I'm not feeling the New 52 and been on this pre-Flashpoint continuity kick lately. I find myself appreciating Infinite even more than I did the first time I read it. I really thought it was a pretty good follow up to Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I also went back and listen to the CGS podcast discussion on Infinite Crisis #7. It was sooo great to hear Jamie's voice. I miss him. I really do. I have to give props to Peter Rios. He was pretty much being ganged up on my Bryan, Matt, and Jamie, who didn't like IC as much as he but he held his own pretty well. All in all, it was a great spirited discussion. I started listening to CGS in 2005, not long after they started, and I do plan on going back and listening to more classic episodes. I think the 1997-2006 JLA is next on my Down pre-New 52 DC Memory Lane agenda.

That was a great time to be reading DC. I really enjoyed Infinite Crisis and still go back to it from time to time.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Dman said:

That was a great time to be reading DC. I really enjoyed Infinite Crisis and still go back to it from time to time.

Yeah, they really did a great job there for about 5 years or so, having Johns, Morrison, Waid and Rucka as their lead writers gave us some great stuff. I know Final Crisis is controversial, but I loved it and had no idea that would be the story to close out a great era of DC.