Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Iceman Switches Teams! (spoilers)

13»

Comments

• Options
    pfinneganpfinnegan Posts: 32
    gland said:

Bobby grew up in the 60s. Do I believe that he was ever intended to be gay in the first place? No. Is it unreasonable that a gay teenager in the 1960s would hide that fact about himself because of how the world around him would react? No. ESPECIALLY when he already has to deal with everyone hating and fearing him for being a mutant...who would want to double that grief by also being an openly gay mutant, in a time of low tolerance?

You make a good point about it being difficult for someone to come out as gay. However young Bobby isnt actually from the 60's. He's probably from mid to late 90's. Marvel has a sliding timescale, so if older Bobby is, say 35 years old, younger Bobby is from 20 years ago at most. It just puts it in a different context. Not saying bigotry wasn't big in the 90's--it was--but certainly not as bad as the 60's.
  • Options
    (WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM "BLACK VORTEX")

I haven't read the issue yet, but I did read "Guardians of the Galaxy and the X-Men Black Vortex Omega #1" (Side note: Could that title *BE* any longer?? /ChandlerBing). In any event, in the Black Vortex storyline, numerous members of the X-Men and GotG get turned into cosmic beings and at the end, (SPOILERS >>>) the Vortex allows them the option of having their cosmic powers removed but warns them they will not revert back to how they were, that they will be fundamentally changed:

Is it possible that this will turn out to be the reason for his change and why the modern day Bobby Drake is apparently hetero? I mean, I understand about people being in the closet and all, but the guy was a confirmed skirt chaser for decades (I can recall him pining away in heartbroken fashion for Lorna Dane). I don't know, just tossing it out there.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

(WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM "BLACK VORTEX")

I haven't read the issue yet, but I did read "Guardians of the Galaxy and the X-Men Black Vortex Omega #1" (Side note: Could that title *BE* any longer?? /ChandlerBing). In any event, in the Black Vortex storyline, numerous members of the X-Men and GotG get turned into cosmic beings and at the end, (SPOILERS >>>) the Vortex allows them the option of having their cosmic powers removed but warns them they will not revert back to how they were, that they will be fundamentally changed:

Is it possible that this will turn out to be the reason for his change and why the modern day Bobby Drake is apparently hetero? I mean, I understand about people being in the closet and all, but the guy was a confirmed skirt chaser for decades (I can recall him pining away in heartbroken fashion for Lorna Dane). I don't know, just tossing it out there.

Anything is possible. I haven't read this story yet, but from how you describe it, I would guess they might only use this to explain things if it turns out that they are basically a different group of X-Men in the first place. That the X-Men that arrived in New X-Men #1 were a different group of five people on a multiversal level. Coming from a different, perhaps not yet diverged, Marvel Universe much like the 616, but different in some ways. That they were X-Men that were truly "New" to the 616. I don't think they will go that way, as I believe they have firmly established that they are meant to be time travelers and not universe hoppers.

That said, in general, I think if the page you posted ends up being an explanation, either by the current team on New X-Men, or later creators undoing things, it would be a poor choice. It would basically be saying that there are cosmic rays that can turn you gay or whatever. That is the stuff of making deals with the devil to reboot your marital status.
  • Options
    Eh, it wasn't so much "cosmic rays" changed them, it was more like a "the very fabric of the universe changed them" type of thing. The Black Vortex was this huge mirror and if you looked into it you would see a completely different cosmically-enhanced version of yourself and if you then submitted to the Vortex, this "other" version of yourself would emerge. Like I said, I don't know. Just offering it up as a possible explanation as to how it's possible that Bobby Drake might switch teams.

Oh ... PS - The Black Vortex sucked, so save your money! Interesting story/plot, but the writing was horrific. Just wall-to-wall overly-forced cultural references/quips, to the point it was uncomfortable to read.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    David_D said:

It would basically be saying that there are cosmic rays that can turn you gay or whatever. That is the stuff of making deals with the devil to reboot your marital status.

With your wife's blessing.

The only thing I can think about when I see this coverage is a kevin smith rant. It makes the sarcastic side of me want to congratulate marvel on becoming Mall Rats

If you were going to pick xman to switch, iceman is perfect. He has a name, but doesn't really matter in the x-verse.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    David_D said:

It would basically be saying that there are cosmic rays that can turn you gay or whatever.

That's not as farfetched as one might think. I have an uncle who turned gay after being exposed to cosmic rays. Of course, times were different back then and people weren't as informed about the danger of overexposure to "cosmic gay rays" as they are today.

He takes medication to keep it under control for the most part now but he still can't go out on sunny days. The last time he tried it was like a B52s music video exploded all over the street.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited April 2015
    David_D said:

It would basically be saying that there are cosmic rays that can turn you gay or whatever.

Well, standing outside on a nice day soaking in the sun makes me quite happy.

Now, where was that “Science, bitches” meme?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

David_D said:

I saw a documentary on the FF & a page from the initial concept: The Fantastic Five. The page featured the 4 members & the dropped character Pete Mest when they returned to Earth following the cosmic rays exposure. The dialogue was:

Ben: I'm a Thing.
    Sue: I'm invisible.
    Johnny: I'm on fire.
    Reed: My body has an elasticity to it.
    Pete: I'm gay now.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

I saw a documentary on the FF & a page from the initial concept: The Fantastic Five. The page featured the 4 members & the dropped character Pete Mest when they returned to Earth following the cosmic rays exposure. The dialogue was:

Ben: I'm a Thing.
    Sue: I'm invisible.
    Johnny: I'm on fire.
    Reed: My body has an elasticity to it.
    Pete: I'm gay now.

M

In the end there was only room for one "flaming" hero in the FF, so Pete Mest had to go.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

David_D said:

That's not as farfetched as one might think. I have an uncle who turned gay after being exposed to cosmic rays. Of course, times were different back then and people weren't as informed about the danger of overexposure to "cosmic gay rays" as they are today.

He takes medication to keep it under control for the most part now but he still can't go out on sunny days. The last time he tried it was like a B52s music video exploded all over the street.

Just imagine the backlash if the cosmic rays made the adult Bobby straight. There'd be bible thumpers trying to figure out how to harness cosmic rays to "save" sinners!

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Are you saying Backlash is gay?

• Options

You rang?

• Options
    MrBrewIVMrBrewIV Posts: 1
    Bendis insists that this storyline will be more properly explored in UXM#600. . . Now UXM#600 will be 5 months late! What's up with that?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

OK - odd idea that came to me as I am reading the Avengers stuff to get reeady for Secret Wars:

The rules of the Marvel Universe used to be that you can't time travel back to your own past, but your travel can affect your timeline (all explained in ruthless detail by Roy Thomas back in FF Annual #11, Marvel 2 in 1 Annual #1 and M2in1 #20) so...the X-Men can't go back to the past...maybe it's because that past no longer exists. It was destroyed in an incursion.

"What do you think, sirs?" - Joel MST3K.

Time is broken anyway, thanks to Age of Ultron.

What a shitacular series.