Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Raising Prices in Comics

Though we all know the prices have been skyrocketing, Vertigo has just announced that they will be upping all of their $2.99 books to $3.99 in July.
https://vertigology.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/american-vampire-jumps-to-3-99-is-vertigo-ups-prices-for-most-books/

This was the last hold-out at DC, and a bad sign for alt-themed books, which have been keeping the prices a little lower. Are we heading to $5 monthly books? Is this going to cause you to reduce your monthly books on the pull list?

It certainly is going to make me rethink what I am committing to.

Comments

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Wait. American Vampire is jumping to $3.99 yet the article shows an issue of the book from 2010 that is cover priced at... $3.99. Research much? Haha.
  • Options
    shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    American Vampire Second Cycle has been $2.99, the issue pictured is just an old issue.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    edited April 2015
    The first ten issues were $3.99. And then DC did their "holding the line" promotion. I can't fault them for raising their prices of fringe titles after 4 years of trying to get their readers to buy the issues at a lower cost. If sales drops, but they still want to make money, something's going to have to give. Marvel has been line wide $3.99 on the majority of their output for years. It's not for me, but I'm also not going to lay the blame at DC's feet for this.
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    Even though Marvel has moved to $3.99 on most of their titles, I at least feel like I am getting a bit more when I have a digital code. I still love reading floppies, but it sure is nice to have a library of comics with me on the go in digital form too. If you're going to hit me for more, at least make me feel like I get more :)
  • Options
    I completely second the digital code addition. I'm still a little surprised that digital codes have not gone industry wide yet. It still seems a little strange that we aren't getting digital codes on all trades and issues, it just seems kind of like common sense. DC has been really behind on this, I have a digital library of more than three hundred Marvel books and like 20 DC because their combo packs aren't nearly as accessible as Marvel's offering.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    The universal jump to $3.99 has been a noticeable hit on my wallet. On more than one occasion in the last couple of months I have put a title back on the rack for what would have been an "impulse buy", due to sticker shock of my weekly Wednesday total. As a result of $3.99, I'm considering signing up for Marvel's Unlimited subscription service to cover off those impulse buys. Sucks for my LCS, but for about the price of 2 impulse buys a month, I'll (hopefully) have access to a bunch of stuff that I passed up.

Too bad I hate reading comics on my iPad.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    shaneb said:

I completely second the digital code addition. I'm still a little surprised that digital codes have not gone industry wide yet. It still seems a little strange that we aren't getting digital codes on all trades and issues, it just seems kind of like common sense. DC has been really behind on this, I have a digital library of more than three hundred Marvel books and like 20 DC because their combo packs aren't nearly as accessible as Marvel's offering.

Thirded.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    compsolut said:

Even though Marvel has moved to $3.99 on most of their titles, I at least feel like I am getting a bit more when I have a digital code. I still love reading floppies, but it sure is nice to have a library of comics with me on the go in digital form too. If you're going to hit me for more, at least make me feel like I get more :)

I've been getting some DC combo issues for a while and when I created this month's DCBS order, they didn't have a Batman combo pack anymore. I guess I'm dropping that book?

With the digital copies, it's made me much more selective when it comes to the collectibility side of comics. I'm okay with donating some of my recent books to places like The Children's Hospital because I've got digital versions that I can read 20 years from now (or so I hope...).
  • Options
    I should also note that they really need to drop the price of digital comics in general if this is going to be a viable option. Especially with Marvel, I don't know why you would sell a digital comic for the same price that you sell a physical comic that comes with a free digital copy.
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    shaneb said:

I should also note that they really need to drop the price of digital comics in general if this is going to be a viable option. Especially with Marvel, I don't know why you would sell a digital comic for the same price that you sell a physical comic that comes with a free digital copy.

That is exactly why Marvel is perfect for me right now, and yet another reason why my DC pull list is essentially dead. I prefer the floppy, and love the added bonus of the digital. I have an easier time stomaching the $3.99 price tag knowing I get a "buy one get one free" type feeling. But that's just me.
  • Options
    I feel like the smartest direction will be with including digital copies with all trades, a direction we should be heading to. It is nice that Marvel includes it with some, but their format is incredibly unreliable and it is still strange that there are expiration dates. With a trade that may sit on the shelf at a store for a long time, this is kind of problematic.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Just a comment here: When Vertigo started, they were in a "deluxe" style format and cost more than mainline DC books because their sales were lower and they needed the higher price point. They sell MUCH worse now and they were the lowest price point? That's just stupid in a business sense.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Anyone notice comics were really cheap yesterday?
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    compsolut said:

I fault DC for not giving digital codes with their floppies. They make it difficult to continue investing in their products.

Marvel gives a code with a purchase - TPBs as well.

Image makes purchasing and taking a risk on an unknown product easier by have a lower price and putting all he adds in the back. I haven't done any book binding b/c of the add placement in most comics.
  • Options
    shaneb said:

I know, right.
    Digital should be much cheaper. Besides the paper and staples and ink, there is no shipping or boxes or trucks or fuel or well you get the point. How much does their ISP and uploading the file cost?
  • Options
    shaneb said:

I feel like the smartest direction will be with including digital copies with all trades, a direction we should be heading to. It is nice that Marvel includes it with some, but their format is incredibly unreliable and it is still strange that there are expiration dates. With a trade that may sit on the shelf at a store for a long time, this is kind of problematic.

I got god butcher and godbomb, both with digital codes (they have disappeared from my account and Marvel asked me for the purchase date ...who remembers?). I put both on eBay. One sold so far. I got the deluxe edition that contains both volumes but no code. Go figure.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

FCBD?
    One of my shops (I am a man about town) limited free books to 1 per person. Then they gave 4 free from their $0.25 bins and 25% off everything in store. I came home with a 10 inch pile of books for like 12 bucks. My wife asked, "I thought you were trying to get rid of books?" Me, "But honey, Lone Wolf and Cub come in 6 inch digest versions now. Look at this artwork in full size"

My wife, smiles and nods while crickets chirp in the background.
  • Options
    popestu said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

FCBD?
    One of my shops (I am a man about town) limited free books to 1 per person. Then they gave 4 free from their $0.25 bins and 25% off everything in store. I came home with a 10 inch pile of books for like 12 bucks. My wife asked, "I thought you were trying to get rid of books?" Me, "But honey, Lone Wolf and Cub come in 6 inch digest versions now. Look at this artwork in full size"

My wife, smiles and nods while crickets chirp in the background.
  • Options
    @shaneb I don't think there is an easy answer to this based on my independent non-scientific research. I propose that comics have kept pace relative to inflation in recent memory (last 25 years). I agree at times it seems like we are paying a lot when the reality is we are generally paying the same as we did.

Lets look at an example.

Example : Since Infinity Gauntlet has been/is a recent topic of discussion lets use that event comic against a current event comic AXIS. In 1991, Infinity Gauntlet was $2.50 (US). If the price of that comic had paced with inflation it would cost $4.33 in 2015 (based on CPI Gov data). AXIS issues were priced at $4.99 in 2015. The difference against inflation is ONLY 14% higher or .66 cents.

Emotional time displacement (ha ha ha) is what is making us think we are paying too much. i.e. We look at a comic from the 90's and think "Wow! Comics were sooooo much cheaper back then." When the problem is we are thinking of $2.50 (or whatever the price was) against 2015 dollars and NOT 90's dollars. I am not going to say that this example works against all time periods because it doesnt. Comic price made a sharp left turn in the 90's but have remained relatively stable since.

The real question is; Do comics have a mental price ceiling? I think they do and we are right at that point. Anything north of $4.50/$5 really makes you question your buying decision.
  • Options

@shaneb I don't think there is an easy answer to this based on my independent non-scientific research. I propose that comics have kept pace relative to inflation in recent memory (last 25 years). I agree at times it seems like we are paying a lot when the reality is we are generally paying the same as we did.

Lets look at an example.

Example : Since Infinity Gauntlet has been/is a recent topic of discussion lets use that event comic against a current event comic AXIS. In 1991, Infinity Gauntlet was $2.50 (US). If the price of that comic had paced with inflation it would cost $4.33 in 2015 (based on CPI Gov data). AXIS issues were priced at $4.99 in 2015. The difference against inflation is ONLY 14% higher or .66 cents.

Emotional time displacement (ha ha ha) is what is making us think we are paying too much. i.e. We look at a comic from the 90's and think "Wow! Comics were sooooo much cheaper back then." When the problem is we are thinking of $2.50 (or whatever the price was) against 2015 dollars and NOT 90's dollars. I am not going to say that this example works against all time periods because it doesnt. Comic price made a sharp left turn in the 90's but have remained relatively stable since.

The real question is; Do comics have a mental price ceiling? I think they do and we are right at that point. Anything north of $4.50/$5 really makes you question your buying decision.

3.99 is my upper limit. I'll pay more for a special issue or item (Multiversity was worth the extra cash). Most of us will. The companies know this. However, making every issue a "special" issue is a waste of my time and insulting. TPBs are better deals overall. Now I buy minimal floppies, collect specific stories from the past in floppies (I'm on a Miller DD and Moore Swampthing kick...I'm 2 or 3 issues shy of Morrison's Animal Man) and prefer hard covers, omnibuses, or absolutes (for those special selections). I am getting rid of many of my floppies ands trades (new baby at home...less space for my comics) and filling in gaps from what I am keeping. I love hunting for deals in the bins and online. I try to work it out that I spend about 2.00 an issue (combined shipping helps).
  • Options
    For years now I've refused to buy a 3.99 32-pager month-to-month. My pull list is now two monthlies (Ms. Marvel and Sinestro) and Secret Wars.

I've decided to give up on new floppies at the end of Secret Wars. I think it's ridiculous. I still might buy the occasional #1 I'm interested in, but I don't need the burden of buying issues every week anymore.

Though of course now podcasts have me buying occasional back issues... I don't see myself collecting whole runs, but I can deal with a story arc here, a one-shot story there. There's a lot of stuff that might never be reliably collected, so I don't mind hitting the bins, which I never did before.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    RepoMan said:

The first ten issues were $3.99. And then DC did their "holding the line" promotion. I can't fault them for raising their prices of fringe titles after 4 years of trying to get their readers to buy the issues at a lower cost. If sales drops, but they still want to make money, something's going to have to give. Marvel has been line wide $3.99 on the majority of their output for years. It's not for me, but I'm also not going to lay the blame at DC's feet for this.

Also the first volume of American Vampire had backups and was longer than a normal comic, so I don't think they are really comparable.