Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Interest fading?

2»

Comments

• Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I'd like to give Valiant another shot. The only thing I read from this current series was the first XO Manowar trade and it put me to sleep. I just don't like the style. Maybe other books are different though.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    You could bundle them all and list them in creative lots of 10. You may be able to move more inventory that way with some creative bundles. And while getting pinged for using media mail to ship used comics is an improbable possibility, most USPS carriers aren't going to bother verifying it in the first place. It is officially legal postage. If it's an ethical issue to you, don't even bother.

Be sure to visit the eBay thread on the forums if you decide to sell that way. I've sold via eBay that way and even traded stuff with other forum members this way.

Good luck @popestu
  • Options
    I think @popestu is the clear front-runner for 2015 CGS Rookie of the Year.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782

You could bundle them all and list them in creative lots of 10. You may be able to move more inventory that way with some creative bundles. And while getting pinged for using media mail to ship used comics is an improbable possibility, most USPS carriers aren't going to bother verifying it in the first place. It is officially legal postage. If it's an ethical issue to you, don't even bother.

Be sure to visit the eBay thread on the forums if you decide to sell that way. I've sold via eBay that way and even traded stuff with other forum members this way.

Good luck @popestu

Nice. And thanks.
  • Options

Is that a real thing?
    Do I get a badge?
    Is it in poor taste to give you an insightful, an awesome, an agree, and a like?
  • Options
    popestu said:

Is that a real thing?
    Do I get a badge?
    Is it in poor taste to give you an insightful, an awesome, an agree, and a like?
    I will give you a thank you, though
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    When my comic interest dips a bit, I try new books or watch movies to rekindle my entertainment fix from somewhere else.

Matthew
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

@popestu There is a great debate about if comics can be shipped by Media mail. I believe the post office says that Media Mail is for literature without ads. Since most comics have ads - they dont qualify. With that said, I see a lot of sellers on eBay ship them that method. I think the risk it the Post Office inspecting your package and getting nailed with the correct shipping fees and penalty.

If it were me, I would go to usps.com and order a bunch of medium or large flat rate boxes (boxes are free). I believe a medium box will hold about 75 bagged and boarded comics. A large will hold something like 100+. Break your collection of 1k into bulk lots of like comics and list with a low starting price. You should be able to sell them off without too much hassle - 10 or 12 listings and done.

Hope that helps.

I was told trades are acceptable for media mail. I normally tell them the package has a collection of trades.

Besides, what really constitutes an "ad"? Don't authors & publishers mention the authors other works on the jacket or within the books themselves? That's advertising.

M
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

@popestu There is a great debate about if comics can be shipped by Media mail. I believe the post office says that Media Mail is for literature without ads. Since most comics have ads - they dont qualify. With that said, I see a lot of sellers on eBay ship them that method. I think the risk it the Post Office inspecting your package and getting nailed with the correct shipping fees and penalty.

If it were me, I would go to usps.com and order a bunch of medium or large flat rate boxes (boxes are free). I believe a medium box will hold about 75 bagged and boarded comics. A large will hold something like 100+. Break your collection of 1k into bulk lots of like comics and list with a low starting price. You should be able to sell them off without too much hassle - 10 or 12 listings and done.

Hope that helps.

I was told trades are acceptable for media mail. I normally tell them the package has a collection of trades.

Besides, what really constitutes an "ad"? Don't authors & publishers mention the authors other works on the jacket or within the books themselves? That's advertising.

M
    “Media Mail Packages may not contain advertising except that books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings.” — the United States Post Office
  • Options
    popestu said:

Is that a real thing?
    Do I get a badge?

I didn't get it last year, so it can't possibly be real. :-)
  • Options
    @popestu that would be a gigantic box. Ha, Ha, Ha! I think I read somewhere that its 12 comics to a pound. So, 1k comics would be like 84 lbs minus any bags and boards. I think you would pull a muscle just carrying that into the post office.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Yeah my interest has faded drastically. Sadly though my desire hasn't.
  • Options
    shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    I actually feel the opposite. I read comics off and on my whole life, but the last two years I jumped back in head first. It really is all the great books on Image, Oni, and Vertigo that keeps me going.
  • Options

@popestu that would be a gigantic box. Ha, Ha, Ha! I think I read somewhere that its 12 comics to a pound. So, 1k comics would be like 84 lbs minus any bags and boards. I think you would pull a muscle just carrying that into the post office.

@BlueBullitt01, USPS picks up.
  • Options
    shaneb said:

I actually feel the opposite. I read comics off and on my whole life, but the last two years I jumped back in head first. It really is all the great books on Image, Oni, and Vertigo that keeps me going.

@shaneb, since the new 52 started Image has been a great source for good stories.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

Hope that helps.

M
    “Media Mail Packages may not contain advertising except that books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings.” — the United States Post Office
    Don't comic books have incidental announcements of other comic books? Sure there might be ads for OJ Simpson boots, but the criteria listed above advises "books may contain incidental announcements of other books". Nothing states ONLY may contain...

M
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Hope that helps.

M
    Don't comic books have incidental announcements of other comic books? Sure there might be ads for OJ Simpson boots, but the criteria listed above advises "books may contain incidental announcements of other books". Nothing states ONLY may contain...

M
    That's what "may not contain except" means. It's clearly stated.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    You'd think it would be a moot point if it were an old stack of Bronze Age books with nothing but ads for Dingo boots and ColecoVision games, but you might be surprised.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    We had one post office in town where the clerk was militant about this rule. So I started using the other post office where the guy didn't ask any questions when I requested media mail. Problem solved.
  • Options
    I've used media mail many times for comic sales on ebay. (Don't tell anyone).
  • Options
    miscatonicmiscatonic Posts: 59
    I am in the same boat and have chosen to not read any Marvel or DC books this year to see if it will increase my enthusiasm for the hobby. I have plenty of non two books to read but still have not managed too well to even keep up with those this year so far. I seem to spend more time remembering the series I read in the 80's and 90's. Not sure what the answer will turn out to be but I would recommend watching previews each month there is a breadth of awesome sounding indy things solicited each month.
  • Options
    ChrisSnellChrisSnell Posts: 34

So I have been a relatively die hard comic collector since I was about 8 years old (1977). Stopped buying sometime in the 90's, as I was starting out on my own and could not really afford the hobby. I remember one of the last comics I purchased being an Image/Valiant crossover that wasn't very good...

Picked through the comic display at a Books A Million in 1995 and found Age of Apocalypse Alpha, and I was immediately hooked again... briefly. I dropped comics altogether again in 1999 when my job took me on the road for almost two years.

A detour into a comic shop in 2004 brought me back into the hobby, stronger than ever before. Infinite Crisis was the culprit this time. Then, shortly afterwards I discovered CGS, DCBS, and comic binding. I felt there was NO WAY I would lose the excitement for the hobby again...

But, I kind of have. The New 52 hasn't grabbed my attention. Convergence doesn't seem to be much of anything. Marvel books that I have picked up have been hit or miss. And with all the line reboots, I find my passion dwindling. Newsarama released solicitations for May, and there were zero books from the big two that I felt I should buy. Never has that happened. I went to the local comic shop yesterday and picked up a few random issues, but it just felt as if I was reading the same old, same old...

I still plan on sticking with trades for Invincible and Walking Dead for the time being. I wonder if there will be something down the road that will bring me back again...

Any other long time fans feeling the same?

I hear you, JK. I've been a long time reader since the early 80's, and lately, I've found my interest fading.

Now that Remender has done what he's done to Steve Rogers, and Snyder and Capullo have done what they've done to Bruce Wayne, I don't really have much of an interest any more.

I can go back and read older stories, sure, but some of them just don't live up to today's standards. Makes me really bummed. :(
  • Options
    Since joining this forum, my interest has grown. I am selling my old collection and reading old stories. My sales are going to filling the holes in the stories i am keeping. I am chatting about ideas and concepts that most of my friends and coworkers could give a shit about. I am getting suggestions and checking out random titles. Overall, I think about and chat about comics more that I have in years.
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    popestu said:

Since joining this forum, my interest has grown. I am selling my old collection and reading old stories. My sales are going to filling the holes in the stories i am keeping. I am chatting about ideas and concepts that most of my friends and coworkers could give a shit about. I am getting suggestions and checking out random titles. Overall, I think about and chat about comics more that I have in years.

One thing I do with my co-workers is enlighten them to where comics are. So many people watch The Walking Dead. "Oh, did you know that started as a comic?" Also people loving Flash, Daredevil, Arrow, etc - "Hey, if you like that, you might like these!" Comics are intimidating in many ways for people who don't read them.

There is the stereotype (Captain Sweatpants from Big Bang anyone?), there is overwhelming amount of titles, and let's face it, many books went through incredibly wordy/heavy writing (some still do). I have one co-worker who I have gotten hooked on Brubaker (Criminal, Velvet, Fatale) and his daughters on Lumberjanes and Oddly Normal. Mostly by recommending the ones for his girls. Another co-worker never misses TWD, so I brought in the first trade for her to read. She loved it! I think the best way to bring people in is to find what they like. I could go on and on about Batman or Iron Man, but no one near me is going to care. They can go watch the movies and become "experts". But give them something they are interested in that they can enjoy, and you will be surprised what happens.

Most importantly, I agree with your statement about being on the forums. Although I don't know anyone personally, having you all to bounce ideas off of is one of the most exciting parts of my day. As has been said many times before, CGS listeners are the best!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    You're a better man (woman?) than I am. I gave up "pushing" comic on others years ago. I often got looks similiar to the ones the religious folk at work get when god is brought up. I got tired of being "that guy"
  • Options
    I discuss them but I no longer offer suggestions or trades for borrowing.