Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Secret Wars #1 of 8 (Spoilers)

2»

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    They aren't getting rid of the Fantastic Four characters. Just the team. Johnny Storm is in Uncanny Inhumans and I think Invisible Woman will be appearing in the S.HI.E.L.D. comic with Phil Coulson. I'm really curious to see what the Marvel U looks like at the end of this event. I'm mostly curious about that.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Yes. The team is gone, not the individuals. Thanks for clarifying my jumbled comments.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    As someone who's way behind on his comics (somewhere around Avengers Vs X-Men and that first year of DC's New 52 my read pile just started getting bigger and bigger), I'm using both publisher's events to dive back in. I was a little lost, but got the basics, and so far it feels like a real event that warrants the hype, unlike a lot of events of the past decade.

It's nice to be able to join in on a forum about current comics again. Somehow I think I'd have a hard time finding one discussing the DC New 52 relaunch of OMAC. Yep, can't wait to see where that title goes. I'm sure it'll have a nice long run. Maybe almost as long as Blackhawks.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Speaking of Secret Wars #1... not the current series, but the original classic... check this out:

bleedingcool.com/2015/05/13/replacing-the-ff-and-x-men-on-secret-wars-image-with-marvel-studio-characters/
  • Options

Speaking of Secret Wars #1... not the current series, but the original classic... check this out:

bleedingcool.com/2015/05/13/replacing-the-ff-and-x-men-on-secret-wars-image-with-marvel-studio-characters/

I saw that yesterday. Seeing as how it's a shirt sold in Walmart, I can see why they would alter not only because of the Fox license issues, but also because some of those characters mean nothing to the non-comics fan of today. The Monica Rambeau version of Captain Marvel? Mohawk Storm? Hell, most of the X-Men would look weird to today's audience.

Now, if I walked into a comic shop and wanted to buy a Secret Wars #1 shirt, and that was all they had, I might be annoyed.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    chrisw said:

I saw that yesterday. Seeing as how it's a shirt sold in Walmart, I can see why they would alter not only because of the Fox license issues, but also because some of those characters mean nothing to the non-comics fan of today. The Monica Rambeau version of Captain Marvel? Mohawk Storm? Hell, most of the X-Men would look weird to today's audience.

Now, if I walked into a comic shop and wanted to buy a Secret Wars #1 shirt, and that was all they had, I might be annoyed.
    Agree, agree.

• Options
    chrisw said:

Seeing as how it's a shirt sold in Walmart, I can see why they would alter not only because of the Fox license issues, but also because some of those characters mean nothing to the non-comics fan of today. The Monica Rambeau version of Captain Marvel? Mohawk Storm? Hell, most of the X-Men would look weird to today's audience.

But inserting the old yellow shirt and tiaraed Power Man instead? How long has it been since he wore that outfit? Probably at least not since Secret Wars...
  • Options

chrisw said:

Seeing as how it's a shirt sold in Walmart, I can see why they would alter not only because of the Fox license issues, but also because some of those characters mean nothing to the non-comics fan of today. The Monica Rambeau version of Captain Marvel? Mohawk Storm? Hell, most of the X-Men would look weird to today's audience.

But inserting the old yellow shirt and tiaraed Power Man instead? How long has it been since he wore that outfit? Probably at least not since Secret Wars...
    That is weird, but the weirdest thing for me is Thor - is that image from the '70s? The '60s?
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    It's not being marketed as a "Secret Wars" shirt though. It's a "Marvel Superheroes" shirt that uses some of the artwork. In that way it's not different than any other generic Marvel Universe marketing material. Everyone on that shirt has appeared or is going to appear in the MCU very soon except She-Hulk (Maybe a Netflix Phase 2 clue?) How many average shoppers who've only seen the movies and shows will even know that was the cover to Secret Wars #1 or what Secret Wars even means? This is a shirt for the fans of the MCU.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Brack said:

David_D said:

Brack said:

I'm assuming the Sentinel and Phoenix Egg junk happened over in Bendis' Uncanny X-Men, but I'm not far enough along in that to know exactly how that happened.

It was supposed to have happened there, but Bendis was moving so slowly that he never got around to writing it.
    Are we sure about that? Given that there are a lot of X-Office books as part of Secret Wars, it felt to me like Bendis wanted that moment to pay off in his own book, but got told to save that moment with the Phoenix Egg to make it a beat in the Secret War issue.
    We don't know for sure, but Brevoort and Hickman talk around the problem here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/this-is-battleworld-hickman-brevoort-discuss-secret-wars-1 Brevoort is being obtuse, Hickman is more pragmatic, both are careful not to throw Bendis under the bus.
    Got it. Thanks!
  • Options
    chrisw said:

That is weird, but the weirdest thing for me is Thor - is that image from the '70s? The '60s?

Yeah -- it's by John Romita Sr and is from the cover of Giant-Size Avengers #1. I recognized it immediately.
  • Options

chrisw said:

Yeah -- it's by John Romita Sr and is from the cover of Giant-Size Avengers #1. I recognized it immediately.
    It just reminded me of something I might have seen on a Slurpee cup back in the late '70s, so it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

chrisw said:

It just reminded me of something I might have seen on a Slurpee cup back in the late '70s, so it stuck out like a sore thumb to me.
    I don't doubt that it was also used there.
  • Options
    It doesn't appear to be from the Slurpee 7-Eleven cup line. I realize there was more than one version, but I didn't see it on any of the one's I'm familiar with.

It is definitely the one from Giant-Size Avengers #1 though

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Poor Luke Cage looks like he's about to become familiar (or just became familiar) with Mjolnir in ways he's never imagined.

Actually, I take that back. He's been to prison, I think, right?
  • Options
    I didn't literally think it was from a Slurpee, just put me in the mind of those things.

I hadn't realized how obscure some of those cups got. Black Bolt? Red Sonja? The Watcher? Today I'd be totally excited to get a Watcher cup, but I pity the poor kid who got stuck with it in 1975.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

I hadn't realized how obscure some of those cups got. Black Bolt? Red Sonja? The Watcher? Today I'd be totally excited to get a Watcher cup, but I pity the poor kid who got stuck with it in 1975.

Haha! I completely agree. Would love the Watcher on a cup. Marvel actually had 60 on a checklist at one time.
    Collectors can pick up 3 cool ones here for cheap.