Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Post-Convergence DC Universe: New #1s, Relaunches, Predictions, and Hopes

There has been some conversations around this already, such as in this thread, where people have asked current, lapsed, and even new DC readers what they are hoping the next phase of the DCU will be like.

But as that is more a conversation about where the negative feelings about DC/ The New 52, I thought we could separate this out to a new conversation.

So, simply put, what are you hoping the new, post-Convergence DCU will be like? Are there any of the announced books or creative teams that have your interest? Do you like what you see in any of the many online previews?

They have this chance to shake things up and make some changes. What do you hope they do with it? If you've been out, what could you see that might get you back in?

A Challenge: Tell us what you want them to do. Not what you don't want.

I think we've got what we don't want them to do, or do more of, covered in our other conversations.

Also, if you are not interested in DC at all these days, if they've lost you, so be it. But you don't need to tell us again here.

So. For those interested... what do you want to see in the Newest DCU?

Comments

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    If they are going to reboot the Universe, I want them to go all the way. Reboot all the characters & titles. Do not leave bits of continuity & character history floating around from previous universes.

Limit the crossovers within familes of books as much as possible for a couple of years. Let the creative teams develop each book before having a Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, etc book event.

I am not saying go back to Silver Age wackiness, but lighten the tone of the universe a little. Let the characters enjoy being heroes every once in a while.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Everything happened.

Crisis Creativity on Infinite Earths
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    I would like full pages of artwork .

Also, an anthology type book where rotating teams can tell stories with characters they want. Let's use the new (old) multiverse. I want a good Wally West story; a Blue and Gold sitcom; or a kickass, hairy-chested-Neil-Adams-Denny-O'neil Batman story. How about an Alan Mooresque Superman? JSA /JLA Crisis on 2 Earths would be sweet.
  • Options

If they are going to reboot the Universe, I want them to go all the way. Reboot all the characters & titles. Do not leave bits of continuity & character history floating around from previous universes.

Limit the crossovers within familes of books as much as possible for a couple of years. Let the creative teams develop each book before having a Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, etc book event.

I am not saying go back to Silver Age wackiness, but lighten the tone of the universe a little. Let the characters enjoy being heroes every once in a while.

Remember when the 90s were ending and grim n gritty began to make way for heroic stories? Morrison and Johns and Ross and Waid et al. wrote stories about characters to look up to and things felt shiny. I liked that. This was before Infinite Crisis or Identity Crisis, before the dark times...
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    At this point, since I consider the New52 to be a failed experiment, I want a return to the pre-Flashpoint DCU. Then, if they want to update material to the present era, they can make an effort to retool again... and maybe this time they won't be so quick as to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    W/ COIE & every other "Crisis" undone in 8 weeks is something I don't understand but the new DCU is its OWN creation. The one thing I would want is reset the Superman status quo within 12 issues and progress towards telling quality Superman stories. Could it mean I exit stage left as a long time reader after 3 decades? Yes. I would still read comics just not a lot of DC ones. Well that is my four bucks on the topic.

Matthew
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'm in "Fool Me Twice" mode, waiting for the trades of Prez and Bizarro.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

What looks good about those?
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

What looks good about those?
    Both look like they are very fresh projects.

I like the art I've seen. Bizarro's posture and expression immediately make me like him, and the Prez stuff gives me Angel & the Ape flashbacks.

Oh yeah... and fun. Can't forget fun.

And bright colors!
  • Options
    I find Bizarro's mopey look particularly amusing considering how mopey non-Bizarro Superman has been being portrayed the last few years.

(How sad is it that my favorite recent Superman portrayal of late is the slightly dickish, yet still basically decent version in the HISHE cartoons.)
  • Options
    I also expect to get the Palmiotti/Conner Starfire series in trade, along with their Harley Quinn stuff. It's pretty much guaranteed to be good stuff.

The other "Fun" series, Bat-Mite, holds no initial appeal for me, as the character has always been too "hey look at me trying really hard to be funny" for me. Plus I'm pretty much sick of all things batty at this point.

None of the "serious" titles caught me with their initial pitch, but I am always happy to be wrong, and catch up later with series that turn out to be excellent.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    Torchsong said:

Everything happened.

Crisis Creativity on Infinite Earths

THIS.

Let me elaborate on it and if this isn't what you meant @Torchsong, feel free to distinguish your point from my own. Also, forgive me as I'm about to get negative on a thread that's mostly of a positive bent. I'm doing it to elaborate on WHY I feel Torchsongs point is EVERYTHING I want from DC right now.

I'm getting sick of DC. I really and truly am. Denny O'Neil once told me the mark of a great editor is one whose presence you don't notice, who does very little to interfere with the creativity and direction of the team on a title.

I tend to agree with Denny.

DC post New 52 doesn't follow that blueprint. The creative teams are directed WAY too much for my personal liking. If the multiverse is back, this means infinite earths, which means infinite possibilities, which means you don't need editors or whomever crow-baring everything into how THEY want it to go.

I want to see FUN and CREATIVITY injected back into the DC universe. If getting that means we have to make a whole separate line of DC "DC Old U" or "DC FUN" then so be it. If we can just set it in the main lineup and let it be, that's cool too.

But DC Entertainment seems to be acting counter intuitively lately. For example, that mess with DC not allowing Arrow to use Harley Quinn because they had other plans for the character for their movie universe. If you're going to defiantly and definitively announce that your TV universe and your movie universe aren't connected, then stick by it. You can't pick and choose, "Oh Harley is being used, so no. But you can keep doing the Flash TV show because that's making money."

Same with the comics. If you're going to re-introduce infinite possibilities, then don't go out of your way to stifle new, interesting and fun ideas anymore.

And the titles aren't OUT just yet so maybe we WILL get it with titles like Black Canary, Dr. Fate, Batmite, Bizarro, Starfire and more. For all I know things like this are just the beginning of a great new and freeing direction at DC. But as things stand NOW, I've been burned too many times by them lately to trust that it is. But I remain cautiously hopeful.

*All of this is obviously my own personal opinion. If you think the New 52 isn't restricted creatively, then awesome. Glad you're enjoying the comics. I personally don't find this to be the case.
  • Options

But DC Entertainment seems to be acting counter intuitively lately. For example, that mess with DC not allowing Arrow to use Harley Quinn because they had other plans for the character for their movie universe. If you're going to defiantly and definitively announce that your TV universe and your movie universe aren't connected, then stick by it. You can't pick and choose, "Oh Harley is being used, so no. But you can keep doing the Flash TV show because that's making money."

I think this was more a case of "what you want to do on the show is too close to what we want to do in a film". Not so much "other plans for the character" as "the same plans for the character".

I really expect the "Suicide Squad" film to be a "Harley Quinn and a bunch of other folks" film. She's a great character, itching to be exploited in a big way, and the Arrow appearance could have diluted the effectiveness of her big screen debut.

Overall, the TV properties have been given a huge amount of freedom to dig through the character pool. In this one case, they had an understandable conflict.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

"Harley Quinn and a bunch of other folks"

The big group shot image makes me think (hope) it'll even be "Harley Quinn Giving a Bunch of Oh-So-Serious Characters Tremendous Loads of Crap for Being So Goddamn Serious All the Time" movie.
  • Options
    I wanna see Kenneth Rocafort on a LoSH book. His artistic style lends it towards futuristic and since Saturn Girl's costume was a bikini at one time, he will fit right in..

And bring back the Subs.. For the fun.. And super - karate..
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

I got to do a panel this past weekend at Phoenix Comicon with the writer of the Bizarro book. Great guy.

Our job? Defending DC in the DC vs. Marvel panel...and we nailed it! :)
  • Options

I wanna see Kenneth Rocafort on a LoSH book. His artistic style lends it towards futuristic and since Saturn Girl's costume was a bikini at one time, he will fit right in..

If'n you ask me...

He's too much of a "one face fits all" artist for the Legion.

And too Michael Turner-y.

• Options
    WetRats said:

If'n you ask me...

The Legion would stretch him a bit.. As it does all artists, that group is a challenge but one that is not insurmountable.

And at least the art would be pretty
    to look at
  • Options

WetRats said:

If'n you ask me...

The Legion would stretch him a bit.. As it does all artists, that group is a challenge but one that is not insurmountable.

to look at
    To you, not me.

I can't see past the white spot on the tip of everybody's noses.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I find Bizarro's mopey look particularly amusing considering how mopey non-Bizarro Superman has been being portrayed the last few years.

(How sad is it that my favorite recent Superman portrayal of late is the slightly dickish, yet still basically decent version in the HISHE cartoons.)

Just looked at the preview pages for Bizarro on Newsarama. He's not mopey at all. It was just the first character drawing I saw that gave that impression. He's a big happy goof.

I may not trade-wait after all.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    ....i'm honestly not sure anymore.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    i want the fcking JSA to come back...

Geoff John's JSA was the best DC comics I ever read...

Probably does not mean much coming from a mostly Marvel reader... but i LOVED JSA...

and i'm not sure JSA works without all the continuity, history, quirkiness of the pre-New52 DC
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I liked what Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chang did with Wonder Woman. It was "fresh" take of the Olympians and their relationship with Wonder Woman. When DC talked about the New 52 I thought more books would be like this. I thought Marvel had the right idea when they did their "relaunch" a few years ago. You do not have to reset the Universe and its history. You just need to create a starting point and let creators have a chance to breath to make a story.

I do not think that means throwing out continuity or not having crossovers. I find that if a crossover is approached correctly you can learn a lot about a character you are following. Marvel gave their creators a year to craft their takes on a book, but then they eventually had a big crossover.
  • Options
    @bamfbamf , I think you being a Marvel guy speaks volumes about the awesomeness that was the JSA. I have been both a Marvel and DC guy through the years. Johns and Ross' run was one of my most fanboy moments.

• Options
    I would like post-convergence to be Image Comics with DC characters. Allowing creators to go wild with ideas will yield top stories.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

If'n you ask me...

to look at
    To you, not me.

I can't see past the white spot on the tip of everybody's noses.
    Nor I the weird hair "swirls" in Stuart Immomen's All New X-Men run. What is that supposed to be?!

No worries, this is what I want to see. Rocafort doing a futuristic LoSH because we always need to see more Legion. And I think it would be interesting take on a concept that is largely dominated by what the 60s and 70s thought would be the future
  • Options
    I just saw the cover of Bat-Mite.

Are the Inferior 5 in the book, or just on the cover.

I may have to buy the damned thing after all!
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Tried out batmite and didn't care for it and won't continue. Got batman beyond and liked it well enough to continue it but I already much prefer the previous series take. Anybody else reading it and able to update me on whats going on? Or rather what happened to get it where it's at?
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    @batlaw I haven't read the new Batman Beyond series but it comes out of Futures End which I did read. I don't want to say here as to not spoil it. Is there a spoiler thread somewhere?
  • Options
    malkiimalkii Posts: 2
    I got Batmite and Starfire wasn't crazy about either, but I think both of these are really being geared toward a younger audience.

Batman - I am so confused with this character right now. Bruce is still in the JLA - Darseid War Story - but someone else is filling his shoes in his main title books. (won't say who in case someone doesn't know).

Superman - in his new story line - I'm confused again. It seems like he and Lex haven't been working together in the JLA.

But it just seems like continuity is out the window in the New DC Universe.

One thing I do want in a comic universe is some sort of continuity. I want it to tie together for the most part.

If it was alternate realities then I could understand that. But these titles are all supposed to be, at lease as far as I know, in the main DC Universe.

Can anyone shed some light on what I am missing here.