Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Post-Convergence DC Universe: New #1s, Relaunches, Predictions, and Hopes

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    malkii said:

I got Batmite and Starfire wasn't crazy about either, but I think both of these are really being geared toward a younger audience.

Batman - I am so confused with this character right now. Bruce is still in the JLA - Darseid War Story - but someone else is filling his shoes in his main title books. (won't say who in case someone doesn't know).

Superman - in his new story line - I'm confused again. It seems like he and Lex haven't been working together in the JLA.

But it just seems like continuity is out the window in the New DC Universe.

One thing I do want in a comic universe is some sort of continuity. I want it to tie together for the most part.

If it was alternate realities then I could understand that. But these titles are all supposed to be, at lease as far as I know, in the main DC Universe.

Can anyone shed some light on what I am missing here.

Maybe Dan DiDio?

Maybe...

Seriously, though, the era of super-tight universe-spanning continuity is over at DC for now.

All-Father only knows how long that will last.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I appreciate me some science in my fiction, and I like me some continuity in my comics.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    I like continuity but have no problem with stories that don't follow it. As I've mentioned before in the forums, I see comics are modern day myths. Myths were an oral tradition that would grow and change (even contradict themselves) as the stories, peoples, and cultures changed. Their validity and value do not diminish because of this. I like to think of the stories as a growing and changing entity.
    The invention of writing (words "that stay") should enhance this, not confine it.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    As far as current DC's continuity between current books, I have several questions as to what's going on and as to when everything is taking place. There are several conflicting events that each book is depicting. Take for instance Batman and Detective Comics feature Robo-bunny while Justice League has Bruce, Robin: Son of Batman and Gotham Academy both have Damian Wayne, Teen Titans and Batman Beyond both have Tim Drake, etc.

Your mileage may vary, but I happen to like consistent continuity. Of course these tales could all be happening in the same universe and on the same timeline at different points in time, and if so, it doesn’t really matter when these stories take place, since they appear to be self-contained and don’t rely on the other books to tell their adventures. And as long as you don’t need to know the events of another title to follow the story of a particular book, then it's possible to enjoy what DC is giving you and still appreciate tight continuity - especially if you're only reading that one title.

Hmmm... maybe the bright-side for me is that this will possibly mean far fewer tie-ins during the next DC Event...?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I wanna see Kenneth Rocafort on a LoSH book. His artistic style lends it towards futuristic and since Saturn Girl's costume was a bikini at one time, he will fit right in..

If'n you ask me...

He's too much of a "one face fits all" artist for the Legion.

And too Michael Turner-y.

Being compared to Michael Turner is a compliment. My favorite artist of all-time. I will agree his faces tend to be a bit generic though.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

I'm in "Fool Me Twice" mode, waiting for the trades of Prez and Bizarro.

I got to do a panel this past weekend at Phoenix Comicon with the writer of the Bizarro book. Great guy.

Our job? Defending DC in the DC vs. Marvel panel...and we nailed it! :)
    I missed that panel. I do live in Phoenix now though. Do you live here too Torchsong?
  • Options
    malkii said:

I got Batmite and Starfire wasn't crazy about either, but I think both of these are really being geared toward a younger audience.

Batman - I am so confused with this character right now. Bruce is still in the JLA - Darseid War Story - but someone else is filling his shoes in his main title books. (won't say who in case someone doesn't know).

Superman - in his new story line - I'm confused again. It seems like he and Lex haven't been working together in the JLA.

But it just seems like continuity is out the window in the New DC Universe.

One thing I do want in a comic universe is some sort of continuity. I want it to tie together for the most part.

If it was alternate realities then I could understand that. But these titles are all supposed to be, at lease as far as I know, in the main DC Universe.

Can anyone shed some light on what I am missing here.

What you are missing is Dan Didio, Jim Lee and the powers that be at DC came right out and said continuity is secondary to the stories. They want great stories first and foremost. They want to silence the critics that say there is too much editorial interference. They want to let the creators have the freedom to tell stories they want to tell. If that means someone else is in the batsuit in the Bat-books, but Bruce continues to wear it in the team books so be it. It just means one happened before or after the other storyline.

It is hard to have it both ways. DC seems to constantly get bashed no matter what they do. Tight continuity requires a heavier hand from editorial and they got bashed for it. Now they have told their creators skies the limit don't worry so much about how it fits in with the same character elsewhere. So now they are called out for bad continuity. Nothing is perfect and I prefer DC these days over the seemingly constant relaunches from Marvel. I am so sick of their relentless amount of #1's and we have 50-60 more coming later this year. They seem to have captured the good-will of pop culture with their movies currently, so terrible editorial decisions get overlooked? Screw that! Every time they have a book that is genuinely good and not tied in with the MCU and a hundred Avengers/Iron Man books they cancel/change/reboot it. The latest series of the Hulk by Duggan and Bagley is a prime example of this. One of the only good books they were putting out, they cancel it because of Secret Wars with the story unfinished and we have a new Hulk coming. Thanks Marvel!

I have been collecting comics for 35 years. I love superheroes and continuity as much as the next guy, maybe more. Yet I am willing to overlook some things if it means great stories. If you want tight continuity in a shared superhero universe read Valiant, their stuff is high-quality, good stories and it all ties in closely with one another. The longer a superhero universe lasts the harder it is to keep things in order and have it all make sense. Its just the nature of comics and telling years and years worth of stories and having different creators and ideas for those characters.

For me personally, I just want good stories that hold to the spirit of the characters of the DC universe. Starting with Identity Crisis I think we all can agree the entire DC universe took a darker turn. The problem was that their was enough critical and fan acclaim for both that story and Infinite Crisis that DC seemed to have decided to have the whole line reflect this darker tone. The popularity of Nolan's Batman Trilogy seemed to only reinforce this decision. I feel like with this new re-branding of the DC line that they have put that ideology behind them and are taking a much different approach. Not diversity for its own sake, but because it is the healthiest way to go forward. It is better for the long-term future of the DC to have different books with different tones to attract different types of readers. I hope this is what we will continue to see from DC.
  • Options
    JaceTheComicSourceJaceTheComicSource Posts: 140
    edited June 2015

As far as current DC's continuity between current books, I have several questions as to what's going on and as to when everything is taking place. There are several conflicting events that each book is depicting. Take for instance Batman and Detective Comics feature Robo-bunny while Justice League has Bruce, Robin: Son of Batman and Gotham Academy both have Damian Wayne, Teen Titans and Batman Beyond both have Tim Drake, etc.

Your mileage may vary, but I happen to like consistent continuity. Of course these tales could all be happening in the same universe and on the same timeline at different points in time, and if so, it doesn’t really matter when these stories take place, since they appear to be self-contained and don’t rely on the other books to tell their adventures. And as long as you don’t need to know the events of another title to follow the story of a particular book, then it's possible to enjoy what DC is giving you and still appreciate tight continuity - especially if you're only reading that one title.

Hmmm... maybe the bright-side for me is that this will possibly mean far fewer tie-ins during the next DC Event...?

This exactly what Didio and Lee have said in regards to the new direction of the DC universe. Let me see if I can find the article ...

here is the official press release from way back on February 5th, take note of the last few lines as it pertains to continuity.

dccomics.com
    /blog/2015/02/06/dc-entertainment-announces-new-books-new-creators-broader-focus-for-the-dc-universe

and here is a link to an article discussing the new direction

newsarama.com/23456-dc-reveals-major-changes-new-direction-for-comic-book-line.html

There are a lot more articles about this idea of storytelling trumping continuity that came out right after this announcement. Lots of people worrying there would be NO continuity and such. As I said in an earlier post I think it is more DC just want to create good stories and give their creators the freedom to do that. They have seen the popularity and success of titles like Harley Quinn and Batgirl and are attempting to replicate that success on a line-wide basis.
  • Options

I would appreciate not needing other titles to follow one I am reading.

I would love events that do not require tie ins. I remember when "events" we called "miniseries". I like a good mini (or maxi) series.

You make a valid point regarding characters. FCBD shows Jim Gordan as (Mecha) Batman. Yet Bruce is with the JLA dealing with Amazonian New Gods. This doesn't bother me but it is an odd waybto do things. Maybe they are channeling Bob Haney?

http://comicsalliance.com/bob-haney-comics/
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I think maybe instead of continuity what we really want is some form of consistency. I know I prefer a much stronger continuity among all titles -- I've never been able to believe that a story without it can still be a good story -- but it doesn't have to be heavy handed either. Usually, if a story can go without specifically contradicting anything that had gone before, that was generally enough. But the different corners of a comic book universe should share a degree of consistency and not just do things willy-nilly -- if, for instance, the GL Corps' power rings and batteries operate on some unknown scientific process, it should not suddenly be used in some story elsewhere as being magic. If Hawkman is shown operating as an active member of the JLA, then he should not suddenly and without explanation be introduced in a new series that completely and totally contradicts all of those previous appearances.

Seems simple to me.
  • Options

I think maybe instead of continuity what we really want is some form of consistency. I know I prefer a much stronger continuity among all titles -- I've never been able to believe that a story without it can still be a good story -- but it doesn't have to be heavy handed either. Usually, if a story can go without specifically contradicting anything that had gone before, that was generally enough. But the different corners of a comic book universe should share a degree of consistency and not just do things willy-nilly -- if, for instance, the GL Corps' power rings and batteries operate on some unknown scientific process, it should not suddenly be used in some story elsewhere as being magic. If Hawkman is shown operating as an active member of the JLA, then he should not suddenly and without explanation be introduced in a new series that completely and totally contradicts all of those previous appearances.

Seems simple to me.

"Hawkman" and "simple" in the same comment...are you mad!?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I'm crazy but I think you can have a satisfying degree continuity AND fresh "good" stories.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    After years of Wolverine appearing across multiple titles, without much explanation of all his differences, if we as readers haven't deciphered how to separate stories, that's probably not the publishers' fault. haha.
  • Options
    haha indeed. That wouldn't affect me as a post 2006 Wolverine appearance was always an indicator that I wouldn't be picking up that title. Aren't there like 4 or 5 Wolverines now?
  • Options
    Eventually, things will swing back to continuity emphasized stories. Then, someone will come along and pull an Avengers Forever and attempt to make sense of it all.

It they do it right, I'd read it.
  • Options

haha indeed. That wouldn't affect me as a post 2006 Wolverine appearance was always an indicator that I wouldn't be picking up that title. Aren't there like 4 or 5 Wolverines now?

If Deadpool can have his own corp why not Wolverine?
  • Options
    It could be like Blackest Night. There would be the Spidey Corp, the Deadpool Corp, the Wolvie Corp, the Hulk Corp, and the Nova Corp.

Think of all the crossovers in this event...

Quick, someone comeup with a snappy title!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

I'm in "Fool Me Twice" mode, waiting for the trades of Prez and Bizarro.

I got to do a panel this past weekend at Phoenix Comicon with the writer of the Bizarro book. Great guy.

Our job? Defending DC in the DC vs. Marvel panel...and we nailed it! :)
    I missed that panel. I do live in Phoenix now though. Do you live here too Torchsong?
    I do, indeed. I'm a regular at the Phoenix and Amazing Arizona Comicons, and you'll find me at various comic stores around town doing the occasional instore to promote my stuff.

Thugs - a comic I co-create with local artist Steve Reid (aka FlintLockjaw on here) - superhero parody about two henchmen who get lucky and actually kill a superhero.

Barbrabarian- a weekly webcomic about an eight year-old girl whose soul has been taken over by a Viking.

and finally

The Red Skirts You know about the Red Shirts in Trek? Well, welcome to the all-female squad - the Red Skirts! Written by me, drawn by DC artist Dave Beaty!
  • Options
    popestu said:

It could be like Blackest Night. There would be the Spidey Corp, the Deadpool Corp, the Wolvie Corp, the Hulk Corp, and the Nova Corp.

Corps!

Corps!

Corps!

Corps!

Corps!
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    popestu said:

If the story is centered in NYC, then they could title it, "The Big Apple Corps".
  • Options

popestu said:

If the story is centered in NYC, then they could title it, "The Big Apple Corps".
    HA!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    popestu said:

Rotten to the Corps.
  • Options

popestu said:

Rotten to the Corps.
    Would the readers be the Corps Audience?

The inevitable parody: Politically In-Corps-Eccht!

Speaking of politics, lots of free publicity if it were called "Common Corps".

I'm in-corps-igable.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2015
    Midnighter #1 and #2

I have always liked the character, and his previous solo volume. So even though I was not familiar with the creators (Orlando and ACO), I figured I would give it a try. It also helps that the price point is only $3. I tend to have to talk myself into a lot of $4 (or more) books these days, but at $3 or even $3.50 I am more apt to just give it a try.

I'm glad I did. I feel like this book knows what it is, and gets right to it. I liked that. I liked that these first two issues give glimpses of Midnighter's origins, and some of the characters he is connected with, but doesn't slow down for exposition. Nor does it spend time or playing the 'what is or isn't the same' game that I think too many of the New 52 #1s did. Also, as this is a solo book and not an Authority book, I am glad that the focus is solidly on him, just this character. And not on where he fits in with the rest of the DCU. Sure, there is time for that, but I think that can grow. We will find out what the rest of the DCU thinks of him as he meets them. I don't need to be sold too much premise at the top.

There is also a good, organic way for revealing information to the readers-- in these issues, there is a new person who has come into Midnighter's life, and so we are finding out about him as he does.

I hadn't known ACO's work, but I think his style is a good fit here. Kinetic, gritty. And he really captures Midnighter's very dangerous looking smile. I preordered #3.
  • Options
    Metamorpho, Metal Men and Sugar & Spike are all getting new series.

Break out the go-go checks.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Those and more new mini-series announced here.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Those and more new mini-series announced here.

Well you beat me to going back and inserting the link.
  • Options
    I don't know how many of these I will get, but I really do applaud this new publishing model.

California seems to be as good for DC as it was for Don Draper.
  • Options
    I do like the idea of, instead of always looking to the new generation to modernize the old characters, you can also go to the still-working prior stewards (and in some cases, creators) of these characters with that same brief.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Len Wein back on Swamp Thing!!! IN IN IN!

And on a new Metal Men series!

My poor wallet!