Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles

2»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    hauberk said:

Hmmm.. you think Harvey Comics would have any luck rebooting their old line today with titles such as Casper the Poltergeist or Hot Stuff: The Possession? The possibilities are endless.

You've successfully sold me on an entire new line.
    LOL. I'd hold out for the Harvey omnibus :)
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782

That's just my response after reading the interview. Either way, his response is what we refer to as a "company" guy.

When I refer to someone as a “company guy,” it's to suggest that that person’s actions and statements are not their own, but are only done or said in service to the company they represent. Everything Bruce said in that interview rings true with the conversations I've had with him on and off the record. I think Bruce is being open and honest in the interview, not simply towing the company line. So in that respect, I don't see him as a company guy—be it DC or Warner Bros. Animation. He's just speaking his mind.

That being said, if you want to work for a company like Warner Animation at the level Bruce does, then yeah, you need to be a "company man" to a large degree. When Warner told him to create a cartoon about a young Batman set in the future, he gave them Batman Beyond. It wasn't exactly the show they were expecting, or what fans were expecting for that matter, but it met Warner's requirements. He's going to give Warner Bros. what they want, but crafted as much to his own tastes as he can get away with.

Left to his own devices, Bruce is much more naturally inclined towards noir than towards lighter fare. It's part of why he backed out of Freakazoid years ago. So this new story he's doing doesn't surprise me at all. I can't say I agree with all of his creative decisions, but I know he'll turn out a well crafted show, even if it's one I might not particularly care for.
    Man, I used to love Freakazoid.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'll be honest, I'm not that enthused about this project.

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    edited June 2015

Everything Bruce said in that interview rings true with the conversations I've had with him on and off the record. I think Bruce is being open and honest in the interview, not simply towing the company line. So in that respect, I don't see him as a company guy—be it DC or Warner Bros. Animation. He's just speaking his mind.
    Left to his own devices, Bruce is much more naturally inclined towards noir than towards lighter fare. It's part of why he backed out of Freakazoid years ago. So this new story he's doing doesn't surprise me at all. I can't say I agree with all of his creative decisions, but I know he'll turn out a well crafted show, even if it's one I might not particularly care for.

Love this input from someone with informed knowledge of the man! I just read another interview where Timm talks more about the story, the way the shorts and the movie and the comics all connect which is a good use of many different platforms and more.

"To be blunt, I felt like we had to 'go big or go home' in order to grab people's attention in this media-over-saturated world," he told CNET's Crave blog. "So we deliberately went a little over-the-top with the three shorts, the Batman one especially. That said, it's frankly a bit of a bait-and-switch; the violence and gore in the upcoming movie isn't nearly as excessive, though still decidedly pushing the envelope of the PG-13 rating..."

http://www.cnet.com/news/justice-league-gods-and-monsters-spoiler-free-review/
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    These things do not bother me. If this was going on in the comics I'd have a stronger opinion. Because it is video, I dont consider it "real" or "canon" or "in continuity". Maybe this is because tv shows and movies never met my expectations growing up; maybe it is because the comic are the comics and anything else isn't. I'm not sure.

The Timverse is a favorite of mine. I love Batman and JLA. However, these shows are not as "real" to be as comics (they are pretty close, though).
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Watched it last night. Had low expectations and little interest, but bruce timms involvement gave me some optimism. But damn this show was goooood!
    My only complaint really is that the shorts aren't included somehow!
  • Options
    This movie was so damn good. Way better than it almost has a right to be!

Michael C Hall is a great alternate Batman!
  • Options

I'll be honest, I'm not that enthused about this project.

Old Doom, You were a fool! A FOOL!
  • Options
    Ironically I just watched this again last night. Still really awesome in my opinion. The wife was thoroughly sucked in and dug it too.

I know. Isn't it peculiar how the performance is so dry and monotone yet somehow also emotional and engaging? Don't know who the actor is but hes gotta be gifted. Anyone else I imagine proby would've been just dull and unlikeable.

• Options
    batlaw said:

Ironically I just watched this again last night. Still really awesome in my opinion. The wife was thoroughly sucked in and dug it too.

I know. Isn't it peculiar how the performance is so dry and monotone yet somehow also emotional and engaging? Don't know who the actor is but hes gotta be gifted. Anyone else I imagine proby would've been just dull and unlikeable.

Michael C. Hall played Dexter Morgan, a serial killer of serial killers, on Dexter. He was also David Fisher on Six Feet Under. He's so talented.

• Options
    I'd also like to say that I enjoyed how the heroes genuinely got along.

They could have gone the easy route by having them always be on edge around each other, and I'm glad that never happened.
  • Options

batlaw said:

Michael C. Hall played Dexter Morgan, a serial killer of serial killers, on Dexter. He was also David Fisher on Six Feet Under. He's so talented.

That's him? Never would've guessed. Never watched those shows myself. Cool.
  • Options

I'd also like to say that I enjoyed how the heroes genuinely got along.

They could have gone the easy route by having them always be on edge around each other, and I'm glad that never happened.

Agreed. They were ambiguous and real. Not simply the standard evil twins or dark versions of their namesakes.