Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    June 1941: It's about time for a C.C. Beck cover (inks by Pete Costanza), and this one fits the bill nicely.

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    June 1975 House of Secrets #132 Ernie Chan

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Caliban said:

June 1975 House of Secrets #132 Ernie Chan

Love it
  • Options
    Star Spangled Comics #122
    November 1951
    Cover by Leonard Starr

Just heard that Leonard Starr may have passed away today. I have not confirmed this yet, but I wanted to post this.

Mr. Starr is/was a comic artist, cartoonist and writer who began drawing and writing for comics during the Golden Age of comics. He worked for a number of different publishers, the most notable being his work on Annie, EC, DC, and many Marvel Comics' titles, such as The Sub Mariner and The Human Torch.

He worked as an advertising artist for a short time before creating one of his most famous comic strip, On Stage (which was later renamed, Mary Perkins, On Stage) for the Chicago-Tribune-New York News Syndicate. For this strip he received the National Cartoonists Society's Story Comic Strip Award in 1960 and 1963, and the Reuben Award in 1965.

He eventually helped develop the Thundercats television series.
  • Options
    Where did you hear this, @bralinator?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    I just got confirmation that Leonard Starr had indeed passed away. Great artist. There are collections of his On Stage strips which I highly recommend. Walt Simonson is a big fan and even wrote an introduction for it.
  • Options
    Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114
    50 years ago today saw the arrival of Metamorpho issue #1, possibly the first superhero comic to be drawn throughout by a woman (Ramona Fradon). I have a copy somewhere! I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.
    imageimageMetamorpho 1 photo Metamorpho1FRMissingBackCvr_zpsbpq3qdm7.jpg" />
  • Options

50 years ago today saw the arrival of Metamorpho issue #1, possibly the first superhero comic to be drawn throughout by a woman (Ramona Fradon). I have a copy somewhere! I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Depends on how you're defining things. If you count reprint material, then Tarpe Mills was the first with Miss Fury #1 (Winter 1942-43), which reprinted the newspaper strip she wrote, penciled, and inked.

If you don't count reprint material, then it could be Lily Renée, who penciled and inked both stories in Abbot & Costello Comics #3 (July 1948) together with her husband, Eric Peters. He penciled the figures of Abbot and Costello, she penciled the rest and inked it all. They did several issues working that way.

Otherwise, yeah, it was probably Ramona Fradon, but keep in mind that before the ’60s, hardly any comics outside of something like Classics Illustrated were drawn entirely by one person. Comics were longer and contained multiple features by different creative teams for the most part. Also, Fradon’s first full issue would have been Brave and the Bold #57 (Dec. 1964-Jan. 1965), featuring the origin of Metamorpho, which appeared six months before Metamorpho #1.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    In memory of Leonard Starr, here’s his cover to Tales of the Unexpected #2, on which he was able to prominently display his last name. He also penciled and inked the six-page story the cover is based on.

Leonard Starr Fun Fact: When Starr moved from New York to Westport, Connecticut, his next-door neighbor was none other than Paul Newman.

• Options
    Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114
    Thanks @nweathington - I'm grateful. I thought the chances were my statement might be incorrect, and I was relying on you to point out any inaccuracies!
    Incidentally did you know that Ramona Fradon is, happily, still with us, even though she recently celebrated her 88th birthday!
  • Options

Where did you hear this, @bralinator?

From Mark Evanier's blog here: http://www.newsfromme.com/2015/06/30/leonard-starr-r-i-p/

Weird. I went to Mark's site after reading your first post and didn't see anything about Starr. Nor did I see any mention anywhere else for another hour or two, which is why I asked.

Thanks @nweathington - I'm grateful. I thought the chances were my statement might be incorrect, and I was relying on you to point out any inaccuracies!
    Incidentally did you know that Ramona Fradon is, happily, still with us, even though she recently celebrated her 88th birthday!

Yep, and she still does a few shows. She doesn't like to sketch at shows, but she brings lots of pre-drawn sketches. I have a nice pencil drawing of Metamorpho fending off Java while hugging Sapphire.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @nweathington - it was someone I'm connected to on one of my other social sites that said "I just heard Leonard Starr passed away." They could offer no link to the story, so I took some time to look around the web to try to confirm it myself, but could not. They seemed certain, so I went ahead and posted the Star Spangled Comics cover with commentary.

When you responded to ask about it, I looked again and that was when I found it had been posted on Mark Evanier's blog. Mark's blog was not my initial source. It appears we may have been some of the few people that learned about this loss before the mainstream press.

Even the official Leonard Starr website hasn't posted anything, yet. Howard Chaykin posted this.
  • Options

@nweathington - it was someone I'm connected to on one of my other social sites that said "I just heard Leonard Starr passed away." They could offer no link to the story, so I took some time to look around the web to try to confirm it myself, but could not. They seemed certain, so I went ahead and posted the Star Spangled Comics cover with commentary.

When you responded to ask about it, I looked again and that was when I found it had been posted on Mark Evanier's blog. Mark's blog was not my initial source. It appears we may have been some of the few people that learned about this loss before the mainstream press.

Even the official Leonard Starr website hasn't posted anything, yet. Howard Chaykin posted this.

I confirmed it through my good friend Jim Amash, who found out through his friend and comic book/newspaper strip artist Tom Sawyer, who was once Starr’s studiomate and assistant.
  • Options
    Rest in Peace Leonard Starr

House of Mystery #13 (1953)
    Cover art: Leonard Starr
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I confirmed it through my good friend Jim Amash, who found out through his friend and comic book/newspaper strip artist Tom Sawyer, who was once Starr’s studiomate and assistant.
    And one hell of a fence-painting contractor.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

And one hell of a fence-painting contractor.
    Sawyer's last name was originally Scheuer, but because it sounded like Sawyer, he still got hit with all the jokes. When he started working in television as a writer, he went ahead and changed his name to Sawyer. Among his many credits, he was head writer/show producer for Murder, She Wrote for several years. And he was every bit as good an artist as Leonard Starr, too.

Here's one of Sawyer's covers:

• Options
    40 years ago July 1975 Earl Norem on Dracula Lives

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Heh. The Dracula Lives! cover reminded me of this one...

...another of the Marvel B&W magazines of the era. This particular issue (cover by Esteban Maroto) has my one-and-only printed LOC sent in to any publisher. I sent in a comment on a previous issue and hand-printed it to be absolutely sure of legibility (I have terrible cursive writing) and mailed it off -- and, to my delight, it was printed on the letters page!

...unfortunately, for all the care I took in the main body of the letter, I forgot myself and signed my name, which was apparently an incomprehensive scrawl to the editorial staff and they wound up butchering my name as a result. (sigh).

• Options
    40 years ago Tom F Sutton on the cover of #1 of Beyond the Grave

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Caliban said:

40 years ago Tom F Sutton on the cover of #1 of Beyond the Grave

Tom Sutton was a very underrated artist.
  • Options
    Patriotic Covers Day!

Walt Disney Comics & Stories #22 (1942)
    Cover by Carl Buettner

Captain Marvel Adventures #16 (October 1942)
    Cover Art C.C. Beck

Superman #24 (1943)
    Cover art Jack Burnley

National Comics #26 (1942)
    Cover Reed Crandall

Strange Tales #167 (1968)
    Cover Jim Steranko

Spidey Super Stories #17 (July 1976)
    Cover John Romita Sr.

Captain America #1 (MArch 1941)
    Cover Joe Simon & Jack Kirby

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYONE!
  • Options
    July 1941: Not to be outdone by his senior partner, Bucky gets his own whacks in on the cover of Young Allies #1 by Jack Kirby with inks by Syd Shores.

• Options

July 1941: Not to be outdone by his senior partner, Bucky gets his own whacks in on the cover of Young Allies #1 by Jack Kirby with inks by Syd Shores.

I know retrodisgust at historical grotesque racial depictions is pointless, but man, that is one particularly grotesque racial depiction.
  • Options
    40 years on
    July 75 Sal Buscema

• Options
    Caliban said:

40 years on
    July 75 Sal Buscema

How about... The Forgettable Five?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    August 1941: Following the success of Captain America, Timely tasked Simon (as editor) and Kirby (as art director) to create another patriotic hero, and quickly followed with USA Comics #1, naturally with a cover by Kirby and Simon. The book cover-featured the Defender, and though the interior “Defender” story was not drawn by Kirby, some of his Captain America panels were reused (with Cap redrawn as the Defender and Bucky redrawn as the Defender’s sidekick Rusty) in order to get the book out as quickly as possible. But the fans could smell a cheap knockoff from a mile away, and the Defender and Rusty were dropped from the book after issue #4.

• Options
    40 years on - July 1975 and comic title that may not have featured in this thread before. Haunted Love, cover by Tom Sutton again

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763

August 1941: Following the success of Captain America, Timely tasked Simon (as editor) and Kirby (as art director) to create another patriotic hero, and quickly followed with USA Comics #1, naturally with a cover by Kirby and Simon ...

Can't see that image for some reason, @nweathington (or your avatar for that matter). Says "Click and discover Imageshack" but there's nothing to click.

• Options

Can't see that image for some reason, @nweathington (or your avatar for that matter). Says "Click and discover Imageshack" but there's nothing to click.

A lot of avatars disappeared after the "system maintenance" the other day.