Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited July 2015

Yes. All Supes did was stop a bully by embarrassing him and making him dizzy and placing his butt in some food and onto a pinball machine, then he paid for the damages. The bully only got hurt when he tried to gut check Supes.

What Man of Steel's Kent did was destroy a man's property in secret and hurt his livelihood and damage public property and possibly the cafe's property in the process while possibly frightening the entire town bewildered by what actually happened. In a way it's even creepier than Singer's version of "Peeping Tom Superman" in Superman Returns.

Jesus take the wheel :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lydBPm2KRaU

Crippling a truck driver doesn't jeopardize his livelihood?

And better yet, get the fuck out with "his livelihood is jeopardize" due to the damage to his truck. If you're going to use that, then every time someone's home, vehicle, property, or even employer is involved with damage it'll "jeopardize" someone's livelihood.

That's grasping for a lifeline.

M
  • Options

Yes. All Supes did was stop a bully by embarrassing him and making him dizzy and placing his butt in some food and onto a pinball machine, then he paid for the damages. The bully only got hurt when he tried to gut check Supes.

What Man of Steel's Kent did was destroy a man's property in secret and hurt his livelihood and damage public property and possibly the cafe's property in the process while possibly frightening the entire town bewildered by what actually happened. In a way it's even creepier than Singer's version of "Peeping Tom Superman" in Superman Returns.

Jesus take the wheel :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lydBPm2KRaU

And what about the livelihood of that diner owner? If a place has a reputation for fights breaking out, would you take your business there? Whether it's as a patron, insurance carrier, employee, etc. How does that not "jeopardize" HIS livelihood?

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    bamfbamf said:

i always thought the Kent's upbringing was what made Clark Kent Superman and not Evilman... maybe I am focusing too much on the "you don't owe them anything" part...

You were correct.

And there was nothing supposed to be extraordinary about the Kents. They were just good, decent regular* folks, and their goodness, decency, regularity influenced their son.

*Insert obligatory poop joke here.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited July 2015
    WetRats said:

Every morning, right around 10 a.m., Pa Kent could be heard to say, “Time to drop the kids off at the swimmin’ hole.”

What? You said to.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

And better yet, get the fuck out with "his livelihood is in jeopardize" due to the damage to his truck. If you're going to use that, then every time someone's home, vehicle, property, or even employer "jeopardizes" someone's livelihood.

M

You're assuming he was crippled. Rocky may have only sprained his hand, if that. It didn't seem to hurt when he punched Supes in the back of the skull during his previous assault. Supes also calmed the nerves of the establishment goers and kept the damage minimal.

MoS Clark probably traumatized the diners when they came outside to see this...
  • Options

You know, the Beatles wouldn't have blown up a guy’s truck or gone back to that bar to revenge himself on a rude truck driver. They would have sung, “All You Need Is Love,” while running around the city at high speed, then climbed into a tiny car and driven away.

Just saying.

<3 <3 <3
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Matt said:

And better yet, get the fuck out with "his livelihood is in jeopardize" due to the damage to his truck. If you're going to use that, then every time someone's home, vehicle, property, or even employer "jeopardizes" someone's livelihood.

M

You're assuming he was crippled. Rocky may have only sprained his hand, if that. It didn't seem to hurt when he punched Supes in the back of the skull during his previous assault. Supes also calmed the nerves of the establishment goers and kept the damage minimal.

MoS Clark probably traumatized the diners when they came outside to see this...
    So when a depowered Kent got beat up, you expected him to still retain the density (even though the movie didn't) as when he was fully powered?

If you punch a concrete wall with all you have, are you only going to "sprain" your hand? Kent's density is much thicker then a concrete wall. I'm not buying Rocky's hand wouldn't be crippled.

When Lois was tracking down the mystery man, she interviewed the server at that truck stop. She didn't seem traumatized by what happened to the truck.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

bamfbamf said:

i always thought the Kent's upbringing was what made Clark Kent Superman and not Evilman... maybe I am focusing too much on the "you don't owe them anything" part...

You were correct.

And there was nothing supposed to be extraordinary about the Kents. They were just good, decent regular* folks, and their goodness, decency, regularity influenced their son.

Which is why he'll always be "Clark Kent". He might have the biology of an alien, but he was raised human. He's susceptible to the same foibles as the rest of us.

M
  • Options
    So nice to have you back @Matt
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Matt said:

Except that Clark didn't do that to the driver -- the guy brought it on himself through his own actions -- actions that, if Clark hadn't been Superman, might have injured somebody else, perhaps to the point of jeopardizing their livelihoods.
  • Options

Matt said:

Except that Clark didn't do that to the driver -- the guy brought it on himself through his own actions -- actions that, if Clark hadn't been Superman, might have injured somebody else, perhaps to the point of jeopardizing their livelihoods.
    He knew the end result. Kent could rolled with the punch (like when Batman punched him in Death in the Family) to avoid the damage. Instead he just stood there. Good thing he killed Zod, he would've suffered his crippling too.

There were zero injuries when the truck was hulk smashed up.

M
  • Options
    And if you follow the lyrics, she's totally the villain in that story. All that damage based on a "probably". Ted Wells must have done her investigation.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

And if you follow the lyrics, she's totally the villain in that story. All that damage based on a "probably". Ted Wells must have done her investigation.

M
    That's country music these days, I suppose

http://youtu.be/rB7ONnfIjaI
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    the DC hate is real...

Everything Wrong With Batman v Superman Trailer 2 - Comic-Con Trailer
    https://youtu.be/Du8BAPFR5oQ

• Options
    edited July 2015
    bamfbamf said:

the DC hate is real...

Everything Wrong With Batman v Superman Trailer 2 - Comic-Con Trailer
    https://youtu.be/Du8BAPFR5oQ

These suck too. Half the "sins" are ridiculous stuff that's a Stretch Armstrong reach.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Im looking forward big time to this. But if you're WB.... Why would you release another trailer now? The comic con footage, while not a "trailer" has essentially become one and it's already wracking up tens of millions of views this week.

Why release this trailer which is just a shorter version of that, when you could wait a few months and keep earning buzz? They've basically taken all the wind out of this trailer because everyone just watched the comic con footage a few days ago ...
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I believe the shorter version is what will run as a coming attraction in cinemas.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

He knew the end result. Kent could rolled with the punch (like when Batman punched him in Death in the Family) to avoid the damage. Instead he just stood there.
    Doesn't matter. End result is still the same: the guy brought it on himself. I find it very hard to criticize Superman for having no active part in that particular injury. Roll with the punch? Maybe he did, for all we know, even if the filmmaker didn't show it -- super-speed and all that; regardless, I don't think it mattered. The guy had a comeuppance coming and Superman / Clark delivered with minimal effort... and, frankly, with far less damage than you're giving credence to.
  • Options

Matt said:

Matt said:

He knew the end result. Kent could rolled with the punch (like when Batman punched him in Death in the Family) to avoid the damage. Instead he just stood there.
    Doesn't matter. End result is still the same: the guy brought it on himself. I find it very hard to criticize Superman for having no active part in that particular injury. Roll with the punch? Maybe he did, for all we know, even if the filmmaker didn't show it -- super-speed and all that; regardless, I don't think it mattered. The guy had a comeuppance coming and Superman / Clark delivered with minimal effort... and, frankly, with far less damage than you're giving credence to.
    "He brought it on himself" isn't exactly what Pa would promote, would it? If that's the case, why not let villains perish at the devices of their own making?!

Rocky threw a punch at an unmovable object, how he have not been crippled? Again, he was severely injured. In MoS, it was just the guy's truck that sustained damage.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Rocky threw a punch at an unmovable object, how he have not been crippled? Again, he was severely injured. In MoS, it was just the guy's truck that sustained damage.

A few years ago, I flipped my motorcycle doing 50mph and slammed into an immovable object, the road. I was hospitalized for a week and it took a few weeks to recover, but I wasn't "crippled". It could have happened, but by the grace of God it didn't.

You're creating a situation based on a presumption he was "crippled" even though there is no evidence for that. "Rocky" could very likely drive with one good hand and a bandaged hand as long as his rig wasn't mangled like the one in MoS - that guy was also likely fired. Now Zod on the other hand was either crippled or he was killed, or both, in Superman 2. Entirely different situation.
  • Options

Matt said:

A few years ago, I flipped my motorcycle doing 50mph and slammed into an immovable object, the road. I was hospitalized for a week and it took a few weeks to recover, but I wasn't "crippled". It could have happened, but by the grace of God it didn't.

You're creating a situation based on a presumption he was "crippled" even though there is no evidence for that. "Rocky" could very likely drive with one good hand and a bandaged hand as long as his rig wasn't mangled like the one in MoS - that guy was also likely fired. Now Zod on the other hand was either crippled or he was killed, or both, in Superman 2. Entirely different situation.
    How's "creating a situation" any different from what you were doing bringing up "livelihood", "traumatizing" people, (and now) "getting fired" (where was it that he wasn't freelancing)?

We can only really go with what was seen; MoS had a destroyed truck. S2 had an injury to a dude. Rationalize the details for that injury all you want; he was still injured in the fight...in front of awestruck patrons.

M
  • Options
    It's not any different, but we could do this all day. We can either agree that we're both right - livelihoods were affected and a segment of the patrons were likely traumatized, or we can continue to pointlessly debate. I'm fine either way.
  • Options
    Matt said:

These suck too. Half the "sins" are ridiculous stuff that's a Stretch Armstrong reach.

M

Yes.

"Everything Wrong With" is usually just masturbatory sniping.*

*Warning: Do not visualize that phrase.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Also spending time and effort to create content that is about what is wrong with the trailer for a movie you haven't even seen yet? Is everything that is wrong with the Internet. At least when it comes to fan culture.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    JaxUr said:

I believe the shorter version is what will run as a coming attraction in cinemas.

I agree. Totally. Still think overall it would have been better to wait a few weeks.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Yes.

Oh, but don't all of the 'bad' words really make it funnier?!
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I love the Everything Wrong With trailer! Sure it's overly nitpicky but that's part of the fun. The part about Superman accepting their worship had me in stitches.
  • Options
    Meh, Zack Snyder has a visual flair that always cuts pretty well together in a trailer. But he's not much of a story teller. This trailer looked like a bunch of money shots but didn't really seem terribly cohesive as a story. Also, Martha Kent...
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Yes.

But it's a joke, not a critisism. They actually seemed pretty excited for the movie.
  • Options
    Matt said:

"He brought it on himself" isn't exactly what Pa would promote, would it? If that's the case, why not let villains perish at the devices of their own making?!

First of all, Pa Kent in the 70's Superman films was pretty much a different character than the Pa Kent in Man Of Steel -- and I think I've already expressed elsewhere how 'off-character' I thought the MOS version was.

Secondly, allowing a bully to hurt his hand through his own mischief is not the same thing as allowing villains to perish. They might do so anyway as a result of their own machinations, but that's not the same as allowing them to.