Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel/Disney officially resumes control of Star Wars publishing from Dark Horse in 2015

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I can't imagine MarvelDisney ignoring 20 years of what Dark Horse helped create. Well...yes, I can *imagine* it...but they'd be crazy to do it. :) And at least for me, I won't ignore what DH gave us whether the powers that be want to say it's part of this monstrosity we call "canon" or not.

The best Star Wars stories in existence were created by me when I played with my Star Wars figures as an 8-year old. The story where my jawa stole the Millennium Falcon? Epic in its scope, gripping in its telling! :)

That said, I'm willing to give Marvel its day in court (like I try to do with all books) and not condemn these books when we're a year or so away from seeing them in print.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited January 2014
    Torchsong said:

I can't imagine MarvelDisney ignoring 20 years of what Dark Horse helped create.

On the other hand, trying to tie the new movies in to twenty years' worth of wildly uneven novels, comics, video games and RPG supplements is pretty limiting.

The Expanded Universe might well be in need of a mercy killing. Restart a unified canon with Episode VII. Keep the strongest elements of the Expanded Universe, but don't straightjacket yourself into adapting a timeline that's already been established. The prequels suffered enough from a sense of inevitability.

Throw us some bones, like maybe Mara Jade and the Solo kids, but spare us thirteen different Imperial Superweapons, the Clone Emperor and the New Jedi Order.
  • Options
    It is my feeling that what we often see in the Marvel films will be the prevailing attitude of the Lucasfilm sequels. Nods to continuity, some red meat for the wonks, and strong adherence only to the six films that have come before.

Somehow, I also have doubts that we'll ever hear about midi-chlorians or Anakin Skywalker's emaculate conception again. I certainly hope that's the case.
  • Options

Somehow, I also have doubts that we'll ever hear about midi-chlorians or Anakin Skywalker's emaculate conception again. I certainly hope that's the case.

Amen to that.
  • Options

I could see Abrams taking both those concepts and finding a way to make them more palatable and believable if he wanted to, though.

Midicholorians - Old Han finds Old Luke poring through a book some 30-40 years old. He asks what he's reading. Luke says it had to do with Midichlorians - some old belief neither of his old masters had mentioned to him. He chuckles a bit at the idea that at one point the Jedi tried to quantify and measure the Force in purely scientific terms. Then as a gag he turns the reading device on his own son...and watches it fly off the chart.

Immacualte conception - Shmi was lying. :)

• Options
    I hope not, but yes, I agree, I could definitely see Abrams waste screen time on both of those useless tidbits.
  • Options

I hope not, but yes, I agree, I could definitely see Abrams waste screen time on both of those useless tidbits.

Just count yourself lucky Lucas didn't hold on to the franchise long enough to go back and create "Extra special Editions" that worked all that stuff into the original movies. :)

• Options
    Torchsong said:

Immacualte conception - Shmi was lying. :)

Shmi was mindwiped.
  • Options
    http://io9.com/disney-appoints-a-group-to-determine-a-new-official-st-1497893812?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Apparently I may get my wish. According to some people Leland Chee is very pro-midichlorian. :(

Also, damn I wish I was on this committee. I'd lead the "Han Shot First" Committee.
  • Options
    I'd be okay with them only keeping Episode IV and V (original NOT special editions) canon and just dumping everything else and starting from there.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

http://io9.com/disney-appoints-a-group-to-determine-a-new-official-st-1497893812?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Apparently I may get my wish. According to some people Leland Chee is very pro-midichlorian. :(

Also, damn I wish I was on this committee. I'd lead the "Han Shot First" Committee.

Someone in the comments of that article said this, and I also read this somewhere else over the past couple days of this news breaking... "Treat them like flawed historical accounts."
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Torchsong said:

I'd lead the "Han Shot First" Committee.

Elder Han Solo telling his progeny "when face to face with an enemy, always shoot first kid. You can always pay someone to clean-up the mess when it's over. I never met a Rodian that even bothered to be so courteous."

Leia: "What?"

Han: "Nevermind."
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Not behind this. I don't think that Marvel will give the SWU the time and effort it needs after their initial push and despite them saying that they won't trash continuty I won't take that as gospel.

I'll especially miss the Dark Horse Omnibus series where you could get all the Star Wars stuff in a nice compact volume for a reasonable price.
  • Options

I'll especially miss the Dark Horse Omnibus series where you could get all the Star Wars stuff in a nice compact volume for a reasonable price.

Me too, although I wish they were printed in a larger format...
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Me too, although I wish they were printed in a larger format...

Not me, @bralinator. I love that size, especially for the hardcover dark empire volume.

It's already started to effect the dh trades. Just got amazon notifications that the few volumes of omnibi that I have on order have change their shipping dates to unspecified. Damn! I was hoping to get all the dark times, rebellion and legacy stuff on trade before anything major would happen. Looks like I'll have to hunt for back issues now to read those stories. Hopefully dh will be allowed to print out the stuff in trades on. Before the switch happens.

Lament, lament, lament.

Thank you dark horse for doing an awesome job and sorry that Disney didn't leave you alone to do what you are good at and earn them money.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Wanted to revisit this to see what everyone was thinking about Marvel's current take on Star Wars. Currently they are publishing 5 titles with a couple more announced. I haven't read Kanan, so I can't speak to it, but I am enjoying the other 4. Would also like to see an anthology ongoing title. Maybe something with several 8-12 page stories featuring lower tier characters Wedge, Biggs, IG88, and occasional Han, Ben, Boba Fett or Yoda solo stories.

Not sure if I'm interested in the recently announced Chewbacca limited series. Groot didn't do much for me, and they both seem to be similarly limited in their vocabulary. It could be fun though.

I admit that I was initially disappointed that they were kicking off the ongoing SW series immediately after "A New Hope"'s conclusion, because I was a big fan of Brian Wood's run on the same timeline at Dark Horse, but I've enjoyed it immensely. Since Marvel has a good relationship with Wood, does anyone think he will get in on some of this action?

Anyone else enjoying Marvel's Star Wars titles?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I'm only reading the main SW title, but I'm loving it. Been tempted to try the padawan book but the rest seem iffy. Are the others really worth it? Not just $$grab fillers?

I really enjoyed much of the dark horse SW stuff but it grew boring and uninteresting to me and I eventually stopped. In thrilled to be back into the SWU.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Darth Vader is definitely worth it. It even ties into the main SW series. Princess Leia was all right as a 5 issue mini. I don't think I would stay with it after the first arc. Lando just came out so we'll see.
  • Options
    Darth Vader is definitely the gem of the new titles. I am surprised they have kept it as an ongoing. It is exceptional. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I do. I also am thoroughly enjoying the main Star Wars title. Leia was okay, Lando is promising.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm loving SW and Vader.
  • Options
    Marvel has, in total, with Star Wars, Darth Vader, Princess Leia and now Lando, sold over five million print copies of single titles, so far.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

Marvel has, in total, with Star Wars, Darth Vader, Princess Leia and now Lando, sold over five million print copies of single titles, so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw2sex1mJNI
  • Options
    SW just went live on Marvel Unlimited this week, so I finally got a chance to read it. The first issue was pretty entertaining, I'll probably stick with it for a while. Looking forward to DV, which will probably go up in a week or two.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

SW just went live on Marvel Unlimited this week, so I finally got a chance to read it. The first issue was pretty entertaining, I'll probably stick with it for a while. Looking forward to DV, which will probably go up in a week or two.

I haven't picked up any of the Star Wars books yet, but they look interesting and I would like to check them out (just don't want to add more to my monthly comic budget). One more reason to sign up for Marvel Unlimited. Next time Marvel drops a coupon code into my email box, I'm jumping onboard!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Hex said:

I haven't picked up any of the Star Wars books yet, but they look interesting and I would like to check them out (just don't want to add more to my monthly comic budget). One more reason to sign up for Marvel Unlimited. Next time Marvel drops a coupon code into my email box, I'm jumping onboard!
    And Marvel has added a HUGE amount of the Dark Horse back catalog of Star Wars stuff to MU already. So even though the first of the new Marvel issues have only started to go live, you could binge on a lot of older SW whenever you want on there.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if they added the Brian Wood Star Wars series to MU? I think it had about 18 issues and was an ongoing when it was announced Star Wars was returning to Marvel. Or how about The Star Wars Lucas draft series (including the 0 issue). That was the last of the DH series I read and it was awesome.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited July 2015

Does anyone know if they added the Brian Wood Star Wars series to MU? I think it had about 18 issues and was an ongoing when it was announced Star Wars was returning to Marvel. Or how about The Star Wars Lucas draft series (including the 0 issue). That was the last of the DH series I read and it was awesome.

They did. On both accounts.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    kiwijase said:
    Haha! That's what retailers are screaming as they are stuck with 98% of them unsold. Yes that was exaggeration. Somewhat. Haha.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    RepoMan said:

kiwijase said:
    Haha! That's what retailers are screaming as they are stuck with 98% of them unsold. Yes that was exaggeration. Somewhat. Haha.
    To be fair, if that were the case, the numbers for SW or Vader issues for issues 4 or 5 and onward should be much lower than what they are.
    Ditto the huge collected edition numbers reported the other day.

I'm not saying that all those sales are sell-through a, of course they aren't, but I would guess that, from a bottom line point of view, most retailers would be pretty pleased with Star Wars at Marvel.