Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Implosion II? or DC Yoops!

2»

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

When I look at the numbers, the thing that blows me away is that while DC's in 2nd place in comics (and dropping, Image will be #2 if trends hold within two years), their book trade has completely collapsed. Their backstock is nearly non-existent, they have slowed the Showcases to about 3 a year, and aside from a few half-hearted attempts at books that gather random stories from the past, the pre-New 52 is out of print.

And their trade sales are TERRIBLE.

The Vertigo line, which used to account for a good third of their backstock sales are nearly gone. Probably because they haven't had a real long-term trade seller since Fables, and it started over a decade ago.

I'm enjoying the re-prints of the Grell Green Arrow saga as well as the Ostrander Suicide Squad runs. Both are, of course, tied in to movie and television properties that are getting buzz, but they get my $$ every time a new one comes out. Dare I hope we get some Supergirl reprints (Daring? Peter David run?) from her new show.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited August 2015
    Torchsong said:

When I look at the numbers, the thing that blows me away is that while DC's in 2nd place in comics (and dropping, Image will be #2 if trends hold within two years), their book trade has completely collapsed. Their backstock is nearly non-existent, they have slowed the Showcases to about 3 a year, and aside from a few half-hearted attempts at books that gather random stories from the past, the pre-New 52 is out of print.

The Vertigo line, which used to account for a good third of their backstock sales are nearly gone. Probably because they haven't had a real long-term trade seller since Fables, and it started over a decade ago.

I'm enjoying the re-prints of the Grell Green Arrow saga as well as the Ostrander Suicide Squad runs. Both are, of course, tied in to movie and television properties that are getting buzz, but they get my $$ every time a new one comes out. Dare I hope we get some Supergirl reprints (Daring? Peter David run?) from her new show.

Actually we are. The first 8 issues of David's run will be put out in trade in March of next year. It was announced (I think) in the DC spring catalog and it is up on Amazon for pre order.
  • Options
    Cool! Hopefully they'll keep it going!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Torchsong said:

For me I've been enjoying the first two volumes of Ostrander's Spectre and Dixon's Nightwing. I'm sure neither is lighting up the sales charts but I appreciate the collections.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited September 2015
    After looking thru the December DC solicits:

There are 68 floppies (not counting all ages books) solicited. 21 one of those star/feature Batman. Another 19 star/feature a character from the "bat family." 40 books total out of 68. There are a couple titles I am unsure of and did not count, so 40 may be slightly low.

In the collected editons (not counting vertigo), there are 25 books solicited. 12 star/feature Batman. Another 8 star/feature a bat family character. 20 total out of 25.

I am not sure if this beats Wolverine at his peak but it has to be close to some sort of record.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Two of the new books have already been cancelled.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    And some of the older ones have been cancelled as well.
  • Options
    To be honest I'm not surprised Omega Men didn't last. I was the only one buying it, apparently. :) (And enjoying it, I might add!)

Batman '66 had a respectable 30-issue run, plus the side stories (Green Hornet, Man from Uncle) and Sensation was a great showcase book for Wonder Woman stories, but I'm not surprised it's ending as well.

Bottom line, folks, if you want a book to last, you need to buy it. You need to be vocal about it. You need to get other people interested in it. And the flip side is also true...publishers, if you want us to buy your books, stop making shitty books and business decisions that alienate the fanbase that supports you.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    30 issue will make for a nice bind :)
  • Options
    DC Comics: Throw It Against The Wall And See What Sticks!

*throws*
    *hits wall*
    *doesn't stick*

Oh well. Bring in the next round, boys!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited September 2015
    Torchsong said:

Bottom line, folks, if you want a book to last, you need to buy it. You need to be vocal about it. You need to get other people interested in it. And the flip side is also true...publishers, if you want us to buy your books, stop making shitty books and business decisions that alienate the fanbase that supports you.

A recent example is the new series from DC called 'Prez'. It was originally solicited as a 12 issue limited series. However, as the 3rd issue was being solicited, DC cut it back to a 6 issue limited series.

To the uneducated layman or consumer, that probably sounds like DC is being smart and responding to low sales, but it isn't necessarily so. When issue 3 was being solicited, issue #1 had just hit the newstands. So, the publisher was basing the longevity of the title on preorders by the retailers, not on consumer response.

Now, there wasn't a lot of buzz for the book when it was being solicited, but it got a lot of publicity/press and several noteworthy outlets have been praising the book, but I haven't seen it at my LCS. Most of the political and social commentary is about as subtle as a clown fight, but I do think DC was on to something fresh here, something not a part of the house style. Unfortunately they seem to be getting gun-shy about their unproven titles. It's certainly a vote of 'no confidence' which is never a pretty sight.

Most recent updates this as splitting it into two 6 issue runs with a break in between. We'll see...I salute this book for trying something original
  • Options
    I seem to recall hearing Prez started out as a 12-issue series. Is now down to 6. And they're saying it's actually going to be two 6-issue runs now.

Don't ask for citations. I went to the Bleeding Cool school of journalism. :)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Torchsong said:

I seem to recall hearing Prez started out as a 12-issue series. Is now down to 6. And they're saying it's actually going to be two 6-issue runs now.

Don't ask for citations. I went to the Bleeding Cool school of journalism. :)

Your "sources".
    Two six issue runs would make sense. There would need to be some restructuring of the story, but I think you sell two 6 issue series much easier than a 12 issue run.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I also think Prez is a hard sell anyway so cutting the series short is probably for the best
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

Torchsong said:

A recent example is the new series from DC called 'Prez'. It was originally solicited as a 12 issue limited series. However, as the 3rd issue was being solicited, DC cut it back to a 6 issue limited series.

To the uneducated layman or consumer, that probably sounds like DC is being smart and responding to low sales, but it isn't necessarily so. When issue 3 was being solicited, issue #1 had just hit the newstands. So, the publisher was basing the longevity of the title on preorders by the retailers, not on consumer response.
    That's something that's baffled me for a while. Essentially, a book's popularity is being based solely on the ordering habits of comic retailers.

When I've brought this up in the past, someone will typically point out that in most cases, once a book starts trending downward, the situation never changes, so cancellation is the only option that makes sense.

I don't buy that. Not to paint with too wide a brush, but I would assume that comic retailers, like most retailers, are going to be conservative in what they stock in their store. So, naturally, the sales figures are going to follow a consistent pattern. Comic shop owners are going to keep ordering based on how they've been doing so for years, which means that anything out of the norm without a name creator is going to be minimally ordered after that first issue.

From what I gather, it's pretty much standard to cut orders substantially for issue 2, and then cut them even more for 3, and so on. Without at least six months to a year (and I think closer to a year is better), it's tough to give a chance for audience interest to build.

One problem with that argument though is digital availability. Readers don't need to rely on a shop stocking the title anymore. But the title still needs to last long enough to get some buzz.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited September 2015
    chrisw said:

From what I gather, it's pretty much standard to cut orders substantially for issue 2, and then cut them even more for 3, and so on. Without at least six months to a year (and I think closer to a year is better), it's tough to give a chance for audience interest to build.

One problem with that argument though is digital availability. Readers don't need to rely on a shop stocking the title anymore. But the title still needs to last long enough to get some buzz.

The reason that it's become the standard is because it has been proven over decades of sales figures that very few series given that year to catch on, ever actually improve significantly sales-wise. There are certainly exceptions, but with margins as tight as they are today, most stores can't afford to take that chance.

But, yes, I agree that digital could potentially change that. It will be something to keep an eye on, but I think it will have to start with the smaller publishers. I don't see Marvel or DC pushing as being places for change at the moment. But I think it's in some ways already started with smaller publishers doing print editions of ongoing web comics or new material that spins out of those established web comics. Puppy Cat and Giant Days come to mind.