Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Worst Comic Book Movie?

Comments

• Options
    David_D said:

David_D said:

Mihawk said:

I chose GL because with GL I think had hopes that it would good but the rest yes where terrible but did anyone believe a Catwoman solo movie would be good?

Just like does anyone think a Gambit solo movie will good? I suspect very soon that Gambit movie will be added to this list.

That is how desperate Fox has become to have a movie universe that there making a Gambit solo movie. Because Gambit is just known for all his amazing solo stories and adventures said no one ever.

In fairness, the same could have been said of Ant Man.

There is a banner up on Marvel Unlimited that says "The Best of Ant-Man!" And, while I haven't clicked through, I am guessing that is not going to be too long of a tail.
    You want to make a good Catwoman solo movie? I point you to Darwyn Cooke’s Selina’s Big Score, or the Ed Brubaker/Darwyn Cooke/Cameron Stewart Catwoman series. All you need to make one great movie is one great story.
    Agreed! Those were great.

(I was talking about Ant Man, though. But, still, I agree about those Catwoman books.)
    I was responding to further up the chain, but the same applies to any character. You don't need a rich history of great stories featuring the character to make a great movie—you only need one great story, even if you have to make it up yourself.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

You don't need a rich history of great stories featuring the character to make a great movie—you only need one great story, even if you have to make it up yourself.

*slow clap*
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited September 2015
    The Spirit
    David_D said:

Only by LIARS! Two words - LIVING. ERASER.

• Options
    I notice Man of Steel and Superman Returns are conspicuously missing from the list. Some comics movies suffer from having too little a budget, and that can, in some respects, be a mitigating factor (Salinger Captain America, Corman FF, etc.) . There is no excuse for The Spirit and it's big-budget ilk, and I think Man of Steel and Superman Returns fall into that category. As a matter of fact, I think Green Lantern is better than Superman Returns. It's the poster child for squandered opportunity and dumb writing.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    QUESTION:
    Tonebone said:

I notice Man of Steel and Superman Returns are conspicuously missing from the list. Some comics movies suffer from having too little a budget, and that can, in some respects, be a mitigating factor (Salinger Captain America, Corman FF, etc.) . There is no excuse for The Spirit and it's big-budget ilk, and I think Man of Steel and Superman Returns fall into that category. As a matter of fact, I think Green Lantern is better than Superman Returns. It's the poster child for squandered opportunity and dumb writing.

Good point.

ANSWER:

these online polls only allow up to 10 options. Otherwise, there would've been room for Superman III, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, Ghost Rider 2, Man of Steel, and many others.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    The Spirit
    The Spirit was just dreck. The comedy didn't work. The serious aspect didn't work. The comic book-ness didn't work. Nothing worked!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Green Lantern
    Tonebone said:

People not have spoken highly of Man of Steel, but no way it belongs in that group above. Maybe the "Second Group of Worst Comic Book Movies", but not the bottom grouping.

M
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Matt said:

Tonebone said:

People not have spoken highly of Man of Steel, but no way it belongs in that group above. Maybe the "Second Group of Worst Comic Book Movies", but not the bottom grouping.

M
    I don't think Superman Returns belongs in the bottom group either.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    The Spirit
    I think Superman Returns would belong in a "Most Disappointing Comic Book Movies" grouping, but not a "Worst" grouping.
  • Options

I think Superman Returns would belong in a "Most Disappointing Comic Book Movies" grouping, but not a "Worst" grouping.

I wanted to love Superman Returns; I love Superman. It just wasn't what I wanted.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

These two scenes save Superman Returns from the list, for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLN3dPMyXeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7LwYWinYdQ

Those are the only two scenes in the film we really get to see Superman be Superman though, right?

;)
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited September 2015

These two scenes save Superman Returns from the list, for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLN3dPMyXeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7LwYWinYdQ

Regarding the first video. What sold that scene for me was the little look Superman
    gave the gunman after the bullet bounced of Supes' eye. Routh nailed it.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I defend superman returns. It worked for me, but there were a few small misteps and some nitpicks. Damn shame it wasn't given a sequel.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

I defend superman returns. It worked for me, but there were a few small misteps and some nitpicks. Damn shame it wasn't given a sequel.

I really enjoyed the movie when it first came out, and have rewatched it many times since. I too would've liked to have seen a sequel. I think Brandon Routh would've made the part his own.

• Options
    Green Lantern
    kiwijase said:

batlaw said:

I really enjoyed the movie when it first came out, and have rewatched it many times since. I too would've liked to have seen a sequel. I think Brandon Routh would've made the part his own.

If they wouldn't have had that annoying kid, the movie's likeability for me would double.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    kiwijase said:

batlaw said:

Routh was great. The script was not.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited September 2015
    Matt said:

kiwijase said:

batlaw said:

If they wouldn't have had that annoying kid, the movie's likeability for me would double.

M
    The whole thing didn't make sense. Superman Returns was advertised as a direct sequel to Superman II. But in that movie, Supes was only able to get busy with Lois if he gave up his powers and became a mortal man. So how could the kid have inherited his powers?

• Options
    kiwijase said:

Matt said:

kiwijase said:

batlaw said:

M
    The whole thing didn't make sense. Superman Returns was advertised as a direct sequel to Superman II. But in that movie, Supes was only able to get busy with Lois if he gave up his powers and became a mortal man. So how could the kid have inherited his powers?

The list of everything Superman Returns did wrong is substantial. The entire kid business being something terribly wrong.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Matt said:

kiwijase said:

batlaw said:

M
    The kid himself wasn't annoying to me (well, maybe his hair), even the idea of him though wasn't really an issue for me personally. My issue was mainly that it all painted the characters (primarily superman) into a corner that couldn't be resolved satisfactorily.
    Imo, not counting the suit, the only problems with Returns was mainly that it just lacked a couple more needed action beats, and the jarring, weird feeling situation and tonal shift at the end when he "dies".
  • Options
    Oh, yeah... he lifts an entire continent made of Kryptonite... that's totally in-character for Superman!

(Rolls eyes)
  • Options

kiwijase said:

Matt said:

kiwijase said:

batlaw said:

M

The list of everything Superman Returns did wrong is substantial. The entire kid business being something terribly wrong.
    Yes... and with it's budget, and director's pedigree, it should have never turned out that way.

I have always contended that Superman is a GREAT character, and his good stories are comic book gold, but that's only a very small handfull of stories.. the rest are crap. Writers have a very hard time getting him right.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Jonah Hex
    Went with Jonah Hex. Friend of mine was an extra in it.And he told me "Do not watch it." I rented it and saw why. Still need to see The Spirit. But I doubt it is as bad as Hex was.
  • Options
    The Spirit
    WetRats said:

I'm curious.

Why do so many of y'all watch movies that you know are going to be bad?

I just repeat to myself that it's just a show and I should really just relax.
  • Options
    The Spirit
    David_D said:

Mihawk said:

I chose GL because with GL I think had hopes that it would good but the rest yes where terrible but did anyone believe a Catwoman solo movie would be good?

Just like does anyone think a Gambit solo movie will good? I suspect very soon that Gambit movie will be added to this list.

That is how desperate Fox has become to have a movie universe that there making a Gambit solo movie. Because Gambit is just known for all his amazing solo stories and adventures said no one ever.

There is a banner up on Marvel Unlimited that says "The Best of Ant-Man!" And, while I haven't clicked through, I am guessing that is not going to be too long of a tail.
    There's the Mark Evainer story and.....
  • Options
    Green Lantern
    dubbat138 said:

Went with Jonah Hex. Friend of mine was an extra in it.And he told me "Do not watch it." I rented it and saw why. Still need to see The Spirit. But I doubt it is as bad as Hex was.

That's like saying the firing squad can't be as bad as the guillotine!

It comes down to: 1 has Megan Fox to stare at, the other has Scarlett Johansson to stare at.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

dubbat138 said:

That's like saying the firing squad can't be as bad as the guillotine!

It comes down to: 1 has Megan Fox to stare at, the other has Scarlett Johansson to stare at.

M
    That might be the best review I've read of either movie.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    The Spirit
    The Spirit is unwatchable in my opinion. It's just so, so bad. Jonah Hex and Catwoman are up there are as well.

I've seen all the movies on this list and they are bad but I think Green Lantern is more disappointing than flat out bad. I would also say that when I was a kid I thought Spawn was pretty good but I haven't seen it since it came out like 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Worst to best Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, organized by the Tomatometer.

Thor: The Dark World (2013) 66%
    The Incredible Hulk (2008) 67%
    Iron Man 2 (2010) 72%
    Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) 75%
    Thor (2011) 77%
    Iron Man 3 (2013) 79%
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) 80%
    Ant-Man (2015) 81%
    Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014) 89%
    Doctor Strange (2016) 90%
    Captain America: Civil War (2016) 90%
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) 91%