Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1574 Talkback - Spotlight on Dr. Strange

Praise be to the Vishanti! Chris 'Sorcerer Supreme' Eberle and Adam 'Master of the Mystic Arts' Murdough form a cabalistic collaboration to bring you this self-contained Spotlight episode about the Marvel Universe's expert-in-residence on all matters magical, Doctor Strange! We bring you the darksome details of every era in the good doctor's half-century history: his most significant storylines, his most awesome occult opponents, his most entertainingly enigmatic incantations! Download it now, True Believers--the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak compel you! (2:44:57)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    I am going to savor this one. Most of my Dr. Strange reading has been that digest that had his first few issues, his stint with the Defenders, actually very few Dr. Strange issues, The Oath, and some of his Avengers appearances. I'm interested his new comic coming out. Looking forward to hearing of some runs I should read.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    There was another great Dr Strange mini in 2006 in addition to The Oath - X-Statix presents Dead Girl.

Despite its title it was as much a Dr Strange story as a Dead Girl one.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    This one's gonna be good!! I look forward to listening.
  • Options
    Brack said:

There was another great Dr Strange mini in 2006 in addition to The Oath - X-Statix presents Dead Girl.

Despite its title it was as much a Dr Strange story as a Dead Girl one.

Seconded. That was a fun story. Milligan writing, of course, with Nick Dragotta (of East of West doing some of his earliest work) and Mike Allred handling the artwork.
  • Options
    I'm less than 3 minutes in and fully enjoying Adam's full plunge into the mystic magic of Dr. Strange, including the message from our sponsor. This will be so much fun.
  • Options
    I'm only about an hour into it and am loving it. Two hours and 45 minutes of discussion, not to mention all the prep time that must have gone into it? Thank you Adam and Chris for devoting so much of your time!
  • Options
    I'm all about the love for The Oath. Great writing by Vaughn and even better artwork from Martin (pronounced mar-TEEN, by the way—he’s Spanish). I'm sure it will be back in print well before the movie is released.

And as far as the TV movie, as a kid I actually liked Dr. Strange the best of all the Marvel TV movies of the ’70s. Yeah, it has cheesy effects, and the actor playing Strange has that disco perm, but the plot is pretty solid, if memory serves. I found it to be less disappointing to my childhood expectations than the Spidey, Cap, and Hulk movies.
  • Options

Since you didn't talk about Dr. Strange vol. 2, #55 by Stern and Michael Golden/Terry Austin, I will. Not only is this one of the best written stories of Stern's run, but art-wise this is one of the most influential comics of the ’80s. Everyone from Kevin Nowlan to Art Adams to Todd McFarlane cites this issue as a huge inspiration.

@nweathington The artist Buzz (JustBuzz) who has appeared on the show would trade sketches for that issue so he could give them to aspiring artists. I actually got a quick sketch from him at Super Show for one. The more copies you brought the more detail of the sketch. I can't recall if you have been on the forums at that time.
  • Options
    Cannot wait to listen to this! Thanks, guys!
  • Options
    Not only am I thrilled to have this Spotlight episode on a character I've only really been reading through guest appearances, team books, and Dr. Strange: The Oath over the years, but I was thrilled to hear the unannounced special guest of the episode in the background multiple times: Chirpy, The CGS Cricket! :wink:
  • Options
    I am impressed by the ability of two men to talk about Doctor Strange for nearly three hours! Excelsior, gentlemen!!
  • Options

@nweathington The artist Buzz (JustBuzz) who has appeared on the show would trade sketches for that issue so he could give them to aspiring artists. I actually got a quick sketch from him at Super Show for one. The more copies you brought the more detail of the sketch. I can't recall if you have been on the forums at that time.

I'd forgotten about that, but yes, I do remember hearing about that now you mention it.
  • Options
    Spotlights are my favorite part of your show. I've been looking forward to this Episode. Keep up the great work good sirs.

By the way, is this the Trade that you mentioned in the Episode?
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Glad to see you've tackled this! Doc Strange is cool! I think I first ran into the character when I bought my Strange Tales issues at a mom-and-pop store in the '60's. I think it was when Kirby was still drawing SHIELD and perhaps Marie Severin or Dan Adkins was drawing Strange. I got sporadic issues and then followed him into his own mag with Colan drawing. I got the Avengers/Doctor Strange crossover with the Black Knight in it.
    Notes on listening:

(Possible SPOILERS!): I think Mordo is the villain in the movie, but I don't know about Clea. Eternity is supposedly involved too. Hmm...you wonder if Doc will also make an appearance in Cap: Civil War since he was hiding them during the comic version.

Yeah, the Greenwich Bleeker Street Window!: I REALLY hope that appears in the movie!

Oh, man! That Pink Floyd album cover: AWESOME! I never knew that! (He appears on the right side--looks like he's doing an incantation for a spell)

Dr. Strange's blue Mask: I know he was having a problem with people knowing who he was so he decided to wear a mask and got a new civilian identity as Stephen Saunders.
    Okay, I've listened up to Marvel Premiere...I'll stop here and continue tomorrow.
  • Options
    @nweathington & @matchkitJOHN : Great info on that Golden issue. Hell of a cover image. I have a new item on my back issue hit-list. :-)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited September 2015
    Another excellent Spotlight gentlemen!

https://youtu.be/hPbKjYnrxws

The "A Saucer Full of Secrets" album cover was created by the late Storm Thorgerson, legendary designer of many of Pink Floyd's album images.

• Options
    Gentlemen, thank you once again for the time and effort in producing another fantastic spotlight. You've put me in the mood for some reading. ...hmmm, where to start??

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    This is cool but what about the anniversary spotlights? This is the 75th anniversary of Doctor Fate, Catwoman, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, the Joker, the JSA and the Spectre.

It's also the 50th anniversary for Metamorpho, Scorpion, Count Nefaria, Ka-Zara, Jarvis, Stilt Man(!), Teen Titans, Starfinger, the Warriors Three, SHIELD and HYDRA, Power Man, Krona, Egg Fu(!), Beast Boy, Ultra the Multi Alien (!), and the Inhumans among others.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

This is cool but what about the anniversary spotlights? This is the 75th anniversary of Doctor Fate, Catwoman, Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, the Joker, the JSA and the Spectre.

It's also the 50th anniversary for Metamorpho, Scorpion, Count Nefaria, Ka-Zara, Jarvis, Stilt Man(!), Teen Titans, Starfinger, the Warriors Three, SHIELD and HYDRA, Power Man, Krona, Egg Fu(!), Beast Boy, Ultra the Multi Alien (!), and the Inhumans among others.

There are only so many hours in the day, week, month, and year. We know there's at least one other Spotlight coming soon, so perhaps that one is one of those mentioned. But they can't cover everything, or there would be no room for other types of episodes!
  • Options
    This is what I've been waiting for!! Great stuff guys.

A little too close with the mic there Chris ;-) but I just thought of it as Dormammu had entrapped you within the Portmanteau of Podcasting, restricting your movement as he transported you via the Wind of Watoom to the vile Baron Mordo, where he used the Vapors of Valtorr to obscure your view of exactly how close you were to the microphone.

Just a fantastic episode guys, Seriously, thank you both. You have made this faithful listener very happy!!!!
  • Options
    Duoarchy Of Dorkdom!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

There are only so many hours in the day, week, month, and year. We know there's at least one other Spotlight coming soon, so perhaps that one is one of those mentioned. But they can't cover everything, or there would be no room for other types of episodes!
    Agreed, I threw a few of those anniversaries in there just as nods to Murd. Also, some characters, like Hawkman have been pretty well served.

That said, and I understand that it's the geeks show and choice of topics, I think that it's unfortunate that a bunch of 75th anniversaries are getting skipped in favor of non-anniversaries. More so due to the strong Marvel leanings.

I'd personally love to hear the same treatment given to Dr Fate and Spectre and I've got to believe that Peter would be all over a series on the Titans.
  • Options
    I believe the mask era came after the first (yes, first) time Doctor Strange watched the universe get remade. One result was that he'd been magically inserted into the world as Stephen Sanders, to conceal his true identity. I may be remembering wrong, but reality-altering magic was definitely involved.

I would have liked to have heard Chris and Murd's take on The Doctor Is Out, which I think had the makings of a good ongoing. Alas. I think TDIO gets flak, but I rather enjoy it. It's a study of Stephen figuring out who he is when being Sorcerer Supreme is taken from him, and it was a really good direction, with a lighter Stephen written by Mark Waid.

If/when you do a Defenders spotlight, please include the Fraction/Dodsons series! It was gone too soon.
  • Options
    Another spectacular spotlight, gentlemen! Other than the Lee/Ditko run and The Oath, I have very little experience with Dr. Strange. Like Chris and Murd, I often find him to be utterly unrelatable. I could not agree more that he works best as a supporting character in others' books as opposed to as a headliner in his own. One of my favorite Dr. Strange appearances was in Uncanny X-Men #329-330, Warrior of the Ebon Night storyline in which Wolverine and Archangel tap into the mystic arts to try to save Psylocke's life (Feb-Mar, 1996). Joe Madureira and Tim Townsend draw a mean Sorceror Supreme!

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Another great Spotlight!

Thank you Adam and Chris. Can't wait for the next!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the spotlight guys. Based on your recommendation of the Oath, I went to my local comic shop today to look for it. I doubted they would have it, since Chris mentioned it was out of print, but I was lucky to find their last copy. Can't wait to read it! I've really liked the Dr. Strange character since I first read Spider-Man Annual 14 over and over and over and over again as a kid.
  • Options
    SamirDave said:

Thanks for the spotlight guys. Based on your recommendation of the Oath, I went to my local comic shop today to look for it. I doubted they would have it, since Chris mentioned it was out of print, but I was lucky to find their last copy. Can't wait to read it! I've really liked the Dr. Strange character since I first read Spider-Man Annual 14 over and over and over and over again as a kid.

I checked Amazon when he mentioned that and they had some copies and there were some used ones too if anybody else is looking. Need to read mine again.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I didn't really know anything about Dr. Strange except his origin stuff. I think our library system has the Oath so I'm gonna check that out.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2015
    Mark Waid and Emma Rios did a good mini a few years ago called Strange. I personally enjoyed it more than Oath, but that's just me...