Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comic podcasts

Im looking for some new comic podcasts. I have listened to about 1000 of the CGS podcasts over the last year and a half and Im looking for something new to hold me over until newer content comes out. I really like how CGS goes over the history of characters and what not those are my favorite episodes. I also have been listening to Uncanny X-Cast and Rachel and Miles but I want to learn about more than just the X-Men. Im contemplating relistening to all the CGS character spotlight episodes again. I would love some fresh content though while I wait. I have checked out some other podcasts such as infinite longbox and fight for comics but I prefer multiple host podcasts I cant stand listen to a monologue for hours I love discussion!
Thanks for all your help guys and gals! Have a great day!

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited October 2015
    If you want an interesting look at the life of comics professionals try the crankcast. It's not a comics podcast really, but the hosts are Chris Crank (letterer for Oni) and Mike Norton (comics artist) and regular guest are Mike's studio mates: Tim Seeley (comics writer and former artist) and Shawn Dove (graphic designer and creator of Last Days of Danger, an art book on James Bond movies).

This might get me some heat, but for long interviews with comics professionals there is really only one show. Word Balloon.

Since you've listened to a chunk of CGS you also might want to try Peter Rios's so podcast the Daily Rios.
  • Options
    I have recently been listening to Talking Comics as well as Comic Vine podcasts.

Like you I like how CGS talks about the history of characters and comics, and how they can really dig deep into a specific character, story or event. I learn a lot by listening to CGS! :-)

Talking Comics and Comic Vines seems to be more focused on new comics and comic related stuff like TV-shows and movies but you might want to give them a try.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I expect you've exhausted trying out all the one's listed in these two threads:

Top Five Comic Book Podcasts

and
    Podcasts - What are you listening to?

I would submit one I don't think was mentioned on either of those and it is the Geek League of America. Very well produced, funny, and comes out weekly. Check out their archives here.

Some podcast episodes have a short shelf-life (new releases, movie reviews, Previews, etc) but other episode types (Spotlights, interviews, shop talk) seem to be evergreen. CGS offers both types. That's probably why it remains my favorite.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Here's what is on my iphone at the moment:

Batgirl to Oracle: Barbara Gordon/Batgirl podcast

Daily Rios: Some guy from Philly talks comics/etc

Fire & Water Podcast: Aquaman & Firestorm, DC Who's Who, & more (lots of fun!)

Shazamcast: Recently launched Captain Marvel Podcast

James Bond Radio: Not comics, but all things 007

Idol-Head of Diabolou: Martian Manhunter podcast

Lonely Hearts Romance Comics Podcast

Holy Batcast!

Comic Book Central: Great interviews with comics-related media celebs

Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast: Great and funny show on movies & pop culture (not for kids' ears)

Here's the Thing: Newsmakers interviewed by Alec Baldwin

Comics News Insider

Dana Gould Hour: Comedian Dana Gould and fellow comics monthly show

You Must Remember This: Hollywood history (recently did a fine 10 part series on Manson Family killings)

Secret Origins Podcast: In-depth discussion of DC's 1980s Secret Origins series

Super-Mates: Married comic geeks discuss comics and movies

King-Sized Comics/Giant-Sized Fun

Riverdale Podcast: Weekly Archie Comics news and discussion

Beer & Loathing: MSNBC host Steve Kornacki interviews fellow reporters in NYC tavern

Monster Party

Radio vs. the Martians

Tales from the Longbox Podcast

DC TV Podcasts: Weekly recaps & discussion on DC tv shows

Damn Dirty Geeks!

The Carson Podcast: Celebs discuss legacy of Johnny Carson

Empire Magazine: Insightful UK film magazine writers discuss movie news and film reviews

Girl on Guy: Aisha Tyler interviews celebs

Geek History Lesson

Doug Loves Movies: Comedian Doug Benson hosts

Quiver Podcast: Weekly discussion of Arrow tv series

I Was There Too: Movie extras discuss their time on major film sets

Kumail Nanjiani's X-Files Files: X-Files talk by popular comedian

Entertainment Landfill: Weekly TV, movie, pop culture talk

Pulp 2 Pixels Podcast

Comedy Film Nerds: Stand-up comics do current movie reviews

Everything's Coming Up Podcast!: Simpsons episodes discussed often with show's writers and staff

Flowers & Fishnets: Black Canary podcast

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    If you're interested in a professional comic book artist interviewing other professional comic book artists, try Inkpulp Audio, with Shawn Crystal. http://inksplatter.tv/inkpulp/
    . Also Sidebar has some good artist interviews. http://www.sidebarnation.com/
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Inkpulp Audio is my favorite. Sidebar is usually very good as well.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I cant wait to start trying a few of these out next week during work.
  • Options
    JaxUr said:

Here's what is on my iphone at the moment:

Fire & Water Podcast: Aquaman & Firestorm, DC Who's Who, & more (lots of fun!)

Idol-Head of Diabolou: Martian Manhunter podcast

Secret Origins Podcast: In-depth discussion of DC's 1980s Secret Origins series

Super-Mates: Married comic geeks discuss comics and movies

I highly recommend these ones in particular. So many #FWpodcast family podcasts JaxUr. Do I know you or something? (Chad Bokelman BTW)

But anywho, the Secret Origins podcast in PARTICULAR is pretty amazing. My current favorite podcast if I'm being honest. Ryan does a great job.

Might I recommend a NEW podcast that is only one episode in (but they have a tumblr and a blog they post to in the meantime between episodes) Dorkness to Light. Alan and Emily Middleton (father and daughter) talk about pop culture (mostly comic based) and the religious undertones within the topic. For instance, episode one was about the religious implications and theology in Episode 9 of the DareDevil Netflix series. It's NOT just Christian stuff either. They plan on tackling alot of various religious topics. If you're into a more "indepth" perspective, I'd definitely recommend it.

• Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    No. I'm sure we've not met.
  • Options
    After 17 years, Chris Marshall of the Collected Comics Library podcast has decided to end the show. His marketing business has gotten really busy and he doesn't have time for the reviews, research and recording anymore.

The podcast began roughly the same time as CGS, and Chris even gives a shout out to Comic Geek Speak on his final blog post last night. CCL was a podcast and blog strictly for unbiased comic book collected editions and reprint news and reviews hosted by Chris Marshall that covered trades, hardcovers, and reprints. Frequently he could be heard going through the collected edition sales figures with John Mayo of the Comic Book Page podcast.

More here: http://www.collectedcomicslibrary.com/closing-the-library-doors/
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    My second favorite comic book podcast has come to an end. Fight For Comics was a great show. The guys were funny as heck and never failed to make me laugh.
  • Options
    Man CCL is gone. It feels like Chris has been doing it forever. He was in my rotation from back in the early days of podcasts.
    He was an every episode listen for a year or two; the last few years I'd check back in spurts.
    RIP Mr. Marshall.
  • Options
    Sorry I might have used some hyperbole. I enjoyed your show and good luck with your business
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Sorry I might have used some hyperbole. I enjoyed your show and good luck with your business

LOL. No problem. For a second I thought I should check my pulse.
  • Options

After 17 years, Chris Marshall of the Collected Comics Library podcast has decided to end the show. His marketing business has gotten really busy and he doesn't have time for the reviews, research and recording anymore.

The podcast began roughly the same time as CGS, and Chris even gives a shout out to Comic Geek Speak on his final blog post last night. CCL was a podcast and blog strictly for unbiased comic book collected editions and reprint news and reviews hosted by Chris Marshall that covered trades, hardcovers, and reprints. Frequently he could be heard going through the collected edition sales figures with John Mayo of the Comic Book Page podcast.

More here: http://www.collectedcomicslibrary.com/closing-the-library-doors/

Looks like Chris Marshall has decided to start his podcast back up. I just heard about it today from John Mayo, but Chris returned July 24. If you were a fan of his show, check him out again. If you've not heard of the Collected Comics Library, but you like to pick up collected editions (trades, hardcovers, etc), check him out. He's very good.

http://chrismarshallccl.tumblr.com/post/148460216702/im-back

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/collected-comics-library/id73331158?mt=2
  • Options