Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    bamfbamf said:

MORE COW BELL!!!

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/9/7/rumor-warners-wants-more-batman-in-batman-v-superman

RUMOR: Warners Wants More Batman In 'Batman v Superman'

Ah, the sweet stench of studio meddling.
  • Options
    the DC hate is palpable in all the comments
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    bamfbamf said:

the DC hate is palpable in all the comments

Most "DC hate" I've seen is frustrated DC love.

The hatred of this particular project is pretty well-earned.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    WetRats said:

frustrated DC love

Ought to be a new post-convergence title...

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    So, it's reported WB execs were so impressed by BvS:DoJ that they're shelving 2 Affleck projects to rush a Batman movie written, starring, & directed by Ben. That same version of the movie has put a pin in MoS2 and now reportedly caused a desire for less Kent in the movie.

Did you ever befriend a cute girl just to get introduced to her hot friend? Kent has become that cute girl!

I'm not a Kent fan, but if true, I feel bad for Cavill.

M
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    You'd think they would use this as an opportunity to boost Superman as well as bring in a new Batman. I don't see any reason why this can't lead to a new Batman trilogy as well as get people pumped up for what comes next with Superman.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

You'd think they would use this as an opportunity to boost Superman as well as bring in a new Batman. I don't see any reason why this can't lead to a new Batman trilogy as well as get people pumped up for what comes next with Superman.

Because the dark, gritty approach doesn't work well for Superman except as an occasional contrast to the "proper" Superman, and the people driving the DC cinematic locomotive are all about dark and gritty because Batman is dark and gritty and Batman puts butts in seats.

Television is the only real hope for the "Super" brand right now, as the Supergirl series appears to embrace the positivity and optimism that are essential to these characters.

Batman has become a cynical hero for cynical audiences and cynical executives.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

You'd think they would use this as an opportunity to boost Superman

How can you boost Superman and diminish him at the same time?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    WetRats said:

the people driving the DC cinematic locomotive are all about dark and gritty because Batman is dark and gritty and Batman puts butts in seats.

Television is the only real hope for the "Super" brand right now, as the Supergirl series appears to embrace the positivity and optimism that are essential to these characters.

Batman has become a cynical hero for cynical audiences and cynical executives.

I have very little optimism for the DC cinematic U. Seems the Nolan trilogy is what has become WB's benchmark / template for all other DC properties. They're understandably a bit gun shy after the abysmal performance of Green Lantern, but there are 4 well-known characters that have been Green Lantern, not so with Supes, Bats, or WW.

I'm much more impressed with DC's television decision makers.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

chrisw said:

You'd think they would use this as an opportunity to boost Superman

How can you boost Superman and diminish him at the same time?
    It's been some time since I read one of those "Superman Meets Batman for the first time" stories that crops up every few years, but I always recall them bringing out the best in both characters - bringing Superman down to earth a little, humanizing Batman some.

But, as you said, today they're all about dark and gritty, so neither of those things is probably going to be at the table.

It would just make more sense to me to make a variety of films, not just color everything with the same palette. I read Batman to get dark crime stories. I read Superman to get epic action. They''ve got all these great styles to choose from, but they seem dead set on doing everything like Nolan's trilogy, but filtered through less gifted creators.

Personally, as much as I appreciated what Nolan did, I also often found much of his work humorless and a little too full of itself. The only one I still enjoy watching is Dark Knight, and that's because the Joker at least livens things up. There's no reason why a Batman franchise can't be as much fun as the Bond films at their best. Same thing for Superman.
  • Options
    As someone who was jazzed for BvS:DoJ, my interest is waning. I feel fully satisfied with the interpretation of Batman from Nolan's trilogy. Hearing the execs, reportedly, want less Kent & more Batman (through a reported fast-tracked solo movie) makes me less interested.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

As someone who was jazzed for BvS:DoJ, my interest is waning. I feel fully satisfied with the interpretation of Batman from Nolan's trilogy. Hearing the execs, reportedly, want less Kent & more Batman (through a reported fast-tracked solo movie) makes me less interested.

M

I don't disagree with your response to that news @Matt, in fact, as far as the Nolan trilogy, I also feel like we've gotten a very satisfactory Batman arc. Too bad we aren't getting an older Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Wayne...

Zack Snyder addresses the heavy Batman emphasis in the upcoming BvS film in this Daily Beast article:
    “...it’s a different Batman than the Batman that was in the Chris Nolan movies, so we have a little bit more explaining to do—and you just had a whole Superman movie,” he explained. “But I think only in that way, because you need to understand where Batman is with everything. And that’s more toward the beginning, but it evens back out as it goes on.”
    I've stated many times in these forums, that I don't care for Snyder's aesthetic, so I have low interest in this movie, but I do plan to see it (with lowered expectations). I'd be interested in hearing what you would want to see in BvS, or some possible scenarios that would pique your interest.

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited September 2015
    DA YAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SH!T JUST GOT REAL!!!

http://collider.com/captain-america-3-sebastian-stan-zack-snyder-comments/

“Something about, ‘It’s not going to be your flavor-of-the-week Ant-Man.’ And I was like, ‘Oh thanks, Zack. That’s great. Way to do something original,'” Stan continued. “But I would say we’re still making something very original in our own way. I mean, the Russos' are coming in and taking something people are used to and they’re shaping it up and changing it in a very different way. They’re not trying to mimic a better Christopher Nolan movie or something like that.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    http://collider.com/dc-cinematic-universe-brain-trust-charles-roven/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

Producer Charles Roven Reveals the DC Brain Trust, How Directors Alter Their Plans

“I think also very much involved in that brain trust is John Berg, who is the executive vice president at Warner Bros. I would say the Snyders, myself, John Berg, and Geoff Johns would be sort of that Brain Trust… I’m working with great people. They’re all really great people. And not that we don’t—there are many times we agree, and there’s many times we don’t agree [and] we work it out.”

too bad Geoff Johns is mentioned last... probably means he has the least amount of input... it'd be better if Geoff was first and Snyder was last
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

http://collider.com/dc-cinematic-universe-brain-trust-charles-roven/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

Producer Charles Roven Reveals the DC Brain Trust, How Directors Alter Their Plans

“I think also very much involved in that brain trust is John Berg, who is the executive vice president at Warner Bros. I would say the Snyders, myself, John Berg, and Geoff Johns would be sort of that Brain Trust… I’m working with great people. They’re all really great people. And not that we don’t—there are many times we agree, and there’s many times we don’t agree [and] we work it out.”

too bad Geoff Johns is mentioned last... probably means he has the least amount of input... it'd be better if Geoff was first and Snyder was last

I find Johns to be highly overrated.

M
  • Options
    u didnt like his JSA run!??!
  • Options
    and BLACKEST NIGHT and his NEW 52 Aquaman??
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Didn't read any of those. Only his stuff on IC, some Flash, Sinestro War, & JLA. There's some good stuff, but when I see his name attached to a project, I don't go all weak in the knees.

M
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Personally, I've found Johns at his best working on less prominent characters. Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. and JSA were much more enjoyable to me than his work on Green Lantern, Flash, Superman, etc.

His work on big name properties either A seems determined to set things back to how they were decades ago, or B throws in ridiculous amounts of gore and violence.

I don't hate his work, but for someone so important to DC, I don't feel like I'll be looking back on his work years down the road with any fondness or nostalgia.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'll always respect Johns for making me give a damn about the Flash (Wally) and Green Lantern (all of them). JSA too.

I forgot that Infinite Crisis was him. And Sinestro Corps and Blackest Night are among my favorite modern-era events.

• Options
    I did enjoy his work on Flash, at least the Wally West era. I just thought it was a shame to see him do such a good job on that character, only to toss it aside when it was decided to bring Barry Allen back. Seeing Wally back in Convergence reminded me of how much more interesting I found him as the Flash than Barry.

And there's no denying that he made Green Lantern into a top tier character. I just found stuff like Blackest Night a little too morbid and downbeat for what I view as primarily a space adventure series.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    chrisw said:

I did enjoy his work on Flash, at least the Wally West era. I just thought it was a shame to see him do such a good job on that character, only to toss it aside when it was decided to bring Barry Allen back. Seeing Wally back in Convergence reminded me of how much more interesting I found him as the Flash than Barry.

And there's no denying that he made Green Lantern into a top tier character. I just found stuff like Blackest Night a little too morbid and downbeat for what I view as primarily a space adventure series.

You found a crossover where zombies rip out people's hears for energy to be morbid? I found it to be upbeat, and fun for the whole family!

;)

• Options
    chrisw said:

Personally, I've found Johns at his best working on less prominent characters. Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. and JSA were much more enjoyable to me than his work on Green Lantern, Flash, Superman, etc.

His work on big name properties either A seems determined to set things back to how they were decades ago, or B throws in ridiculous amounts of gore and violence.

I don't hate his work, but for someone so important to DC, I don't feel like I'll be looking back on his work years down the road with any fondness or nostalgia.

His run on JSA stands out to me as a near-perfect team book. They were presented as a family, and a living legacy, and it was, at times, quite touching. When DC dropped the "legacy" aspect of their universe, they lost what made them unique.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

I don't disagree with your response to that news @Matt, in fact, as far as the Nolan trilogy, I also feel like we've gotten a very satisfactory Batman arc. Too bad we aren't getting an older Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Wayne...

Zack Snyder addresses the heavy Batman emphasis in the upcoming BvS film in this Daily Beast article:
    “...it’s a different Batman than the Batman that was in the Chris Nolan movies, so we have a little bit more explaining to do—and you just had a whole Superman movie,” he explained. “But I think only in that way, because you need to understand where Batman is with everything. And that’s more toward the beginning, but it evens back out as it goes on.”
    I've stated many times in these forums, that I don't care for Snyder's aesthetic, so I have low interest in this movie, but I do plan to see it (with lowered expectations). I'd be interested in hearing what you would want to see in BvS, or some possible scenarios that would pique your interest.

I would like to see sunshine and at least one person smiling.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

Matt said:

M

I would like to see sunshine and at least one person smiling.

Kent smiled a couple times in Man of Steel.

M
  • Options
    While I do think the final Man of Steel battle dragged on way too long, I think you have to make it excessive or there's no reason for Batman to be pissed off.

I agree with the comments on DC not knowing how to do characters that aren't dark and gritty. Everything else has been treated like a joke. There are plenty of action/adventure movies that aren't dark, but are still taken seriously.
  • Options
    zikaatlaw said:

While I do think the final Man of Steel battle dragged on way too long, I think you have to make it excessive or there's no reason for Batman to be pissed off.

That's assuming that at the time of filming you know that your sequel is going to be Batman vs. Superman, which I don't believe was the case.
  • Options

zikaatlaw said:

That's assuming that at the time of filming you know that your sequel is going to be Batman vs. Superman, which I don't believe was the case.
    It seems like this backs up your assumption. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_v_Superman:_Dawn_of_Justice#Development
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm still interested in seeing this but I just don't have great expectations. I agree with whoever said they didn't like Snyder's aesthetic. It didn't work on a Superman movie and while I think it might work better for this movie, I'm just not as excited.