Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

April Solicitation Are Out! (February Previews 2016) | What Looks Good?

Comments

• Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited January 2016
    After a quick scan through these links these are a few things that caught my eye:

Bloodlines #1 (DC) - I know I'm in the minority but I actually enjoyed Convergence and am looking forward to seeing where DC goes with their next "event."

Grizzly Shark #1 (Image) - It's called Grizzly Shark and if I'm understanding the solicitation correctly it's about an animal that's a grizzly...and a shark. This is going to be awesome!

Micronauts #1 (IDW) - Not too crazy about the $4.99 price tag but it is Cullen Bunn writing the Micronauts and I'm sure DCBS will provide a nice discount.

Poppy! And The Lost Lagoon TP (Dark Horse) - This looks a little lighter in tone than most of the other Matt Kindt stuff I've read, That could be very interesting coming from a writer I mostly know for more psychological works.

Semiautomagic TP (Dark Horse) - I really dig Alex de Campi as a writer (the recent Grindhouse: Drive In, Bleed Out series was amazing) and with Jerry Ordway providing the art for these stories I'm sold. This trade looks to be an affordable alternative to buying all of the DHP issues.

Strawberry Shortcake #1 (IDW) - When I saw that the Purple Pie Man was going to be in this I immediately started humming his theme from the Strawberry Shortcake Musical Match-Ups Atari 2600 game. *sigh* I need a life.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Lazarus Sourcebook: Carlisle and Micronauts are the big attention grabbers for me.

I'm typically less than thrilled with what I've gotten from IDW - based on overall quality, I question the price - Valiant is consistently a better, in my eye, look for a lot less money. Still, Micronauts (and soon ROM), I have to give it a whirl.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Dept. H #1 — New Matt Kindt

How to Talk to Girls at Parties HC — Kinda pricey for the page count, but Gaiman, Ba, and Moon together! Might wait for the inevitable SC, might go ahead and get the HC.

Poppy! and the Lost Lagoon SC — Kindt and Brian Hurrt. How bad could it be?

Black Panther #1 — Stelfreeze! I'll give it a few issues.

Moon Knight #1 — Lemire on Moon Knight could be interesting. Worth a shot.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I'm also in on Star Wars: Poe Dameron #1, Mark Millar's Empress #1 (Icon), Micronauts #1

However, I DON'T like those $4.99 price points for every single Marvel #1 coming out. I realize they're all 40 pages, but is that just decompression or does the story warrant the page count?

Not saying I'm not buying, but I'm thinning out my Marvel pull list. C'mon, when we can still choose to pre-pay for a year of Marvel Unlimited ($5.60 a month), it gets a bit difficult to rationalize buying $5 comic books.

• Options

I'm also in on Star Wars: Poe Dameron #1, Mark Millar's Empress #1 (Icon), Micronauts #1

However, I DON'T like those $4.99 price points for every single Marvel #1 coming out. I realize they're all 40 pages, but is that just decompression or does the story warrant the page count?

Not saying I'm not buying, but I'm thinning out my Marvel pull list. C'mon, when we can still choose to pre-pay for a year of Marvel Unlimited ($5.60 a month), it gets a bit difficult to rationalize buying $5 comic books.

Only one of the many reasons that I've chosen to make mine other than Marvel.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Only one of the many reasons that I've chosen to make mine other than Marvel.
    That's proving less effective when it comes to strictly budgeting. That Micronauts #1 and ROM #1 are at the same price point. As are SEVERAL DC titles for the month...

• Options
    That's not the only factor but it's one of them. I do read some DC. Most of which have stayed at $2.99 and none of which double ship. I'm all in on Valiant - also at $2.99 and the DCBS bundle makes it even better.

I'll look long and hard at both ROM and Micronauts. I loved both books when Marvel was doing them but will have to see if the magic is still there. My last foray into IDW was Judge Dredd - it wasn't worth the time or the money from either an art or story standpoint IMO.
  • Options
    Valiant's great, and I pick up books from several publishers, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the Big 2 have generally taken up the majority portion of my collection.

Wonder if @Matt's interested in Dynamite's new limited series Shadow / Twilight Zone?
  • Options
    The Big 2 are also the majority of my collection but, at this point I only buy about 20 books a month and Valiant and Image represent more than half of them. Also, I haven't purchased a Marvel title since right around the end of the Brubaker Captain America. It will still be a very long time, sans purge, before any other single publisher comes close to the size of my Marvel, much less my DC collection.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I want to try valiant but it seems like all sorcery and ninjas and swords and stuff I dislike. Any more traditional books in their line?
  • Options
    You could try Divinity, Archer & Armstrong, Faith, or Ivar Timewalker
  • Options
    @bralinator I've actually been curious about Ivar ever since I read a Valiant preview book featuring him a while ago. Is right now a good time to jump on or should I start from the beginning?
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Give Bloodshot Reborn a go. That's more traditional. It's written by Jeff Oemire and is also gonna be the first Valiant movie, coming 2017 I believe!

One note though... All Valiant books are priced 3.99. But as an Indie piblisher and the fact that they're really good I'm happy to pay the price.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I'll also be picking up the new Divinity 2 book. Hoping for another prestige format beaut.
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150

@bralinator I've actually been curious about Ivar ever since I read a Valiant preview book featuring him a while ago. Is right now a good time to jump on or should I start from the beginning?

I would start from the beginning, because it's worth it :)
    luke52 said:

Give Bloodshot Reborn a go. That's more traditional. It's written by Jeff Oemire and is also gonna be the first Valiant movie, coming 2017 I believe!

Agreed, Reborn has been excellent.

The whole Valiant line has done very well in our shop, and it is starting to get a more consistent buzz, similar to Image. IDW has really fallen off lately in our store, as the amount of licensed titles creeps up for each line, it is fracturing and disenfranchising people. The most stable IDW book for us is the mainline TMNT book.
  • Options
    All very good suggestions.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2016
    Marvel is definitely getting even more piggish on prices with those $5 first issues. They are the hardest ones for retailers to have to bet on, and that higher price is an even harder thing to see them have to bet on, and then end up in a dollar box.

Also, a greedy move, as a reader of their new (excellent) Doctor Strange series-- this month there is Doctor Strange #7, featuring part 2 of the latest storyline. Do you know where you have to go to get part 1?:
    DOCTOR STRANGE: LAST DAYS OF MAGIC #1
    JASON AARON, GERRY DUGGAN & JAMES ROBINSON (W)
    MIKE PERKINS, DANILO BEYRUTH and AFU CHAN (A)
    Cover by MIKE PERKINS
    VARIANT COVER BY KEVIN MAGUIRE
    VARIANT COVER BY SHANE DAVIS
    This companion to the “LAST DAYS OF MAGIC” epic! THE EMPIRIKUL, led by The Imperator, are destroying all magic and magic users in the Marvel Universe. Jason Aaron brings you Doctor Strange and Wong’s secret history and the ultimate sacrifice that Wong makes! Gerry Duggan shows Brother Voodoo’s stand against the evil magic-eaters. James Robinson introduces a new magic figure in the Marvel U just in time for her last stand!
    56 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T+ …$5.99
    So if you are a Dr. Strange reader, instead of being able to just go from #6 to #7, if you want to actually start the next storyline at the beginning, you ALSO are supposed to get a $6 comic in which part 1 of the new storyline, by Aaron and Bachalo, is only 1/3 of the book. That's a shitty move. It feels like a cash grab off the back of a hot book. I actually don't mind double-shipping, if you are getting an extra issue in a given month of the same book, with the same team (or, at least, the same writer) at the same price. But that is not what this is. I'm glad they didn't do anything like this during the early days of Hawkeye- having a part of one of the storylines anchoring a more expensive anthology issue.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Marvel is definitely getting even more piggish on prices with those $5 first issues. They are the hardest ones for retailers to have to bet on, and that higher price is an even harder thing to see them have to bet on, and then end up in a dollar box.

Also, a greedy move, as a reader of their new (excellent) Doctor Strange series-- this month there is Doctor Strange #7, featuring part 2 of the latest storyline. Do you know where you have to go to get part 1?:

Cover by MIKE PERKINS
    This companion to the “LAST DAYS OF MAGIC” epic! THE EMPIRIKUL, led by The Imperator, are destroying all magic and magic users in the Marvel Universe. Jason Aaron brings you Doctor Strange and Wong’s secret history and the ultimate sacrifice that Wong makes! Gerry Duggan shows Brother Voodoo’s stand against the evil magic-eaters. James Robinson introduces a new magic figure in the Marvel U just in time for her last stand!
    So if you are a Dr. Strange reader, instead of being able to just go from #6 to #7, if you want to actually start the next storyline at the beginning, you ALSO are supposed to get a $6 comic in which part 1 of the new storyline, by Aaron and Bachalo, is only 1/3 of the book. That's a shitty move. It feels like a cash grab off the back of a hot book. I'm glad they didn't do anything like this during the early days of Hawkeye.

Yep. This is why I just jumped off. It's great, but not $10 of my monthly budget great. I'll look for it in the dollar bins or EBay tpb in a year. Marvel is has taken my loyalty for granted for far too long.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    That said, there are still some books I am really enjoying coming out of Marvel. Though, as @bralinator mentioned, knowing I can catch up on a lot of things later on Marvel Unlimited, combined with their price points, makes me buy less of their books than I used to.

Though one I definitely will try, both because I love the character, and am excited by the creative team--
    BLACK PANTHER #1
    TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • BRIAN STELFREEZE (A/C)
    VARIANT COVER BY ALEX ROSS
    VARIANT COVER BY OLIVIER COIPEL
    HIP-HOP VARIANT COVER BY BRIAN STELFREEZE
    CONNECTING VARIANT COVER A BY SANFORD GREENE
    DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY BRIAN STELFREEZE
    BLACK PANTHER 50TH ANNIVERSARY VARIANT COVER BY FELIPE SMITH
    VARIANT COVER BY RYAN SOOK
    YOUNG VARIANT COVER BY SKOTTIE YOUNG
    GAME VARIANT COVER BY KABAM
    BLANK COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    A new era for the Black Panther starts here!
    Written by MacArthur Genius and National Book Award winner TA-NEHISI COATES (Between the World and Me) and illustrated by living legend BRIAN STELFREEZE, “A Nation Under Our Feet” is a story about dramatic upheaval in Wakanda and the Black Panther’s struggle to do right by his people as their ruler. The indomitable will of Wakanda — the famed African nation known for its vast wealth, advanced technology and warrior traditions — has long been reflected in the will of its monarchs, the Black Panthers. But now the current Black Panther, T’Challa, finds that will tested by a superhuman terrorist group called The People that has sparked a violent uprising among the citizens of Wakanda. T’Challa knows the country must change to survive — the question is, will the Black Panther survive the change?
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

I am also excited by the Poe Dameron book, but will wait and either read it on MU, or hopefully get the codes from a buddy of mine who collects a lot of Star Wars (and doesn't use his codes!)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    David_D said:

Cover by MIKE PERKINS
    So if you are a Dr. Strange reader, instead of being able to just go from #6 to #7, if you want to actually start the next storyline at the beginning, you ALSO are supposed to get a $6 comic in which part 1 of the new storyline, by Aaron and Bachalo, is only 1/3 of the book. That's a shitty move. It feels like a cash grab off the back of a hot book. I actually don't mind double-shipping, if you are getting an extra issue in a given month of the same book, with the same team (or, at least, the same writer) at the same price. But that is not what this is. I'm glad they didn't do anything like this during the early days of Hawkeye- having a part of one of the storylines anchoring a more expensive anthology issue.

Now this is a straight 90s dick move. I don't complain about Marvel's publishing policy often, but damn Marvel.
  • Options
    David_D said:

hopefully get the codes from a buddy of mine who collects a lot of Star Wars (and doesn't use his codes!)

We all need more friends like that :)

• Options

David_D said:

hopefully get the codes from a buddy of mine who collects a lot of Star Wars (and doesn't use his codes!)

We all need more friends like that :)

I know, right?
  • Options
    For the Image solicits--

A 64 page Criminal special. Now THAT'S a comic I want to pay five bucks for!

great to see Wood (with Brown and McCraig) doing more Viking comics with Black Road.

I love Steve Lieber, so he and Spencer on a sort of dark comedy crime comic like The Fix sounds great.

Any month with a new issue of Saga is a good month.

Anyone been reading Ringside? I thought the art looked great, but at $4/issue was reluctant to read the singles. But am considering the trade (especially with the cheap introductory price). But was curious if anyone has been enjoying it.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    David_D said:

For the Image solicits--

Amen

• Options
    David_D said:

Didn't notice that one—though I'm sure I'd have seen it in the catalog anyway. Criminal is on my pull list, so my shop will get one for me automatically even if I hadn't seen it. ’Cause that's how my shop rolls.
    David_D said:

I love Steve Lieber, so he and Spencer on a sort of dark comedy crime comic like The Fix sounds great.

I like Steve’s work a lot as well (I should post the Hawkman commission he did for me sometime), but Spencer is not a definite for me, so I'm playing wait-and-see on this one.
    David_D said:

Anyone been reading Ringside? I thought the art looked great, but at $4/issue was reluctant to read the singles. But am considering the trade (especially with the cheap introductory price). But was curious if anyone has been enjoying it.

I'm curious about it myself. Anyone?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    David_D said:

So if you are a Dr. Strange reader, instead of being able to just go from #6 to #7, if you want to actually start the next storyline at the beginning, you ALSO are supposed to get a $6 comic in which part 1 of the new storyline, by Aaron and Bachalo, is only 1/3 of the book.

Good bye, Dr. Stephen Strange. I hardly knew ye.

• Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited January 2016
    David_D said:

I read the first two issues and am really digging it so far. It's written by Joe Keatinge who's also currently writing Shutter, another book I've been enjoying.

If it's not in your budget to buy the individual issues I would certainly recommend giving this series a read in trade. However, if you can get a hold of the singles they're worth the money.

The first issue has an interview with Joe and artist Nick Barber in which they discuss at length their inspiration for the series and the long process of finally finding it a home at Image. Joe also discusses his love for wrestling and comics and how they relate.
  • Options

David_D said:

I read the first two issues and am really digging it so far. It's written by Joe Keatinge who's also currently writing Shutter, another book I've been enjoying.

If it's not in your budget to buy the individual issues I would certainly recommend giving this series a read in trade. However, if you can get a hold of the singles they're worth the money.

The first issue has an interview with Joe and artist Nick Barber in which they discuss at length their inspiration for the series and the long process of finally finding it a home at Image. Joe also discusses his love for wrestling and comics and how they relate.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I'm curious about this new publisher, American Mythology. They're releasing a Three Stooges comic in April. I have to check the actual Previews Catalog for more info, but has anyone heard of this publisher?

As-tu, @nweathington ?
  • Options

I'm curious about this new publisher, American Mythology. They're releasing a Three Stooges comic in April. I have to check the actual Previews Catalog for more info, but has anyone heard of this publisher?

As-tu, @nweathington ?

I don't know much about them other than what Mark Wheatley has posted on Facebook. I checked out their website, but there's not a whole lot there. I know a couple of people who'll be doing work for them, but that's it.

It looks like they're starting with three licensed books: Pink Panther, Stargate: Atlantis, and Three Stooges, but are looking to do original books at some point too.

In other words, they look to be trying to follow in the footsteps of IDW and Boom! Whether or not they'll be successful is anyone's guess at this point.