Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Comics Rebirth #1 - SPOILERS -

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Just read it this morning while getting ready for work. It wasn’t bad, considering it’s just an advertisement for DC’s new line of books. But, yeah, Geoff, meet Kettle. I think you two have a lot in common.
    Brack said:

Morrison just did the "there are forces outside our comic book universe making it darker" bit in Multiversity with The Gentry.

And at least that had the decency to blame publishers', writers' and readers' thirst for blood rather than Alan Moore.

Plus it's easier to take being preached to by the guy who wrote Flex Mentallo than it is from the guy who wrote Infinite Crisis.

I would also point to Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang’s wonderful “Doctor 13” backup feature which depicted Didio, Johns, and Lee as the villainous Architects behind the dismissiveness shown to all the fun, sometimes silly C-list characters, who could be seen as stand-ins for the sense of fun that used to run through DC’s line, but which has been exceedingly rare the past couple of decades.

I love a good metatextual story as much as the next guy, but 1) Morrison’s handling of it in Multiversity was much more clever and subtle, and 2) as quoted above, Morrison pointed the finger to the true culprits, whereas Johns is using Watchmen here as a scapegoat for decades’ worth of editorial and creative attempts to duplicate Watchmen’s critical and financial success.

You know, now that I think about it, powers (or the lack thereof) aside, wouldn’t Frank Miller’s Dark Knight be the more apt representative to be the vill—excuse me, antagonist here? Dark Knight Returns has had a much more direct impact on DC’s comics, TV, and movies the past 30 years than Watchmen has. Just look at BvS. But, wait, DC is still on good terms with Frank, while Alan doesn’t want to have anything to do with them. So Dr. Manhattan it is.
  • Options
    And just so I don't come off as being completely negative about Rebirth #1, I think the best part of choosing Wally West to be the centerpoint of the story, is having his prominently yellow costume brighten the pages on which he appears. It’s a nice reflection of the hope he is supposed to be bringing back to the DCU.

Now to listen to the episode!
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    The absolute worst part of Rebirth was whatever accent that was coming out of John Constantine's mouth.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    David_D said:

Brack said:

Morrison just did the "there are forces outside our comic book universe making it darker" bit in Multiversity with The Gentry.

And at least that had the decency to blame publishers', writers' and readers' thirst for blood rather than Alan Moore.

Plus it's easier to take being preached to by the guy who wrote Flex Mentallo than it is from the guy who wrote Infinite Crisis.

Exactly.

Geoff Johns has had a hand on the tiller of the DCU--as a writer of their most high profile books, as well as in various levels of management-- for 10 years now.

Rebirth is his, what, second or third relaunch/reboot?

He has been Chief Creative Officer of DC Comics since 2010.

He was an Executive Producer on Batman V Superman.

I think it is a little rich for him to be repudiating those 416 pages of Watchmen from 30 years ago as having all this power over these characters (and, I guess, him?) now. Like Moore and Gibbons are still stuffing him in a locker.

How many tens of thousands of pages has Johns written-- and overseen as CCO-- in those 30 years between Watchmen and now?

If he wants to make good, hopeful, loving superhero comics, then why hasn't he done so in all those years?

Real talk: having Watchmen characters in the Rebirth era is making a buck in one of the oldest, shrewdest ways Big Two comics know. And that is not surprising. It's Big 2 corporate comics, in the Internet age. I know the game is the game. And everything is game. And even one of your few, actual classics is not safe from being treated as just more 'toys in the toybox' and used to generate some cheap heat.

But I think what really gets me-- more than their timid idea of looking backwards to Watchmen to generate controversy, rather than focusing forward on Rebirth and what is new-- are these claims by Johns that this is some big, grand attempt of finally snatching love and hope for superheroes away from the darkness and cynicism of Watchmen.

Rubbish.

This is not 'deconstructing the deconstruction'. This is Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman.

Except in this more cynical case, imagine in the 1940s, if the suits at Universal Studios gave interviews claiming that the Wolf Man would be meeting and fighting Frankenstein to finally get away from how that terrible meanie James Whale stole all the love from monster movies back in 1931.

• Options
    Brack said:

Saw some amusing speculation about how Marvel will no doubt drop a new trailer or announce who's playing Captain Marvel this week in order to steal DC's thunder. Again.

Surely they should announce that Marvelman is joining the Marvel Universe.
    No, they’ll announce that Marvelman is still trapped in the lab of Dr. Gargunza, and is dreaming that Steve Rogers has really been a Hydra agent all along.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited May 2016
    Meanwhile, over in the manga world, I'm reading some great books about a girl who doesn't think everyone else in the neighborhood thinks she's a robot when they've all known it for years (Nichijou), a comic book creator defending his city against a zombie invasion that's perhaps the most insightful look at how comic books are made (I am a Hero), and the spiritual successor to Labyrinth (Ancient Magus' Bride).

How's everything going in DC and Marv...ooooh....okay then...

/closes door.

:)
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Torchsong said:

Meanwhile, over in the manga world, I'm reading some great books about a girl who doesn't think everyone else in the neighborhood thinks she's a robot when they've all known it for years (Nichijou), a comic book creator defending his city against a zombie invasion that's perhaps the most insightful look at how comic books are made (I am a Hero), and the spiritual successor to Labyrinth (Ancient Magus' Bride).

/closes door.

Dynamite Entertainment is doing well!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Torchsong said:

/closes door.

Dynamite Entertainment is doing well!

M
    Speaking of Dynamite, have you guys seen the latest Groupee deal?! It's sweet.
  • Options
    Hey. It's a great deal though :)

LOL

(seriously, check it out)
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Read it. Dug it. Did not take issue with the suggestion the Dr Manhattan had been involved in creating this universe. The text throughout refers to multiple meddlers causing the loss of legacy. My own, more forgiving read wasn't so much that the blame was being placed at the feet of Watchmen as the pressure from multiple forces to emulate Watchmen (and DKR) such as editorial, readers, sales were the culprits. Manhattan is simply the avatar of that. Given that Manhattan is an all powerful god character, I'm fine with him being the avatar for it within the context of the story.
  • Options
    I'm sure Alan Moore is down with it. I mean, why wouldn't he be?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I think sometimes Alan Moore wishes he had the Flash's ability to go back in time and prevent the Alan Moore of the 1980s from creating Watchmen.

Not that he didn't cash the check or anything, but I still think he'd do it. :)
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Torchsong said:

I think sometimes Alan Moore wishes he had the Flash's ability to go back in time and prevent the Alan Moore of the 1980s from creating Watchmen.

I think he'd rather have put in a reversion clause based on time elapsed and not "when the book is out of print for a year.":

• Options

Torchsong said:

I think he'd rather have put in a reversion clause based on time elapsed and not "when the book is out of print for a year.":

I have no doubt about that.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    edited May 2016
    On 4/19, I posted this picture (from Crisis on Infinite Earths #7) in the thread "Episode 1601 Talkback - Previews," stating that I thought it'd be this hand which'd be the mysterious hand reaching out to our heroes on the previewed cover for DC Universe Rebirth #1:

And here is the now much talked about page from the "Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan" miniseries:

So what do you think? Same hand?
  • Options

And the DC Universe Rebirth hand.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The hand coming through the lightning in the Rebirth panels could be viewed just as easily as a hand reaching down though a stream of water.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Other than Grayson I have been out of the DC game pretty much. I loved the Rebirth #1 though, thought it was fun and exciting, but I also was very much confused. I guess I was expecting some definitive answer on what actually happened. I know what Geoff Johns told me that it"s the combining of past and present, but other than Wally I didn't see anything like that. Am I missing something? Obviously the point is to leave you with questions so you will buy more books. Would someone explain what I am supposed to leave this comic knowing? Is there more to come in this storyline and I just don't understand it?
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    Now that DC Rebirth is out, what is the POINT of Convergence? Having conversations over on Twitter about Convergence (specific to GL) reading order and it got me thinking.
    So Convergence gave us Lois & Clark in this Universe, which now according to DC Rebirth means that the New 52 Supes is replaced by THAT Clark instead. We also get Jon Kent so now Super Sons. So, other than the implications tied to Lois & Clark....what's the point of Convergence?

Telos has his own series and now it's cancelled, ending by leaving him trapped in an alternate universe which he "can't" escape.

Parallax (Zero Hour Parallax) also entered our universe with Lois & Clark, but he showed up in the Green Lantern series but that resulted in basically nothing. So, as powerful as he is, in story, as it stands, he's a non entity.

The story gave us the multiverse back, but the new DC Rebirth titles don't YET have a title focused on another Earth (though, supposedly, there will be a classic JSA series soonish).

Convergence was also meant to kinda be a love letter/fond farewell to the classic DC people missed so much. It was a nostalgic flashback. But now DC Rebirth is bringing that back to the whole universe going forward (supposedly).

So I ask again, other than Lois & Clark, what was the point of Convergence?

(Hope this isn't TOO off topic. It is related TO Rebirth! lol)
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

Now that DC Rebirth is out, what is the POINT of Convergence? Having conversations over on Twitter about Convergence (specific to GL) reading order and it got me thinking.
    So Convergence gave us Lois & Clark in this Universe, which now according to DC Rebirth means that the New 52 Supes is replaced by THAT Clark instead. We also get Jon Kent so now Super Sons. So, other than the implications tied to Lois & Clark....what's the point of Convergence?

Telos has his own series and now it's cancelled, ending by leaving him trapped in an alternate universe which he "can't" escape.

Parallax (Zero Hour Parallax) also entered our universe with Lois & Clark, but he showed up in the Green Lantern series but that resulted in basically nothing. So, as powerful as he is, in story, as it stands, he's a non entity.

The story gave us the multiverse back, but the new DC Rebirth titles don't YET have a title focused on another Earth (though, supposedly, there will be a classic JSA series soonish).

Convergence was also meant to kinda be a love letter/fond farewell to the classic DC people missed so much. It was a nostalgic flashback. But now DC Rebirth is bringing that back to the whole universe going forward (supposedly).

(Hope this isn't TOO off topic. It is related TO Rebirth! lol)

Convergence? What is that? Never heard of it...Don't look over in those back issue bins...look over here at these shiny new issues of Rebirth. :wink:
  • Options

It was to make sure that there were comics coming out while the DC personnel were being moved (converging) from the NY to the Burbank office..
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Other than the obvious visual impact of having it appear on the last page is there any explanation or theory as to how the Comedian's blood splashed button comes to be in the Batcave?

If I recall correctly it was last seen when Dan Dreiberg (Watchmen's Batman/Blue Beetle analogue) tossed it down onto Edward Blake's coffin.
  • Options
    I don't have the issue in front of me but doesn't Wally make a comment along the way about things seeping into the DCU everytime he tries to come through? I just took it as one of those things that popped onto the DC Earth.
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Other than the obvious visual impact of having it appear on the last page is there any explanation or theory as to how the Comedian's blood splashed button comes to be in the Batcave?

My theory is Rebirth is the new DC Challenge, and Johns has left that to the next writer to figure out.
  • Options
    Caliban said:

If I recall correctly it was last seen when Dan Dreiberg (Watchmen's Batman/Blue Beetle analogue) tossed it down onto Edward Blake's coffin.

I am guessing that Batman will run an analysis on the dried blood on the button, and his search for a DNA match (or match to some other facet of the sample) will lead him through his search for answers as to where the button came from / what it means / how it got into the Batcave.
  • Options
    Hoping it'll be revealed that Doctor Manhattan has been messing with the DC universe ever since The Question #17 (the issue where Vic Sage (zen version) reads Watchmen and thinks Rorschach sucks).

• Options
    You can see something hitting the batcave wall as Wally is sucked back into his limbo. I think that may be the button.
  • Options
    Slightly off-topic, but related to Rebirth #1. Apparently sales of the 80-page special at $2.99 were so good, they've gone to a second printing. But, instead of it being the same price as the first printing, they've doubled it to $5.99!

Anyone remember what Dan Didio said at Wondercon?:

This is our commitment to you. We're bringing the price of our books down. We're bringing the line down to $2.99. Okay? You guys are out there buying comic books. We want to make sure you're gonna be able to afford the comics and enjoy the comics. This is about making great stories and making them a way that you can buy them. So we're bringing the line down to $2.99. Okay? So that's it.

And again, we're putting our money where our mouth is. We're gonna show you that we believe in our books more, we're gonna bring more people in. This isn't about selling less books at higher prices to less people. This is about selling more books to more people/ We want the biggest fanbase as possible because we have the greatest fans of all.
    To be fair, this is squarebound, so that does cost a bit more, and Marvel would probably be charging $7.99 for it. So which of you DC fanboys out there is going to double-dip?
  • Options
    It would be triple dipping for me as I have the regular issue coming from DCBS and I bought it digitally...that being said, I will not be buying this.