Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ghostbusters (2016) | Movie News/ Discussion *Now Spoilers*

Comments

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    They're making more of the muppet style cameo. For example, in one scene (supposedly) the gals hop in a taxi driven by joe shmo Dan ackroid. One of them is in their cell and ackroid asks... "Who ya gonna call?" Or something similar. Pure Gold. Given the fact Bill Murray didn't commit to appearing until very late in the game, I can't imagine his cameo is anything more substantial. I can see him passing through as a ghost.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Comedy gold. New trailer dropped today. Wanted to share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5YUUVKfVh4
  • Options
    This is kind of odd, funny, and weird. Dad insists he is going with the "unpopular opinion" because he is on a mission since he knows his 5 year old kids are going to love it.

No comment on how "scary" the PG-13 film is going to wind up being and whether or not 5 year olds should see this, they WILL see it and they WILL love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3-BxrlKjEE
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This still doesn't look that good a all, but I'm not going to rage about it.

Hell, I'll watch it via cable... Or Kodi ;)
  • Options

This still doesn't look that good a all,

Is Kodi better than Plex?
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377

I use both and Kodi seems a little more intuitive plus has way more support and regular updates
  • Options

I'd say Kodi.

It's on my ipad, Laptop, and Amazon Fire Stick.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I'd say Kodi.

Is is Zune compatible?

(Not a real question. I just saw an opportunity for a Zune joke.)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    David_D said:

I'd say Kodi.

Is is Zune compatible?

(Not a real question. I just saw an opportunity for a Zune joke.)
    Not many opportunities for those. :p
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    The trailers have really done nothing for me. But yet I hope it is a success just to shut up the misyoginistic trolls who are against the film because eww girls.
  • Options
    Seems like anyone who tries to say "this trailer looks bad" or "this looks like a cash in" or "what is the purpose of this remake?" are immediately called "mysoginists." Would the same be true if there were remakes being made with all-female stars, of such classics as 'The Jerk', 'Caddyshack', or better yet, 'Stripes', starring Melissa McCarthy and Amy Poehler - if the trailers came out this bad?

After three "meh" trailers and a weak (leaked) script, I don't suspect this movie is going to do that well. And even if the movie sucks, I anticipate support and high praise from SJW's and/or bad reviews and dislikes on YouTube by mysoginists & MRAs. Maybe we should just let the movie stand on its own merit? That way, maybe Hollywood will eventually stop taking beloved IP's and expecting we'll just eat them up in spite of casting stunts or weak scripts? (I.e. Ghostbusters, Jumanji, Vacation, etc.) The studio is probably all too willing willing to amplify the dissenters and toss out the "mysoginy" label in order to take attention away from the obvious weaknesses of the film.

My problem isn't that they have a female cast. I wouldn't be any more interested if the leads were Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Kevin James, and Chris Rock. You don't remake a classic. A sequel - maybe.

Even the most popular reason to support this, that it gives little girls their own Ghostbusters, falls flat when you check out the script. You quickly know it isn't suitable for that age group. And Paul Feig, the director, says it will be "pants shitting scary" - it's going for a PG-13 rating. Will there be parents who insist on taking their 5 yr olds to this movie in hopes of either recapturing the nostalgia of the 1984 original or, at the very least, proving the mysoginists wrong? Probably. Gonna be a LOT of scared little kiddies at this flick that opening weekend and I expect some disappointed parents as well.

Girls have been cosplaying GB for years, they don't need this movie to do that.
  • Options
    What a shitstorm! And the internet media tried to make the Angry Video Game Nerd :James Wolfe) the fallguy for their "misogynistic" narrative.

Though all they really did was give him more publicity and revenue.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    This new trailer was much better then the first. The ghosts just don't look good.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Sometimes I like kicking a hornets' nest.

This movie looks amazing. Way better then the original. In fact, based on the first trailer, it'll overshadow the original!!

M
  • Options

Seems like anyone who tries to say "this trailer looks bad" or "this looks like a cash in" or "what is the purpose of this remake?" are immediately called "mysoginists." Would the same be true if there were remakes being made with all-female stars, of such classics as 'The Jerk', 'Caddyshack', or better yet, 'Stripes', starring Melissa McCarthy and Amy Poehler - if the trailers came out this bad?

After three "meh" trailers and a weak (leaked) script, I don't suspect this movie is going to do that well. And even if the movie sucks, I anticipate support and high praise from SJW's and/or bad reviews and dislikes on YouTube by mysoginists & MRAs. Maybe we should just let the movie stand on its own merit? That way, maybe Hollywood will eventually stop taking beloved IP's and expecting we'll just eat them up in spite of casting stunts or weak scripts? (I.e. Ghostbusters, Jumanji, Vacation, etc.) The studio is probably all too willing willing to amplify the dissenters and toss out the "mysoginy" label in order to take attention away from the obvious weaknesses of the film.

My problem isn't that they have a female cast. I wouldn't be any more interested if the leads were Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Kevin James, and Chris Rock. You don't remake a classic. A sequel - maybe.

Even the most popular reason to support this, that it gives little girls their own Ghostbusters, falls flat when you check out the script. You quickly know it isn't suitable for that age group. And Paul Feig, the director, says it will be "pants shitting scary" - it's going for a PG-13 rating. Will there be parents who insist on taking their 5 yr olds to this movie in hopes of either recapturing the nostalgia of the 1984 original or, at the very least, proving the mysoginists wrong? Probably. Gonna be a LOT of scared little kiddies at this flick that opening weekend and I expect some disappointed parents as well.

I'm not implying everyone that doesn't want to see the movie or thinks the movie looks bad is mysoginistic.
  • Options
    DAR said:

I'm not implying everyone that doesn't want to see the movie or thinks the movie looks bad is mysoginistic.

Good.

In many parts of the wild, wild internet several people are.

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I don't know. It doesn't look bad but it just seems like they are recycling the original movie but doing a gender swapping gimmick. I'm not as down with this as I was when I first heard about this.
  • Options

DAR said:

Good.

In many parts of the wild, wild internet several people are.

Believe I have problems with the people that are just as quick to shout woman hater or racist as I do those who won't see a film for those very reasons.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

I've had zero interest in seeing this movie but anyone throwing around SJW makes me want to do the exact opposite. Sad Puppy much?
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I've had zero interest in seeing this movie but anyone throwing around SJW makes me want to do the exact opposite. Sad Puppy much?

People throwing around MRA and misogynist compels me to do just the opposite. Not a "sad puppy" - I'm much more like a "rabid puppy" if that's going to be your take. Instead of going to see Girlpower GB2016, I think I'll just stay home and re-read Space Raptor Butt Invasion,
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

People throwing around MRA and misogynist compels me to do just the opposite. Not a "sad puppy" - I'm much more like a "rabid puppy" if that's going to be your take. Instead of going to see Girlpower GB2016, I think I'll just stay home and re-read Space Raptor Butt Invasion,
    It all makes so much more sense now.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

It all makes so much more sense now.

I'm an enabler.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Whatever you may think of the upcoming movie, if you like Ghostbusters comics (and I have read some of these, and thought they were great) you should check out the current humble bundle.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited July 2016
    I saw the movie first day with my son and I liked it and he loved it and wants to see it again. I did not show him the first one. I decided I wouldn't press it on him and he can see it when he wants. As expected I liked the cast. Holtzman and Kevin (Hemsworth) stole the show for me.

There were some good jokes and I like the updates but the movie had a sameness with the action from the previous movies. I think and action director could do more with it. Also the villain was kind of creepy but I would have gotten Patton Oswalt if he was available. He would have been so much better.

I am guessing they will update the uniforms. Get an action director to helm the next one. And no more saving New York or in this case Boston standing in for New York. And no more utilize the giant antagonist at the end. That's old. Better than Ghostbusters 2. I laughed.

I give it 3 out of 5 Proton Packs!
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    I'm not sure it needed an action director as much as it didn't need the obvious (studio?) edits in the last third.

There's a whole sequence that seems to have been cut from the movie and put in the credits, and a weird time jump with Erin where the others act like she's been gone longer than she appears to have been gone on screen.

That being said, enjoyed it a lot, definitely better than Ghostbusters 2 and approaching peak Real Ghostbusters quality (which is what it reminded me of most in the nature of the antagonist and the climatic sequence).
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    No desire to watch this, either in the theatre or on DVD. Not everything needs to be remade. Not every "movie happening" is worth my time and money. Interesting to see the entertainment media's desperate need to make this a hit, going so far as to frame it as some sort of referendum on female-centric blockbusters. How ridiculous.
  • Options
    I should mention that I would have liked the movie more if it did take place in the original Ghostbusters movie continuity. I like the deal of a mantel being picked up. They sort of did but not fully.
  • Options
    Didn't they kill off Bill Murray's character?
  • Options

I guess so. He fell out a window but they never showed the body. No body no death! :)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I guess so. He fell out a window but they never showed the body. No body no death! :)
    Maybe in a ghost cameo in the next one?