Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ghostbusters (2016) | Movie News/ Discussion *Now Spoilers*

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

We're really getting off thread topic here, but I'd prefer media report the stories instead of create the narrative for the stories. We've gotten to a point where there's zero veil of objectivity.

Yes, it is very difficult to find true objectivity in the media, particularly when it comes to internet outlets and national television. But having spent 11 years working in a newsroom for a newspaper, I can honestly tell you there are still many newspapers out there who maintain their objectivity.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Matt said:

We're really getting off thread topic here, but I'd prefer media report the stories instead of create the narrative for the stories. We've gotten to a point where there's zero veil of objectivity.

Yes, it is very difficult to find true objectivity in the media, particularly when it comes to internet outlets and national television. But having spent 11 years working in a newsroom for a newspaper, I can honestly tell you there are still many newspapers out there who maintain their objectivity.
    What's a newspaper?

:smiley:
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Matt said:

What's a newspaper?

I think you’ve recycled that joke more times than the paper we used to print on. :smiley:

Doesn’t make it any less true, unfortunately.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Torchsong said:

Matt said:

What's a newspaper?

Isn't that what Ben Franklin created when he typed out stories on his Commodore 64 & printed on his daisy wheel printer?

M
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Newspapers were talked about last night in a history class I am taking. Most of the class is 18-20 yrs old and nearly all of them said they have never read a newspaper.
  • Options

Newspapers were talked about last night in a history class I am taking. Most of the class is 18-20 yrs old and nearly all of them said they have never read a newspaper.

We just got a landline again. To test the new phone jack I installed, I borrowed my grandmother's extra phone. I brought it home & plugged it in. My 31yo wife asked what it was. Apparently, she's never seen (or used) a rotary phone.
  • Options
    She never played with one of these as a kid? My kids loved that thing.
  • Options

Apparently not. Ashame, because that was one of my favorite toys too.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Apparently not. Ashame, because that was one of my favorite toys too.
    Now you know what to get your youngest for Christmas this year. You’re welcome! :)
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Matt said:

We just got a landline again. To test the new phone jack I installed, I borrowed my grandmother's extra phone. I brought it home & plugged it in. My 31yo wife asked what it was. Apparently, she's never seen (or used) a rotary phone.
    My aunt had a active rotary phone till around 1995. Her daughter decided it was better to ask for forgiveness than for permission and snuck in and replaced it one day.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

I think you’ve recycled that joke more times than the paper we used to print on. :smiley:

My first job out of college was working for the local newspaper.

They closed down the building this year.

I give it 10 years (and that's being generous) before it disappears as an industry entirely.

And then they're coming for your funnybooks! :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I give it 10 years (and that's being generous) before it disappears as an industry entirely.

They just shut down the press last month at the paper I worked for. They are still in the building (for now), but now only occupy two of the four floors, and will be renting out the rest of the space, while the papers will be printed off-site.

I do think the industry will be around for more than 10 years, but in order to survive, it will have to travel back in time to the days of being extremely localized.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited August 2016

Torchsong said:

They just shut down the press last month at the paper I worked for. They are still in the building (for now), but now only occupy two of the four floors, and will be renting out the rest of the space, while the papers will be printed off-site.

I do think the industry will be around for more than 10 years, but in order to survive, it will have to travel back in time to the days of being extremely localized.
    I'm going to dovetail this into the CBR has garbage website conversation. I subscribed to the AJC's digital paper/paysite because they made thier old free site a flaming piece of dog poo, and I really like the journalism that the newspaper does.

I will not subscribe to a CBR paysite.
    Side note: the free site hemorrhaged readers and they made some real changes to it after a month. There was even a "my bad" letter from the editor.
  • Options
    The psychology behind the effects of going from giving something away for free (or at a very low cost, as with a newspaper), to charging substantially more is fascinating. I think someone (maybe it was me) posted this here a few years ago, but it’s definitely relevant to the conversation.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    This is why they like to spread their articles across more than one page or even tempt you into opening a slideshow = more page views for advertisers
  • Options

This is why they like to spread their articles across more than one page or even tempt you into opening a slideshow = more page views for advertisers

At our newspaper, slideshows of photos from local college and high school sporting events always and I presume still do) generated a lot of clicks. Sales of prints of the pictures from those slideshows generated a decent amount of revenue. But it was still a drop in the bucket compared to selling print ads. But desperate times...

At least our slideshows were strongly edited, and didn’t have “filler” material the viewer/reader would have no interest in. They were almost tolerable.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Speaking of CBR and their content, Brian Hibb's latest Tilting at Windmills kind of addresses this over at his latest TaW column found on Comics Beat. Yes, that's right
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Speaking of CBR and their content, Brian Hibb's latest Tilting at Windmills kind of addresses this over at his latest TaW column found on Comics Beat. Yes, that's right

Man, that comments section devolved into something that would belong in our political section :p