Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comic Book BACKLOGS??!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited August 2016

I use the CLZ Comics app. My wife bought it (it was cheap) mainly for my son and herself because they kept buying repeats in the cheap bins of Heroes Con, and I haven't gotten into the habit of scanning my comics as I buy them yet. And I haven't even begun to log all my back issues and trades, so I can't really give it a yea or nay yet.

I just got the CLZ app last week. So far, I would give it a yea. The scanning is quick, usually very accurate, has lots of info, and looks good.

Also, @nweathington it was really easy to load my twomorrows stuff without even scanning them. :smile:

There are some cons. Usually minor stuff like when you scan a trade, it sometimes pulls up both the HC and the tpb and you have to pick which one you actually have.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    What would cause me to hesitate is the thousands of comics, trades, etc that I have already loaded into comicbookdb. Going through that process again just creates too much anxiety at this time...

Maybe later.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I use the CLZ Comics app. My wife bought it (it was cheap) mainly for my son and herself because they kept buying repeats in the cheap bins of Heroes Con, and I haven't gotten into the habit of scanning my comics as I buy them yet. And I haven't even begun to log all my back issues and trades, so I can't really give it a yea or nay yet.

I just got the CLZ app last week. So far, I would give it a yea. The scanning is quick, usually very accurate, has lots of info, and looks good.

Also, @nweathington it was really easy to load my twomorrows stuff without even scanning them. :smile:

There are some cons. Usually minor stuff like when you scan a trade, it sometimes pulls up both the HC and the tpb and you have to pick which one you actually have.
    Yes, it definitely looks nice, and my wife had a pretty easy time logging except for the pre-bar code books, some of which weren't in their system. And I like that you can search by artist, though I haven't gone through and tested the accuracy or the depth of their creator credits.

Glad to know the TwoMorrows books are there. I hadn't even looked.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Glad to know the TwoMorrows books are there. I hadn't even looked.
    @nweathington Even Back Issue & Alter Ego were there. There were only a couple of issues of each that I had to load manually. That was pretty simple. I took a screen shot of the covers I needed with my phone and just uploaded them into the app.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited August 2016

Looks good, but $15!?!?! Why, I could almost buy three All-New, All-Different Marvel comics for that!

:)
    The CLZ app is worth every penny. It takes awhile to input everything, but once it's in there, you've got a great portable database you can take anywhere and refer to at any time. Beats buying a $15 book that's going to sit there for five years before you actually read it! ;-)
  • Options

Looks good, but $15!?!?! Why, I could almost buy three All-New, All-Different Marvel comics for that!

:)

I don't remember how much she paid, but it wasn't $15. She got it on some deal of the day promotion.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I get backlogs because I'll buy a bunch of stuff and then end up with too little time to read, due to work or family or whatever. Or I use my reading time to goof around online, like right now. Or I get absorbed in a novel or other book and not have time for the funny books.
  • Options
    What is the biggest read pile someone has heard of? Is Murd or Pants the leading contenders? I remember a long time ago (maybe 10 years?), John Mayo in a podcast talking about cutting his monthly order costs from $500 to $250.

I am not sure if Mike from Mike's Amazing world of comics website even reads his or just collects to collect since most stuff he gets now is so old, but I would imagine he could have a tremendous to be read pile.
  • Options
    Back when I worked at a comic shop in the early ’90s, we had a customer who literally bought one copy of everything. After a couple of years of that, he cut back a bit by dropping a lot of the smaller independent companies from his list. I have no idea where he put them all.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited August 2016

Back when I worked at a comic shop in the early ’90s, we had a customer who literally bought one copy of everything.

I think I remember that guy....

• Options

John Mayo in a podcast talking about cutting his monthly order costs from $500 to $250.

Even $250 a month is cause for some kind of intervention.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    My buddy Bob Bretall (used to be on here as JLAFan) is listed in the Guiness Book of World's Record has having the largest comic book collection. I believe the stipulations are no duplicate issues and it's an individual, not a store. His pull list and weekly haul dwarfs most of our monthly DCBS orders.

And he reads every one of them...
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

My buddy Bob Bretall (used to be on here as JLAFan) is listed in the Guiness Book of World's Record has having the largest comic book collection. I believe the stipulations are no duplicate issues and it's an individual, not a store. His pull list and weekly haul dwarfs most of our monthly DCBS orders.

And he reads every one of them...

Wow! My monthly DCBS order has fluctuated between $50 - $130 since I first began using them. This month it's about $85 (tax, bags, boards included).

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your friend Bob has no wife/children living with him and no other hobbies.
  • Options
    My orders tend to be around $150. I get further behind in reading each month. There are usually one or two orders a year that are huge going past $200. My next order (with 3 omnibuses) is my most expensive ever going past $300.

And yes. No wife/kids and my only other real hobby is reading "regular" books.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your friend Bob has no wife/children living with him and no other hobbies.

Wrong limb. Happily married for 30+ years now, with two grown sons - one out of and one starting college soon, I believe. As to "other hobbies" I can't speak to.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/09/its-official-bob-bretall-has-worlds-largest-comics-collection/
  • Options
    Here's a better article that talks about him and where he answers a lot of FAQs at the bottom:

http://comicspectrum.com/Guinness_World_Record.html
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Wrong limb. Happily married for (I believe) 30 years now, with a grown son starting college soon.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/09/its-official-bob-bretall-has-worlds-largest-comics-collection/
    Interesting. So that's around 23-24 hours per month of reading comics (if you estimate an average of around 10 minutes per comic). I suppose that's doable, but certainly at the expense of other things. No way I could squeeze one hundred and forty comics per month into my reading list.
  • Options

My orders tend to be around $150. I get further behind in reading each month. There are usually one or two orders a year that are huge going past $200. My next order (with 3 omnibuses) is my most expensive ever going past $300.

And yes. No wife/kids and my only other real hobby is reading "regular" books.

I don't think I've ever broken $200 and I have no plans to. Of late my orders are anywhere from $100 to $150.

Married 12 years. No kids. Don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, don't cheat...my only vice is the funnybooks.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Good Ole Bob. I sure wish he and John wouldn't have had that nuncuk fight in the Tokyo airport; they made great podcasting partners.
  • Options

Interesting. So that's around 23-24 hours per month of reading comics (if you estimate an average of around 10 minutes per comic). I suppose that's doable, but certainly at the expense of other things. No way I could squeeze one hundred and forty comics per month into my reading list.

Check the other article. He addresses that.

To save you a click: Other people spend 2-7 hours every Sunday in the fall glued to a tv set to watch people throw a pigskin around. He reads comics.

• Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Good Ole Bob. I sure wish he and John wouldn't have had that nuncuk fight in the Tokyo airport; they made great podcasting partners.

Comic Spectrum is his thing now. I write the occasional review and/or article for him when something worthy comes across my plate or I'm not busy scripting my own stuff.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited August 2016
    Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

Comic Spectrum is his thing now. I write the occasional review and/or article for him when something worthy comes across my plate or I'm not busy scripting my own stuff.
    I know, but they made sweet podcasts together. I'm not sure there are 2 people more knowledgeable about the current American comic product.. Between them i bet they ordered and read probably 75℅ of the comics from Previews per month.

I respect that each of them are doing their own thing, but I just miss them podcasting together. That's all.
  • Options
    Yep, they were a good team with a combined comic book knowledge that dwarfed most others out there...
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Check the other article. He addresses that.

To save you a click: Other people spend 2-7 hours every Sunday in the fall glued to a tv set to watch people throw a pigskin around. He reads comics.

I have football on in the background and read comics on Sunday.

The great thing about Football as a tv sport is it really does not require a person to pay really close attention to it. There are lots of breaks/down time, and if something special happens - it will get replayed over and over.