Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Phoenix Comic-Con 2012

2»

Comments

• Options
    FrankCastleFrankCastle Posts: 37
    edited May 2012
    I've never seen so many Pony pieces of art in my life than I did at Torch's table!! It was crazy.

I hit mostly the local AZ artists as I've never seen any of them before. Still have one on its way from Jim Hanna. Most of the big names I have already received art from.

EOC - Urban Myth Studios

Terrance Brown

Nathan Morris

Joshua Green

Jason Worthington
  • Options
    Joel Gomez

Scott Godlewski

George Perez

Francis Manapul
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Another convention with Jacen Burrows and another Punisher from him.

I showed Garth my Punisher sketch book and asked if he would just sign it since his Punisher book is my all time fav. He scribbled a little skull with was a great touch!!

And I picked up two pages from the inker of Punisher #37. Victor Olazaba works(worked) for Crime Labs who inked the book and he had a couple pages from his Inks over John Mcrea's pencils.

Pg 19

Pg 21

Overall it was a great show and I had a blast. Surprisingly I didn't melt like I thought I would.

Posted a few prints I got too over on my CAF. http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=23719
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I totally could have sketched you a My Little Punisher Pony! :)

If you come down again next year hit me up early and I'll introduce you to some other artists you didn't meet who'll also add to your Frank collection.
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Nice meeting you Jason. I just missed you at Als' booth for lunch. I say the Ennis line was huge...of course I realised that after I talked to him before everyone else. That was a huge line.
    Highlights...

Meeting Shatner
    Meeting Ennis (Again)...met him back in '92. He even remembered the competition where he voted my art best B&W strip!
    Meeting Jason Palmer. Punisher Powers Unite!!!
    Seeing Al on a panel with 'Professionals'
    Mildly heckling Bob Bretall at said panel.
    Seeing Al make a killing selling pony sketches.
    Getting two Judge Anderson sketches from the amazing Val Hochberg and Justin Orr.
    Hanging out with Rory Hensley...one of the most amazing artists that you've never heard of.
  • Options

Seeing Al make a killing selling pony sketches.
    It was weird but I made enough scratch to buy a new grill, so I'm not complaining. :)

• Options
    I have precious few pictures and my camera was super shaky but here's what I have:

Shout out to my Bronies! They made this convention worth it!

So many cuties in the traditional Ms. Marvel outfit...so little time... :)

Even money says only Kfreeman and I know who this is... :)

Know this...the fez will be accompanying me to all conventions and in-stores I do from here on out!

A Wonder Girl (old school) I did during a sketch-off. Not bad for 15-minutes.

Deadpool Hippo!

Why I do what I do...I put a lot of smiles on little kids faces. Little do they know how much I *loathe* them...just kidding! :)

I wasn't JUST drawing ponies all weekend! Here's a fun commission for Aquaman...

This guy bought Spiral right as the convention was shutting down. I knocked $5 off the cost so I didn't have to take it with me. :) We both left happy!

Okay, but what did *YOU* get? Not a lot, sadly. I was so busy I didn't have time to do much. Every convention I pick a theme (this year was Elektra) and get different artists to sketch it based on that theme - I try and pick one "Major League" artist and pony up the serious coin to draw in my sketchbook and this year it was Billy Tucci (Shi) - he kept getting delayed and I apologized for always coming over but his wife hand-delivered it back to my booth and said she hoped it was worth that wait and Billy didn't think for a minute I was harassing him. I think you'll agree...DAMN that's one fine sketch! :)

George Perez's booth was ONE STALL BACK from mine! And he was sketching for $25. I had to do it. I already have a Terra from him on my wall, but wasn't in my sketchbook, until now! I didn't even get mad that he did this in Sharpie and didn't use a backing board and now the next page is all Perez marker bleed-throughs! It's Perez! The man who turned me into the slobbering fanboy I am! :)

No you don't have glaucoma. My camera sucks. This one is by artist Jen Broomhall, who does a lot of cover art for Big Dog Ink comics like Critter, Penny for Your Soul, etc. Very talented, very nice lady, and likes the idea that her sketch is sandwiched between Tucci and Perez in my book!

Local artist Scott Godlewski. I really like this one...it's a bit smaller in the book but I love the chiseled angles and fierce expression on her face. Really nailed this and it was a whopping $5. If Scott's at your convention - run don't walk...

• Options
    7h0m457h0m45 Posts: 49
    Alrighty here we go!

Phoenix Convention Center

Perez and I!
    George and I!

Freddie and I.
    Freddie and I.

DSC_1031

DSC_1071

DSC_1101

David Finch
    DSC_1069

DSC_1128

DSC_0095

Garth Ennis
    DSC_0198

DSC_0258

DSC_0300

DSC_0298

DSC_0327

Peter Nguyen
    DSC_0395

Mark Brooks
    DSC_0376

DSC_0509

Francis Manapul and Agnes Garbowska
    Francis and Agnes.

DSC_0191

And the man himself Al(torchsong)!!!
    Photobucket

And this is how he will make his millions!
    Photobucket

a bunch more pictures over on my flickr!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35244539@N07/sets/72157629944286210/
  • Options
    Great pictures! Even of that ugly spud at the end...

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @7h0m45 : those are awesome pics - thanks for sharing B-)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Are there people who won't do pony sketches, Al? Or were there just so many Bronies in attendance you made the sign to save time?
  • Options
    There was a Brony niche, and I filled that niche. :)

People kept seeing the Derpy painting and wanted it (but didn't want to spend the $$) and I wasn't coming down on the price. So I put the sign underneath it to let them know if they didn't want the painting, for 1/5 of that I'd sketch a pony for them.