Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1621 Talkback - Comic Talk - Improv Edition

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited September 2016

The term "buffoon" kicked off the name-calling.

Peter said:

Ah, I see - So "All Knowing Rios" is said with love and affection. Got it. :star:

You don't refer to yourself that way? In the orders of magnitude of name-calling, I'd say "All-Knowing" is a bit milder than "buffoon," but your escalation rates may vary.
    Isn't this your Twitter banner? Or did John create this for you?

And when YOU block someone on twitter, it's a crisis...unlike when other people do it. I guess.

Your indomitable efforts to make it seem immature on my part instead of offensive on his are mildly cute. Thanks for the added acrimony.

• Options

And when YOU block someone on twitter, it's a crisis...unlike when other people do it. I guess.

Only partially following this whole thing, but didn't he actually block him from the CGS account as opposed to blocking him from his own, or do I have it wrong? If so, that seems fairly petty.

• Options

Not that I agree with Peter’s use of insults as a retort. I'm afraid these two may have travelled too far down the low road together to ever find their way back to the high road. It’s a pity. The good guys are supposed to team up after their initial conflict and become a greater force for justice together than they were separately. At least that’s what comics taught me.

Agree. Or at the very least, if only we could retcon that pesky continuity away.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Peter said:

Ah, I see - So "All Knowing Rios" is said with love and affection. Got it. :star:

You honestly can't see the difference betwen "Joe Public" blocking someone versus the co-founder of CGS blocking a listener simply because he doesn't like his opinions?
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Peter said:

You honestly can't see the difference betwen "Joe Public" blocking someone versus the co-founder of CGS blocking a listener simply because he doesn't like his opinions?
    Depends on how the opinions, how they are stated, and the etiquette involved. I totally understand not wanting to have to deal with someone on line.

As someone who has been blocked by the Republican Nominee for President because of his news parody podcast, I honestly don't see what the big deal is.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited September 2016
    If people think this is the first time someone from CGS has blocked, banned, or told people to stop listening - due to political views or otherwise - you don't know shit about us. So stop trying to dictate otherwise. Especially if those views are at the cost of the rights and well being of whole groups of people who demand representation, struggle to count and just want to live. Wrap it up however you want to spin things, it has nothing to do with my 'feelings' (I'm not a Scorpio Latino for nothing) and all to do with not tolerating Hate Mongers and Two-Faces.

Some of you keep saying this thread is derailed but can't help trying to keep it off the track. But sure - pretend you're on the high road. :smile:
  • Options
    Wait for it....
  • Options
    :lol:

BTW - to be ON topic - I've been following this form of Comics Journalism for years now:
    http://www.cjr.org/united_states_project/illustrated_press_chicago_comics_journalism.php

They rightfully mention Joe Sacco who has been doing the same for years.

Also the Symbolia mag:
    http://www.symboliamag.com

Can't get more Comics Journalism literal than that.

• Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

Depends on how the opinions, how they are stated, and the etiquette involved. I totally understand not wanting to have to deal with someone on line.

As someone who has been blocked by the Republican Nominee for President because of his news parody podcast, I honestly don't see what the big deal is.

In order to reveal the fake solidarity and fake inclusiveness, I will continue to respond as long as anyone wants to chat about it. Trying to handle it privately produced no results. I'm happy to continue the discussion here as long as anyone wishes.

Since I've never said anything negative about CGS on my Twitter account, or on here, on a podcast, or anywhere, then it should be clear that Corey is making a false equivalence. Peter is proudly arrogant, I don't need to point that out. He does it brilliantly every time he posts on these boards. There was a brief kerfuffle in these forums two years ago between the former host and myself, but he has his own personal account to block people from.

"Not having to deal with someone online" implies that without blocking me, the he had to "deal with me" some other way. He didn't. You don't see anyone in your timeline unless you follow them or they're retweeted. He was merely preventing me from seeing CGS's news items and being able to share them with my followers out of spite, plain and simple. You don't have to believe in freedom of expression to see how blocking someone from the show's account was unnecessary and unwarranted.

Somehow I'm not sure that continuing to explain how it all works (ad nauseam) will eventually result in you seeing it my way, but I don't mind trying.

• Options
    Peter said:

BTW - to be ON topic - I've been following this form of Comics Journalism for years now:
    http://www.cjr.org/united_states_project/illustrated_press_chicago_comics_journalism.php

Also the Symbolia mag:

I've got a couple of Sacco’s books, and they’re quite powerful. A.D.: New Orleans after the Deluge is another great example. The only problem with that type of journalism is that it’s very difficult to be timely. Dealing with something like Israel/Palestine, where the more things change, the more they stay the same, the medium can be very effective though.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Peter said:

If people think this is the first time someone from CGS has blocked, banned, or told people to stop listening - due to political views or otherwise - you don't know shit about us. Especially if those views are at the cost of the rights and well being of whole groups of people who demand representation, struggle to count and just want to live.

[eye-roll]

SO in other words: "You better stop listening to this podcast because one or more of us doesn't agree with your support for ...Bernie Sanders! Donald Trump! Jill Stein! Gary Johnson! Hillary Clinton! Or we think you might be republican / Proud Guy / Sad Puppy / Hitler / GamerGater / <--- fill in your favorite SJW insult here-- because there are underprivileged minorities without a voice that can't speak up on here because you're scaring them away with your intolerable views."

I guess those with unpopular opinions should be very thankful you aren't a board moderator.

This is what is killing our culture right now, non-inclusiveness of opinions you disagree with and using the fear of punishment for not adhering to group-think ideology. I'm simply not worried about upsetting a demographic who's been raised on a diet of trigger warnings, safe spaces, and self-victimization. These forums generally seem to embrace openness to all users of various beliefs and world views. Unless someone is engaged in vicious forms of online harassment, I've been under the impression these forums were open to all users of various political or religious beliefs - welcoming people of all beliefs, backgrounds, and allegiances.

We all just want to live.

• Options

Since I've never said anything negative about CGS on my Twitter account, or on here, on a podcast, or anywhere, then it should be clear that Corey is making a false equivalence.

Sing it with me: second verse, same as the first. You sent an email to CGS - most likely after the kerfuffle you mentioned - about my 'behavior' and included a crack about my profession. Something about me and ballet. Quite the selective memory in times of desperation and agenda. So once again In playground terms: you started it.
    Somehow I'm not sure that continuing to explain how it all works (ad nauseam) will eventually result in you seeing it my way, but I don't mind trying.
    Funny how that works both ways.

I guess those with unpopular opinions should be very thankful you aren't a board moderator.

Since you like to repeat my own words. Yes. Someone who goes in that hard on a Muslim Cpt Marvel, an all female Ghostbusters and a black Cpt America - you better believe you would've been gone a long time ago.

All the rest is typical bullshit coded language that I've come to expect. Good luck with that. :smile:
  • Options

Peter said:

Also the Symbolia mag:

I've got a couple of Sacco’s books, and they’re quite powerful. A.D.: New Orleans after the Deluge is another great example. The only problem with that type of journalism is that it’s very difficult to be timely. Dealing with something like Israel/Palestine, where the more things change, the more they stay the same, the medium can be very effective though.
    Good point. I have to imagine to reach is also limited because of the form. Hard to turn heads at times - they may see it as trivializing. Although it's good that they are trying and getting more coverage.

I remember talking with one of the victims of that flood. The listeners rallied to restore some of his comics collection. Leo McGovern was his name. I've never read AD. I'll have to look that one up.
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

You don't have to believe in freedom of expression to see how blocking someone from the show's account was unnecessary and unwarranted.

• Options

Only partially following this whole thing, but didn't he actually block him from the CGS account as opposed to blocking him from his own, or do I have it wrong? If so, that seems fairly petty.

So, we're all agreed ... petty.

• Options
    Peter said:

I remember talking with one of the victims of that flood. The listeners rallied to restore some of his comics collection. Leo McGovern was his name. I've never read AD. I'll have to look that one up.

Yeah, I remember that. One of the high points of the forums as I recall.

I think there’s a second book on the flood as well, but I haven’t read it. A.D. came out first, and is well worth tracking down.
  • Options
    Peter said:

Yes. Someone who goes in that hard on a Muslim Cpt Marvel, an all female Ghostbusters and a black Cpt America - you better believe you would've been gone a long time ago.

All the rest is typical bullshit coded language that I've come to expect. Good luck with that. :smile:

Classy to the last, @Peter. Sorry you feel so microagressed by my differing opinions.
    Peter said:

You sent an email to CGS - most likely after the kerfuffle you mentioned - about my 'behavior' and included a crack about my profession. Something about me and ballet. Quite the selective memory in times of desperation and agenda. So once again In playground terms: you started it.

Oh my goodness. History lesson everyone - the email that upset Peter where he decided to start blocking me is from February 7, 2014, TWO-AND-A-HALF-YEARS AGO and as I bolded a portion of your comment above, the subject line of that very old email was "an infantile moment by Peter Rios"

I'm really saddened that you've been nursing a wounds and growing more and more bitter towards me for over 30 months. Yes, I did send a personal email to the CGS account (i.e. didn't post it anywhere).

It said the following:
    I've been a huge fan of the show ever since a friend turned me onto it last spring. I listen to every podcast, am active on the boards, have bought books based on many of the recommendations I hear, supported some of the indie artists you guys have interviewed or raved about, and I have donated to the show. I am a fan.

This week however, one of your former co-hosts has begun attacking / insulting me on the comic forums for what he thinks is a "racist" attitude based on my lack of interest in Ms. Marvel and my gripe that DC is bringing back Wally West, but a brand new African American version (I wish they had left him alone) and I called it a play for more diversity.

http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/comment/56713/#Comment_56713

http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/comment/56714/#Comment_56714

You can read the threads yourself, but up until today Peter had been occasionally abrasive, but not insulting - at least not that I could tell. This morning, however, I return to the boards to see he's called me a "racist troll" because I jokingly said I didn't like Vibe. Do I have to like every Geoff Johns character to NOT be called a racist?

I don't know what I expect you guys to do about this, or if you should even bother to respond. After all, it's a free country, but if a "flame war" is about to happen between me and the "ballet expert", then so be it - I just thought I should notify you guys that I am NOT interested in trading public insults on your message boards. Because, in spite of what the esteemed Mr. Rios thinks, I do NOT thrive on negativity as anyone who combs through my comments could establish for themselves.

Best regards and thanks for a lot of great entertainment,

And there it is, word-for-word. Not nearly as juicy as Colin Powell's emails, but you kept referring to it @Peter, so here it is. Rather benign actually, but read it again to review the "crack" on your profession. I have no doubt you consider yourself an expert in that field. So are quotation marks a microagression deserving scorched earth responses? Wow. If you disagree with my opinions, that's fine—you have every right to do that, because men before us have died protecting that right. I do, however, expect a clever person like yourself to be able to advance a logical explanation as to why you disagree. Simply saying "white male privilege" or calling people names doesn't do it because it’s the stuff of middle school arguments, and holds no weight whatsoever.

Reminder: I reached out to you privately before bringing ANY of this up. I would have preferred we discuss this respectfully, but you didn't offer that option.
  • Options

Do you understand what the phrase "white male privilege" means @bralinator?

And that last response, and many others, wreaks of self-victimization. Ironic?

Edited to say: apologies for continuing down this low road. No excuses. I'll tap out, now.

Actually @ChrisBeckett, you jumped in on Twitter also, and now here, probably because you're friends with Peter or you admire him and probably agree with his perspective.

Let me ask you two questions:

Can you define "white male privilege" for everyone here?

And can you tell us what is your solution for it?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Do you understand what the phrase "white male privilege" means @bralinator?

And that last response, and many others, wreaks of self-victimization. Ironic?

Edited to say: apologies for continuing down this low road. No excuses. I'll tap out, now.

Yes, I've come to learn its my cross to carry...which is weird because I'm not even religious. It's a way to make Caucasians (I hate the term "white") feel like frauds & entitled, taking everything for granted.

Because of the Kaepernick effect, they're discussing it on sports talk (not his incoherent message, but the act). I've listened to countless people call in & state

"you don't know what it's like to have to think about the color of your skin all the time."

Correct, I don't, but only because I don't give a shit about the color of skin. Remove it & we all look a like. If I inquire "I don't understand why you have to think about it all the time" I'm told "that's because you're white privileged"

"White privileged" has become the way to say everything I thought I was working hard to earn, really was just going to be handed to me any way. It's a reverse "quota" notion.

It's a term used to demean people who disagree with the premise law enforcement are lynch mobs with badges.

Look, I believe in complete equal; race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, etc. but when I try having a conversation with someone & his/her reply is "that's because you're white privileged" it tells me he/she doesn't want a conversation.
  • Options
    Peter said:

If people think this is the first time someone from CGS has blocked, banned, or told people to stop listening - due to political views or otherwise - you don't know shit about us. So stop trying to dictate otherwise. Especially if those views are at the cost of the rights and well being of whole groups of people who demand representation, struggle to count and just want to live. Wrap it up however you want to spin things, it has nothing to do with my 'feelings' (I'm not a Scorpio Latino for nothing) and all to do with not tolerating Hate Mongers and Two-Faces.

Some of you keep saying this thread is derailed but can't help trying to keep it off the track. But sure - pretend you're on the high road. :smile:

I completely agree. There should be representation. I think everyone should have a voice & it should be a two way street. I do think one of those directions shouldn't be a pothole ridden, speed bump filled debris covered path that's reluctant to be traveled.
  • Options

You don't refer to yourself that way? In the orders of magnitude of name-calling, I'd say "All-Knowing" is a bit milder than "buffoon," but your escalation rates may vary.

Isn't this your Twitter banner? Or did John create this for you?
    The banner is Peter “owning” the insult, hence the quotation marks. It’s a common way of dealing with derogatory comments these days. Again, at face value, it does seem to be a milder insult, but taken with the knowledge of the backstory behind its original usage, it equates to calling Peter a pompous ass. A rose by any other name, if you will.

Not that I agree with Peter’s use of insults as a retort. I'm afraid these two may have travelled too far down the low road together to ever find their way back to the high road. It’s a pity. The good guys are supposed to team up after their initial conflict and become a greater force for justice together than they were separately. At least that’s what comics taught me.
    Why does it have to be the "low road"? Can there just be the "high road" & "the road"? It feels like some elevation shaming.

Also, why does everyone have to get along? Can't people just not like each other & accept it? Oil & water don't mix. Science taught me that.

And I've always found Frank Castle to be the best partners to characters like Murdock, Parker, & even Rogers. He's crossed lines they won't & the team up is always an uneasy alliance. Those always made for more interesting stories then two characters with the same ideology.
  • Options
    Peter said:

Since you like to repeat my own words. Yes. Someone who goes in that hard on a Muslim Cpt Marvel, an all female Ghostbusters and a black Cpt America - you better believe you would've been gone a long time ago.

Here's the take-away kiddies: if "positive" "inclusive" @peter were in charge, the CGS forum membership rules would dictate that you MUST completely embrace Muslim Ms. Marvel (Not Muslim Cpt Marvel, btw), attend several showings of the all-female Ghostbusters reboot, and give your full-throated support for Sam Wilson as Captain America. You must NEVER criticize or apply scrutiny toANY of those decisions, especially if you're a white, 'cis' male - because... 'privilege'.

Nevermind that I:
    Love Robbie Reyes as Ghost Rider (he's Hispanic, duh) and own every issue. And I could rattle off the names of several other "superheroes of color" that I also collect (you've probably already Goodled my comicbookdb.com account... which I think is public, if you feel compelled to see how "white privileged" my modest collection is).

Nevermind that I:
    Loved the original Ghostbusters movie, but thought the female Ghostbusters trailer stunk and also that the movie failed to succeed. In fact, it bombed so badly that you still see the original male action figures in Previews ('cause 'misogyny' right? Sure. It can’t just be that the film looked crap). And I happen to really like female-led films: Kill Bill, Lara Croft, Hunger Games, Ultraviolet, Underworld, Lucy, Aliens, Jackie Brown, etc. for example.

Nevermind that I:
    Love The Falcon (the 'black' one), but still think Nick Spencer's constant political slant in his books is gross.
    Peter said:

Wrap it up however you want to spin things, it has nothing to do with my 'feelings' and all to do with not tolerating Hate Mongers and Two-Faces.

Maybe I over-post, or go long in defending my position sometimes, but if everyone here is as slanted and spiteful and leftist as what you're dishing out on here, then maybe it's warranted. In the meantime, show us all the 'HATE' and show us my 'TWO FACE' because from where I'm typing, it looks like I'm the only one offering any responses that actually back up what I'm saying.

• Options
    Matt said:

l
    "you don't know what it's like to have to think about the color of your skin all the time."

Correct, I don't, but only because I don't give a shit about the color of skin. Remove it & we all look a like. If I inquire "I don't understand why you have to think about it all the time" I'm told "that's because you're white privileged"

You may not see skin - but not everyone can say that. Because it's what they see in the mirror or on their hands, etc. They have to see it. Every day. And there are people who don't ever let you forget that you have that skin. Like the guy who called me a spic without knowing who I was or hearing me speak or anything. In one second, because he was trying to set me up for a mugging or something, he knew because of how I look.

So yes. Not giving a shit? It is a privilege. That's what people mean when they say you don't know what it's like. Even I thought I could avoid that. I've been proven wrong enough times to know that 'not seeing skin' is a luxury others can't afford.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

"Let me bring up something that happened two years ago blah blah blah link link blah blah link blah - OMG Finger point! You brought up something from two and a HALF years ago!"

Hypocrite much? :lol:
  • Options
    Where to even start? Good lord, I go away for a few hours and all hell breaks loose. Okay, I'll start with the direct response to me.
    Matt said:

Why does it have to be the "low road"? Can there just be the "high road" & "the road"? It feels like some elevation shaming.

“Elevation shaming”—that’s pretty funny. Being a person who is vertically challenged, I may steal that.

But if you want to change the names, I'd rather have it be “the road” and the “the low road,” because the road is normality. Normally we don't call people names and insult them. In our normal lives we mostly ignore other people if we can, and when we can’t we tend to treat them with respect, or at least without a show of open hostility.

There are people I don’t like, people I don’t get along with. I'm fine with that. But I'm not going to insult them and try to demean them, because I have better things to do with my time.

The comic book teamup trope reference was just a joke, but since you bring it up, I’ve always found the Punisher teamups to be forced and contradictory at best. To my way of thinking about superheroes, they should all end after about four pages with the Punisher locked away in prison. Maybe that’s just me.

Probably my favorite teamup in superhero comics is Wesley Dodds and Dian Belmont in Sandman Mystery Theater—two adults stumbling through the complications of building a relationship while keeping secrets, and then the complications of sharing that secret. That’s what I find more interesting.
  • Options

Probably my favorite teamup in superhero comics is Wesley Dodds and Dian Belmont in Sandman Mystery Theater—two adults stumbling through the complications of building a relationship while keeping secrets, and then the complications of sharing that secret. That’s what I find more interesting.

Quantum and Woody. They'd love the shit out of this thread right now. :lol:
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Peter said:

"Let me bring up something that happened two years ago blah blah blah link link blah blah link blah - OMG Finger point! You brought up something from two and a HALF years ago!"

Hypocrite much? :lol:

Yes, it was a weak attempt to try to explain how you reached your petty decision to block me. The fact that it WAS so long ago doesn't work in your favor. I'm amused you still think it does. You obviously haven't changed in years.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Peter said:

You may not see skin - but not everyone can say that. Because it's what they see in the mirror or on their hands, etc. They have to see it. Every day. And there are people who don't ever let you forget that you have that skin. Like the guy who called me a spic without knowing who I was or hearing me speak or anything. In one second, because he was trying to set me up for a mugging or something, he knew because of how I look.

So yes. Not giving a shit? It is a privilege. That's what people mean when they say you don't know what it's like. Even I thought I could avoid that. I've been proven wrong enough times to know that 'not seeing skin' is a luxury others can't afford.

Want to see what privileges you might qualify for? How about “two-parent privilege?” If you were raised by a mom and dad, you entered adulthood with more privileges than anyone else in American society, irrespective of race, ethnicity or sex. Any concern about “Asian privilege?” They exceed all other races in American schools on IQ tests, on credit scores and several other positive parameters.

And still, given similar scholastic and extracurricular records, one’s chances of being accepted into a prestigious college are considerably greater if one is a member of a minority. So maybe there's a “minority privilege.” Worried about that too, or just whites?

And the biggest privilege of all is “American privilege.” Unless you or your family make some big mistakes, the greatest privilege of all is to be an American. That’s why much of the world wants to live in America. Our society and our culture is a mixture of people with differing levels of talent, skills, industry, motivation and opportunity. Anyone promoting a sense of entitlement among the “have-nots,” and favoring the displacement of responsibility to others or the culture at large for ones fate, where the “not so successful” blame their unhappiness on those more successful is misguided and promoting ideas devoid of personal responsibility or any sense of self reliance.

I'm very sorry someone called you a name and thought about mugging you. All colors of people get mugged. All colors of people called names. All people deserve to be heard and represented. Not shouted down because they don't have the right privilege or understand how entitled you think they are or are not.