Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Avengers on Blu-Ray/DVD is released soon!

2»

Comments

• Options

Target? Wal-mart? Best Buy? Decisions, decisions.

Target has the 4 disc version for $19.99
    And that happens to be the one I went with. I liked the idea of the making of the marvel movie universe DVD.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Target was a madhouse (emphasis on the word "MAD"). Apparently, their weekly ad had The Avengers blu-ray & DVD combo + digital download for $19.99. The only problem was the combo pack doesn't actually include a digital download. Their solution: lower the already discounted deluxe ed. which includes a digital download, the soundtrack and a 3D version of the film to the same price (i.e. $19.99) as the combo version. This is about $10.00 cheaper than everyone else, so of course they sell out of the deluxe ed. within hours of opening. Target elected not to offer rain checks, and they still have signs up indicating there's a better version people could have gotten for the same price as the combo packs. End result = a lot of disgruntled customers.

In my opinion, Target SHOULD have lowered the deluxe version down to $22.50. By meeting the price difference half way, they would have offered compensation for their misprint, and at the same time alleviated some of the resentment that was clearly being expressed by those who were buying the $19.99 combo edition that lacked all the extra features.
  • Options
    My copy was just safely delivered.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Amazon also has the four-pack as 19.99.

Looks like I'm down for either of those.
  • Options
    Aaaand looks like I missed out on the extra 90 minute disc from Target. I'm sure I'll survive.
  • Options
    &fade2black. Thanks for explaining that because i hadn't figured out what was going on. So going to target as soon as they opened worked out. Watched the final battle with my son. And it was even more awesome.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I hit up Best Buy, because that's where I happened to be closest to. Picked the basic Blu-Ray up as well as the Batman: DKR Blu-Ray. $20/$15 respectively.
  • Options
    I got the DVD/Blue Ray edition. My sole complaint is that all but one of the special features are on the Blue Ray disc only. Which means that I can't view them until I get a Blue Ray player -- or find a local friend who has one. Not happy about that.
  • Options
    I didn't know DKR was coming out until like Sunday? I will rent before I buy.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I didn't know DKR was coming out until like Sunday? I will rent before I buy.

DKR is worth buying. Seen it about a week ago and it is a very very close adaptation of the first half of the DKR comic series. Just sucks we have to wait till winter 2013 for the second part.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    My Blu-ray with the graphic novel came in the mail today.

Over on BleedingCool they showed the graphic novel that came with the disc over in the U.K. ...it was basically a thick, but small, stapled comic. Not so with the Walmart version..this is a full sized, square bound TPB. Very, very nice. Couldn't be happier.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I wanted the Wal-Mart version with the trade, but I went to two Wal-Marts and both of the stores pretty much laughed in my face. Both said they sold out of the version with the trade in minutes. A shame really, I thought this would be a great opportunity to get at least SOME kind of exposure to new comic readers. Instead I got the Target 5 disc version with soundtrack code and whatever else (man these movies come with so many discs I can't keep track!). Then skipped over to Best Buy and picked up all the other Marvel movies I didn't have already. Best Buy did have the first Avengers Heroic Age hardcover, but I doubt many people bought it at full retail of $40.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Nick said:

I wanted the Wal-Mart version with the trade, but I went to two Wal-Marts and both of the stores pretty much laughed in my face. Both said they sold out of the version with the trade in minutes. A shame really, I thought this would be a great opportunity to get at least SOME kind of exposure to new comic readers. Instead I got the Target 5 disc version with soundtrack code and whatever else (man these movies come with so many discs I can't keep track!). Then skipped over to Best Buy and picked up all the other Marvel movies I didn't have already. Best Buy did have the first Avengers Heroic Age hardcover, but I doubt many people bought it at full retail of $40.

I got it today. Got the Blu Ray/DVD combo with the trade. Was surprised they still had about 5 copies on the shelf. Haven't read the trade yet,but flipped through it and saw 4 or 5 artist worked on it. I am hoping it is good,but Peter David wrote it and I am not a huge fan of his writing.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited September 2012
    I went back to my local Target today hoping to traded my DVD/blu-ray edition for a deluxe edition. Not only were they sold out of the deluxe ed., they were also sold out of the DVD/blu-ray one. I was given a rain check (though only because the clerk on Tuesday had informed me they were getting another shipment in today and that if I came today I should be able to get one - apparently he had overstepped his bounds by making such an offer). There's still no guarantee their next shipment of deluxe editions will be packaged with the Target exclusive bonus disc (apparently that was a very limited offer). I'm going to try again once the sale is over. I figure I'll probably have a better chance of scoring the deluxe edition once the price is jacked up again. Since I have the rain check, I'll still be able to get it for the cheaper price. If however, the bonus disc is no longer offered, I'll just stick to the DVD/blu-ray edition I have, for I think I'd rather have that than a version that lacks the bonus disc but includes the 3D blu-ray version (useless to me), a soundtrack download (nice, but not necessary), and a digital download (I'd like to have this, but the free Handbrake application can make a digital copy just as well). Of course, the real frustrating thing is not being able to open my movie until I know for sure which one I'm going to end up with once this rigamarole is said and done.
  • Options
    Uh I am guessing we could hearing about some DVD sales record being broken?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Uh I am guessing we could hearing about some DVD sales record being broken?

Could very well be. When I mentioned to my family after we were dining out on Tuesday that I was going to run by Target to pick up my copy of the Avengers, my brother-in-law - who never seems to raise his voice or get angry with his wife (at least not in public) - looked at her with a hurt expression because she was at Target but didn't pick up a copy for him. :)

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I've watch the avengers on Bly ray four times since getting it and it's still not getting old. I can't wait to see where phase 2 takes us!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    hey so i've watched the Avengers on the blu-ray a couple times and I think this version is slightly different that what i saw in theatres and i wanted to see if any of you guys noticed any changes as well. in the scene where Cap rescues the folks in the bank...in the theatre cap took off his own mask. i remember having a conversation with my buddy after the movie that it was an odd move and we wondered if maybe they just wanted to have Chris Evans getting more screen time. when i watched the Blu-ray one of the Chitari pulls the mask off caps face. which makes more sense for the situation but was just different. anybody else with me there or am i just mis-remembering. also the Tony Stark Galaga scene on the bridge...I thought we cut immediately to the guy playing Galaga when Tony calls it out and then again at the end of the scene. in the Blu ray there is just one cut at the end. wierd.
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    random73 said:

also the Tony Stark Galaga scene on the bridge...I thought we cut immediately to the guy playing Galaga when Tony calls it out and then again at the end of the scene. in the Blu ray there is just one cut at the end. wierd.

My recollection of UK version is that we only got the one shot of Galaga at the end.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited October 2012
    @random73. The cap scene I remember at the cinema, i believe he had it pulled off by the chitari but only half way, he then pulled it off the rest of the way to get it out of his face. Don't remember with the tony scene though.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    luke52 said:

@random73. The cap scene I remember at the cinema, i believe he had it pulled off by the chitari but only half way, he then pulled it off the rest of the way to get it out of his face. Don't remember with the tony scene though.

i may just be mis-remembering the Galaga bit but in the DVD Avengers the Chitari solder pulls the mask entirely off caps face.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited October 2012
    Got the 2 disc blu-ray (it actually prompted me to finally break down and buy a blu-ray player! lol). Didn't do a full rewatch yet, but did check out a bunch of my favorite scenes a few times w/and w/o Joss Whedon's commentary. All cool stuff.

I was a little disappointed in the deleted scenes - but only b/c I thought I had heard that there were 40 minutes worth, and it turned out there's only 15 minutes worth (the extended Cap scenes were my favorites). There's also a cool 11 minute Jasper Sitwell short that's good. Aside from that - not many bells and whistles - just a great movie!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    anyone here about the Direct TV offer? Where you buy the movie on pay per view and at the end of movie get a code to enter in website and get a copy of the 4 disc set
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284

anyone here about the Direct TV offer? Where you buy the movie on pay per view and at the end of movie get a code to enter in website and get a copy of the 4 disc set

Sounds too good to be true, if anyone gets it to work let me know!
  • Options
    Girlfriend bought it for me as a (late) birthday present.

(Technically, the NYCC tickets were the present, but I had to sell them for her due to a sickness/death in the family)