Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mike Norton! Tim Seeley! NEW SERIES FROM IMAGE COMICS!

2»

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I think you are reading way more into what I was saying than I said. I already said that my view is cautiously optimistic, my last comment was to respond to jaydee74. This is indeed marketing, I never said it was evil or wrong, just that this kind of thing does nothing for me. It isn't new or novel, and I personally don't care for this type of hype. Not just in comics but with anything. Blow me away with the actual product and I'll care every time. I still may with this, but I am not going to get excited or sucked in by a stream of teasers with no real substance. No need for rankled feathers.
    I just get tired of the negativity sometimes.

Like complaining about a teaser being a teaser.

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I'm not sure what you want me to say... just because I dare actually say that these simple teasers don't do anything for me one way or another I'm negative? Cautiously optimistic is now negative? I don't care what team is on a book or how much I loved past work, I judge things on what is actually in front of me. Just like Ragemoor which I had my hopes up for and based on the team and past work and it was bad. I'm being realistic, and I liked the first couple teasers... but a week of them is a bit much for me without putting up anything else. If you have an issue with me personally feel free to PM me, I did nothing but offer my opinion.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I'm not sure what you want me to say... just because I dare actually say that these simple teasers don't do anything for me one way or another I'm negative? Cautiously optimistic is now negative? I don't care what team is on a book or how much I loved past work, I judge things on what is actually in front of me. Just like Ragemoor which I had my hopes up for and based on the team and past work and it was bad. I'm being realistic, and I liked the first couple teasers... but a week of them is a bit much for me without putting up anything else. If you have an issue with me personally feel free to PM me, I did nothing but offer my opinion.
    It is not personal. But to click on a week's worth of teasers, and then bring up the obvious and currently unanswerable question about all unpublished things ('will it live up to the hype'?) and complain about there being too many teasers, in a thread about promoting an upcoming book that was even STARTED BY A CREATOR OF THE BOOK reminds me of everything I can get tired of when it comes to online comics fandom.

But so it goes.

• Options
    Is anyone loving this creator owned boom as much as I am?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Is anyone loving this creator owned boom as much as I am?
    Yep, Here's hoping it's a financial boom, as well as a creative boom.

• Options
    Friday has another teaser! One more tomorrow as well as an announcement from Emerald City Comicon! Don't worry Zhurrie! You don't have to read them. But please try out the comic! :)
  • Options
    heh, no worries Mike as soon as the first actual preview/reveal is out I'll be the first one to be excited if it looks rad. Can I ask why this tack was chosen for promoting the new book? I like it for a little teaser or two as I said but I just don't know if I care for a whole week of it with not even a tiny actual reveal tossed in.
  • Options
    If you notice, lots of comics are doing this now. The reason they do is because it works. That's why we chose to do it. Simple as that.

Not necessarily a fan of hype, but I'm even less of a fan of not selling comics.
  • Options
    :) No problem, that is a fair answer I wasn't looking to grill you I just wanted to know. I worked in media and the press for a good while and yes I am very familiar with the approach (which is why I'm not a big fan) I just don't think it is necessary for this book or this team. The mystique and chatter it creates and the ever important hope for something "going viral" is a big deal, but I just really think this book and your reputations are more than enough to sell it.

At no point was I bagging on you, I just don't agree that this is the best form of promotion/hype for the situation. I still am overall looking forward to an actual reveal or preview and that was all I said initially.
  • Options
    You would think that, but it's not true. Plenty of name creators can't keep a book going. It happens every month. That's the dangerous nature of this business and why it's more important than ever to make sure you make your voice heard and get your stores to buy the books you want - Not expect them to just get them.

Yes it's a backwards way of doing things, but that's the world we're in right now. Thanks for checking it out!
  • Options
    You are preaching to the choir here, I've lived it too and actually got out of it for some of these reasons so like I said you don't have to defend anything. I know why it is, I just personally don't think it is necessary for you or this book but hell if it ends up putting more sheckles in your pocket at the end of the day go for whatever works. It just isn't a favorite method of mine, and a tiny reveal or preview (even in conjunction with the teasers) I think would generate just as much buzz and discussion if not more.

In the immortal words of 2Pac "I ain't mad at cha" I just wanted to clarify what I was saying since it got a bit distorted earlier. I seriously wish you the best of luck with this and I am a massive supporter of creator-owned and indie comics so we're definitely on the same page.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Love today's teaser.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    i'm drooling right now
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I literally cannot wait for this. It looks outstanding. I got my first independent monthly book to buy. YAY!
  • Options
    ...Aaaannnndddd I'm entirely IN! See, I told you :) That preview did a thousand times more than all the teasers in the world. If even just that header image would have been dropped during those teasers I would have been all in. This could not match more perfectly with my tastes and I'm now fully excited to get this in my hands!
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    ya know, the whole coffin and exorcism thing did throw me a bit, had a completely different idea of what it might be, but I have to say I'm very happy with what has been shown. This is one I might even get monthly if the first issue is really good, and to make it on my floppy list, instead of getting it in trade, that is a 5 star book imo.
  • Options
    I have a feeling this is going to be walking dead or Y worthy