Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Tonebone said:

Greg said:

Aren't you afraid Rosanne will poison your mind with a character who voted for Trump?

Was that a thing that was happening or at least being said?
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Peter said:

Finally completed my Cheers rewatch on the path to a Frasier binge watch. Surprised how few episodes of Cheers I missed over the years - although Season 11 - which is really strong - was mostly new to me. It made the finale (which I've seen before) even more emotional. That show definitely holds up.

Oh - and Voltron. Watch it!!!

That. . . is a lot of Cheers.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    It's new anime season! So far I have started watched the following over on Crunchyroll.

Mr. TONEGAWA Middle Management Blues

A prequel to deathmatch gambling series Kaiji focusing on the villain Tonegawa and his difficulties in setting up said death matches in the first place. The first half of the episode was a bit of a slog, but the second half's meeting was a great workplace satire. Funny enough to distract me from the rough in places animation.

Working Buddies Season 2

A surreal recap episode about our two university student cats working odd jobs, that thoroughly breaks the fourth wall as we discover they are working at an anime studio this week making the very episode we're watching...
  • VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    Peter, did you notice the big change they made in Frasier's backstory for his own show after Cheers? On Cheers he said his father had died. He was quite sad about it. It was a very funny scene with Woody.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

Peter, did you notice the big change they made in Frasier's backstory for his own show after Cheers? On Cheers he said his father had died. He was quite sad about it. It was a very funny scene with Woody.

Ohh yeah. I completely forgot about that.
    More new anime~! Still from Crunchyroll.

Planet With

Surreal giant robot superhero anime from the author of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Easily the best of the new shows I've seen so far this season. Its strangeness has already worked its way into my brain and I'm seeking out Satoshi Mizukami's manga now.

Cells at Work

Growing up on The Numskulls and Once Upon A Time... Life, I've a soft spot for tiny people living inside humans. And this is that. The first episode follows a Red Blood Cell and a White Blood Cell as a Pneumococcus invades. The design work and animation is very good, I just wish the laughs came a bit faster.

Meanwhile over at Amazon Prime...

Banana Fish

Old heads may remember this running in Pulp magazine in the late 90s. This updates it to modern day, but still delivers the pulp crime action the same way. Possibly even better, as it has a great soundtrack and dynamic direction. Nipping at Planet With's heels as my favourite new thing this week.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Been Catching up with Archer: Danger Island on Fxnow. It's been pretty fun.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    New season of Last Chance U just started. New team though not sure how I feel about that
  • Don't know if anyone's brought it up, but Cloak and Dagger is really good.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Just finished Atomic Blonde. I'm not going to pretend that it was a masterpiece, but the action sequences, were something. The camera tracking and angles were great.
    Hauberk, agreed on atomic blonde. By the end of the film, I wasn't even sure anything made sense given all of the reversals, but wow, those fight scenes were impressive. great soundtrack too.
    Tonebone, I saw the pilot for cloak and dagger and while I was initially turned off by the completely revamped origin, by the end of the show, I thought it was certainly watchable.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Loving Cloak and Dagger. And currently working my way thru season 6 of OitNB.
    hauberk said:

Just finished Atomic Blonde. I'm not going to pretend that it was a masterpiece, but the action sequences, were something. The camera tracking and angles were great.

There was something else about the film that peaked my interest, but I can't seem to remember.
    Season finale is Sunday but Succession has gone from yeah this is decent to HOLY CRAP THAT WAS GREAT
    I saw the first episode of Runaways for free on Freeform. I didn't like it enough to want to subscribe to Hulu, but that's only because I'm not subscribing to anymore streaming services. I'm no expert on the comic, but from what little I've read of it, the show is extremely faithful to how the heroes look and act. My only problem with the casting is the girl who plays Molly looks too similar in age to her teammates. In the comic she always looked like a child compared to the teens. A solid actress though.
    Identity is currently available on HBO Now. I know that a lot of people panned this movie, but I really enjoyed it for what it was and more importantly the ensemble cast.
    Three episodes in but Jack Ryan has been pretty good
  • Watched some episodes of Groenig’s Disenchanted series. Not bad. Much as with Futurama and later seasons of The Simpsons, you get a few really funny gags/lines scattered amongst the more pedestrian jokes. The difference with this show is there's a lot more linear continuity from episode to episode. I may get around to finishing Season One at some point, but I'm not going to be in a rush about it.
    edited September 2018

Watched some episodes of Groenig’s Disenchanted series. Not bad. Much as with Futurama and later seasons of The Simpsons, you get a few really funny gags/lines scattered amongst the more pedestrian jokes. The difference with this show is there's a lot more linear continuity from episode to episode. I may get around to finishing Season One at some point, but I'm not going to be in a rush about it.

I will echo the chorus of viewers who say it really picks up in eps 8-10, when it becomes clear that they have watched some modern cartoons and aren't just doing tired Simpsons/Futurama formula in a generic fantasy/fairy tale world.

But on the other hand Magical Circle Guru Guru is on Crunchyroll. And that is a funnier and more focused fantasy parody (specifically JPRG fantasy) even though it's adapting a 25 year-old comic.
  • Brack said:

Watched some episodes of Groenig’s Disenchanted series. Not bad. Much as with Futurama and later seasons of The Simpsons, you get a few really funny gags/lines scattered amongst the more pedestrian jokes. The difference with this show is there's a lot more linear continuity from episode to episode. I may get around to finishing Season One at some point, but I'm not going to be in a rush about it.

I will echo the chorus of viewers who say it really picks up in eps 8-10, when it becomes clear that they have watched some modern cartoons and aren't just doing tired Simpsons/Futurama formula in a generic fantasy/fairy tale world.

But on the other hand Magical Circle Guru Guru is on Crunchyroll. And that is a funnier and more focused fantasy parody (specifically JPRG fantasy) even though it's adapting a 25 year-old comic.
    I didn't even realize it's only 10 episodes long—I was just letting it continue at the end of each episode, and not really keeping track. Turns out I watched through episode 9, so I probably will watch that last episode sooner rather than later. And I agree that episode 9 was the best of the series so far. It actually packed some emotional impact into the story.
    edited September 2018
    DAR said:

Three episodes in but Jack Ryan has been pretty good

Was able to finish. Only 8 episodes but worth a watch.

I’m now tackling Deadwood
    edited September 2018
    Won’t You Be My Neighbor-Excellent documentary about Mister Rogers. Pretty much left me a blubbering mess at the end
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    An exciting announcement for Veronica Mars fans- a new 8 episode season coming to Hulu next year.
  • I finished season 2 of Iron Fist. I thought it was an improvement over the first in terms of action and more compelling characters (unfortunately none of them was iron fist) but I wish it had been anywhere near as interesting as any of the potential storylines suggested by the end of the last episode. The writing was also at times flat out terrible as the contrivances stacked up to get the characters where they wanted them.
    I finally finished Deadwood. Wow wow wow. I hope that movie they're making comes really soon.

Almost done with season 2 of Ozark. Again good television
  • DmanDman Posts: 163
    edited October 2018
    DAR said:

I finally finished Deadwood. Wow wow wow. I hope that movie they're making comes really soon.

Almost done with season 2 of Ozark. Again good television

That last season of Deadwood with the former enemies joining forces against the common enemy was so damn good. I love this series and so looking forward to the movie. Swearengen was a NASTY piece of work.
  • Add me to the I Love Deadwood camp. Fantastic series and highly recommended. Fantastic characters & dialogue!
    I have recently discovered and fallen in love with AXStv. Between Classic Albums, the Big Interview and some of the concerts, it’s almost like the heyday of MTV and vh1.
  • SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    There's all kinds of Monty Python on Netflix, y'all!