Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

London Super Con is back...again!

Comments

• Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Plenty of seats outside in the eating areas ya lousy cheapskate! :)
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    brydeemer said:

Marathon said:

Finally went ahead and got my weekend pass. I just have one suggestion, if the CGS guys have any 'pull' with the organisers, can they get some chairs or benches placed in the area behind artist's alley? Last year there was a big empty space which could have been used as a rest area. My feet will definitely appreciate it.

As a person who has attended countless conventions, I hear you on this.

There are two things to consider:

1) Chairs at the convention center are outrageously expensive. Renting extras so that people can take a load off just isn't in the budget. Honestly, it's not even remotely possible. You have no idea how much that stuff costs.

2) This year the show floor will be even bigger and filled with many more booths and artists. There won't be an empty space. This is bad for sitting, but great for getting more for your money.

Bry
    Thanks for explaining the ins and outs, and if it means more stuff and more guests, my feet will understand. :D
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    luke52 said:

brydeemer said:

Marathon said:

Finally went ahead and got my weekend pass. I just have one suggestion, if the CGS guys have any 'pull' with the organisers, can they get some chairs or benches placed in the area behind artist's alley? Last year there was a big empty space which could have been used as a rest area. My feet will definitely appreciate it.

As a person who has attended countless conventions, I hear you on this.

There are two things to consider:

1) Chairs at the convention center are outrageously expensive. Renting extras so that people can take a load off just isn't in the budget. Honestly, it's not even remotely possible. You have no idea how much that stuff costs.

2) This year the show floor will be even bigger and filled with many more booths and artists. There won't be an empty space. This is bad for sitting, but great for getting more for your money.

Bry
    That's good to hear. The more artists/booths the better. I can't wait for this. It's gonna be my first con and I have a feeling I'm going to love it!
    You so will, it is a great con, run by real fans of he medium
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    The next 10 guests have been announced. Starting to look like a pretty impressive line up.

J Scott Campbell - Critically acclaimed co-creator of Gen 13 and creator of Danger Girl

Simone Bianchi - Artist on Wolverine, and known for numerous Marvel and DC books

Lee Bermejo - Before Watchmen Rorschach artist, also known for Daredevil & Joker

Brian Bolland - Living legend, Batman: The Killing Joke artist, Judge Dredd & many more

Yildiray Cinar - Known for Legion of Superheroes, Fury of Firestorm & currently on Earth 2 as part of the DC 52

Gabriele Dell’Otto - Painter/Artist on Marvel’s Secret War and Marvel’s Annihilation 

David Finch - Famed illustrator on Batman: The Dark Knight, Cyberforce with Top Cow and others

David Mack - Artist and Writer on Kabuki & Daredevil: End of Days. JLA and Alias cover artist

Bill Sienkewicz - Award winning artist, Electra: Assassin, Stray Toasters, New Mutants, and many more

Chrissie Zullo - Up and coming Artist on Madam Xanadu & cover artist for Cindrella: From Fabletown with Love
  • Options
    Really solid additions. Can only imagine what the fight to get on J Scott Campbell's list would be like!
  • Options
    Gargoyle said:

Really solid additions. Can only imagine what the fight to get on J Scott Campbell's list would be like!

I think I'll be in the scrum.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Hmm, wondering what to get Bolland to sign this year?
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    I'm always surprised by the fervor over J. Scott Campbell. He's really not that good, right?

Bry
  • Options
    I don't get it either, he's not bad though. If it free's up the other queues, he's the greatest!
  • Options
    brydeemer said:

I'm always surprised by the fervor over J. Scott Campbell. He's really not that good, right?

Bry

I'm not usually a fan of that early image era style of art (I can give or take Jim Lee) but there's something about the cartoony style Campbell has I've always liked.
  • Options
    brydeemer said:

Bry

To each their own. As I've mentioned on another thread I can't stand Humberto Ramos but I know there are lots who love his work.
  • Options
    Getting close now, time to start planning my 'autograph hunt'.
  • Options
    Me too. Its slightly different for me this year though as I'll have a 6 year old Green Lantern in tow!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    CGS panel sounds cool. Think I'll have to check that one out. Not long to go now, I'm excited!
  • Options
    Never went to con until last years London Super Comic Con - only went because of CGS presence. Was great. Never been to a panel so it's only fitting that I attend a CGS panel for my first one. :)
  • Options
    For some reason only just realised today the CGS guys were gong to be at the con..will be great to see you fellas!
  • Options
    I haven't caught up with the latest episodes yet, so have Bryan and Pants mentioned their itinerary yet? Has Peter confirmed his possible appearance as well?
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Other than working at the convention, the only thing Bryan and I have on our schedule is the panel we're hosting Sunday from 12:30 to 1:30.

Peter mentioned on his February 12th episode of The Daily Rios that he won't be attending.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Correct! Not in the cards this year. Although I had the time, my teaching schedule this year falls on days around the weekend - which means I would've missed almost three classes. So it was a no for this year.
  • Options
    Any plans as yet for a meet up Saturday evening?
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    danGP said:

Any plans as yet for a meet up Saturday evening?

Nothing is set in stone, but it's looking like we'll be headed to the Fox Excel after the con on Saturday.
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing you all there. I'll be the guy looking awkward by himself - if you see a guy with a Death's Head (the original model, yes?) tshirt on, come up and say hi!
  • Options
    Although if anyone recognizes me from my profile pic, i'll be thoroughly impressed ;)
    See you at the fox if not before
  • Options
    I'm going to be in south London this afternoon and evening anyone else have some pre con beers?
  • Options
    Sorry Colin, its an early morning drive to the con tomorrow for me
  • Options
    All this week I keep seeing Bryan Deemer look-a-likes walking around London.
  • Options
    On a slight tangent, I just grabbed my Batman: Death and the Maidens trade off the shelf for Klaus Janson to sign... and just saw it's already been signed by Greg Rucka! Weird, since I've never met him. I can only assume I bought it off Ebay and forgot about the signature. 8-}
  • Options
    Marathon said:

On a slight tangent, I just grabbed my Batman: Death and the Maidens trade off the shelf for Klaus Janson to sign... and just saw it's already been signed by Greg Rucka! Weird, since I've never met him. I can only assume I bought it off Ebay and forgot about the signature. 8-}

I had a similar experience years ago at a SDCC. I was manning the table while my boss and friend was off exploring the other exhibits, and when he came back, he gave me a copy of the first volume of The Simpsons trade collections. (It was brand new at the time.) I thanked him and set it aside; I already had the comics and wasn't particularly interested in the trade, especially as there were no extras attached to it. Still, a free book is a free book. I thumbed through it, and when I got home I put it on the shelf. A few years later I pulled it down to read it -- by that time, the original comics were buried in the boxes and I was looking for a quick read -- and was startled to find that there was an inscription on the inside front cover: a personal salutations from Matt Groening, complete with a sketch of Bart Simpson. Done in gold ink. For some reason, my friend had forgotten to tell me about it, figuring I was going to find it while we were still at the con and he could savor my expression at the surprise. Why I never saw the inscription to begin with is beyond me.
  • Options
    Great first day. Got a fantastic John McRea sketch of a Mars Attacks martian (£20 an absolute bargain), a bunch of small press prints and sketches, a load of signatures and best of all a Mark Buckingham sketch of some Fables goblins. Tomorrow, hopefully, I'll have sketches by JK Woodwood, Brian Bolland and Kevin Maguire to pick up. The three guys walking around dressed as Judges looked fantastic as well. Hopefully see some of you in The Fox later.