Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1282 Talkback: Avengers vs X-Men Issue 12 Call In Show

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited October 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
It's the final issue of the Avengers vs X-Men series. How did it end and what are it's repercussions for the Marvel Universe? We give our thought on the issue and take some phone calls from our listeners to hear what they think. (1:22:05)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Great show guys. Cap had me in stitches... Again.
  • Options
    Cap was superb!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I was listening with my head phones on, Cap called in and I busted up laughing. My wife looked at me like I completely lost it. I was going to call in but how the hell do you follow Drunk Cap?! You can't top that kind of presence.

As for the AvX #12, it fell flat for me.

The final fight with Cyclops went by too fast. In the previous issues you could sense the desperation that Cap and the Avengers were at, and that was missing. This fight did not live up to its true stature.

The ending with Hope and Wanda also seemed to much of an easy ending. I feel cheated. I didn't feel like there was any kind of real struggle, I got no sense that this was a fight for the fate of the world.

I can't say what i would have done differently, but it just wasn't as good as the previous issues. Maybe they should have saved Xavier's death for this issue, I don't know.

• Options
    It was kool talking to you guys, looking forward to the next call in show. if i have off for the day. that is. CGS FTW!
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I’m second Cap on Storm’s “Indian” look. I miss the Mohawk hair and leather outfit. :))
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    edited October 2012
    I liked this event overall. I will say it made me dislike Captain America a bit. I think it showed him as a self-righteous, sanctimonious hypocrite. Did everyone including Cap forget how he helped tear apart the Superhero community in Civil War? Whose side are you on? Wasn't Captain America the one who attacked S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and take the side that wasn't the government's and didn't he lead Black Goliath to his death? Didn't Cap realize what he did and decided to give up and surrender? Isn't that what Cyclops did? With the exception of leading someone to their death? How are they different? How can Captain America be so self-righteous in front of Cyclops when he did the same thing himself? That bothered me a bit. I am intrigued about the emergence of Mutants again. The Marvel Universe is becoming rather interesting and I would like to see where it goes from here.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I am intrigued about the emergence of Mutants again.

So am I, although I wonder how wide-spread it will be (i.e., how much influence Joe Quesada still has on Marvel publishing). I say this because "no more mutants" was one of Joe's very public objectives when he took over as EIC (another was to end Spidey's marriage). He felt that mutants should be returned to a small minority within the Marvel Universe (so that they would seem more mysterious, and more vulnerable to hatred, in his words). He felt that the explosion of mutants in the '90s was an unfortunate circumstance, and thus found a way (via Bendis) to erase most of them (just as he later found a way to erase Spidey's marriage). Now it seems that mutants will be proliferating once again. Perhaps he has changed his mind? He's certainly famous for his flip-flops (e.g., consider the numbers of times that Marvel titles reverted to issue #1, because "new readers would be intimidated by large numbers," and then re-reverted to issue #500 or #600 as those milestones rolled around). Perhaps current EIC Alonso disagrees with Joe's assessment? Hopefully Alonso will have the courage of his convictions, unlike his whimsical predecessor.
  • Options
    Well, considering he's not longer EIC, maybe this is the reemergence of mutants. Although, as Chief Creator Officer, what the heck is Quesada's responsibilities when it comes to Marvel Comics?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    jaydee74 said:

Well, considering he's not longer EIC, maybe this is the reemergence of mutants. Although, as Chief Creator Officer, what the heck is Quesada's responsibilities when it comes to Marvel Comics?

I think his title puts him above both the publishing side, and involves him with the other media projects- movies, TV, video games, etc., and coordinating them with the comics side.
  • Options
    I see. So he's more responsible for the media part of the Marvel and not so much the print side?
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I see. So he's more responsible for the media part of the Marvel and not so much the print side?

I'm not sure. I would guess that, like a brand manager at other character/licensing companies, he is in a position to oversee creative across all platforms. With print being just one of those platforms.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    DRUNK CAP WAS AWESOME!!!
  • Options
    I thought Jeff loeb was in charge of marvel media.
  • Options

I thought Jeff loeb was in charge of marvel media.

I think Loeb is specifically in charge of TV. Sort of the EIC of their TV projects, to borrow the publishing term. And I think Quesada is over him.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    This CGS episode was a bright spot after listening to Romney lie for 90 minutes about his healthcare plan & the 5 trillion dollar lie on taxes. On the plus side, I'm glad that Marvel put together a good event after World War Hulk, I might get this 13 issue event down the line. Currently, I am reading the Wedding of Cyclops & Phoenix trade after finishing 6 Claremont era Masterworks, & a few X-Men trades beyond over the last three years.

Matthew
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    mguy1977 said:

This CGS episode was a bright spot after listening to Romney lie for 90 minutes about his healthcare plan & the 5 trillion dollar lie on taxes. On the plus side, I'm glad that Marvel put together a good event after World War Hulk, I might get this 13 issue event down the line. Currently, I am reading the Wedding of Cyclops & Phoenix trade after finishing 6 Claremont era Masterworks, & a few X-Men trades beyond over the last three years.

Matthew

Are you REALLY going to go down that road again? Perception always has us believing what we want to believe, on BOTH sides. My twitter feed can illustrate that.

That's all I will say on the ComicGeekSpeak forum. Perhaps if there is a PoliticsGeekSpeak site out there I can post threads to storm both fronts.

M
  • Options
    So, I thought this was kind of awesome and wanted to share:
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

So, I thought this was kind of awesome and wanted to share:

very funny.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    edited October 2012

jaydee74 said:

I am intrigued about the emergence of Mutants again.

So am I, although I wonder how wide-spread it will be (i.e., how much influence Joe Quesada still has on Marvel publishing). I say this because "no more mutants" was one of Joe's very public objectives when he took over as EIC (another was to end Spidey's marriage). He felt that mutants should be returned to a small minority within the Marvel Universe (so that they would seem more mysterious, and more vulnerable to hatred, in his words). He felt that the explosion of mutants in the '90s was an unfortunate circumstance, and thus found a way (via Bendis) to erase most of them (just as he later found a way to erase Spidey's marriage). Now it seems that mutants will be proliferating once again. Perhaps he has changed his mind? He's certainly famous for his flip-flops (e.g., consider the numbers of times that Marvel titles reverted to issue #1, because "new readers would be intimidated by large numbers," and then re-reverted to issue #500 or #600 as those milestones rolled around). Perhaps current EIC Alonso disagrees with Joe's assessment? Hopefully Alonso will have the courage of his convictions, unlike his whimsical predecessor.

I think Joe Q had to do something about what Morrison was doing. Under Morrison's run the mutant population exploded. It was looking like homo sapien would be completely replaced within 2-3 generations. So while I understand that it got out of hands I feel like they totally went too far in the opposite direction.

Still listening to the ep buuuuut...

The Cuckoos are also part technological as well, they're bones are cybernetic. Actually they are Weapon IVX...I think. I get the numbers mixed up.

The 198 was the gang of mutants that was being detained at the mansion post M-Day, there was something like 300 mutants left. I hate how this got twisted.

I highly suggested everyone read Uncanny X-Men #19

But sooooo true. The Avengers really pushed the Phoenix Five into the dark zone.
  • Options
    Matt said:

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

Are you REALLY going to go down that road again? Perception always has us believing what we want to believe, on BOTH sides. My twitter feed can illustrate that.

That's all I will say on the ComicGeekSpeak forum. Perhaps if there is a PoliticsGeekSpeak site out there I can post threads to storm both fronts.

M

CGS Matt, did you even listen to the episode? Pants talked about the debate & the importance of the debate. As for your stupid comments I am going to say this once.

I enjoyed the CGS episode more than the debates & I stayed as such, that is all. You have to turn everything inside out on my opinions & comments. The next time you want to say something just don't. I strongly suggest you take this advice.

Matthew
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    mguy1977 said:

Matt said:

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

M

CGS Matt, did you even listen to the episode? Pants talked about the debate & the importance of the debate. As for your stupid comments I am going to say this once.

I enjoyed the CGS episode more than the debates & I stayed as such, that is all. You have to turn everything inside out on my opinions & comments. The next time you want to say something just don't. I strongly suggest you take this advice.

Matthew
    I didn't get to listen to the episode yet, but I'll have to talk to Pants about accusing EITHER candidate of lying for 90 minutes. I hate when the show or forum about comics discuss politics, religion, or the significance of the Beatles. It wastes time, thread space, and never gets resolved; only shuts down the thread.

As for your bolded threat; seriously? Seriously? Do I even NEED to post how I handle threats & ultimatums?!

M

• Options
    If you don't want to talk politics on the forum, the best bet is to not respond to any political talk bait. There are those who are always going to try to provoke a political conversation. They will likely not change. Personally, I think ignoring the bait actually keeps things on track better than challenging the bait.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    David_D said:

Personally, I think ignoring the bait actually keeps things on track better than challenging the bait.

That's probably what those damn trouts thought last sunday.... X(
  • Options

David_D said:

Personally, I think ignoring the bait actually keeps things on track better than challenging the bait.

That's probably what those damn trouts thought last sunday.... X(
    I find dynamite ALWAYS works for catching fish.

M.
  • Options
    X( So. Um. How about the Marvel NOW! stuff coming out of all of this. Sounds interesting, right? I still think Cyclops was right. :)>-
  • Options
    I'm getting the Uncanny Avengers on a trial basis.

Matthew
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2012
    I like AVX 12, fishing, and Romney.

Drunk Cap was an awesome surprise!

I'm looking forward to hearing Jamie's thoughts on the issue.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Speaking of call in shows weren't these supposed to happen a regular basis?
  • Options
    Maybe Matt will like that I stated to go to my Facebook for politics?

Speaking of comments, did anyone catch my joke about the debate? No one liked it? I know Pants glossed over it. I thought it was funny.
    No?
    I'm going to go hide in a cave now.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I thought all of the jokes, including the one(s) about the debate, were funny.

Great show overall and suddenly at the end Drunk Cap made the episode even better.

I haven't read a single issue of AvX but I've had the hardcover preordered for a while now and will enjoy cracking it open to read the whole thing about a month from now. I always enjoy the CGS episodes about events, whether I'm reading them or not.

Lastly, about the political stuff, all I can say is that I appreciated the non-partisanship on the episode, and I appreciate it whenever people can refrain from partisanship on the message boards. That's not to say that I think people should be non-political. If they really are compelled to say something against one of the candidates, then it's their free speech to make whatever comment they want to, even on a non-political forum. But as someone who isn't going to vote for either candidate, I really appreciate media like CGS where I can usually unplug from the political fervor. It's all surely important stuff, and it isn't as though I hate politics, but a potshot against one of the candidates always has me, personally, rolling my eyes and thinking "As if the other guy is that much better?" Again, that's just my view. All I'm really trying to say is that for the next month or so, though I can't expect anyone much less EVERYone to stay nonpolitical all the time, I will appreciate it whenever people can refrain from potshots.