Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Politics on the show

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2012

I support you Deemer. Deemer for President!

Mr_Cosmic said:

Life is to short to hate someone over politics.

In my office last week I was told by another employee that "Obama isn't American". I immediately took that as a racist remark and nearly stormed out of the front door of the office (and quit my job) before, at my prompting, my boss told that employee to apologize and he did.

I'm still not happy. I've only spoken to that senior employee two or three times since and for very short periods of time.

I'll have normal conversations with an uncle who is racist. He's a blood relative. But I don't want to talk with this guy. It's hard to say that I hate him, or Romney or Bush, though.

My last job I was working for the richest man in town. He was pretty much bed ridden and I sat with him at night helping him get into the bathroom and getting dressed and stuff. This was 2008 and he asked me who I wanted to be the next President. I explained to him how I hoped it would be some third party person,but since I knew that was unlikely I hoped it was Obama. What I didn't realize was this old man had contributed a nice sum of money to McCain's campaign. So for the next 4 nights at work he kept telling me how McCain was the only good choice and other stuff. I would sit there and listen. But also let him know my mind was made up. Well election night I had to work. And win Obama won he looked at me and said "Well Newt,I guess you are happy that C**n won!" I just chalked it up to a cranky 88 year old man being cranky.

But then the town I live in is full of mega conservative Ultra religious people. So I have learned it is easier to not even bother talking about politics or religion with anyone around here. With me being a Atheist and diffidently not ultra conservative.

Perfect example,when I got my "new" car back in 2009. It is a white Buick LeSabre and I had trouble finding it in the parking lots cause there is so many of that model in that color around. So I ordered a Bad Religion,the band,sticker to put on my back windshield. Less than a week later I am walking back to my car after shopping and see one of my back tail lights is busted. But I see a note stuck under my windshield wiper. I assume someone backed into me and left me info on how to contact them. Nope,here is what the note said.

"That sticker ofends me and my Lourd. You will bryne in hell for it. I will prey everynight for your sole!"

Yes the spelling mistakes were in the note. Well I blew it off thinking ok it is just one crazy. Nope over the course of 4 months I got many notes left and many people walking up to me talking about "You need to be saved young man!" So finally I just scraped the sticker off and put up a Ramones and Misfits sticker. But I do get stares and people talking behind my back in stores about the way I dress. I love horror movies and have a bunch of horror movie shirts. Which i wear all year round. I had one younger lady come up to me and ask me "Why do you worship Satan?" So I explained to her how I don't believe in any form of a high power. "So that means you worship Satan." was her reply. So I tried to explain that I couldn't worship anything that I don't believe exists. Finally after about 10 minutes I gave up and walked away. Ahh the "joys" of living in a small town in the Deep South.

Speaking og family members that are racist. I have an uncle who is a minister who is one of the biggest racists I have ever met. Sadly he comes up here all the time to visit my parents. So usually when he is here I stay in my room when he is awake. Now my father has asked him a few times to not use various racial slurs around me. Which I will give him this the last 3 times he has come up he hasn't .But what blows my mind is did Jesus say to love everybody? Also he hates all Asians. I don't know why. Which is weird cause his wife,my dad's older sister. Is 1/4th Korean. I can just imagine the crap I would catch from him if he knew about me being an Atheist. Weird his son is a youth minister and knows about my views on religion and has no issue with them. "Newt you are a good man. And really you follow more of the Christian beliefs that half the people that call themselves Christian." This is also the same cousin that was a total hell raiser when he was younger. And then was part of a 1% motorcycle club for many years.

• Options
    You will bryne in hell for it
    That wasn't a misspelling. They wanted you trapped in Hell with nothing but Lab Rats, Trio and Byrne's "Demon" series to read.

Which is truly hateful.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2012

You will bryne in hell for it
    That wasn't a misspelling. They wanted you trapped in Hell with nothing but Lab Rats, Trio and Byrne's "Demon" series to read.

Which is truly hateful.

Yeah first thing that popped in my mind when I read it was "Is this person a comic fan or maybe a Talking Heads fan?"

From what I read Bryne's run on Doom Patrol wasn't good either. Same with Babe.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I look forward to the day when Victor Von Doom makes discussions about politics meaningless.

Indeed.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I'm with @blackumbrella neither side is filled with villains or idiots. Just different points of view.

I remember a kid getting mad at me once and saying, "you always think you're right"! And I thought...."well, of course I think I'm right. If I thought I was wrong I'd change my mind".
  • Options
    @david_d where have you been? We could have used you on another thread discussing an altogether different type of show politics a couple days ago. I kept waiting for you to pop in and send everyone back to their corners.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited October 2012
    random73 said:

@david_d where have you been? We could have used you on another thread discussing an altogether different type of show politics a couple days ago. I kept waiting for you to pop in and send everyone back to their corners.

Some things need room to get talked out.

Some other things feel, to me, like good time and energy thrown after bad on an off topic. Which is not to say a thread like this is not allowed or something. Of course it is. I just sometimes think it is good, before things get heated or personal, to stop and ask if this is what we come here for, that's all.
  • Options
    You're my hero.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I liked Luthor's hard line against Krpytonians. I was sad when he was...removed from office.
  • Options

I support you Deemer. Deemer for President!

Mr_Cosmic said:

Life is to short to hate someone over politics.

In my office last week I was told by another employee that "Obama isn't American". I immediately took that as a racist remark and nearly stormed out of the front door of the office (and quit my job) before, at my prompting, my boss told that employee to apologize and he did.

I'm still not happy. I've only spoken to that senior employee two or three times since and for very short periods of time.

I'll have normal conversations with an uncle who is racist. He's a blood relative. But I don't want to talk with this guy. It's hard to say that I hate him, or Romney or Bush, though.
    Why would Obama "not being American" be a racist remark? If someone said Romney wasn't American (Maybe he's Icelandic?) would not be racist, would it?
  • Options
    David_D said:

Let's. . . just not do this. How about that? Rather than take a negative thread and load it up with more negativity and nonsense, let's just go find or make threads about comics and talk comics. Heck, the original poster of this topic has not even been back to continue the conversation. So why make this thread into some mess it doesn't need to be. Time better spent talking comics, as far as I am concerned. If people want to bash each other about politics, there is the entire rest of the Internet for that. Personally, that is not what I come here to talk about.

See you there.

So you came to a thread called "Politics on CGS" and are dismayed that there is a fair amount of negativity...

So, how long have you been on the internet?
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

David_D said:

Let's. . . just not do this. How about that? Rather than take a negative thread and load it up with more negativity and nonsense, let's just go find or make threads about comics and talk comics. Heck, the original poster of this topic has not even been back to continue the conversation. So why make this thread into some mess it doesn't need to be. Time better spent talking comics, as far as I am concerned. If people want to bash each other about politics, there is the entire rest of the Internet for that. Personally, that is not what I come here to talk about.

See you there.

So you came to a thread called "Politics on CGS" and are dismayed that there is a fair amount of negativity...

He's one of the Admins and is giving a gentle warning...and it's his JOB to check on threads that may have issues. That's why he checked out the thread and also why he posted.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Tonebone said:

David_D said:

See you there.

I never said that I was surprised a thread about politics went negative.

And, as Cory just suggested, I didn't pick it because the title made me say, "THAT'S what I want for me!"

Rather, at the point where it was taking the inevitable turn from the general to the personal, I was just posing the question as to whether this is really what everyone wants to be spending their time and energy talking about.
  • Options
    this is not @David_D's first rodeo. :)>- he is as cool a cat as there is.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Cory and David do a fine job and I'm glad that most everyone here has been civil. As someone who was active on the Newsarama boards in 2004 I'm pleased with how things go around here. ('course I wasn't here in '08 so maybe that was a mess, i dunno ;) )
  • Options
    David_D said:

Tonebone said:

David_D said:

See you there.

And, as Cory just suggested, I didn't pick it because the title made me say, "THAT'S what I want for me!"

Rather, at the point where it was taking the inevitable turn from the general to the personal, I was just posing the question as to whether this is really what everyone wants to be spending their time and energy talking about.
    Would it make any difference if I told you I intended to (but neglected to) put a smiley at the end of my post? I was not trying to be a smartass, only snarky towards the overall divisive vibe of the internet in general. Sorry... I meant no offense. I am glad to have you keeping an eye on things!

• Options
    and now a word from our sponsors
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

David_D said:

Tonebone said:

David_D said:

See you there.

Would it make any difference if I told you I intended to (but neglected to) put a smiley at the end of my post? I was not trying to be a smartass, only snarky towards the overall divisive vibe of the internet in general. Sorry... I meant no offense. I am glad to have you keeping an eye on things!

Thanks. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Cory and David do a fine job and I'm glad that most everyone here has been civil. As someone who was active on the Newsarama boards in 2004 I'm pleased with how things go around here. ('course I wasn't here in '08 so maybe that was a mess, i dunno ;) )

:((
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited October 2012
    you too. Al... :x

don't make me post some more ami-con statues.. :-j
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Who are you again?

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Torchsong said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

@Torchsong

Oh! I'm sorry! How could I forget the mod who does the BEST job?

• Options
    Joss Whedon voices his views on Mitt Zomney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TiXUF9xbTo
  • Options
    I would like to share my thoughts about "politics" on comic podcasts - & life in general - for what they may be worth. (& I fully understand & accept that my thoughts might be worth nothing!) It is my belief that EVERYTHING in life is political in some way. The people we vote for (or don't), the things we buy (or don't), the causes we support (or don't), the places we choose to live (or not), the people with whom we choose to associate with (or not), etc. ALL of these things, even if not obviously political, reflect our inherent biases, prejudices, beliefs, & politics - whether consciously or unconsciously. Knowing someone else's political beliefs/biases/prejudices can make you feel closer to that person (because you share the same world view), or cause you to withdraw from that person (because you do not share the same world view). Does this mean that people should not share their personal world views? Of course not. This is still a relatively "free" country, & people can say whatever they wish. But, we must also be aware that, while I am free to say what I think & feel, others have the SAME freedom. There are also some very real consequences that we must be willing to accept when we choose to exercise our freedom of speech. IE: If one is going to make racist statements, then one needs to be prepared for (& accept) any backlash that occurs in response. Therefore, in regard to CGS getting "political" & individual Geeks expressing their individual political beliefs, I say: More power to them! They are free to say whatever they want. It is their show. And others are free to listen, never listen again, or add to the conversation by sharing their own beliefs (whether they agree or not with the politics they heard on CGS) in order to promote dialogue and understanding. If something is important to a person, if he/she feels very strongly about something, then he/she should act on it and do what he/she feels is right (within reason and the law). I wouldn't want to censor anybody, but, because I don't want to censor the thoughts of others, this doesn't mean I have to support what they have said. Personally, when I hear things that other people say - particularly when those others disagree with my world view - it causes me to re-examine MY beliefs. In having to defend MY point of view, I have to think about it. I have to know what I think, & why I think it. Then, I can examine those beliefs in light of what I heard from others, which only helps to expand my view. Who knows? Maybe I will change my mind about something I thought I "knew" for certain? Maybe I will be convinced even more that I am "right"? Something else? The possibilities are endless. Besides, we can't know what we are FOR, if we don't know what we are AGAINST. It is in that struggle that we have the ability to grow and evolve if we choose to engage in the process.
  • Options
    On the other hand, I feel very strongly that there's a time and a place for everything. And a podcast (or forum) on comic books is really not the venue for political discussions. There are podcasts and forums specifically for those discussions. I'm all for folks discussing and even arguing their positions on politics, but it doesn't belong here. The principle of Free Speech doesn't mean that each and every topic needs to be spoken through just any venue at the drop of a hat, only that it can be. Let these places be left to the discussion of colorfully printed magazines of fantastic wonder, and leave the politicizing outside.
  • Options

On the other hand, I feel very strongly that there's a time and a place for everything. And a podcast (or forum) on comic books is really not the venue for political discussions. There are podcasts and forums specifically for those discussions. I'm all for folks discussing and even arguing their positions on politics, but it doesn't belong here. The principle of Free Speech doesn't mean that each and every topic needs to be spoken through just any venue at the drop of a hat, only that it can be. Let these places be left to the discussion of colorfully printed magazines of fantastic wonder, and leave the politicizing outside.

I will respectfully disagree.

I am working on a special episode of my comic book podcast that is a history lesson on Jack Kirby, and a discussion of his politics are vital to understanding of his work. The New Gods especially when you realize that Kirby modeled Darksied on Nixon to the point that when he returned to the character in 1984, he struggled to re-find the character's voice. Or how his "New Deal" beliefs informed all of his Captain America work, and how that shifted the character from Steve Englehart's "New Society/Civil Rights" version of the character. And SO Much more.

If you talk Alan Moore's work, you have to understand his anti-Thatcher view of the world and his beliefs in anarchy.

If you discuss the work of Chuck Dixon, you need to bring in his conservative view of the world, especially in how it informed his Punisher work. Or Tim Truman's activism on behalf of Native Americans. Or Peter David's liberalism and rejection of religion in his X-Factor run....

I'm nto saying that a comic podcats shoudl be Rush Limbaugh or Randy Rhodes, but if you talk about creators in depth, their beliefs will inform their works, and it's important to see where they are to put the work in context.

• Options
    CourtOfOwlsCourtOfOwls Posts: 41
    edited November 2012

I have to say that one of the best podcast episodes I ever listened to was on a podcast called The 4th Letter. On that episode, the hosts discussed the political beliefs of various writers/artists/creators and whether or not the politics/world view of said people could/would/should make a difference to fans considering buying their products. So, for example, if Bill Willingham is known as a Tea Party zealot & I despise everything the Tea Party stands for, do I want to buy Fables knowing that any profits I have given Willingham may go to support causes I don't believe in?? I think these are very relevant questions. Money is power, and money is a way that we can send a message to ourselves, others, & the world about what we support, what we are against, what are values and priorities are, etc. People, governments, & organizations have used boycotts & money as a way of protesting and/or supporting issues & ideas forever.
    In this day and age of social media, blogs, web pages, etc etc. fans are learning more and more about the creators of the comic books we love. One need just follow a writer on twitter or facebook, & one can learn more than they ever wanted to know about that writer's beliefs. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? Should knowing these things about someone change how we view their work? Should it cause us to buy more - or less - of their work? I have no easy answers, but I feel the conversation is warranted and justified.
    We live in a world of ever expanding awareness of who & what the world around us thinks, and this should expand our own, individual consciousness. We should make our purchases with full knowledge and understanding of the possible consequences & implications of our purchase. Even if we know negative things about someone, we may still choose to buy from that person, but we are doing so understanding and accepting how we are justifying those purchases. We can't bury our heads in the sand & tell ourselves we didn't know. I mean, of course, one CAN do those things, but it will not diminish one's culpability.
    I know for me, I could never eat at a Chik Fil-A knowing that I am making a fundamentalist Christian with strong views I disagree with wealthy. I know for me, after learning Mel Gibson's anti-semitic views, could never watch another Mel Gibson film. I know that, after learning Woody Allen dated his step-daughter while living in the same house as his long time girlfriend, I could never watch another of his films again. And, I know that no matter how great Fables might be, I would never buy a single copy because I cannot support his world view.
    Nothing in this world is black and white, and with increasing globalization, outsourcing, etc., more and more of the world, it's politics, economies, etc. becoming intertwined it is harder and harder to see anything as ALL good or ALL bad. There is a lot of grey, and for every downside of an individual, corporation, government, or country there may also be some positive. We can love Apple products, but hate that the components are made in slave labor like factories. I heard a very interesting TED talk on this very subject, in which it was pointed out all of the advances & positive impact Apple products have had in "third world" countries by virtue of that technology being available there to enhance commerce and education. So, do you boycott Apple because of the manufacturing process, or do you support Apple because how their products improved the lives of many? Again, there are no easy answers.
    Talking politics is not about finding or getting answers. It is about finding out about, & getting to know, ourselves and the world around us. If you want to bury your head in the sand, go right ahead. But that won't save you.

• Options
    Okay, then let's say that I'm good with discussing politics as far as how they influence the creators and how the characters within a story are motivated. But beyond that it quickly turns into a morass where participants tend to sink into defensive and offensive modes and into constant bickering. Real world political discussions should be reserved for the proper arenas.