Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Uncanny Avengers #1 (SPOILERS)

I dug it.

I think one thing that was clear from the earliest pages of the issue, lest there was any lingering doubt, this is NOT a reboot. A jumping on point, and a heavily promoted and advertised one? Sure. But the issue opens with the consequences of AvX on the characters as well as on the the place of mutants in the MU. None of that fallout from AvX is being ignored.

The cinematic Cassaday art took me back to the early days of Astonishing X-Men (and seeing his Captain America reminded me how much I enjoy the way he draws Cap's uniform). Of course, there is a chance it will have the same schedule problems that Astonishing did, but only time will tell. For the moment, while it is still on time, it is a great looking book. I've been loving Remender across a lot of his Marvel work, and I think he was especially strong on Uncanny X-Force, so this looks to be his chance to really step up and carry a flagship sort of book at the intersection of the X and Avengers brands.

I think Havok will be interesting to follow in this. Especially as they want him to be leader on a team that is filled with big personalities and other leaders.

And... Red Skull stealing Xavier's brain?? Come on. That was a fantastic, beyond pulpy image. I actually laughed out loud on the train at the sheer ballsyness of that. One of those ideas that is so over the top that it worked and shocked in its classic villany.

So, as the first NOW! book, it is not a different continuity or style of book. It is just a great book with a solid, jump-on start. And nothing wrong with that.

You?

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    AWWWWWW DAMN IT! RED SKULL STEALS XAVIER'S BRAIN!?!??!?! NOW I HAVE TO BUY THE BOOK!
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Makes the pulpy far-out science fiction take on Captain America they have been advertising make a little more sense, huh?
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    And Thor likes lattes! ~O)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Another thing I loved about Red Skull being in the book: after another long round of heroes vs heroes, nothing says Bring Back the Bad Guys like Red Skull.
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    David_D said:

Another thing I loved about Red Skull being in the book: after another long round of heroes vs heroes, nothing says Bring Back the Bad Guys like Red Skull.

Everyone hates the Nazis.

• Options
    danGP said:

David_D said:

Everyone hates the Nazis.

Exactly.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    I liked it. Definitely on for issue 2. Red skull + brotherhood of evil mutants is awesome.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Dug it! why wouldn't I?

Not as good as the recent Secret Avengers issue I read last night, but it looks like it will definitely be a fun ride.

My only reservation is Havok. He is almost as much of a wet blanket as his brother. And Cap's rationale for wanting to include him on the team doesn't hold any water with me. If he truly wants to help the mutant cause, he should be distancing them from any connection to the Summers name... including his brother. Alex's girlfriend is the daughter of Magneto for crying out loud! PR nightmare.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Hex said:

Alex's girlfriend is the daughter of Magneto for crying out loud! PR nightmare.

So are The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Didn't stop Cap from putting them on the team wayyyyyyyyy back when. And they were ex-criminals!
  • Options
    I'm with @WetRats on this one. Cap is all about second chances and believing in you more than you believe in yourself.

And while a Summers is a PR risk, a Summers that can be a completely different representative of mutants is a potential PR win. It works for me.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I'm with @WetRats on this one. Cap is all about second chances and believing in you more than you believe in yourself.

Although, what I saw of Cap in AVX was a pretty unrecognizable unreasonable hardass.

What's largely kept me away from Marvel (especially their events) since Civil War is their tendency to arbitrarily change characters' personalities to suit the needs of the story, rather than to grow the stories from the characters' established personalities.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Feeling like I was being used by an ex-girlfriend over and over again, I avoided AvX and its status quo change; I dropped Cap and Cap & Bucky a little after their most recent relaunch; when did Red Skull come back from the dead? I thought his consciousness was lost inside his daughter, Sin, or the weird TV-gut-guy or something else?

I picked this up on a whim, but alas, not enough to keep me interested. Sorry, Marvel, I'm my own man now. I don't need you to make me feel like a good comic book reader anymore.
  • Options
    @Fredzilla He got better? I don't know. Who cares! Did I mention he stole Professor X's brain??

HIS BRAIN!! That was nuts. I'm in.
  • Options
    @fredzilla makes a good point. I hope there's an explanation on how he "got better".
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Yeah, I'm with @David_D on this one. Some ideas are just so "Only In Comics" Crazy that I have no choice but to surrender them completely (like when Dracula fired weaponized projectile vampires at England from his castle on the moon in Captain Britain & MI13, for instance). I don't know if I'll continue to pick this up monthly at $4 a whack, but I'm almost assuredly in when it comes time for the collected edition.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

Although, what I saw of Cap in AVX was a pretty unrecognizable unreasonable hardass.

What's largely kept me away from Marvel (especially their events) since Civil War is their tendency to arbitrarily change characters' personalities to suit the needs of the story, rather than to grow the stories from the characters' established personalities.
    That's interesting. I didn't have that problem. What stood out to you as out of character for Cap in AvX?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    David_D said:

@Fredzilla He got better? I don't know. Who cares! Did I mention he stole Professor X's brain??

I agree that the last page made the creepy-o-meter needle jump, but I was just confused as to how Red Skull got there.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

David_D said:

I agree that the last page made the creepy-o-meter needle jump, but I was just confused as to how Red Skull got there.
    I bet they have an explanation. It wouldn't be the first time that the cliffhanger entrance preceeded the backstory of what made that entrance possible.
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

That's interesting. I didn't have that problem. What stood out to you as out of character for Cap in AvX?
    His bullying, aggressive, "shut up and fight already" approach to the whole event.

Admittedly, this is my impression as seen through various excerpts and previews. The only AVX issues I read were the Simonson-drawn Avengers issues, which were pretty much sideshow stories.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

His bullying, aggressive, "shut up and fight already" approach to the whole event.

Admittedly, this is my impression as seen through various excerpts and previews. The only AVX issues I read were the Simonson-drawn Avengers issues, which were pretty much sideshow stories.
    Ah. I could see how it could seem that way, especially in outtakes. For me, while it wasn't the best event story for Cap (I think Fear Itself had better moments for him) his behavior didn't seem out of character to me. He saw a potential superweapon that needed to be contained, and later there was a tyrannical force that needed to be opposed. It felt right to me.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

I agree Rats. There was an exchange between Hank & Cap in one of the Coipel issues that speaks to what you've written.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    This got me back into reading Marvel after avoiding them for months. I thought it was a solid first issue, and a refreshing change from the Bendis era, which had worn thin for me.

The villain reveal would have had more impact if I hadn't seen the cover to issue two while buying this issue on Comixology. It's nice to see a clear villain being set-up, though, instead of an entire issue of heroes arguing.

I'm also concerned over whether they can make Havok interesting. I've only encountered the character off and on over the years, but most attempts to make him an A-lister seem to fail.

Overall, though, this has me eager to try more of the relaunches.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    WetRats said:

Hex said:

Alex's girlfriend is the daughter of Magneto for crying out loud! PR nightmare.

So are The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Didn't stop Cap from putting them on the team wayyyyyyyyy back when. And they were ex-criminals!
    Good call, you are right.
    However, I still think Alex is a wet blanket and if Cap is going to play with fire, they should have enlisted Polaris instead. She is wayyyyyyyyy hotter than Alex and how cool would it be to see the sibling rivalry between Wanda and Lorna. And it would give Hawkeye the chance to sleep with someone new!

(and by the way... look at how well having Scarlet Witch on the team worked out. She went nuts and killed Ant-man, Jack of Hearts, Hawkeye, and the Vision)
  • Options
    Hex said:

(and by the way... look at how well having Scarlet Witch on the team worked out. She went nuts and killed Ant-man, Jack of Hearts, Hawkeye, and the Vision)

In another case of arbitrary change of character to serve the story...
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Hex said:

Well... she did practice CHAOS magic. There were bound to be some bumpy times in her life.

And while it may have felt sudden at the time, it did set up for years worth of stories.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

Well... she did practice CHAOS magic. There were bound to be some bumpy times in her life.

And while it may have felt sudden at the time, it did set up for years worth of stories.
    YMMV, but for me, it set up years worth of dramatic cuts in my Marvel reading. I'm fully aware that I'm in the minority, but Bendis represents, to me, the darkest time in the history of the Avengers (it gets darker with the Hell forged team up with JRJR). I'd take the leather jackets back over anything he's done with the Avengers since Dissassembled.
  • Options
    I didn't watch the debate last night.
    I didn't watch playoff baseball last night
    but I can tell you Uncanny Avengers #1 was AWESOME!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    hauberk said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

YMMV, but for me, it set up years worth of dramatic cuts in my Marvel reading. I'm fully aware that I'm in the minority, but Bendis represents, to me, the darkest time in the history of the Avengers (it gets darker with the Hell forged team up with JRJR). I'd take the leather jackets back over anything he's done with the Avengers since Dissassembled.
    I agree. Bendis's run on Avengers didn't appeal to me. But then besides most of Alias,I haven't like any of his work at Marvel.

• Options
    I've never claimed to be a Bendis fan but having recently just re-read the first 12 or so issues of New Avengers I see what the appeal is. those issues are a heck of a lot of fun. Not as good as Thor with a latte, but fun.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:

I've never claimed to be a Bendis fan but having recently just re-read the first 12 or so issues of New Avengers I see what the appeal is. those issues are a heck of a lot of fun. Not as good as Thor with a latte, but fun.

I bought and read those. Really, really tried. I really didn't care for his dialog, and found his character mix to be utterly uncompelling:

Spiderman does not belong on any team... ever.
    Wolverine? Still the '90's, huh?
    Spider Woman? Never cared for her.
    Luke Cage? OK character, but not my choice for heavy hitters.
    Sentry? This one is the deal breaker. I hated everything about the original mini series, the way it was presented and everything about the character.

Other than that, I could totally get behind Bendis... he's got Cap, Iron Man and Hawkeye... now he just needs someone to write dialog... oh, and a couple of insect themed characters (maybe shrinky flying ones), a wise cracking gymnastic type (some fur, maybe?) and a couple of heavy hitters (not sure why, but I'm thinking glowing red eyes on one and maybe long blonde hair?).