Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Uncanny Avengers #1 (SPOILERS)

2»

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    hauberk said:

Spiderman does not belong on any team... ever.

I quite disagree.

Spider-Man, has Marvel Team-Upped with everyone over the years. Being an Avenger was long overdue. And it was an actual Bold New Direction for the character. I really liked Peter dealing with being accepted and respected by his peers. With Ultimate Spider-Man going strong at the time, and filling the need for a young, angsty Spider-Man, it was a great chance for 616 Spider-Man to grow the [bleep] up. Sadly, Civil War messed that story up to the point that OMD/BND was seen as the only solution.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    random73 said:

I've never claimed to be a Bendis fan but having recently just re-read the first 12 or so issues of New Avengers I see what the appeal is. those issues are a heck of a lot of fun. Not as good as Thor with a latte, but fun.

Which volume of New Avengers? The cuurent run?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited October 2012
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

I quite disagree.

Spider-Man, has Marvel Team-Upped with everyone over the years. Being an Avenger was long overdue. And it was an actual Bold New Direction for the character. I really liked Peter dealing with being accepted and respected by his peers. With Ultimate Spider-Man going strong at the time, and filling the need for a young, angsty Spider-Man, it was a great chance for 616 Spider-Man to grow the [bleep] up. Sadly, Civil War messed that story up to the point that OMD/BND was seen as the only solution.
    Oh, I know all about Marvel Team-Up, and that makes sense to me, though I am, admittedly quite the opposite of a Spiderman fan. Marvel Team-Up was just that temporary team-ups. Works pretty well from my perspective. I just don't see Spidey as the kind of character that fits on a team for any duration. A specific mission or crime, sure but not a card carry member. He's too much of a solo character, like Daredevil.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I found myself enjoying Spidey more in the New Avengers in his own book during the time just before Civil War and after Civil War.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Feeling like I was being used by an ex-girlfriend over and over again, I avoided AvX and its status quo change; I dropped Cap and Cap & Bucky a little after their most recent relaunch; when did Red Skull come back from the dead? I thought his consciousness was lost inside his daughter, Sin, or the weird TV-gut-guy or something else?

Red Skull coming back from the dead happens every Thursday right after lunch.

What, you didn't get the memo?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

I quite disagree.

Oh, I know all about Marvel Team-Up, and that makes sense to me, though I am, admittedly quite the opposite of a Spiderman fan. Marvel Team-Up was just that temporary team-ups. Works pretty well from my perspective. I just don't see Spidey as the kind of character that fits on a team for any duration. A specific mission or crime, sure but not a card carry member. He's too much of a solo character, like Daredevil.
    That's why it was a "bold new direction" for the character.

Daredevil is a solo because he's a real vigilante, skirting the edge of the law. Spider-Man was a solo because he was a nerdy kid who didn't know how to "play well with others." In New Avengers, he was brought into the fellowship of his peers and treated like the adult he had become. Seeing him sticking to the wall and being awkward in the "everyone standing around talking" scenes was hilarious, yet when the team got into fights, he was the most versatile person out there.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

I quite disagree.

That's why it was a "bold new direction" for the character.

Daredevil is a solo because he's a real vigilante, skirting the edge of the law. Spider-Man was a solo because he was a nerdy kid who didn't know how to "play well with others." In New Avengers, he was brought into the fellowship of his peers and treated like the adult he had become. Seeing him sticking to the wall and being awkward in the "everyone standing around talking" scenes was hilarious, yet when the team got into fights, he was the most versatile person out there.
    I see where you're coming from. I suppose it might just be my dislike for the character but where you see awkward and hilarious, I see annoying, disrespectful and disruptive. For me, Spidey and the Avengers are not chocolate and peanut butter. I see them more as salt cod and key lime pie... Ok and sublime separately and something to be avoided when put together.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I do love me some Wonderman!
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I didn't come away with a very good view of Cap when it came to AvX at all. He seemed like a sanctimonious, self-righteous hypocrite to me. I liked him more in this issue though. I liked this. The line-up is really interesting and cool and the last page was fantastic and makes me want #2.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    hmmm... i got this mostly because of Havok. (and i will probably get Avengers because of Sunspot and Cannonball.) i generally like Remender's work and i love Cassaday's, but i wasn't really blown away by the issue.

but that latte comment was hilarious!

also, the Red Skull getting X's brain didn't feel right... but thinking about it, now, it kinda does. Red Skull's a really, really EVIL guy!
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

(and by the way... look at how well having Scarlet Witch on the team worked out. She went nuts and killed Ant-man, Jack of Hearts, Hawkeye, and the Vision)

In another case of arbitrary change of character to serve the story...
    Well... she did practice CHAOS magic. There were bound to be some bumpy times in her life.

And while it may have felt sudden at the time, it did set up for years worth of stories.
    While I pretty much agree with that summation, wasn't the whole 'chaos magic' thing actually debunked within that storyline? Doctor Strange came right out and told the Avengers that there was no such thing, and that what Wanda did was simply to reorder reality, making her the most powerful person on Earth.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

hauberk said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

(and by the way... look at how well having Scarlet Witch on the team worked out. She went nuts and killed Ant-man, Jack of Hearts, Hawkeye, and the Vision)

In another case of arbitrary change of character to serve the story...
    Well... she did practice CHAOS magic. There were bound to be some bumpy times in her life.

And while it may have felt sudden at the time, it did set up for years worth of stories.
    YMMV, but for me, it set up years worth of dramatic cuts in my Marvel reading. I'm fully aware that I'm in the minority, but Bendis represents, to me, the darkest time in the history of the Avengers (it gets darker with the Hell forged team up with JRJR). I'd take the leather jackets back over anything he's done with the Avengers since Dissassembled.
    I agree. Bendis's run on Avengers didn't appeal to me. But then besides most of Alias,I haven't like any of his work at Marvel.

I take a differing position. While I didn't like his initial storyline, the Avengers Disassemble arc, I've since changed my opinion and have pretty much thoroughly enjoyed the whole ride since then. The only thing he did that I disagreed with, and still disagree with to this day, was dismissing the Beyonder as just a mutant Inhuman. Other than that, I've enjoyed the run.
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    edited October 2012

I really enjoyed his entire run. I think the only missteps were Secret Invasion and the period around the same time where all they seemed to do for a year was mix it up with the Red Hood and hide out in Doctor Strange's house. Was actually looking forward to using the change to jump off but between this book and Hickman taking over the regular series I guess I'll be sticking around for a while. Damn you Marvel Now.