Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Superior Spider-Man w/ Slott & Stegman begins in Jan.

W/ Amazing ending Dec., a new year a new series starting for the web crawler in January w/ Superior Spider-Man. After the first 3 issues w/ Stegman art duties will be followed by Ramos and Camuncoli on the series.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=41499

Share your thoughts on this development.

Matthew

Comments

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I haven't been buying Spider-man but planned to get 698-700 to see what happens. Not crazy about the name. And Spider-man always seemed so tortured. So do they kill off Aunt May or Mary Jane? Will one of his enemies do it? I guess there are 155 issues of Spider-man I have not read recently so if this direction doesn't bring me back I can read those.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Yuck.

F**K a buncha "dark".
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    WetRats said:

Yuck.

F**K a buncha "dark".

Agreed... one of the main reasons Spidey has been so great the last couple of years is exactly because Slott made the series fun again. After decades of Parker getting crapped on and a brooding "woe-is-me" Spider-man, his run has been refreshing. So this sounds like a huge step backwards.

However, I absolutely trust Dan Slott and will give it a shot.

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    We already know which villian discovers Peter is Spider-Man, and Slott has made the comment that after #700 he will have to go into hiding for fear of his life. If Aunt May gets offed, I'm fine with that, but they off MJ after butchering the marriage, I may go off the deep end. Every Slott written issue of ASM may end up getting used to light the smoker or grill.

On the other hand, if Carlie gets offed, I will have a statue built in Dan Slott's honor.

A little too much?
  • Options
    Superior Spider-Man!? Sounds like somebody's getting pretty full of themself.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I agree w/ @Greg kill Aunt May fine however kill MJ and we will have serious F**King issues Marvel. I liked Carlie but by no means is she a good replacement for a model MJ.

Matthew
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801

Or after 50 years in publication needs boner pills.

I kid, I kid.

Matthew
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

I kid, I kid.

Matthew
    I suppose if he suddenly became bi-polar, they could add The Average Spider-Man to the schedule and have the two books alternate every couple of weeks...

• Options

mguy1977 said:

I kid, I kid.

Matthew
    I suppose if he suddenly became bi-polar, they could add The Average Spider-Man to the schedule and have the two books alternate every couple of weeks...
    The So-So Spider-Man?

The Sub-Par Spider-Man?
  • Options
    The Mediocre Spider-Man
  • Options
    They won't kill MJ...according to Bleeding Cool(I think)....

SPOILERS!!!!!

MJ and the new SM are a thing, an item, a couple, together..etc etc etc
  • Options
    edited October 2012
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited October 2012
    Man, why does "new direction" always seem to equal "unpleasant as hell" lately?

Silly old me, wanting to actually enjoy my comics! 8-}
  • Options
    "He's not going to be doing things the old Spider-Man way. There will be a new way of doing things," said Slott, who was coy about whether it's actually Peter Parker under the mask. "You've got to ask yourself, what does 'Superior Spider-Man' mean? Does this mean a Spider-Man with a greater power set? Or maybe he's moving to Michigan. Just set up shop next to Lake Superior."
    ZZzzzzzzzz.. ZZzzZ....... zzz.. not for me. It feels like this storyline is there cuz its there and not a building of the story itself. Am I wrong in this?
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited October 2012
    Ugh.

I stuck through OMD and BND, not really liking the story but knowing it wasn't Clone Saga bad. I'll probably continue getting this because I love Spidey too much to quit. Slott's run has been so much fun, but I don't like the ominous trepidation I get from this news.

ugh..
  • Options
    Okay, let me get the snide comment out of the way, first:

Ooh, a grim and gritty Spider-Man! Just what... no one was looking for.

Now, a question - wasn't part of the point of OMD to turn away from a darker-in-tone Spider-Man? Or, at least, wasn't that part of the justification for it?

I seem to remember Joe Quesada specifically talking about how OMD was colored dark and murky to contrast with the last couple of pages from that event, to show a brighter future.

I really have no dog in this fight. I dropped Spidey a long time ago when the majority of my reading life with the character never happened. I'm just thrown.

And, "Superior" is stupid. Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational - All those titles had a feeling of independent observation. "Superior" is a comparison, and thus a weaker feel to it. I thought Avenging was the worst adjective they would attach to Spidey, because it just didn't fit with the character.

I was wrong.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    "I've always been the omniscient hand that's been protecting Peter Parker and Spider-Man, and not letting anything too bad happen to him," Slott told USA Today.

Soooooo..... I'm guessing Slott has never read a Spider-Man comic

I guess killing off your first love, having a clone take over your life, losing your uncle, being buried alive and growing four extra arms is a walk in the park according to Slott.
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    Mr_Cosmic said:

They won't kill MJ...according to Bleeding Cool(I think)....

SPOILERS!!!!!

MJ and the new SM are a thing, an item, a couple, together..etc etc etc

Hey, lookie there! Marvel is crapping on their fans again!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited October 2012
    While the look of the book, visually, seems darker, I don't feel that any of the quotes from Slott make it seem like this is something all that different or some violation of what the fans want. It sounds like Peter Parker is going to have a very hard time to face. Things are going to be hard. Well, okay. From the traumatic beginning and bad luck/can't catch a break of the earliest stories to The Death of Gwen Stacy, to Kraven's Last Hunt, some of the best and most popular Spider-Man stories have actually been quite dark times.

I'm not sure why so many people feel this 2013 story already sucks. I mean, sure, it might be terrible. Anything could be. But what Slott is teasing doesn't sound much different than usual. He could use most of the same things to describe something like "The Gauntlet" from a few years back, and that was pretty great.
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's going to suck, I'm just not interested enough at this point. It's also a $3.99 book, and I am done with that price tag when it comes to Marvel.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I'm not sure why so many people feel this 2013 story already sucks. I mean, sure, it might be terrible.

Because they're using the telltale buzzwords like "darker".

Thirty years of "darker" comics, and I've still never seen anything "darker" than Miracleman from, oh, thirty years ago.*

I'd like a lot more escapism and optimism in my comics, and less "darkness".

*Nor do I care to. That was plenty dark, thanks.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

I'm not sure why so many people feel this 2013 story already sucks. I mean, sure, it might be terrible.

Thirty years of "darker" comics, and I've still never seen anything "darker" than Miracleman from, oh, thirty years ago.*

Fair enough. I guess my general point is that, yes, there has been a lot of escapist, happy-go-lucky Spider-Man, and there is nothing wrong with prefering those. But there have also been plenty of darker stories. And some of them very good and memorable ones. I feel like some of this immediate, negative reaction to the idea of a darker Spider-Man story is surprsing to me, as there have been lots of those. And his very origin is nearly as dark as Batman's (in some ways, more so, as he is not only an orphan, but one that will carry a lifelong burden of guilt for his adoptive second father's murder).

• Options
    edited October 2012
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

Fair enough. I guess my general point is that, yes, there has been a lot of escapist, happy-go-lucky Spider-Man, and there is nothing wrong with prefering those. But there have also been plenty of darker stories. And some of them very good and memorable ones. I feel like some of this immediate, negative reaction to the idea of a darker Spider-Man story is surprsing to me, as there have been lots of those. And his very origin is nearly as dark as Batman's (in some ways, more so, as he is not only an orphan, but one that will carry a lifelong burden of guilt for his adoptive second father's murder).
    My immediate, negative reaction is to the term "new, darker direction" which I have heard too many times already. It's a marketing phrase targeted to a market that does not include me. It's a warning sign, saying, "Hey, Stewart, You Probably Won't Like This!"
  • Options
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

My immediate, negative reaction is to the term "new, darker direction" which I have heard too many times already. It's a marketing phrase targeted to a market that does not include me. It's a warning sign, saying, "Hey, Stewart, You Probably Won't Like This!"
    Well... good that they put on a disclaimer for you ;)
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

Well... good that they put on a disclaimer for you ;)
    Yes. I agree.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Continuing from my post above(worst logo ever, btw):

How about that dress? It's like the McFarlane/Larson days all over again.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Hmm. So I get MJ back but a dark Spidey!
  • Options
    Slott has been part of my favorite Spidey stories for the past few years, and I trust him. Besides, how many times has a hero been replaced for a storyline to shake things up before he comes back...and every time, fans get all pissy.

Cap died and was replaced and we all loved it. Green Lantern has been replaced more often than I've moved houses.

I'm gonna buckle up and enjoy the ride and if it sucks, I'll move on.
  • Options
    Well that cover blows my thought it might be Miles with a different powerset.