Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Superior Spider-Man w/ Slott & Stegman begins in Jan.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    They should go the David Cronenberg way on this and make Spidey slowly turn into a real spider - now that would be dark. Show some body horror.
  • Options

They should go the David Cronenberg way on this and make Spidey slowly turn into a real spider - now that would be dark. Show some body horror.

I say NO to turning into a real spider, you trying to scar my childhood, but if we want to get a darker tone on Marvel how about..

Captain America could become his true age, senile, PEG fed, bed ridden in an old folks home. They could have a whole issue devoted to his careerer changing his catheter and Cap calling him Bucky and repeatedly asking when Peggy is going to visit. The Senile Adventures of Captain America. Now that would be dark and depressing.

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030

Hmm. So I get MJ back but a dark Spidey!

Looking at that picture again I noticed her eyes were open like she didn't see it coming and was suprised.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Hmm. So I get MJ back but a dark Spidey!

Looking at that picture again I noticed her eyes were open like she didn't see it coming and was suprised.

Thst's what she said.
  • Options

Oh, they've done it before...all the way back in #100 by Gil Kane and Stan Lee! Stan gave him 6 arms, then took a vacation and left it to Roy Thomas to fix things.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @SolitaireRose : Sorry for not believing - did a googling

Photobucket

I didn't know ;))
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I will be picking up the book. I like the team. Does anyone know if it will keep the same twice month shipping?
  • Options
    Whoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That cover rocks. It's about time for some more Mary Jane.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Slott sent a tweet to Stegman in which he named the new Spider-Man. The tweet was deleted but people smarter than I have found it and posted it on the web.

Here is a link to the tweet:

(I can't stress MAJOR SPOILERS enough)

http://i.imgur.com/rNfgB.jpg

If this is real, and not a stunt by Slott, I think it could be pretty cool.
  • Options
    I can't imagine that he would be dumb enough to send something like that over Twitter, but you never know I guess.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    If it is true than Slott will have done that OMD/BND could not get me to do...stop reading Spider-Man
  • Options
    @Webhead oh wow! You really have a distaste for that character?
  • Options
    If it is true than Slott will have done that OMD/BND could not get me to do...stop reading Spider-Man
    Good thing I had quit after OMD then.
  • Options
    OK that spoiler fits with the images of the Superior Spiderman but I then have to ask where's the Amazing Spiderman?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Work filters!!! Tell me please.
  • Options
    The future is here?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Slott sent a tweet to Stegman in which he named the new Spider-Man. The tweet was deleted but people smarter than I have found it and posted it on the web.

Could be misdirection? I feel like there have been fake leaks before.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    David_D said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Could be misdirection? I feel like there have been fake leaks before.
    I concur. Firstly, the name that was used can be referenced elsewhere, which will further the misdirection. Secondly, the power mentioned can ALSO be referenced to another Spidey. And finally, why would the costume be Pete's AND kissing MJ?!

M
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Dan Slott's twitter feed spoiled the identity of the new Venom for me. Given, it wasn't months in advance, but on the morning of the day the book was released... but still, him blowing it over twitter would not surprise me.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

It is more that I do not care for a non-Peter Parker Spider-Man.
  • Options
    Webhead said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Fair enough! :)
  • Options
    Webhead said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

So a temporary change of character as part of the on-going soap opera will make you quit? I think Spider-Man is about the only character left who didn't have someone step into the shoes for a storyline. Hell, Steve Rodgers has been replaced as Cap 7 times that I can think of.

And for the folks who say they haven't read Spidey since BND...you've missed out on some REALLY great stories that have reminded me why JMS may be a talented writer, and he may have done good stories on the Spider-Man books, but whoever the hell he was writing during his run wasn't Spider-Man.

• Options

Webhead said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

So a temporary change of character as part of the on-going soap opera will make you quit? I think Spider-Man is about the only character left who didn't have someone step into the shoes for a storyline. Hell, Steve Rodgers has been replaced as Cap 7 times that I can think of.

And for the folks who say they haven't read Spidey since BND...you've missed out on some REALLY great stories that have reminded me why JMS may be a talented writer, and he may have done good stories on the Spider-Man books, but whoever the hell he was writing during his run wasn't Spider-Man.

Nah, I disagree with that. In fact, it was JMS' writing on the book that brought me back to Spider-Man for those few years. I thoroughly enjoyed his dialogue and his themes, and even when he was forced into specific storylines that he didn't agree with he still turned out good stories. And I thought his Spider-Man was on the money: older and wiser than his salad days, but still a conscientious smart-mouth.
  • Options
    JMS got me back into Spidey as well, but I really love this BND stuff. Even more than the JMS stuff.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I wish I knew if this spoiler was legit or not. I'd like to hunt down some back issues since I'm not well versed in this replacement Spidey's history. I've only read a few appearances here and there.
  • Options

Webhead said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

So a temporary change of character as part of the on-going soap opera will make you quit? I think Spider-Man is about the only character left who didn't have someone step into the shoes for a storyline.

This is one of many reasons why Spider-Man/Peter Parker has always been my favorites. That Spider-man has always been Peter Parker, even when the clone step into his shoes we were led to believe that Ben Riley was the real Peter Parker.

If this was 5 or 10 years ago I would not worry because the change might only last 3 or 4 issues. Today this change might last 2 or 3 years and 3 years of The Superior Substitute-Man is something I do not want to read.

I stayed with Spidey during and after OMD/BND because it was still Spider-Man even though I think BND was horrible but it was still the same character I've been reading since the 70's so I kept reading ASM.

I guess it all comes down to how they handle it, if Peter is no longer Spider-Man but is still one of the main focus of the book I probably will still keep reading it. If Slott writes him out of the book then that is it.
  • Options

I thoroughly enjoyed his dialogue and his themes, and even when he was forced into specific storylines that he didn't agree with he still turned out good stories. And I thought his Spider-Man was on the money: older and wiser than his salad days, but still a conscientious smart-mouth.

With one or two exceptions I could not agree more. I loved JMS' Spider-Man
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Webhead said:

I guess it all comes down to how they handle it, if Peter is no longer Spider-Man but is still one of the main focus of the book I probably will still keep reading it. If Slott writes him out of the book then that is it.

I would be seriously surprised if Slott put Parker on the bench. I feel like he has made a real effort to make Peter MORE of the focus in the book than Spidey since he took over as the main writer. The emphasis feels like showing how awesome Peter is and that "Spider-man" is just one element (although a big one) of Peter Parker. I'm sure it will be fun to see Peter either help this new Spidey or go crazy trying to figure out who he is.
  • Options
    Webhead said:

If this was 5 or 10 years ago I would not worry because the change might only last 3 or 4 issues. Today this change might last 2 or 3 years and 3 years of The Superior Substitute-Man is something I do not want to read.

2-3 years? No way.

It happened with Cap (I think), sure, but no way for Spider-Man.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Webhead said:

2-3 years? No way.

It happened with Cap (I think), sure, but no way for Spider-Man.
    Why not?

Cap was "dead" for over two years before he got better and in the mean time we got Bucky as Cap.

Thor was about three years and his book was cancelled until they brought him back.

The Human Torch was dead for almost a year and they replaced him with Spider-Man.

In the case of the Human Torch and Cap remember how much free publicity they got out of it when they "killed" them and the amount they got when they brought them back. Imagine the amount of press they will get if they say "Peter Parker is no longer Spider-Man" Marvel will want to ride that for al that it is worth and then after a good long time they will bring him back and start the whole media circus all over again.