Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Scott Snyder and Jim Lee to produce a third Superman title

DC announces a new Superman title in 2013, to be produced by Scott Snyder and Jim Lee.

dccomics.com/blog/2012/10/11/jim-lee-and-scott-snyder-team-up-for-2013-superman-project

Frankly, all I see is just another Superman title to not add to my list. This is just about the last writer-artist team I wanted to see on a Superman book.

On the other hand, the main title, which I'd already given up on after hearing that Lobdell and Rocafort were taking over... after reading the 0 issue, I might just have to reconsider. It was actually better -- a lot better -- than I'd been expecting. Especially Rocafort's art, of which I'd been unfavorably impressed with before. I'll have to give it some serious reconsideration now.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The triangle numbering can't be far behind.
  • Options
    I can't believe it's been 25 years since Byrnes revamp!
    Dam I'm old! :(
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Hmm.

Take this with the caveat that I am not a Superman fan. So I always come to a Superman book with one foot already out the door. But... I am game. I am not a huge Lee fan, I don't dislike him, but I don't get that excited about his art. But I have been impressed by Snyder, and I am intrigued to see what he brings to this. I think they would have been better off taking on Superman, as I feel that book had a weak launch, and I hear it has been a mess since. But even if it ends up being a third book (and I am also intrigued by Diggle on Action following Morrison) I will give this a try.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Ungh. Too much of a GOOD thing is a concept I understand, but this?
  • Options
    David_D said:

Hmm.

Take this with the caveat that I am not a Superman fan. So I always come to a Superman book with one foot already out the door. But... I am game. I am not a huge Lee fan, I don't dislike him, but I don't get that excited about his art. But I have been impressed by Snyder, and I am intrigued to see what he brings to this. I think they would have been better off taking on Superman, as I feel that book had a weak launch, and I hear it has been a mess since. But even if it ends up being a third book (and I am also intrigued by Diggle on Action following Morrison) I will give this a try.

I understand what you're saying. My case is similar, but with the reasons reversed: with Snyder and Lee, I've pretty much got both feet out the door. I'm not a fan of Lee's work (his art, in my opinion, is over-detailed, stiff, and somehow cold and detached), and I have not been impressed with Snyder's stories over the past year. I realize I'm in the minority here, but that's how I feel.

I don't think that Action Comics has been a mess at all; in fact, I love Morrison's run on the title. Superman has been more of a mess -- I enjoyed the art, but the stories were lacking, and, given George Perez's complaints, obviously the result of a lot of heavy-handed editorial micro-managing. Can we really expect any less of the new title, or even Action once Morrison leaves?

And why a new title, when they really need to do something with the prime book? (Although, as I noted earlier, the Lobdell/Rocafort effort in #0 was actually far better than I feared, so maybe, maybe that's finally under control...)

• Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    David_D said:

Hmm.

I agree with all of this. Well said.
  • Options
    It will end up being yet another divergent vision of superman in the DCU. They need to have a cohesive take on the character before they spread it out. Superman was mostly cohesive pre new 52.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Superman was a lot of things pre new 52. Now... well he is still called "superman" so theres that.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited October 2012
    This is a complete money grab by DC. The powers that be think their second biggest family of titles needs a boost to generate some buzz before a new movie comes out. Make a new title and put your current hotshot writer and a name artist on it, and at least the first story arc sells huge. Lee then of course disappears from the book. I wonder if or when the DC big shots will change from the New 52 moniker to the Superman/Batman New 52 as the balance of titles that do not involve either one of them or their families becomes smaller and smaller.
  • Options
    Hell yeah! when I heard this news at NYCC, I was amped. I don't understand the negativity. between this, Rocafort/Lobdell on superman and Daniel/Diggle on action, I feel that superman is being shown much love by DC and the franchise has top industry talents working on it.
  • Options
    VKMarion said:

Hell yeah! when I heard this news at NYCC, I was amped. I don't understand the negativity. between this, Rocafort/Lobdell on superman and Daniel/Diggle on action, I feel that superman is being shown much love by DC and the franchise has top industry talents working on it.

Lobdell and Rocafort may yet win me over in spite of my original concerns, and, so far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on Diggle and Daniels. Especially coming in after Morrison. But I've already given my reasons why I won't even bother with Snyder and Lee's book.
  • Options

I wonder if or when the DC big shots will change from the New 52 moniker to the Superman/Batman New 52 as the balance of titles that do not involve either one of them or their families becomes smaller and smaller.

I hear you that there are a lot of Bat and Super titles, especially when you expand out to the families of Bat and Super characters. And I think it is a fair question whether a third one is needed. But I don't agree that they have been proliferating all that much since the launch of the New 52.

Unless I am missing some, I have counted all of a 2 book increase in Bat and Super books since the New 52 launched- this new Superman book, and Batman Inc. (which really was just an old book returning). Which surprised me, actually. Cynically, I thought when esoteric or slightly less superhero books failed, they would immediately be replaced with more Bat, Super, and Green Lantern family things. And for the most part that has not been the case. In fact, I would argue with books like Dial H, they have actually gotten even more esoteric and risky as the waves have gone on.

Even if you count Talon as a Bat Family book, as it spun off from Batman (though the creative team insists he is heading off on his own direction and won't be a Batman ally. Rather he is a character that started as a Batman villain, and later became his own thing. Which only makes Talon a Bat book if you consider Punisher a Spider-Man book.

But even if we count Talon and call it an expansion of 3 Bat and Super titles since the launch of the New 52, that is still not that many. Even with the addition of this Superman title, they are still not even close to half the line. Probably all told the are 16 or 17 titles out of 52. Is that a lot? Absolutely. But there is also still a lot of room left in that more than 50% of the DCU that gets to be something else.
  • Options
    And when the next reboot happens, one of the reasons given will be too much continuity to deal with. Superman will have three titles and the Justice League. Batman will have five (I think) plus JL. Both characters (especially Batman) could easily show up in multiple other titles. DC is digging their own reboot grave. I am going to go all Deemer and say I want one Superman and one Batman book with one team book thrown in.
  • Options
    It's also not the first time either the Bat-family or the Super-family lines have had several books each. During the 90's, there were four Superman monthlies plus one quarterly, giving us a Superman book each week of the year (boy, I really miss that weekly continuity); plus the ancillaries: Superboy, Supergirl and Steel. There were three Batman monthlies (four if you counted Legends Of The Dark Knight, which was usually out of the current continuity) and a quarterly, plus four ancillaries: Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman and Azrael.
  • Options
    @VKMarion, I hear ya. I don't get the negativity on this. I feel like Snyder could do a lot with the psychological element of Superman, the whole isolation, weight of the world element. It could be a really great take on the character. I could take or leave Jim Lee, but the stories Snyder has been telling lately are just so good, I can't imagine how you could NOT be stoked for this book. I also have to disagree with people who complain about too many supes/bats books. Yes, they have a lot of titles, but DC is also publishing western, horror, war, fantasy, all kinds of genres that you don't see at marvel or much at all. They're publishing monthly Beowulf stories. You can't say they're not trying to give us variety.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I'm excited for it. A 3rd Superman title is what I have been wanting for a while. Superman/Batman went south after Loeb went to Marvel minus one arc w/ Lana Lang working as CEO of LuthorCorp I thought was a high point in a forgotten series. I liked Jim Lee on JL & Synder on American Vampire & Batman are bought great reads. So bring on more adventures of Superman.

Matthew

PS
    I remember the Byrne revamp the good ol' days of comics when they were 75 cents & the story & art delivered every issue.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I've said this a zillion times, but I would rather see one great Supes/Bats/Spidey book than a handful of mediocre ones.
  • Options

And when the next reboot happens, one of the reasons given will be too much continuity to deal with. Superman will have three titles and the Justice League. Batman will have five (I think) plus JL. Both characters (especially Batman) could easily show up in multiple other titles. DC is digging their own reboot grave. I am going to go all Deemer and say I want one Superman and one Batman book with one team book thrown in.

I wonder if readers had these complaints when Superman and Batman were added on top of Action and Detective back in the 1939 and 1940?

Put another way, they found out back then there was enough demand for more than one title. I don't think that will change.

• Options
    David_D said:

I wonder if readers had these complaints when Superman and Batman were added on top of Action and Detective back in the 1939 and 1940?

Put another way, they found out back then there was enough demand for more than one title. I don't think that will change.

It was a different world back then. Action and Detective were monthlies, but Superman and Batman, when they started, were quarterlies at first, and then bi-monthlies for the next year or so. They gradually stepped up in publication frequency in order to, first, establish a demand and, then, adjust to it.

There were also no concerns about continuity. They just wrote stand-alone stories by the dozen which could have appeared in any order whatsoever, and quite often did. Completed artwork was just stored in files and pulled for publication whenever there was an open slot. Just try and get away with that today!

Plus, they were only a dime.
  • Options

David_D said:

It was a different world back then. Action and Detective were monthlies, but Superman and Batman, when they started, were quarterlies at first, and then bi-monthlies for the next year or so. They gradually stepped up in publication frequency in order to, first, establish a demand and, then, adjust to it.

There were also no concerns about continuity. They just wrote stand-alone stories by the dozen which could have appeared in any order whatsoever, and quite often did. Completed artwork was just stored in files and pulled for publication whenever there was an open slot. Just try and get away with that today!

Of course it was a different time, and all those are good points for context. But my main point is that, once a demand is found, you can expect that supply will never be lowered past the demand. And demand has shown for a long, long time now that the market wants more than 1 book. We as individual readers may want something different, of course, like one great, single title and no other choices. But as a readership, we have long told the publishers something different than that.

• Options
    I think that when it comes to demand the publishers have very selective hearing.

Fans: "We want more of the really, really good stuff -- with the very best artists and writers, doing stories that are real stories! And none of that seventeen-hundred chapter junk that bleeds into multi-reality crossovers for eighteen months every year!"

Publishers: "You want more stuff? No problem!"
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Well, to be fair, buying sounds like buying. So hearing can be selective, but whatever fans may express to publishers about what they say they want to buy, the rubber-meeting-the-road speech of what they actually buy tends to be what they listen to. And I don't know that's blame them for that.

Put another way- to listen to us on the Internet, you'd think a James Robinson return to Starman would be a huge deal. And that maxi-series sold so poorly they almost didn't complete it. You know what I mean? Whatever we as individuals may want, sometimes when what we say we want gets made, we turn out to be a vocal minority. And the same is shown when what we say we don't want is successful.
  • Options
    David_D said:

David_D said:

Of course it was a different time, and all those are good points for context. But my main point is that, once a demand is found, you can expect that supply will never be lowered past the demand. And demand has shown for a long, long time now that the market wants more than 1 book. We as individual readers may want something different, of course, like one great, single title and no other choices. But as a readership, we have long told the publishers something different than that.

With the exceptions of reboots, relaunches, and gimmick numbering, demand has done nothing but go down for decades. While there are multiple reasons for this, publishers flooding the market with multiple stories of characters is one of the major causes of low sales. Demand is not made by giving people more but by giving people less.

I do understand why the companies do what they do though. If there was only one batman title and it stunk, the company is in trouble. Having batman in 5 or more titles even if some are just average reduces risk to the company in the short term although long term you might be digging yourself a hole with continuity and attracting the ever elusive new reader.

• Options
    @CaptShazam I think there are some unproven correlations in that argument, not to mention that comics are actually doing better now than at several times in the past, so the trend has not only been heading down. I am not saying they couldn't do better, but I think you are presenting some things as fact that have not been proven.
  • Options
    I agree my hypothesis that multiple titles in the market is a detriment is unproven at best. The demand shrinking is a matter of historical fact although it has a LOT more causes than I alluded to and It does ebb and flow more than just a gradual decline. Batman is the mid 80s sold a lot worse than Batman today.

I think I would be fine with multiple character titles if there was no crossovers. If Snyder wrote a great superman that existed within its own world without touching the other books, great. Once the crossover starts, I would drop the title and wait for the trade to have a complete story like I have just done with Green Lantern.
  • Options
    If it helps, I found that Snyders goal of writing The C of Owls issues in Batman to be self contained proved true- I only read those Batman issues and nothing else and I don't feel like I missed anything I needed. Other titles simply shared a villain group, but did their own thing with it.

Hopefully the same will be true with his super book.
  • Options
    I have to catch up on night of owls. The only other bat title I will get along with it is Batgirl. I hope this new joker crossover has similar focused story telling.
  • Options
    I'm down to just Batman, Inc and Batwing at this point. And Batman Beyond Unlimited.
  • Options
    elkinscselkinscs Posts: 40
    edited October 2012
    @David_D agreed on Snyder keeping his stuff fairly self contained. He was really successful on that point. I don't see a huge issue with continuity in the titles like a lot of people on here. As long as the big things stay consistent, I can wrap my mind around all of these things going on at roughly the same time. Though I wish one of these books could be stand-alone retrospective stories. Fill in the 5 year gap and publish a bat-book that doesn't have to worry about keeping in line with the others.
  • Options
    elkinscs said:

@David_D agreed on Snyder keeping his stuff fairly self contained. He was really successful on that point. I don't see a huge issue with continuity in the titles like a lot of people on here. As long as the big things stay consistent, I can wrap my mind around all of these things going on at roughly the same time. Though I wish one of these books could be stand-alone retrospective stories. Fill in the 5 year gap and publish a bat-book that doesn't have to worry about keeping in line with the others.

I agree. In a way, the digital first Legends of the Dark Knight is doing something like that, insofar as it is doing standalone stories, mostly one-shots, and the occasional two or three parter. It is not filling in the gaps of the New 52 Batman. Rather it is just doing Batman stories, and it doesn't seem bound to any particular era or continuity. It feels like the creators of each story just get to do a Batman story. In that way, it reminds me of the original Legends of the Dark Knight, and has become my favorite regular Batman title.