Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mike Gallagher kicked off the show

Comments

• Options

I am Joe's heart.

I didn't know anyone knew about that but me and the poor saps I went to college with. That film was required viewing for all health/PE class participants. I think of it EVERY time I am in the shower and the water goes cold.

Unless, of course, you are quoting a DIFFERENT "Joe's heart".
  • Options
    WoodWood Posts: 19
    CGS has (IMHO) always been at its best when its a group of buddies conversing. For awhile that fell off because not enough guys could be there consistently and/or were reading the same stuff. But it seems it's cycling back the other way. I, for one, am excited at that prospect.
  • Options
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I Am Curious (Yellow)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Am I the only one who has never noticed a difference in the podcast, no matter who has joined or left?

Maybe it has to do with me always being behind on the podcast, and ignoring most news that happens regarding it. (Unless announced on the podcast)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I am waiting for my case to come up
    and I am waiting
    for a rebirth of wonder
    and I am waiting for someone
    to really discover America
    and wail
    and I am waiting
    for the discovery
    of a new symbolic western frontier
    and I am waiting
    for the American Eagle
    to really spread its wings
    and straighten up and fly right
    and I am waiting
    for the Age of Anxiety
    to drop dead
    and I am waiting
    for the war to be fought
    which will make the world safe
    for anarchy
    and I am waiting
    for the final withering away
    of all governments
    and I am perpetually awaiting
    a rebirth of wonder

I am waiting for the Second Coming
    and I am waiting
    for a religious revival
    to sweep thru the state of Arizona
    and I am waiting
    for the Grapes of Wrath to be stored
    and I am waiting
    for them to prove
    that God is really American
    and I am waiting
    to see God on television
    piped onto church altars
    if only they can find
    the right channel
    to tune in on
    and I am waiting
    for the Last Supper to be served again
    with a strange new appetizer
    and I am perpetually awaiting
    a rebirth of wonder

I am waiting for my number to be called
    and I am waiting
    for the Salvation Army to take over
    and I am waiting
    for the meek to be blessed
    and inherit the earth
    without taxes
    and I am waiting
    for forests and animals
    to reclaim the earth as theirs
    and I am waiting
    for a way to be devised
    to destroy all nationalisms
    without killing anybody
    and I am waiting
    for linnets and planets to fall like rain
    and I am waiting for lovers and weepers
    to lie down together again
    in a new rebirth of wonder

I am waiting for the Great Divide to be crossed
    and I am anxiously waiting
    for the secret of eternal life to be discovered
    by an obscure general practitioner
    and I am waiting
    for the storms of life
    to be over
    and I am waiting
    to set sail for happiness
    and I am waiting
    for a reconstructed Mayflower
    to reach America
    with its picture story and tv rights
    sold in advance to the natives
    and I am waiting
    for the lost music to sound again
    in the Lost Continent

I am waiting for the day
    that maketh all things clear
    and I am awaiting retribution
    for what America did
    to Tom Sawyer
    and I am waiting
    for Alice in Wonderland
    to retransmit to me
    her total dream of innocence
    and I am waiting
    for Childe Roland to come
    to the final darkest tower
    and I am waiting
    for Aphrodite
    to grow live arms
    at a final disarmament conference

I am waiting
    to get some intimations
    of immortality
    by recollecting my early childhood
    and I am waiting
    for the green mornings to come again
    youth’s dumb green fields come back again
    and I am waiting
    for some strains of unpremeditated art
    to shake my typewriter
    and I am waiting to write
    the great indelible poem
    and I am waiting
    for the last long careless rapture
    and I am perpetually waiting
    for the fleeing lovers on the Grecian Urn
    to catch each other up at last
    and embrace
    and I am awaiting
    perpetually and forever
    a renaissance of wonder

Thank you, Mr. Ferlinghetti
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    After going through this thread, I've come to a conclusion.

We've been spending most out lives living in a gangster's paradise.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

Amish paradise for his group

• Options
    JamieD said:

You churn butter once or twice?

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    There is no "I" in CGS.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186

JamieD said:

Once you churn butter, you'll never want another.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

JamieD said:

Depends if I'm single or married!!

M
  • Options

JamieD said:

Weird Al..... its good for what ails ya

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Mr_Cosmic said:

There is no "I" in CGS.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

There is no "I" in CGS.

there is an I in Comic though
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

JamieD said:

Is that code?
  • Options
    Matt said:

JamieD said:

Depends if I'm single or married!!

M
    I guess it was.
  • Options
    Wood said:

I was in transit this morning when I posted that one-liner. But, I really can't believe this thread is as long as it is. On the other hand, it would be ridiculous of me not to acknowledge the voyeuristic nature of our own minds considering how many of us long-time lapsed forum members found our way back to comment. :)

So what do I think of this situation?

A) It's absolutely none of our business. I think one of the things that differentiated CGS from other podcast communities early on was that they went out of their way to make us feel like friends. The show was as much about the community as anything. But I think somewhere along the way listeners began to forget that it was THEIR CHOICE to do that. Their willingness to open up MUCH of their lives to us became taken by some as an OBLIGATION to do so. I never was, and it still isn't.

B) I realize people WANT to know nonetheless, or at least they think they do. When Peter left the show, I HAD TO KNOW. It seemed so massive at the time, and just so hard to contemplate, that I felt there was more to the story. You know what? There wasn't. These things just happen. I learned my lesson. When Bryan left (or at least took a big chunk of time off), I found myself in a much different place. I reached out to Bryan as friend, to say I wished him well and hoped he was OK personally. But I never wanted/needed to know the backstory re: the show, whether or not there was any.

C) I don't know Mike very well. Never met him in person. On the show he seemed reasonable enough. And as others have said, he absolutely has a far broader knowledge and appreciation of comics than the other guys (current crew) do. But, I also can't ignore the fact that his arrival as a regular coincided with my leaving this forum community as a regular and also ceasing to listen on an every episode basis. I can't say it was anything Mike did that had that impact. It was more of what Mike represented. He felt like the Ted McGinley of CGS. He was the guy they had to add because the old school group wasn't able to do the show consistently anymore. So, symbolically, I associated Mike with CGS' decline. I 100% realize that's a very unfair thing to say, but I'm being honest. Again, I don't know Mike personally so this is in no way a personal affront. If Mike had jumped into the mix and Peter and Bryan were still on the show regularly, it might have felt VERY different. But that's not how it happened.

D) This whole "secret sponsor" thing cracks me up. There really are as many conspiracies as there are people on the Earth. Folks, I know about their silent partner, so I can certainly say it's not a secret. While I'm a long-time listener (Episode 6 baby!) and have gotten to know the guys well over the years, I damn sure am not one of their closest friends or confidantes. So if I knew they had a backer, it was out there to be known.

E) As others have said, if there was some grand design here, why on Earth would Bryan and the crew keep a thread like this alive? I moderate two other forums and can say, without hesitation, that I wouldn't have allowed a thread like this to survive for long. I would've put out a statement, and asked anyone that had something to say to direct it to me personally offline or via a direct message. So hats off to CGS for tolerating the histrionics, insults and blind suppositions that were layered into the early parts of this discussion.

F) Things change. Seeing all the "old timers" back this week reminds us of that. I'm sure many of the current posters on this forum are wondering, "who the hell are THESE guys and what are they doing in this thread?" Meanwhile a lot of us old-timers are smiling and saying, "Boy we really had a lot of fun around here when we all were regulars."

G) One of my co-hosts, David, is fond of saying that you are free to ask for a full refund if you don't enjoy our show. There's a TON of truth to that statement. Podcasts are, save for very few, labors of love. We don't make money. Even if you're fortunate enough to have reasonably large audiences, and sponsors, you're basically recouping the monies you are putting out. So if you're upset with a host, or don't like the show, nothing is keeping you around. CGS doesn't owe you any particular style, length, frequency, or content. They owe THEMSELVES a show THEY are proud of, and entertained by. Nothing more. And let's be honest, more times than not what they have put out there has been terrific. That's what keeps us coming back.

H) Since I haven't been around for awhile, I wanted to say that Pants deserves an IMMENSE pat on the back. When Bryan left to handle some personal matters, I'm sure I wasn't alone in thinking that would effectively end CGS. But it didn't. And it seems to me that a huge reason for its continued existence was Pants taking on the role of producer. If you've known Pants from the beginning of his time with CGS, it would've been hard to believe he would be willing (and able :) ) to produce a show like this with regularity and breadth of content. But he's done so with a smile on his face. GREAT JOB BRIAN.

Mucho Alphabetical, Cisco....:)
  • Options

brydeemer said:

I've been loving the resurgence of old timers this week. I would love to see that continue. Stick around for a while guys, you've been missed.

Bry

And some of us never left...it's like the frecking Hotel California.
    Is it true that colitas has a warm smell? I mean, an actual temperature that goes with an odor....
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited October 2012

brydeemer said:

I've been loving the resurgence of old timers this week. I would love to see that continue. Stick around for a while guys, you've been missed.

Bry

Is it true that colitas has a warm smell? I mean, an actual temperature that goes with an odor....
    Colitas are "Baby Lobster Tails simmered in hot sauce with Spanish rice". The full name is "Colitas de langosta enchiladas".

So, yes, they do have a warm smell. And I love the fact that I'm not even an Eagles fan, but I remember this from some old interview with Glenn Frey on MTV at some point in the 80.

There is also the information from their manager that: in 1976, during the writing of the song 'Hotel California' by Messrs. Henley and Frey, the word `colitas' was translated for them by their Mexican-American road manager as 'little buds.' (I found this floating about on the interwebz when I did some fact checking to refresh my memory). And yes, one could say that a joint has a hot smell as well.

• Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169

brydeemer said:

Bry

Colitas are "Baby Lobster Tails simmered in hot sauce with Spanish rice". The full name is "Colitas de langosta enchiladas".

So, yes, they do have a warm smell. And I love the fact that I'm not even an Eagles fan, but I remember this from some old interview with Glenn Frey on MTV at some point in the 80.

There is also the information from their manager that: in 1976, during the writing of the song 'Hotel California' by Messrs. Henley and Frey, the word `colitas' was translated for them by their Mexican-American road manager as 'little buds.' (I found this floating about on the interwebz when I did some fact checking to refresh my memory). And yes, one could say that a joint has a hot smell as well.

I didn't know that about the colitas. That's a cool bit of trivia.

It's interesting, and perhaps a bit ironic, considering the thread, that Felder's name is so often left out of the discussion of Hotel California.
  • Options
    This thread should be amalgamated with the one from when Peter left and Mike came on board. It is almost like Bizarro world. Back then, people rushed to Peter's side and blamed all that happened on Mike, and torched him. NOW, I see people rushing to Mike's side and torching Peter and Bryan. It is all so very odd.

Then there is the past two pages of all sorts of "wtf" stuff. You kids are all wacky.

Oh, and I agree with everything said about Pants. I am glad I got to thank him and praise him face to face at the last C2E2. The show has only lost momentum for me due to my not buying comics anymore due to finances. But in some ways, that speaks volumes about the show, and the job he has done. I no longer buy, but now I rely on this show to stay current with what is going on. But I also only listen due to loving how well everything does work.
  • Options

Then there is the past two pages of all sorts of "wtf" stuff. You kids are all wacky.

That's because we old-timers would rather entertain each other with silly-ass whacky antics than spin silly-ass conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    I am...premiering my new horror host program tonight at 11:59PM EST on this YouTube Link...

Yep. I am whore. But, I never wear spandex....:)
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Let me say, the last several pages have gotten be re-energized for the show. It's great to see some old faces return to the fold.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

That's because we old-timers would rather entertain each other with silly-ass whacky antics than spin silly-ass conspiracy theories.
    FTW!!!!!!
  • Options

I am...premiering my new horror host program tonight at 11:59PM EST on this YouTube Link...

NOOOOoooooooooo! The video was removed because it was to long.
  • Options
    SteveAtkinsStudiosSteveAtkinsStudios Posts: 70
    edited October 2012
    rebis said:

NOOOOoooooooooo! The video was removed because it was to long.
    That's what it says. The film is also not as public domain as I understand the term.

I will be uploading a compilation video of the segments that were planned to be in the episode. Check it out in a couple of hours...or whenever...it'll be there.