Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mike Gallagher kicked off the show

Comments

• Options
    I understand we all feel like we have a stake in CGS. That is part of the lure and charm of the show. These are the comic buddies that have replaced our old friends who have moved on, moved away, or we have moved away from. It was a good show before and will remain so. I miss Pete and I'm sure I'll miss Mike but the show will go on. No need to air laundry, clean or dirty here.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I wish you nothing but good things Mike. As someone also looking for a job at the moment, I know what you're going through. I think it's an unfortunate situation all around but I agree that Bryan doesn't owe anyone but Mike an explanation. I'll still be listening but I'll miss Mike's voice on the show. Be well and I wanted to say that it was great meeting you at the Super Wild Pig show and my daughter really loved her commission of Supergirl, Batgirl and Wonder Woman playing with the kittens. It's amazing. You're good peeps Mike and you'll bounce back better than ever. As Saint Walker says, "All Will Be Well."

Thanks man.
    And yeah, I would love a full explanation from Deemer.
  • Options

Damn. This is bad. It didn't even occur to me that these kinda things happen on things like podcasts :(
    All the best Mike, seriously! I really liked you and I was really excited about the prospect of possibly meeting you at London, but alas, the gods of Podcastia (the land of podcasts) decided it was not to be :(
    At least now you ain't gettin' on no plane!

As the owner of the London con is the one who wanted me sacked, that won't be happening.
    I will make it abroad someday.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    random73 said:

I think I'm just naive. I still felt like CGS was a bunch of friends hanging out talking geek shit more than a business venture. I didn't think you could fire your friends. So, the curtain has been pulled back on the business end of it and and don't like what I'm seeing.

It still is a show about friends talking about geeky things but in a sense it's also become a business. When you have sponsors like DCBS and whoever else sponsors the show not to mention when you have your own convention of sorts, (Super-Show) you do have to treat it a bit like a business. Obviously it's not a business that allows the geeks to quit their day jobs and I guess there is behind-the-curtain stuff that we don't know about but does that change your perception of the show? If I knew none of this, my opinion of the show wouldn't change. Even now it doesn't change. I'll still listen and enjoy the geeks takes on a variety of stuff. I was a bit sad when Peter left because I liked his voice on the show. I liked what he brought to the table. It will be the same with Mike. He brought something to the table that was unique and interesting and I'll miss that as well but it happens and overall while I'm sad about the change, life is all about change.

• Options

As the owner of the London con is the one who wanted me sacked, that won't be happening.
    I will make it abroad someday.

OK, so now we know a little more behind the scenes of what happened.

jaydee74 said:

When you have sponsors like DCBS and whoever else sponsors the show not to mention when you have your own convention of sorts, (Super-Show) you do have to treat it a bit like a business.

The most recent episode, where Deemer mentions that Mike won't be on the show anymore, he also does an ad for a new sponsor, Audible. Coincidence? Is this another clue to the puzzle?
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216

The most recent episode, where Deemer mentions that Mike won't be on the show anymore, he also does an ad for a new sponsor, Audible. Coincidence? Is this another clue to the puzzle?

Coincidence.

There's no conspiracy here.

Everyone should just go read some more comics.

B
  • Options
    Audible.com sponsors a lot of podcasts. I listen to The Force-Cast, and a bunch of Doctor Who podcast all of whom have Audible.com as a sponsor. They probably gave some promotion where you can try out Audible for a free month plus one free audio book if you go to some sight that has to do with CGS. I doubt it's a clue to any puzzle. Just another company that sponsors these type of shows that is not sponsoring this show. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    As someone who's been laid off more than once due to forces beyond my control, Mike's got my sympathies. Business is business, as cliched as that statement is, and if some asshole with money can keep the show going, they're going to feel entitled to throw their weight around. This is as true of the Fortune 500 companies I've worked for as much as the mom-and-pop enterprises.

End of the day - it's Bryan's show to do with as he sees fit to do. He started this beast, and it's his ship to steer. Along that course, he's bound to do and say things we won't all agree with. Your commitment is to either listen, or don't. He's not asking for more or less from any of us.

Also, Mike and I were(are) planning on doing a one-shot book together, until I hit a slight snafu (death in the family) that sidetracked the progress. Might be time to get back on that horse and get that train a'rollin' again. Is that enough cliches?

So you've not heard the last of Mr. Gallagher, I'm willing to bet.

• Options
    @Torchsong, very well said and I couldn't agree with you more.
  • Options

Now let the Mike bashing begin old timers! It's what you asked for I'm told!

As an old timer I would like everyone to know I had absolutely nothing to do with this situation. I am not even sure which one is the Mike Gallagher.

I am so glad to hear from you! It's been ages, and I was worried that, well...I've heard of blackouts over the summer and, I hate to assume the worst, but I usually do.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    brydeemer said:

Like any conspiracy theorist is ever gonna accept that as an answer. :)
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    WetRats said:

Too true. But I have to put it out there just in case.

Bry
  • Options
    Look at the monkey! Look at the shiny monkey! Lol
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    brydeemer said:

Everyone should just go read some more comics.

B

Don't like your condescending tone youngling! You don't tell me what to do!

btw: anybody else enjoying Building Stories by Chris Ware?

<:-P
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    brydeemer said:

WetRats said:

Too true. But I have to put it out there just in case.

Bry
    Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/97r8P-Fms24

Too bad none of us are smokers, and Peter was the closest to a "well-manicured man" we had.

M
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    edited October 2012
    Obviously it's not a business that allows the geeks to quit their day jobs and I guess there is behind-the-curtain stuff that we don't know about but does that change your perception of the show?
    Depending on what those behind the curtain things are then yes, it sometimes does.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    WetRats said:

brydeemer said:

lol.... I think you'd have to really stretch things to think that audible had anything to do with it. They're a pretty decent sized company and they probably don't even know who Mike is.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Mike, Matt, Shane... they sound so similar I don't even know which one is which...

All I know is that Shane is afraid to fly.

All I care about is for the swift return of Mr. Deemer!!!! and maybe a Peter Rios appearance down the road...
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    will audible carry the audio book of "what really happened?"

can murd read it?

best of luck mike, i hope you stick around the forums to compliment my crappy drawings
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Wait. Peter Rios isn't on the podcast anymore!?!

What's a podcast?

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited October 2012
    Torchsong said:

End of the day - it's Bryan's show to do with as he sees fit to do. He started this beast, and it's his ship to steer. Along that course, he's bound to do and say things we won't all agree with. Your commitment is to either listen, or don't. He's not asking for more or less from any of us.

Yup. The forum community is exactly that, a forum community. It does not imply or in any way grant participation in the show. I think people lose sight of that sometimes.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Man, this is a genuinely sad day in CGS history. I really liked what Mile brought to the show. Like a few of you said, I mistook the thread name and assumed he just kicked off a show. Not actually been axed!

I'm sure the reason Mike was kicked off will come out sooner or later. I would be interested to hear why. But in the mean time I'll miss you Mike. All the best for the future.