Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mike Gallagher kicked off the show

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

"Life Is Like High School, With Ashtrays", and it sounds like this is a classic example. Mike is a smart funny guy. Too bad whomever is pulling the strings here doesn't see that.

Oh well. I'm sure he and the CGS "survivors" will all walk away from this with full rich lives.

Still sounds and smells stupid to me...but what else is new?

That's from Pants eating a couple cans of Uncle Johns' Baked Beans with his slab of bacon. There's a reason I carry a clothes pin!

M

• Options

Matt said:

Sponsors keep the lights on & studio rented. No paychecks. There's no HR, Accounting, Loss Prevention, Janitorial, etc departments. There's no applications, handbooks, or contracts, so no need for HR files.

M

but you get all the chicks ~:>
    Just don't tell my wife! ;)

M

• Options
    Is everyone enjoying Matt not commenting on the subject here? I am!
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I'm not sure what you want him to say.
  • Options
    Something relevant. Like if he will miss me. Or if he is glad I'm gone. Or if the show will be weaker or stronger without me. You know, his opinion.
  • Options

Okay, this is getting awkward now. @wordballoon, you know I love ya, but you know just as well as I do that sometimes shit happens. You deal with it, you move on, you start something new when you have to.

As for the rest of this back and forth, I don't think it benefits anybody to keep waiting for the second or third shoe to drop. CGS has said what they want to say on the matter, and I'm happy with that. Mike is understandably perturbed, but also has plenty of other things going for him and is already moving forward.

So how about we take the rest of this to PM's or DM's or DMV's or what have you and stop trying to create a public pissing contest when all the pee has already been flushed?

You are completely right. I'm done. I didn't mean to agitate anyone.
    I need to go back to being in listener mode.
    Cheers to Pants and Adam for the hard work you do! Love you guys!

Maybe I should pimp my books here now?
    Is it too soon?
  • Options

Lighten up Ian . I'm just saying Mike's a good guy, and this is too bad. This is also why I'm glad I do a solo show, cause given my temperament I'm sure I'd rub a partner the wrong way too. Just like I do other Podcasters ;)

Oh, I'm supposed to be upset with you for some reason?

WHY DO I NEVER GET THESE MEMOS??!!??

Now what am I mad at you for, except for the fact you keep refusing to travel to time to interview Jack Kirby?
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

Lighten up Ian . I'm just saying Mike's a good guy, and this is too bad. This is also why I'm glad I do a solo show, cause given my temperament I'm sure I'd rub a partner the wrong way too. Just like I do other Podcasters ;)

Oh, I'm supposed to be upset with you for some reason?

WHY DO I NEVER GET THESE MEMOS??!!??

Now what am I mad at you for, except for the fact you keep refusing to travel to time to interview Jack Kirby?
    Correction.

He refuses to publish and/or post said interview.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    So I assume.

Okay, this is getting awkward now. @wordballoon, you know I love ya, but you know just as well as I do that sometimes shit happens. You deal with it, you move on, you start something new when you have to.

As for the rest of this back and forth, I don't think it benefits anybody to keep waiting for the second or third shoe to drop. CGS has said what they want to say on the matter, and I'm happy with that. Mike is understandably perturbed, but also has plenty of other things going for him and is already moving forward.

So how about we take the rest of this to PM's or DM's or DMV's or what have you and stop trying to create a public pissing contest when all the pee has already been flushed?

You are completely right. I'm done. I didn't mean to agitate anyone.
    I need to go back to being in listener mode.
    Cheers to Pants and Adam for the hard work you do! Love you guys!

Maybe I should pimp my books here now?
    Is it too soon?
    Do it! Pimp your books!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited October 2012

"Life Is Like High School, With Ashtrays"

When I was in high school, there were ashtrays!

• Options
    NKQNKQ Posts: 24
    edited October 2012
    I was so sad to hear this announcement today.

When Mike joined the crew, I hated his comments and even his voice! He was a "know-it-all" with strong opinions. But that didn't stop me from listening to CGS. Then I realized he contributed a whole new dimension to the podcast in terms of indie comics and films. His critiques were insightful; his knowledge of how the film industry works detailed; I was happy to hear his voice on the episode intro. But like Peter, Mike will move on. I now listen to Peter's podcast and it is great. I plan to follow Mike to other podcasts so that I can hear his voice once more. I would love to hear a movie-themed podcast from Mike. But other podcasts won't have that familiar CGS banter I'm so use to hearing because I doubt there is another group of friends each contributing so much to a podcast. I've listened to many other comics-related podcasts and none of them have the CGS magic. I feel the Golden Age of CGS has ended.

I'll still listen to CGS. I'm thankful that Bryan created the podcast and keeps it going. I enjoy the comments of each of the remaining CGS members. Every good organization has a strong leader and that is what Bryan is. Even today, I listen to CGS podcasts from years past while on my long commutes, walking the dogs and just kicking back and sipping a beer. They have been my surrogate friends for years and I just hate losing a friend. I figure five years from now, I'll still be listening to those old podcasts so that I can experience some of that old magic again.

Good luck to CGS and Mike. I appreciate all the hard work all of you have put into the podcasts. I'll stop in every once in a while to catch up.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Except back then, they were called "firepits".
  • Options
    John does the job better than anyone! I've always appreciated his friendship.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

"Life Is Like High School, With Ashtrays",

I've heard this before, but it was describing college.
    "College is like High School with ashtrays"

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

Same with me. They were outside in the courtyard. And you could smoke if you had a note from your parents saying they knew. Weird thing was this was the late 80s early 90s.

• Options
    NKQ said:

When Mike joined the crew, I hated his comments and even his voice! He was a "know-it-all" with strong opinions. But that didn't stop me from listening to CGS. Then I realized he contributed a whole new dimension to the podcast in terms of indie comics and films. His critiques were insightful; his knowledge of how the film industry works detailed; I was happy to hear his voice on the episode intro. But like Peter, Mike will move on. I now listen to Peter's podcast and it is great. I plan to follow Mike to other podcasts so that I can hear his voice once more. I would love to hear a movie-themed podcast from Mike. But other podcasts won't have that familiar CGS banter I'm so use to hearing because I doubt there is another group of friends each contributing so much to a podcast. I've listened to many other comics-related podcasts and none of them have the CGS magic. I feel the Golden Age of CGS has ended.

Agreed. But I would say the end of the CGS Golden Age is when Kevin left. Losing Mike is the end of the Silver Age. So I wonder what will end the Bronze Age of CGS?
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

This must be an American thing??? I'm totally oblivious to this saying.
  • Options
    rebis said:

"Life Is Like High School, With Ashtrays",

I've heard this before, but it was describing college.
    "College is like High School with ashtrays"

I've heard it as "high school is like he'll with demons running amok & there needs to be a sexy slayer to keep them back." Of course, that could just be because I always have Sarah Michelle Gellar on my mind!

M
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

NKQ said:

Agreed. But I would say the end of the CGS Golden Age is when Kevin left. Losing Mike is the end of the Silver Age. So I wonder what will end the Bronze Age of CGS?
    Actually, Kevin hasn't left in that manner. There's rumblings he'll be making some more appearances in the future.

M
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    We had smoking areas in my high school. But this was Kentucky, where every baby was given a carton of Newports in their crib at the hospital.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

NKQ said:

When Jim Shooter comes in, tells them to aim the show at 12 year olds, no one can use a word longer than two syllables and Vince Colletta inks everything.

That's also when I quit listening.
  • Options

WetRats said:

We made ashtrays in art class and gun racks in shop class.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Actually, Kevin hasn't left in that manner. There's rumblings he'll be making some more appearances in the future.

Oh, is that what happened in Maine yesterday?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Oh, is that what happened in Maine yesterday?
    Why is it whenever my home state makes the news lately I just hang my head and walk away muttering to myself?
  • Options
    Matt said:

dubbat138 said:

NKQ said:

M

What I meant was when Kevin stopped being on pretty much every episode. I know he still comes back a few times each year.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

We made ashtrays in art class and gun racks in shop class.
    We did the same thing. It wasn't that uncommon during hunting season to see trucks in the student parking lot with unloaded rifles in the back window. Lots of people I knew would go hunting before and after school each day.

• Options

Why is it whenever my home state makes the news lately I just hang my head and walk away muttering to myself?

You know I feel your pain ... and am stuck doing the same thing.

chris