Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Justice League set for 2015

Warners Sets "Justice League" For 2015

(darkhorizons.com) With their court win over the rights to Superman behind them, Warner Bros. Pictures is wasting no time and is already said to be accelerating development of its planned "Justice League" movie.

The L.A. Times reports that Warner hopes to shoot the film next year and have it ready for release Summer 2015. The script is already well underway, the next big hurdle is attaching a director and then a cast.

The studio is taking the opposite approach of DC's main rival Marvel. While Marvel built their own standalone film series before teaming the characters for "The Avengers", Warners and DC will spin off its superheroes into their own movies following their introduction in "Justice League."

The date puts the film in direct competition with Marvel's "Avengers" sequel which is slated for May 1st 2015. 'Justice' will no doubt take a mid-late July weekend which Warners has had great success with regarding the two most recent Chris Nolan "Dark Knight" films.

We know Christian Bale isn't coming back, so the big question now is if Henry Cavill or Ryan Reynolds will reprise their Superman and Green Lantern roles respectively in 'Justice'?

Comments

• Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    I felt a tremor in the force...
    This is a courageous move by Warner, without the big build up that Marvel used so successfully they're trading on Man of Steel (which hasn't even hit the public eye yet) and brand power (which is admittedly amazing).

The very nature of this film reeks of expense, even the frugal Marvel couldn't make Avengers for less than $200m and this has to be at least as expensive.

But I'll be there, it's the film I've wanted from them for a very long time, just not quite the way I expected to get it.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Awesome news. I liked Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern. I say bring him back.
  • Options
    Having established the GL Corps, I'd like them to go with Guy or John. Kyle might be a bit too samey compared to Reynolds's version.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'd like to see John.
  • Options
    Can anyone else Morena Baccarin as Wonder Woman???
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Can anyone else Morena Baccarin as Wonder Woman???

If she could tone up a bit then yes, have thought she could capture Diana since I first saw her in Firefly.

• Options
    Yeah that's the Morena I'm thinking of. Think she'd be an awesome Diana.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    And her boyfriend, Steve Trevor, could return to America after being a prisoner of war for years...

But has he been turned?
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited October 2012
    imagePhotobucket" />

For my money, Lynn Collins would make a perfect Wonder Woman. Her performance in the underrated "John Carter" sealed the deal for me. And for Batman, how about her leading man, Taylor Kitsche?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    kiwijase said:

imagePhotobucket" />

For my money, Lynn Collins would make a perfect Wonder Woman. Her performance in the underrated "John Carter" sealed the deal for me. And for Batman, how about her leading man, Taylor Kitsche?

I've been thinking Ryan Goslin for Batman.

M

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    mrfusion said:

Warners Sets "Justice League" For 2015

(darkhorizons.com) With their court win over the rights to Superman behind them, Warner Bros. Pictures is wasting no time and is already said to be accelerating development of its planned "Justice League" movie.

The L.A. Times reports that Warner hopes to shoot the film next year and have it ready for release Summer 2015. The script is already well underway, the next big hurdle is attaching a director and then a cast.

The studio is taking the opposite approach of DC's main rival Marvel. While Marvel built their own standalone film series before teaming the characters for "The Avengers", Warners and DC will spin off its superheroes into their own movies following their introduction in "Justice League."

The date puts the film in direct competition with Marvel's "Avengers" sequel which is slated for May 1st 2015. 'Justice' will no doubt take a mid-late July weekend which Warners has had great success with regarding the two most recent Chris Nolan "Dark Knight" films.

We know Christian Bale isn't coming back, so the big question now is if Henry Cavill or Ryan Reynolds will reprise their Superman and Green Lantern roles respectively in 'Justice'?

Im highly skeptical. I highly doubt it will be ready for 2015, and also that Bale will really be in it. If Man of Steel does bad it will change many things.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    I honestly think those actresses are out of the age range for Wonder Woman. I mean, we're talking about a role that's going to span a Justice League movies and who knows how many solo movies. That's at least a decade and they'd want/need an actress who can maintain a certain look throughout that decade. I'm not sure if actresses who will be 36 (Baccarin) and 38 (Collins) by the time Justice League is released fit the role.

As for Batman, though unconfirmed, there are rumors that Armie Hammer is at the top of WB's list.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    How about a Motion capture movie? I think it would be awesome to see an adaption of Kingdom Come, with the characters done in the style of Alex Ross.
  • Options
    tazmaniak said:

I honestly think those actresses are out of the age range for Wonder Woman. I mean, we're talking about a role that's going to span a Justice League movies and who knows how many solo movies. That's at least a decade and they'd want/need an actress who can maintain a certain look throughout that decade. I'm not sure if actresses who will be 36 (Baccarin) and 38 (Collins) by the time Justice League is released fit the role.

That's a very good point, I didn't realise Collins was that old. I'd've said she was a good 8yrs younger.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    edited October 2012
    Gargoyle said:

The very nature of this film reeks of expense, even the frugal Marvel couldn't make Avengers for less than $200m and this has to be at least as expensive.

I believe this should say "The very nature of this film reeks of expense, even the frugal Marvel couldn't make Avengers for less than $200m and this should be/needs to be at least as expensive."

I just hope that a few of those dollars go to decent writing. DC/Warner Bros. comic movies have no problem blowing me away with special effects, but, man, the writing in their films is generally abysmal.
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    Matt said:

kiwijase said:

imagePhotobucket" />

I've been thinking Ryan Gosling for Batman.

M

Oh God, our Twitter conversations are warping the world, Matt. As good as RG is, can he do dark brown hair and a cowl?

On the topic of the age of Lynn Collins and Bacarrin, people forget that Downey is like 45 now. Age ain't nothin but a number.
  • Options
    JCB said:

Matt said:

kiwijase said:

imagePhotobucket" />

I've been thinking Ryan Gosling for Batman.

M

Oh God, our Twitter conversations are warping the world, Matt. As good as RG is, can he do dark brown hair and a cowl?

On the topic of the age of Lynn Collins and Bacarrin, people forget that Downey is like 45 now. Age ain't nothin but a number.
    Doesn't Val Kilmer have near blonde hair? (Just saying!)

M

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I think this is ass backwards. Marvel's Avengers brought together heroes the general public had been seeing in solo movies for a few years. I think there was some real anticipation by the time the movie came out.

Granted, putting together a team of the Big Seven in a movie will build excitement no matter what. However I think taking it slowly, introducing these characters in solo movies first, would be the best way to go.
  • Options
    If there's a black canary I think Katheryn winnick would be perfect.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2012
  • Options
    So effectively they are using the halo effect of the Avengers and relying on people knowing about the films main characters rather than building their own interest by having solo films, it could all go so wrong but that's the risk of playing catch up like this. Lets hope they can buck the trend and actually make a good super hero movie that's fun.
  • Options
    The more I think about this, the more I'm less worried about a team movie before solo films. You figure, beyond the Hulk, how many people really knew about the members of the Avengers before the solo movies? Justice League doesn't have that issue. Beyond Batman, Superman, GL, & Wonder Woman, how many other members will be on the team? Out of those 4, WW is the only one without a movie (though I'd argue most people are familiar with her basic concept.) lets presume the team is rounded out with the Flash, Aquaman, & J'onn J'onzz. J'onn would probably need the longest introduction of the group, so just mimick the Justice League pilot.

I think JL has an advantage of doing things in this order because besides Superfriends, there's been Justice League, Brave & the Bold, etc. Before Iron Man, there wasn't really a platform to showcase the Avengers lineup. DC characters have been more accessible to people between live-action & cartoons more so than Marvel (excluding Spidey & X-Men.)

I'm more concerned they'll rush this movie & crowbar characters (Cyborg, another female hero) into the lineup.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

I'm more concerned they'll rush this movie & crowbar characters (Cyborg, another female hero) into the lineup.

Martian Manhunter is pretty unlikely to make the cut. He makes Superman seem less super, and less alien.

Cyborg's pretty much a shoo-in at this point.

No Black Canary or Green Arrow, since they're busy on the WB.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used Hawgirl instead of Aquaman, though they've been working very hard lately at building up old Fish-breath's IP.
  • Options
    Matt said:

J'onn would probably need the longest introduction of the group, so just mimick the Justice League pilot.

I'm confused by that sentence. Not sure what you mean.
  • Options

Matt said:

J'onn would probably need the longest introduction of the group, so just mimick the Justice League pilot.

I'm confused by that sentence. Not sure what you mean.
    I think the other characters are basically known enough to only really need a sentence or two to cover who/what he/she is. JJ might need a little more to explain who he is, powers, origin, etc. the JL cartoon pilot, I thought, covered it well.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Martian Manhunter is pretty unlikely to make the cut. He makes Superman seem less super, and less alien.

Cyborg's pretty much a shoo-in at this point.

No Black Canary or Green Arrow, since they're busy on the WB.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used Hawgirl instead of Aquaman, though they've been working very hard lately at building up old Fish-breath's IP.
    Yeah, I'm thinking Cyborg will be in there. They should cram Superman's son in there also to REALLY turn me off to the movie! Throw in Ryan Reynolds as GL and I might have to wait for Netflix.

M

• Options
    Well, they'll definitely put in the big three (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) because they're the best known and most iconic of the entire JLA.

I'm pretty sure they'll throw in Green Lantern (Hal), Flash (Barry) and Aquaman because they're also pretty well known -- the recent GL movie, the Flash TV show (even after twenty-some years)... and they're really working on getting Aquaman up to that iconic level.

The seventh member -- if they go with seven members -- is up for grabs. I'm also thinking they'll throw in Cyborg because they've really been pushing his importance to the League in the comics. But, as much as I like the character, I don't want him in the movie. I want J'onn J'onzz, because I like him much better, and because he was one of the founding members, and, by God! I want all of the original founding members in this movie!

And I wouldn't cry if they even threw in Snapper Carr for good measure.
  • Options

Well, they'll definitely put in the big three (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) because they're the best known and most iconic of the entire JLA.

I'm pretty sure they'll throw in Green Lantern (Hal), Flash (Barry) and Aquaman because they're also pretty well known -- the recent GL movie, the Flash TV show (even after twenty-some years)... and they're really working on getting Aquaman up to that iconic level.

The seventh member -- if they go with seven members -- is up for grabs. I'm also thinking they'll throw in Cyborg because they've really been pushing his importance to the League in the comics. But, as much as I like the character, I don't want him in the movie. I want J'onn J'onzz, because I like him much better, and because he was one of the founding members, and, by God! I want all of the original founding members in this movie!

And I wouldn't cry if they even threw in Snapper Carr for good measure.

That's my problem with Cyborg (and the general theme with the New52), he's been pushed into our faces. I have no issues with the character or the idea of diversity, but it should've been more organic then it was. Forcing me to like or do something never really works.

M