Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Liefeld Retires! UPDATE- Just taking a break from comics

2»

Comments

• Options
    WoodWood Posts: 19
    WetRats said:

Wood said:

Rob (who full disclosure is a buddy of mine) is not retired. He's just fried from the Marvel and DC shenanigans (and believe me he's not alone), and also has some Hollywood things keeping him busy (and paid).

If you can judge a man by the quality of his friends, then I've been woefully underestimating Mr. Liefeld.
    I have missed you my friend! You haven't been around her or the 11 O'Clock forums in ages. How are you? Stop by EOC and say whatup to the boys.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Wood said:

@John_Steed art is subjective, and I can't say that every piece of Rob's art has been a pillar of anatomical perfection. BUT...he was one of the first artists who really excited me, who caused me to look at art for the sake of it rather than because it was the next in the line of comics/characters I followed anyway. My appreciation for him now is much more personal than any attempt to defend his career. He does a good enough job of that on his own.

again - I love your insight

:x
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Wood said:

WetRats said:

Wood said:

Rob (who full disclosure is a buddy of mine) is not retired. He's just fried from the Marvel and DC shenanigans (and believe me he's not alone), and also has some Hollywood things keeping him busy (and paid).

If you can judge a man by the quality of his friends, then I've been woefully underestimating Mr. Liefeld.
    I have missed you my friend! You haven't been around her or the 11 O'Clock forums in ages. How are you? Stop by EOC and say whatup to the boys.
    Will do.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Those don't look like tears...ewwwwww.

:-&
    shouldn't the milk come out from his man-boobs??

ah, enough. bashing him is getting tiring. instead, good luck! you will be missed, one way or the other...
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    OK, so when Liefeld said he was going to retire, he meant it in a kind of Masterpiece Theatre way? "I believe I shall retire."
  • Options
    Wait, isn't Scott Lobdell our current whipping boy?

WHY THE HELL NOT?

As for Rob, I've said it publically enough to continue saying it: He's not my cup of tea, but the energy and excitement he put into art got a LOT of teenage boys reading comics in the late 80's and early 90's. You CAN do good comics without being great with anatomy. I love Kirby more every day, but he drew the anatomy that made the story exciting, even if he didn't exactly draw like Brune Hogarth.

But I don't deny that he probably got a lot of people to say "I can draw like that, and it's fun!" at the beginning of their art careers.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Wait, isn't Scott Lobdell our current whipping boy?

WHY THE HELL NOT?

Gotta agree Lobdell was one of the worst writers in the 90s. I want to say he was writing Uncanny X-men when I stopped reading it. I was shocked when I found out that not only is he still working but he has a huge fan following.