Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Young Justice

Descriptions for episodes 24-26 of season 1 and episode 1 of season 2.

worldsfinestonline.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=1294

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Argh, I really need to catch up on this show.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Don't forget to watch the season finale tomorrow morning.Greg Weisman promises it will go out with a bang, ending with a chilling event that takes us into season 2, which kicks off next week.

Here's a trailer for season 2, Invasion.It may feature some spoilers, so you may want to watch it after the finale.

Young Justice

Weisman also gave a recent production update.

Ask Greg
    YJ UPDATE

It's been a bit of a while, so I thought I'd post a production update on Young Justice:

SEASON ONE
    101-125 have all aired.
    126 airs this coming Saturday and Sunday on Cartoon Network. (Check local listings and cable guides.) It's our big finale. You REALLY don't want to miss it.

SEASON TWO
    201-206 are all in the can, and currently scheduled to begin airing one week after our Season One Finale. (Which makes me happy.)
    207 - We previewed the music score today and we're mixing it on Thursday. If all goes well, it should be in the can by Tuesday at the latest.
    208 - We spotted the music today. And should be in the can one week after 207.
    209 comes back from overseas tomorrow for retakes and editing.
    210-211 should arrive on the heals of 209. We still need to pick up one actor (who was unavailable at the time of the original recording) for these two shows in ADR, but that'll take about an hour or two for both episodes. It won't cause any delays.
    212-216 are all overseas being animated.
    217 ships today.
    218 is in storyboard revision.
    219 is waiting for Brandon and I to give notes on the storyboard.
    220 - The board is being cleaned up now for notes.

COMIC BOOK
    Issues 0-14 have all hit the stands and are available at stores or on-line.
    Issue 15 concludes our Atlantis two-parter hits the stands this week.
    Issue 16 is at the printers.
    Issue 17 is being pencilled.
    Issue 18 is scripted and waiting its turn.
    Issue 19 is plotted and is being scripted now.
    Issues 20-22 have been pretty much locked down story-wise, i.e. I know exactly what stories we're telling in these issues.
    Issues 23 and Beyond - I've already got a fairly clear idea of where we're going and what stories we're going to tell. Not locked in, but I'm pretty clear.
  • Options
    I had my doubts about this show before it premiered but I have really enjoyed it. While still lacking something to put it up there with the Timm animated universe IMHO, Young Justice has been very fun to watch.

I think the way they use elements from the history of the DC universe but also blend in some continuity twists is excellent. Also, I think they have used some lesser known villains very well.

A really great show overall, I'm glad DC is making an effort to have superhero cartoons on Saturday mornings. I think one of the biggest influences on me be a lifelong comics geek was watching things like Challenge of the Superfriends on Saturday mornings in the early 80's.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Season 2 starts tomorrow. Someone already mentioned this in the episode 1219 talkback, but some cable providers are listing it as an entirely new series, so don't forget to make sure it's programmed correctly.

Cartoon Network's May schedule was released and they will be airing at least 6 episodes from Invasion between now and the beginning of June.

Check out the descriptions.

The World's Finest

New voice actors for Invasion include Mae Whitman as Wonder Girl, Michael Trucco as Adam Strange and Tim Curry as G. Gordon Godfrey.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Like others, I did not care for this show when it first aired. I thought the story moved to slow and was not a fan of the animation style. I stop watching it around the second or third episode.

But when they created the DC Nation animation hour I started to watch it again and boy was I surprised at how much better it got. Now it has earned a place on my DVR and the animation style has grown on me.

Season Two started out strong and it was cool to see the new characters. I recognized almost all them and thought it was a great mix of heroes.

One question who is the guy that is on gamma squad with Robin and Blue Beetle?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    One question who is the guy that is on gamma squad with Robin and Blue Beetle?
    Lagoon Boy (dont really know anything about him though.
    I may have missed it, but who was the black man in plain clothes directing the mission? Mr. Terrific?
    Love having Nightwing and Batgirl and dug their designs and how they interacted with each other. Happy to see Beast boy and WonderGirl too but not in love with BBs design.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    The guy directing the mission was Mal Duncan. We met him and Bumblebee in episode 10 when Superboy and Miss Martian started school. He's had several superhero aliases in the comics, including Guardian, Herald, Hornblower and Vox.
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    I must be in the minority of those who have enjoyed the series since the beginning. I thought the animation was better than even some of the DCAU movies and the voice acting was top notch. Kevin Conroy will always be the definitive Batman for me but Bruce Greenwood is a great substitute. Listening to Shane talk about it, I kept wanting to hear him say what exactly it was he did not like about the show. About the only things that have bothered me are the way Superboy acted, how robotic Red Tornado is and some of the costume designs (Guardian, the Hawks and Martian Manhunter). They have definitely stepped it up a notch with advance in time and the addition of new members. I can't say I am happy about how they've jumped so far ahead bacause it leave so much unanswered questions. Still, I am looking forward to what is going to happen and hope it does not take so long to get this second season out. Batlaw, the black guy is Mal Duncan, who was in the Teen Titans with Bumblebee. He's gone by several names, including Guardian, Hornblower and Vox and the last time I saw him was in 52 when he had somehow become merged with part of Red Tornado.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    It actually kinda irked me to hear that people disliked it at first. This is actually the first board I've been on where someone was actively put off by it initially. I was sold from the first episode. After only one season, it's become my favorite of any animated superhero show.

Anyway, glad those who weren't taken with it at the start grew to enjoy it as it went on. I know some of the guys felt that way, but what about the listeners? Did the show interest you from the jump or did it take some time for you to get into it?
  • Options
    some time... I just wanted to watch other things first. It isn't high on the list I want to watch,, but then it allowed me to watch a bunch in a row, which I love. (Netflix has broken me of the "appointment viewing") So, powering through a number of episodes is fun.

I would buy the DVDs when/if they come out.
  • Options
    "Mal Duncan"... wow, not sure Ive ever even heard of that character before. Sounds like a New Genesis character. mustve missed episode 10 since I dont remember anything about the team going to school or seeing Bumblebee before now.
    Ive enjoyed the show from the start but its definately improved and grown on me even more the least several episodes.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    "Mal Duncan"... wow, not sure Ive ever even heard of that character before. Sounds like a New Genesis character. mustve missed episode 10 since I dont remember anything about the team going to school or seeing Bumblebee before now.
    Ive enjoyed the show from the start but its definately improved and grown on me even more the least several episodes.
    Mal mainly appeared in the original Teen Titans comic. I had never heard of him till that one annual of Secret Origins which told the Teen Titans origins.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2012
    So far with Young Justice the only thing I have seen was the premiere "movie" . I did enjoy it ,but haven't watched YJ since then.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I just wrote the Titans entry for an upcoming book and Mal Duncan was from that late 1960s/early 1970s Titans West era. I believe he's the first African American Titan but he's been little more than a very minor character for decades. It's nice to see the tv writers have done there homework on DC history. Can Lilith be on the horizon? There's just something about a sexy go-go dancer with psychic powers.
  • Options
    Episode 10 was Targets. That's the one where Roy went to Taipei and encountered Cheshire and Sportsmaster. Mal almost got into it with Superboy before school started.

He was briefly shown in Failsafe, but had no lines. He was in Secrets, which was the Halloween episode. He was dressed in Superboy's 90s costume and he called it "Superman done right". He was also in Misplaced, but had no lines.
  • Options
    I still can't believe we're in a second season already. This is awesome!

I'm still catching up on the first.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    A few people are upset with the direction of season 2, but I'm digging it. It means more characters to play with. I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with the characters we didn't see.

If anyone was paying attention, we now have at least 22 Team members, as Blue Beetle's designation was B22. Season 1 had 9, Designation 1-9. The premiere introduced us to 8 new members, so we should meet 5 or more in the coming episodes.

The League also has 26 members. We are told Zatanna and Rocket are the newest members and their designations are 25 and 26. Season 1 had 21 members who took designations 1-21. We saw Black Lightning, who is probably 21, so that leaves 23 and 24.
  • Options
    Still catching up. Currently on 23.

I love that the Spectacular Spider-Man's in it, fighting the archers.
  • Options
    Still catching up. Currently on 23.

I love that the Spectacular Spider-Man's in it, fighting the archers.
    That was a nice little nod to Greg Weisman's previous series.

That episode also had a nod to Justice League Unlimited. Green Arrow and Red Arrow stop some robbers at the Save-Big grocery store and GA tells him he has been accepted into the League. During the first episode of JLU, Green Arrow stops a group of robbers at a Save-Big and afterwards he is invited to join the League by John Stewart.

We also get a Doctor Who reference. The Zeta-Beam portal Artemis uses at the start of the episode looks like the TARDIS.

That episode included a character introduction, as well. Not sure if you're familiar with Arrowette, but that girl whose father was saved by GA and Artemis was her, Cissie King-Jones. Her father was Bernell Jones.

What about episode 21, "Image"? Did you catch those actors' names in the opening credits of "Hello Megan". This is old school stuff, but they were actual actors from the DCU. Jonathan Lord and Sandra Stanyon portrayed Megan's parents. Lord was the main character in DC's 80s maxi-series, Silver Blade and Stanyon was his lover. Paul Sloane, who portrayed Megan's crush, was the second Two-Face of Earth-Two(I believe). Rita Farr, who portrayed Megan's best friend, is Elast-Girl of the Doom Patrol.

That last one is pretty interesting, because Rita adopted Beast Boy after his parents died in the comics, so it's an interesting connect that they made her and his mother childhood friends.
  • Options

That episode included a character introduction, as well. Not sure if you're familiar with Arrowette, but that girl whose father was saved by GA and Artemis was her, Cissie King-Jones. Her father was Bernell Jones.
    Missed that one. Thanks.

What about episode 21, "Image"? Did you catch those actors' names in the opening credits of "Hello Megan". This is old school stuff, but they were actual actors from the DCU. Jonathan Lord and Sandra Stanyon portrayed Megan's parents. Lord was the main character in DC's 80s maxi-series, Silver Blade and Stanyon was his lover. Paul Sloane, who portrayed Megan's crush, was the second Two-Face of Earth-Two(I believe). Rita Farr, who portrayed Megan's best friend, is Elast-Girl of the Doom Patrol.

That last one is pretty interesting, because Rita adopted Beast Boy after his parents died in the comics, so it's an interesting connect that they made her and his mother childhood friends.
    Caught them.

This show is awesome.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    A few people are upset with the direction of season 2, but I'm digging it. It means more characters to play with. I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with the characters we didn't see.

If anyone was paying attention, we now have at least 22 Team members, as Blue Beetle's designation was B22. Season 1 had 9, Designation 1-9. The premiere introduced us to 8 new members, so we should meet 5 or more in the coming episodes.

The League also has 26 members. We are told Zatanna and Rocket are the newest members and their designations are 25 and 26. Season 1 had 21 members who took designations 1-21. We saw Black Lightning, who is probably 21, so that leaves 23 and 24.
    I like the direction of the show. I love that Tim is now Robin and Dick is now Nightwing. I wished the person who voices Nightwing would have deepened his voice a touch but it's a small gripe. I love how Young Justice has such a wide range of members that represent the various generations from the comics. I'm looking forward to seeing what happened during those five years.
  • Options
    Episode 25 is awesome.

I love how the secrets came out. Not in a contrived way, but in an honest way. Something I did not see happening at all.

And the addition of Rocket is cool as well.

And that ending... I didn't see it coming.
  • Options
    And with the final episode of season one.... so looking forward to season 2.
  • Options
    Episode 25 is awesome.

I love how the secrets came out. Not in a contrived way, but in an honest way. Something I did not see happening at all.

And the addition of Rocket is cool as well.

And that ending... I didn't see it coming.
    Let me ask you something. What did you think of Rocket's voice actor? I honestly had no issues with her, but the IMDB and Toonzone forums kinda blew up because a lot of people felt her delivery was too "ghetto" or too stereotypical. As someone stated, "it set the civil rights movement back about 50 years or so".

Did you feel like that, at all?
  • Options

Let me ask you something. What did you think of Rocket's voice actor? I honestly had no issues with her, but the IMDB and Toonzone forums kinda blew up because a lot of people felt her delivery was too "ghetto" or too stereotypical. As someone stated, "it set the civil rights movement back about 50 years or so".

Did you feel like that, at all?
    I did notice the delivery was different, but had no problems with it.
  • Options
    Having just started the first episode of season two... what the hell?

More later.
  • Options
    Having finished it, I liked the episode.

I still feel a bit off-kilter with the big time-skip, but hey, my favorite anime of all time is Dragon Ball Z. they did time-skips all the time.

I really like this mix of characters, but I have a ton of questions that I hope are answered sometime over the course of the season.
  • Options
    Let me ask you something. What did you think of Rocket's voice actor? I honestly had no issues with her, but the IMDB and Toonzone forums kinda blew up because a lot of people felt her delivery was too "ghetto" or too stereotypical. As someone stated, "it set the civil rights movement back about 50 years or so". Did you feel like that, at all?
    I know this wasnt addressed to me but I have to say that bugged the living hell outa me. It honestly couldve made the show near unwatchable for me had it become constant. I was so relieved she wasnt in the next episode.

• Options
    Clips from the next episode, Salvage. "While Superboy and Blue Beetle battle Intergang, Nightwing and company try to salvage the soul of a former comrade fallen from grace."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnM1sXU4n60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mAakx-SaFw

Greg Weisman also promises another time jump if the series is picked up for season 3.

Ask Greg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Another time jump..... vunderbar.

Still, I'm not hating this season, and have yet to see anything past the first episode (time constraints), so it could be good.