Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel Now! Reviews and Trends So Far (spoilers)

I have been meaning to get some more individual, spoiler-filled discussions going on more of the Marvel Now! #1s, as the individual reviews of the New 52 launch made for some fun discussion. But, until then, I thought enough of the books have launched now that there is a chance to talk about the trends we are seeing so far.

For me, a trend that has surprised me so far is that the books seem to be taking a turn away from grim and gritty. This is not to say that there is not still plenty of violence and melodrama, but so far things feel a little more hopeful and aspirational, and even where there are things like exposed brains, the tone to me is more pulpy than edgy. You know what I mean?

I wasn't reading all of these titles before the Marvel Now! launch, so I can't speak to all the specifics (though I would welcome others to do so and fill in those blanks). But coming off of an age of story after story of heroes fighting heroes, lots of character deaths, and ripped from the headlines stories about terrorism or conflicts over nationalism, I have so far found these issues to be more escapist, speculative, and even hopeful fare. Some cases in point (and here is where we will get into some story spoilers, or at least, premise spoilers, though these are only current to the #1 issue)

Uncanny Avengers- Sure, they are still playing out the fallout of the hero on hero Avengers/X-Men war, and the new round of anti-mutant sentiment it caused. In that way, it is still an X-book. But they also Bring Back a Bad Guy. In fact, one of the most uncomplicated, clearly capital E Evil of bad guys, The Red Skull. And he is stealing mutant brains. BRAINS! Pure mad scientist pulp. To me, that is a much lighter story to tell, fighting back against a baddie, than the many prior stories of X-Men fighting the Avengers, or two ideological camps of X-Men fighting each other.

All New X-Men- This one takes the let's-pull-back-from-the-darkness trend to the meta level. The very premise of the book is that Beast, ashamed of who Scott has become, actually goes back in time to get the old him to come talk some sense into the current him.

Captain America- As I mentioned in another thread, following the nearly 10 year Brubaker era was going to be a hard act to follow for anyone. I think it was smart to start this book off in such a different way. At a point where Cap is faced with a big life decision, he gets all Secret Wars space-napped to Zolandia. ZOLANDIA. Come on, now. More pulpy fun in a story that, I would guess, will not be some complicated rumination around American identity. It will be a fight against baddies on a distant baddie planet.

Iron Man- This one is harder to judge, as the Fraction/Larroca era of this book would often start a story the same way that this book started: with an aspirational Tony Stark and shiny, celebrity culture art. They guy who has it all and does it all and he may be flawed but you want to BE him. The Richie Rich of the Marvel line. Now, likely this will all get torn down (maybe not as far down as what they did to him in "Tony Stark Disassembled") but likely he will go from having a great time to not having so great of time. And both eras kicked off with a rogue bit of Stark tech out in the world and threatening civilians. So I would say this book so far is going for more of the same, though maybe with an edge of Stark being more up front about what he DOESN'T believe in. We'll see how brave Gillen gets with that angle. If things go further in that direction this book might actually go in a more serious, less escapist direction and be contrary to the trend I am tracking. We'll see.

That is a start. More thoughts on other books later. Anyone else seeing this trend? Or others? Any other general observations on the Marvel Now! you are reading so far?

I WILL ASK THIS FAVOR- I am not looking to have this be another conversation about Marvel's pricing or double-shipping, or the reasons why you don't read Marvel. Those are all valid subjects, and have been widely and often discussed on the forums. So if you are not reading Marvel Now!, then I respect that choice, but I would ask that you not use this particular discussion to tell us why. I am hoping to have a discussion of the work with the other people that are reading it. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    A few more, while I am in the mood to procrastinate on work--

Thor God of Thunder- In some ways an opposite pole to Iron Man, as instead of the story being partly about Tony not believing in God, this book gives us the idea that the cosmos is full of pantheons, and Thor is owning the idea that he is a god to be believed in more than the last time I regularly read Thor (a few years back).

In some ways this is an interesting mix of the movie idea of Asgardians as technological spacemen mistaken for gods mixed with the idea of Thor actually believing he is someone a believer should pray to, which they definitely don't get into in the movies. And while one of the three timelines presented in the book is a kind of doomy Thor: The End, overall the book so far is another trip to space far from the problems of the real world. And the painted (or is it "painted", I don't know) art makes it all seem like a sort of fantasy/heavy metal/airbrushed on the side panel of the van thing to be enjoyed and not taken too seriously. JMS and Copiel grounded Asgard in the Midwest and challenged his character to make sense in that proximity to regular people. By contrast, Aaron and Ribic are surrounding Thor with more Thor, and Thor-ish things. And leaving the real world far behind. I don't think this is a book that will be visiting a small town or New York City anytime soon.
  • Options
    I'm already getting the Avengers and Cap books, since I've been getting those right along anyway. The only one of the NOW books that I'm reconsidering on, thinking that I may get it after all, is the All-New X-Men. I was resisting it because I really didn't want to get into the whole family of X-books again, but the preview looked really, really good, and I've really enjoyed what Bendis did with the Avengers over the past several years.
  • Options
    Really have been enjoying Marvel Now. There's a few books that I don't have interest in but I would say 75% of the books if I had the funds I would be picking up.

Incredible Hulk has been my favorite book so far, I've never really read a hulk comic except for a few with the red hulk in it, but Waid really put forth a great story and the art was very nice.

Thor is my second favorite, the art is just incredible in it. Aaron has become one of my favorite writers over time and he just nailed it with this concept of present, past, and future Thor.

Deadpool I'll be reading till issue 3, I enjoyed it to an extent, but my budget can't hold another ongoing.

All New X-Men I have, but haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm just sticking with it till issue 5 because of Uncanny coming out which sounds like a lot more interesting.

Uncanny Avengers, I really liked the Issue one and thought it set up the story nicely and the art was great.

I liked Captain America's story in Dimension Z, but I'm not a huge fan of JRJR art, so I'm just getting the next issue, but could hop on at a later point.

Fantastic Four, A+X, X-Men Legacy really didn't interest me too much so I didn't pick them up.

My most anticipated books haven't come out yet, Hickman on Avengers and New Avengers, the preview pages just look amazing and the solicits have me really excited.
  • Options
    Indestructible Hulk is the only other one that's tempting me, and that's only because Mark Waid is writing it. But my money just won't stretch that far.

On the other hand, if I win the Lottery tonight, I promise to order the entire Marvel line in my next order. Yea, and a few other lines I spied on my way in!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I picked up my copy of Previews yesterday. Marvel is going to be putting a serious hurt on my wallet. It is going to be tough to decide which titles I'll be able to afford to slide onto my pull list. They ALL look sooooooo good.

I grabbed the first issue of Legacy. Thought it would be an interesting corner of the X-universe to explore. Don't think I will bother with issue #2.

Although... All New X-Men got me to pick up an A-list X-book for the first time in about 5 years. Loved it. Can't wait to see how it all plays out, although I am skeptical how this can sustain for more than 12 issues.

Iron Man already has one strike against it, as I am not a fan of Land's artwork. I'll give it a couple of more issues, but there is some intriguing series coming down the pipe which might deserve my money more.

The stand outs for me (so far) were Fantastic Four and FF #1. They are both going to be pure comic book adventurous fun.

Really looking forward to Avengers next week, and the upcoming New Avengers.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    The only one I've picked up so far is Indestructible Hulk. Mark Waid did a signing last weekend so I had to try it, and I'm glad I did. Picking up on David D's mojo, it is a different, more light hearted Hulk. Ok, maybe not light hearted, but it is not the same old "woe is me" that most Hulk stories seem to be. I'm going to keep picking it up and see where it goes. Mark Waid books are never bad, so it'll be a fun ride.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Fantastic Four #1 - I've already mentioned what I thought about it. It was a set up issue and Fraction did a good job with it. Sure, he has some big shoes to fill after Hickman's run but Fraction did nail the first family down pretty well. Not adding it to my pull list just yet, but I'm looking forward to next few issues.

FF # - It was sold out at my LCS. After hearing damn near everybody there bad mouth Allred's art, it still sold out. Have to wait for the restock next week to read it.

Deadpool #1 & 2 - I need to give both of these another read, tore through them pretty quickly. Tony Moore fits this book. I hope to see him stick around on it.

I'm going to give Fearless Defenders a trial run and Dan Slott is making it awfully hard to drop Spider-Man and Hickman writing Avengers is hard to resist.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Uncanny Avengers #1 - Kind of a slow start - lots of set-up as all of the players are put on the board - but the last page reveal has me hopeful this will be big and bonkers when all is said and done. Curious to go forward, but definitely waiting on the trade due to pricing and the already-reported delays it'll face.

All New X-Men #1
    - Enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would, but I think a lot of that is because Beast is front-and-center in this. If this book stays Hank-centric, I may stick with it, at least in trade (X-Men has always read best for me in chunks).

Fantastic Four #1
    - I liked it, but it didn't feel "new" enough to excite me in the way I hoped it would. Though my interest waned in Hickman's run after a while, it got off to a very exciting start. Something going on with the team's powers, Reed keeping secrets from them for (what he perceives as) their own good, something's up with Franklin... I've seen all that before. Gonna give it another issue (and FF, which I picked up but haven't read yet) to see if it gets going, though.

Captain America #1
    - I loved me some 70s weirdness Cap and 80s superheroics Cap, so this should be right in my wheelhouse, but something felt off about it. The art inconsistencies were definitely part of it, but I think the story overall felt a little too compressed, or maybe even jumpy. Thing A happens, then B, then C, but without much in the way of discussion or even clear transition. Almost feels like a 30 page story cut down to 22. And the beginning with his parents certainly shows the foundations of Cap's character, but it doesn't really pertain to much of anything in the rest of the issue. Leave that out and give me the *actual* story beats that I felt were missed!

Avengers Assemble #9
    - One of the two big surprises for me. Loved this. I like how Kelly Sue DeConnick wrote a story that starts lighthearted, even a little silly, and then turns on a dime into something serious at the end. She has a great ear for dialog and character moments. Not everything has to be Big and Serious. These people spend a lot of time together. Hell, they spend a lot of the issue in the Stark Tower kitchen... the atmosphere is probably going to be a lot more relaxed there than in the meeting room.

Indestructible Hulk - The other big surprise. Managed to read it for free and liked it so much I went out and bought a copy. I love it when the do something new and clever with the Hulk, and the idea of Banner managing his "symptoms" rather than trying and, inevitably, failing to cure himself is one whose time has long since come. Genuinely excited to see where this goes.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    @LibraryBoy I had forgotten about that opening scene in Captain America #1 and I agree it felt out of place. I am sure the idea of 'take a stand/keep getting up' will play out thematically and show up again, but it did feel disconnected from the rest of the issue. I suppose it is also a pet peeve of mine that I feel child abuse and children witnessing domestic abuse is overused in superhero comics. (Boy that sentence felt strange to type) I feel like in so many, maybe MOST cases, the only reason to ever flash back on a character's childhood is either because they or their mother are about to get abused. And not every character has to be Rorschach.

This could be a long-established part of Steve Rogers' life, I forget, but regardless, I don't think he needs it. There are enough formative things going on for him without having to throw that in, too. And it especially felt out of place in an issue that otherwise felt like a fun escape hatch from having to decide whether or not to settle down.
  • Options
    F.F. This is the only Marvel Now(!) book I’ve picked up so far, along with my first issue of FF ever. I’m in it for the Allred, baby, and he didn’t disappoint. Fraction is definitely writing for Allred’s strengths, so there are lots of wacky sci-fi inventions and good acting through facial expressions. Plus, children look their ages, which is always a plus in comics. I think this book fits David_D’s comment about Marvel’s lighter tone.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited December 2012
    I was only getting FF for Jonathan Hickman's brilliant writing; now that he's gone, I've lost all interest in the book. More so because of Allred, who I like on his own work (Madman), but not on traditional superheroes. Doesn't work for me.

On the other hand, I have decided to take a chance and went ahead to order the first HC collection of the All-New X-Men by Bendis. The preview I saw was just too good.

I read the first issue of Captain America, and I'll continue with it (I really like JR JR's art), but I'm not yet certain about the writing. I'll see how it develops, but it is a bit jarring after Brubaker's stint, which was brought me back to the book. I don't have any problem with the sci-fi approach in general though, so I'll see where it goes.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'd like to say a little something about Red She-Hulk..

*ahem*

IT'S GOOD!!!

I liked the first issue but #2 was fantastic. We find out a little bit more as to why she is acting so strange. Plus we get a battle with the Acengers. I have a feeling this title will be short lived and that's too bad.
  • Options
    David_D said:

@LibraryBoy I had forgotten about that opening scene in Captain America #1 and I agree it felt out of place. I am sure the idea of 'take a stand/keep getting up' will play out thematically and show up again, but it did feel disconnected from the rest of the issue. I suppose it is also a pet peeve of mine that I feel child abuse and children witnessing domestic abuse is overused in superhero comics. (Boy that sentence felt strange to type) I feel like in so many, maybe MOST cases, the only reason to ever flash back on a character's childhood is either because they or their mother are about to get abused. And not every character has to be Rorschach.

This could be a long-established part of Steve Rogers' life, I forget, but regardless, I don't think he needs it. There are enough formative things going on for him without having to throw that in, too. And it especially felt out of place in an issue that otherwise felt like a fun escape hatch from having to decide whether or not to settle down.

Steve's father being alcoholic and abusive has been touched on in the past, IIRC, and stated as the reason why he doesn't drink. I don't recall seeing it in this level of detail, though; in fact, on the rare occasions I've seen his boyhood depicted, I've never seen his dad, just his mom (Steve's dad died when he was pretty young, I think).

Regardless, though, I agree that child abuse (like sexual assault) is an overused comic book trope these past couple of decades. If it legitimately serves the story, that's one thing, but a lot of times it's just used as shorthand for "this hero has endured trauma that has toughened them" or "look how evil this villain is to do such a thing." If I can draw another comics/wrestling connection, it's just cheap heat to get the quick, desired reaction from the crowd.

I'm not saying these sorts of events can't or shouldn't happen in comic book stories, just that there's a big difference between writing Serious Events with Serious Consequences and trying to get us to root for the victim (and maybe admire how they overcome such adversity) or boo the villain in the quickest, easiest way possible.
  • Options
    All New X-Men is the only book I have really loved so far and I have really loved it. This is one of those books I can't wait to get the next issue of. Such a brilliant idea for a series.
  • Options
    i've only read Uncanny Avengers and All-New X-Men thus far, with Thor in the to-read pile.

2 issues out, i think i liked the X-Men much better. this doesn't feel Bendis-y to me, in terms of dialogue, unlike when i tried to get into the main Avengers books during the last relaunch. his characters tend to be too quippy for my taste (and i let it pass in this book only because that's Iceman's character). i liked the fact that Beast appears to headline this book and will provide much of the voice for it, but i also hope Iceman really gets to shine (i thought that was gonna happen in Wolverine and the X-Men, after a promising start, but 20 issues in, not quite yet)

as for Uncanny Avengers, what i like is Havok for the same reason i'll be getting the Avegners book (it features long-time favorite X-characters of mine, such as Havok, Sunspot and Cannonball. plus Hickman writing, of course). the art was great, classic Cassaday. it was a bit off-putting and didn't sit well with me what the REd Skull did to Xavier, but hey! he's a real EVIL guy!! nothing he does should sit well with me!

a minor gripe between reading both, though. i did a double take in-between reading the books, with a question concerning Cyclops. he's one one book, in prison. in the other, he's out with the Uncanny X-men core. much so that i had to tweet bendis, who was kind enough to reply that he escaped during Consequences.

anyway... i'll be back in a few. off to read thor.

oh. did anybody read Legacy? i wonder about that Legion kid... last time he did something in response to Xavier being (nearly) dead, we got AoA. intrigued, is all, but not enough to get the book (my wallet screamed "stop!!")
  • Options
    and another... i got off Cap because i just loved the Brubaker run. and i got off Iron Man because i just hate Greg Land's art. i hope the stories will be top-notch so that i'll have reason to come back to them in the future. maybe.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Still waiting for that DCBS box to arrive, but I'm excited by what I'm hearing. For the most part people seem to be enjoying what they're reading. This'll be the first time in about five years I'll be reading Marvel in single issue format...looks like that's a trend that may continue for a bit. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Still waiting for that DCBS box to arrive, but I'm excited by what I'm hearing. For the most part people seem to be enjoying what they're reading. This'll be the first time in about five years I'll be reading Marvel in single issue format...looks like that's a trend that may continue for a bit. :)

I haven't necessarily been wowed by everything I've read so far, but I haven't disliked anything, either. And the book that I have liked, I've really liked and am truly looking forward to seeing where they go. So for me thus far, it hasn't even been hits and misses, more like hits and decents. Pretty good batting average right there.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I have been behind on writing specific reviews, and I will make good on that soon. . .

But I have to say, all in all I have been digging a LOT of what I have been reading from Marvel NOW. Not everything is great. And I am not reading everything. But I have been reading a pretty good chunk of it so far (thanks in part to our Digital Swap Meet discussion and swaps) and there is a lot I am really enjoying. Also, the rate of return on my enjoyment so far makes me intrigued to try more of the various NOWs that are coming.

I get that not everyone has dug it, and I understand why some people wanted a full reboot (though I didn't).

Sure, at the end of the day, it is a highly publicized reshuffle of creative teams and slew of new #1s. And, of course, they are trying to dominate the conversation the way DC did last year, and in that way are following their lead (even if not rebooting, or doing all the restarts in the same month).

But, whoever got their first, whatever it isn't, I can tell you what it is, for me, so far: More Marvel books that I am excited to read than has been the case in a long time. More specifics on that soon, but in the short term, I say keep 'em coming.

Am I alone? Anyone else more than usually enjoying Marvel NOW so far?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    David_D said:

Am I alone? Anyone else more than usually enjoying Marvel NOW so far?

Five years back I gave up on Marvel single issues. I resolved to give Marvel NOW titles a day in court to see if they could win me back. I'm on board for FF, Thunderbolts, and Indestructible Hulk. I have high hopes for X-Force and Defenders.

So yes. Marvel's earning my money again.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I'm a DC guy but at this point going into 2013 i am not collecting a single DC title. I am getting Daredevil, Indestructable Hulk (Waid is always solid), All New X-Men (digging it) and Hawkeye (Fraction at his best).
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    Avengers Arena is an interesting book for me. If I had just read the first issue I am not sure I would have continued on with it. Now having read issues 2 and 3 I am convinced Marvel has Cougar Town'd this book. Cougar Town is supposed to be a really good show that network, the creators, and the stars could never get people to watch because the name of the show was so bad.

I do not think the name Avengers Arena is that bad a name, but the premise seems like such an obvious cash-in that it really hurts what could be a really great book. You could keep almost everything the same about this book, but get rid of the "battle to death" premise and this book would work just as well if not better.
  • Options
    I am getting closer and closer to dropping Iron Man. I cannot get past that art. Land was barely bearable on Uncanny X-Men and he is simply ruining the flow and pacing of Gillen's work here, which is interesting since they worked together there as well.
  • Options
    I don't like the premise of Avengers Arena, and about the one thing the book does for me is to make me realize how much I now miss Avengers Academy. No matter what else this book does, it can't escape the fact that it's essentially a "kill a kid each issue" book, whereas the Academy at least had the premise of trying to help the kids find themselves and a place in the world, as well as being a refuge. Somehow, the fact that the author's name is 'Hopeless' seems to sum up the series itself. I view this as the worst of the new Avengers line-up of books.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    random73 said:

I'm a DC guy but at this point going into 2013 i am not collecting a single DC title. I am getting Daredevil, Indestructable Hulk (Waid is always solid), All New X-Men (digging it) and Hawkeye (Fraction at his best).

I'm right there with you. I'm still buying Batman Inc. & Batman & Robin, but that's it. I'm getting a lot of Marvel Now. The only thing holding me back is the cost.
  • Options
    Picked up Young Avengers #1 this past week and enjoyed the heck out of it. I've never been a big fan of the group - read the original mini-series but never saw what the fuss was about - but the Phonogram team of Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie (with art assist by Mike Norton) made me want to check this out. There were a few things I was a little confused by (Is Loki a kid now or is this a time-displaced Loki? Has Ms. America appeared before, and if so (or even if not), how does she connect to Lil' Loki?), but the story was written well-enough that I was intrigued by these questions rather than put off by them, and I'm looking forward to getting answers.

I also liked that the story began with Kate Bishop, a character I have come to enjoy thanks to Fraction's Hawkeye book, and seeing her philosophy of superheroics come into play in a fun, visually well-designed manner was a great hook. Also, it's cool that Noh-Varr likes 60s girl groups. That's the sort of detail I'd expect from the team that gave us the excellently music-oriented Phonogram.

Don't know yet if this is a monthly buy or not, but I'll be back for #2.
  • Options
    Loki was 'reborn' as a kid shortly after the Siege storyline, where the adult Loki sacrificed himself to save Asgard.
  • Options
    BListerBLister Posts: 23
    It is most definitely working for me. DC has driven me away, and Marvel seems inviting.
  • Options

Loki was 'reborn' as a kid shortly after the Siege storyline, where the adult Loki sacrificed himself to save Asgard.

Awesome, thanks!

Follow-up question - was that the same young Loki who appeared in Journey Into Mystery prior to the current Sif story, or was that just Loki when he was a kid the first time around?

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited January 2013

Awesome, thanks!

Follow-up question - was that the same young Loki who appeared in Journey Into Mystery prior to the current Sif story, or was that just Loki when he was a kid the first time around?

Same Loki. A lot of those Journey Into Mystery issues tied into Fear Itself, dealing with Loki trying to aid Thor and Asgard by means of his inherent skills: scheming and deceit.